Should I get termite inspection?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Blue456

Should I get termite inspection?

Post by Blue456 »

Another question, I trust bogleheads more than general google and I am brand new to home buying. We are getting almost brand new, 8 year hold house in up state New York area. How common are termites in here? The temperatures during winter went down to 0F. Should I get an inspection for an 8 year old house? Current inspector who did general walk through did not see any damage.
tim1999

Re: Should I get termite inspection?

Post by tim1999 »

Get it. It's usually a cheap inspection on top of a regular home inspection ($100?) and termites can be found in most US states.

I've completely bailed on property purchases before due to termite issues that were not obvious to the untrained eye. While your contract with the seller may vary, it's generally easier to wiggle out if you have a professional report stating the issue.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

tim1999 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:51 pm Get it. It's usually a cheap inspection on top of a regular home inspection ($100?) and termites can be found in most US states.

I've completely bailed on property purchases before due to termite issues that were not obvious to the untrained eye. While your contract with the seller may vary, it's generally easier to wiggle out if you have a professional report stating the issue.
It would be better if there was an appropriate inspection contingency, so the seller can't "wiggle out" of anything, either.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm
tim1999 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:51 pm Get it. It's usually a cheap inspection on top of a regular home inspection ($100?) and termites can be found in most US states.

It would be better if there was an appropriate inspection contingency, so the seller can't "wiggle out" of anything, either.

RM
There is but we missed the deadline. So now whatever we find on termite inspection is either on us or we back away from buying the house.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

Blue456 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm

RM
There is but we missed the deadline. So now whatever we find on termite inspection is either on us or we back away from buying the house.
If you can still back away from buying the house, you didn't miss the deadline. Get the termite inspection, then negotiate from there if necessary.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
Adfmacro

Post by Adfmacro »

Even if there are no termites in the house, an inspection can determine if they are nearby and treat the area. Inspections every ten years after treatment and re-treat.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Yes, get the inspection, its a win-win for you and your new house.
If ya dont have em its worth the small fee to actually know.
If ya got em, get a service for treatment & traps and ya know ya need to keep the service and treatedtraps to keep your nice new home termite free.
Its a win-win to know If & How to keep your new house nice...
It's Not Knowing for sure that'll can get your new house damaged!
I live in a semi rural/wooded area - I have termite & insect service - it's bated traps - <$500/yr - and worth it to know the home will stay in good shape & and keeps its value... A win-win allround.
Last edited by kabob on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ensign

Post by ensign »

Blue456 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:32 pm Another question, I trust bogleheads more than general google and I am brand new to home buying. We are getting almost brand new, 8 year hold house in up state New York area. How common are termites in here? The temperatures during winter went down to 0F. Should I get an inspection for an 8 year old house? Current inspector who did general walk through did not see any damage.
For something that costs $50-$100, why WOULDN’T you do it?