Why are Subarus so popular?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Iowa David

Why are Subarus so popular?

Post by Iowa David »

We recently retuned from a trip to Colorado and saw Subarus everywhere. Can someone shed some light on what makes these so popular? Is this just a Colorado thing?
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing
tibbitts

Re: Why are Subarus so popular?

Post by tibbitts »

Iowa David wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:01 pm We recently retuned from a trip to Colorado and saw Subarus everywhere. Can someone shed some light on what makes these so popular? Is this just a Colorado thing?
They're popular in many places with snow partly due to having awd long before most non-truck vehicles did.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

To state the obvious. they're popular in snowy climates because they're AWD.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I own one and bought it after having been driving two Lexus RXs for more than 15 years. The Subaru is similar in comfort and luxury at a fraction of the cost and has higher road clearance.

In Texas though there are Ford F150s everywhere.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Easy to drive.
Dependable.
Low maintenance costs.
Safe.
Comfortable.
Great in snow.
Good value.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Iowa David wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:01 pm We recently retuned from a trip to Colorado and saw Subarus everywhere. Can someone shed some light on what makes these so popular? Is this just a Colorado thing?
They were among the first non-truck-based vehicles available with 4x4 or AWD, so they've been historically popular in places where there's snow. You would have found the same, maybe to a greater extent, in Vermont for example.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

They're pretty common here in Washington.

We only get 2-3 snow days a year, but the AWD is useful in our never ending rain, too.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I think Subaru will be in trouble soon though if they don’t get onboard the EV train.

They need to try to translate their superior AWD system to EV as fast as they can.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 am I think Subaru will be in trouble soon though if they don’t get onboard the EV train.

They need to try to translate their superior AWD system to EV as fast as they can.
They’ve offered hybrids for a while. I believe it’s technology Toyota developed. I’d agree that it could be smart to expand it to the Outback, Forester, and Ascent models.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

They have the most sophisticated AWD system on the market and are a good value compared to some of the more flashy SUVs. So about the best snow SUV you can buy. Plus have a good reputation for reliability.

They don't make much sense in climates that don't see any snow.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 am I think Subaru will be in trouble soon though if they don’t get onboard the EV train.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru- ... tly-subaru
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

It's not just a Colorado thing. I live in Maine.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

- Great Visibility
- Excellent AWD system
- Good ground clearance
- Affordable

Besides the above, the company partnered with Feeding America to donate millions of meals, helps replant trees in fire devastated areas and the dog commercials are a win in CO.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

We used to own one, (2002) that car was a bullet. Handle well felt safe, smooth acceleration One time I was doing 90 never even realized it down the highway on a road trip, handled well in snow, good engine (V6). A bit expensive on the upkeep. unfortunately we didn't like the dealership by us so we switched to a Kia.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

In the Northeast you see a fair number in Massachusetts - More in New Hampshire and Vermont - and even greater numbers in Maine where they seem to be a go-to vehicle. Others have nicely summarized the benefits. I like the Outback because it gives you some of the utility of an SUV and yet still drives with a bit like a car - but with great ground clearance and AWD.
wander

Post by wander »

sixtyforty wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:42 am - Excellent AWD system
This!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

1) They became very popular in Colorado because of being inexpensive, reliable cars with standard all-wheel drive, in a state with mountainous roads that are often snowy in winter.

2) This article in the Atlantic says that when they were having trouble marketing "sturdy, but drab" cars in the 1990s, the company launched
a calculated, highly progressive ad campaign
to market it to people whom their research had shown were buying Subarus: teachers and educators, health-care professionals, IT professionals, and outdoorsy types and people with a specific sexual orientation. The campaign was very successful and help the brand break out into public awareness.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Not for their CVT.
Aged Maduro

Post by Aged Maduro »

Subarus are overrated in my opinion. Their overall performance, reliability, safety features and aesthitics are not particulary noteworthy compared to other brands. That nifty all wheel drive thing they have going on is a dime a dozen now. Subaru owners remind me a lot of Volvo drivers from the 80's. The brand seems to fill a psychological void for a slice of the upper middle class that likes to signal their intellectual superiority. From what i can tell, that drives much of their popularity among that demographic.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

Just like all things

At one point they did a specific job really well or were the only product serving that niche
-15 years ago how many vehicles were ready made for rough road trail access and snow
-5 years ago, how many vehicles had adaptive cruise control that functioned in stop and go traffic (me)
-needed a little extra ground clearance to deal with street parking snow banks (me)

At another point they became associated with people that boring people wanted to emulate (fashion)
-people think I'm outdoorsy because I have a subaru, but in reality I'm so busy with my two young kids that a day hike per month is aspirational (me)
-same reason suburban dads now lust after quad cab pick-ups and overlanding modifications (we are insecure in our current life situation)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Mr.BB wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:00 am We used to own one, (2002) that car was a bullet. Handle well felt safe, smooth acceleration One time I was doing 90 never even realized it down the highway on a road trip, handled well in snow, good engine (V6). A bit expensive on the upkeep. unfortunately we didn't like the dealership by us so we switched to a Kia.
Just a minor clarification, Subaru has never sold a single car with a V6 engine in their entire history. The vast majority of their engines are flat fours, and a small number of their vehicles have also had flat sixes. In 2002, I believe the only model with that engine would have been the Outback H6-3.0.

Flat (horizontaly-opposed) engines are relatively unique in the auto industry, with only Subaru and Porsche using them consistently.

Back to the OPs question, Subaru was the first mainstream brand selling AWD sedans and wagons at reasonable prices. They've since cultivated the "anti-suv" niche quite effectively.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We live in TX and own one.

The price was good.
The reliability is great.
We were able to get it without too many bells and whistles which is what we wanted.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Aged Maduro wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:14 am Subarus are overrated in my opinion. Their overall performance, reliability, safety features and aesthitics are not particulary noteworthy compared to other brands. That nifty all wheel drive thing they have going on is a dime a dozen now. Subaru owners remind me a lot of Volvo drivers from the 80's. The brand seems to fill a psychological void for a slice of the upper middle class that likes to signal their intellectual superiority. From what i can tell, that drives much of their popularity among that demographic.
Wow, this is interesting psychology!

I don't know anyone with a Subaru that feels intellectually superior as a result. It's not a flashy car - I always see people looking at it for practical reasons (AWD, safe, albeit kind of boring).
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I always thought until purchasing one that it was because they were effective in areas where there were harsh winters. I suspect much of it is marketing, and it was not my cup of tea, trading it in within six months approximately. One issue is that their acceleration, which is probably about average, is primarily due to a turbo.

Tim
Last edited by Nowizard on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Do subarus still leak/burn oil and does the timing belt still need replaced before it destroys the car? If they switched to a timing chain, im in.

We have a 2006 forester. Thing is a tank in the snow. Much better than my pickup truck...but then again, trucks arent that great in snow due to weight distribution. Ours leaks oil like mad. We're told the heads are bad but we're not going to have those replaced. Leaked for 5 years now...just make sure to stick cardboard under the front wherever you park. I did change out the timing belt and idlers/tensioners, blah blah...wasnt too difficult.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

wilked wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:36 am
Aged Maduro wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:14 am Subarus are overrated in my opinion. Their overall performance, reliability, safety features and aesthitics are not particulary noteworthy compared to other brands. That nifty all wheel drive thing they have going on is a dime a dozen now. Subaru owners remind me a lot of Volvo drivers from the 80's. The brand seems to fill a psychological void for a slice of the upper middle class that likes to signal their intellectual superiority. From what i can tell, that drives much of their popularity among that demographic.

I don't know anyone with a Subaru that feels intellectually superior as a result. It's not a flashy car - I always see people looking at it for practical reasons (AWD, safe, albeit kind of boring).
Agreed - weird take. Most of my freinds/coworkers with intellectual superiority complexes drive BMWs or Audis - they typically look down on those who own Subarus.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

+1
Very true. Shows the effectiveness of marketing and branding.
IE: Lexus vs Toyota, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc. Recently: Jeep Rubicon

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I had one for a year. Handled well, comfortable, well made, AWD, good on snow/rain, etc.

However, I didn't like the CVT (transmission) and the car sits too low for me. So I got something else that my knees like a lot better. :D
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

retiredjg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:46 am I had one for a year. Handled well, comfortable, well made, AWD, good on snow/rain, etc.

However, I didn't like the CVT (transmission) and the car sits too low for me. So I got something else that my knees like a lot better. :D
Thanks for the "knees" advice.
I've been considering a 3rd "car/suv" (tired of driving a pickup my whole life).
Subaru is off the list for those with long legs and bad knees?

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 am
retiredjg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:46 am I had one for a year. Handled well, comfortable, well made, AWD, good on snow/rain, etc.

Thanks for the "knees" advice.
I've been considering a 3rd "car/suv" (tired of driving a pickup my whole life).
Subaru is off the list for those with long legs and bad knees?

It was for me. I had an Outback. I think the Forester sits higher. And mine was about 2012 model - may have changed.
Buford T Justice

Post by Buford T Justice »

FWIW, the April (2021) Consumer Reports issue give the Outback and Forester high marks.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

We bought an Outback when we had kids not for the AWD primarily but because we wanted something in between a mid sized sedan and an SUV. The Outback can haul a lot in the back without feeling like you're driving a Suburban, and it isn't as "lame" as a minivan for first time parents ;)

It isn't the most luxurious car, the quietest, or the most fuel efficient but it does handle well on snowy days and has been bulletproof for the first 5 years we've had it.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

My brother is a mechanic and his comment on Subaru is that for the first 100K they are great cars...after that you will wish you had bought the Toyota. Something about head gaskets...GREAT in snow and lots of room and very good value I think.
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

I have been with two SOs who had Subarus. They were able to keep each of theirs on the road for >15 years.

The first was a manual transmission '87 Legacy, and the last few years it had trouble getting above 45 mph even on flat roads. It had selectable AWD which you could activate by shifting a lever. It did spectacularly well getting in and out of snowbound parking spaces that other cars couldn't use, a decided plus in NYC especially back when there were more snowy winter days.

The second is an '06 Forester with automatic transmission, which has head gasket problems, high maintenance, low miles per gallon, and now power steering problems. It does have good visibility for a shorter (5' 0") driver and was a decent vessel for moving around a young child and all his trinkets as well as for shopping trips. It's also pretty easy to drive. She used to live on a private street up the side of a hill, so the AWD was useful until she moved around seven years ago. Nowadays, in DC, the AWD's not particularly helpful even in the winter.

It hasn't felt like either of them has been a particularly good car but did meet the objectives for which they were purchased. I don't think that my current SO would be particularly inclined to buy another one as she's soured on the level of honesty of the local dealership and questions the reliability.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:06 am We bought an Outback when we had kids not for the AWD primarily but because we wanted something in between a mid sized sedan and an SUV. The Outback can haul a lot in the back without feeling like you're driving a Suburban, and it isn't as "lame" as a minivan for first time parents ;)

It isn't the most luxurious car, the quietest, or the most fuel efficient but it does handle well on snowy days and has been bulletproof for the first 5 years we've had it.
+1

Subaru, the unflavored oatmeal of cars.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Yes. I just went from sedan to Mazda CX-30 that sits just about right height for me getting in/out - no push up getting out to get high enough & no climbing down either.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Other than Audi (and even Audi is moving away from its original Quattro tech) the plethora of so-called AWD vehicles out there today are actually Front-wheel drive for the most part and activate the rear wheels only after some slippage is noted. These front-wheel based systems are better for fuel economy but not as effective in slippery conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TQdIqFvZo
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

coalcracker wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:18 am Subaru, the unflavored oatmeal of cars.
Something else comes to mind looking at all the Outbacks in my neighborhood - It's the alternative to minivans for the legions of younger Gen-X and older Millennials who grew up in uncool, underpowered, and unreliable American minivans of the 80s and 90s.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Subaru sold about 600k cars in 2020 in the US. Toyota sold 2.2 million. Maybe recalibrate what you think is popular?

That said, it’s the cheapest way into AWD and people want AWD.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:11 am My brother is a mechanic and his comment on Subaru is that for the first 100K they are great cars...after that you will wish you had bought the Toyota. Something about head gaskets...GREAT in snow and lots of room and very good value I think.
This is true of the older models. Not true of the newer models.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I have a Forester and am happy with it (yes, the AWD lives up to the hype and not just in snow). Beyond what other people have said, I'm 6'5 and it has incredible headroom without having to drive a massive SUV that is more difficult to maneuver and park if you live in a city.

Having said that, I do have a few complaints. I'm not the biggest fan of the CVT, the glove box doesn't have a light in it and there need to be better lighting in the cargo area.

Also, Subaru isn't really known for having the latest and greatest in tech if that is important for a person (personally, I' think a lot of tech in a car is just more that can go wrong and would be $$ to repair).
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Gort wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:24 pm Easy to drive.
Dependable.
Low maintenance costs.
Safe.
Comfortable.
Great in snow.
Good value.
+1

I own an older Outback and see many of them (older than mine) still on the road. They often command a premium above blue book in my area for re-sale. Now I also see many Foresters and Crossteks on the road as well.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:26 am Subaru sold about 600k cars in 2020 in the US. Toyota sold 2.2 million. Maybe recalibrate what you think is popular?

Toyota also makes everything from small RWD sports coupes to minivans to full-size trucks. Subaru is exceedingly popular here (Utah), there are 6 of them in my family (with 8 total drivers): 5 outbacks and an impreza. There are also three of them in my row of 4 townhomes. I suspect the huge majority of subies are sold in the mountain west and the northeast, with little sales in the rest of the country.

I've driven my mom's and brother's outbacks more times than I can count; not my cup of tea. I HATE the CVT and despite being by a huge margin the most outdoorsy people in our family, we've just never had the need for AWD or more ground clearance. They've generally been reliable mechanically, but both my brothers have had borderline ridiculous electronic/infotainment system issues in their new outbacks.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:26 am Subaru sold about 600k cars in 2020 in the US. Toyota sold 2.2 million. Maybe recalibrate what you think is popular?

OP asked about Colorado where Outback is the best seller so the OP actually calibrated pretty well. Subarus get more popular the further north you go.
"The Subaru Outback sells better in Colorado than any other vehicle, largely due to its flexibility. "
Source: https://squarestateinsurance.com/best-s ... -colorado/ (they pulled data from KBB).
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:44 am

Agreed - weird take. Most of my freinds/coworkers with intellectual superiority complexes drive BMWs or Audis - they typically look down on those who own Subarus.
Everyone thinks they're intellectually superior....haven't you read every single post on this board (and all over the internet)? My decisions are righter and superior to yours (regardless of what they are) :D
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 am
Mr.BB wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:00 am We used to own one, (2002) that car was a bullet. Handle well felt safe, smooth acceleration One time I was doing 90 never even realized it down the highway on a road trip, handled well in snow, good engine (V6). A bit expensive on the upkeep. unfortunately we didn't like the dealership by us so we switched to a Kia.
Just a minor clarification, Subaru has never sold a single car with a V6 engine in their entire history. The vast majority of their engines are flat fours, and a small number of their vehicles have also had flat sixes. In 2002, I believe the only model with that engine would have been the Outback H6-3.0.

Flat (horizontaly-opposed) engines are relatively unique in the auto industry, with only Subaru and Porsche using them consistently.

Back to the OPs question, Subaru was the first mainstream brand selling AWD sedans and wagons at reasonable prices. They've since cultivated the "anti-suv" niche quite effectively.
We had the 3.0 it was the premium model I forgot the lettering code
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 am

We had the 3.0 it was the premium model I forgot the lettering code
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Another reason: Stealth marketing on Social Media such as Bogleheads.org.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

MAKsdad wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 am
SmileyFace wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:44 am

Everyone thinks they're intellectually superior....haven't you read every single post on this board (and all over the internet)? My decisions are righter and superior to yours (regardless of what they are) :D
LOL. I think there are two types on the internet - those that feel they are intellectually superior and those who are cynics and feel everyone else with an opinion or is doing something different than them "thinks" they are intellectually superior but are not (I suppose one could be both of these). Wait - Then there are those with FOMO thinking they are not superior but see others talk about Telsa and Bitcoin or some other speculation and assume those who speak with confidence about their speculations are superior and want to jump on some hot bandwagon (the intellectually superior ones then resist the urge and come to the realization that others really don't know more than them).
Apologies to the OP for going off topic....
philpill

Post by philpill »

we have a 2006 forester and it is superb. no problems and over 200,000 miles. safe and reliable, always top rated by consumer reports. NJ is subaru territory.