Experiences with professional coaching, e.g. BetterUp or others?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
techthedj

Experiences with professional coaching, e.g. BetterUp or others?

Post by techthedj »

With the past year of the pandemic blurring the lines between family/home and work (for those of use fortunate enough to be able to continue/grow our careers), I have been getting more attention at work due to my high performance and track record. Of course, this attention comes with it a lot of growth opportunity, and understandably, potentially higher time/energy commitment.

I have been considering trying out personal / professional coaching. These would along the lines of a more holistic approach that includes mental wellness as a part of professional performance, not just a "career coach" or an "executive coach." Ideally I'd like a "program" approach (e.g. BetterUp or CoachHub) rather than an "individual coach approach" (e.g. Coach Vantage).

Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations they can share? BetterUp looks interesting but I was unable to find any information at all regarding individual pricing.

Somewhat tangential: I am halfway through the book: Off Balance: Getting Beyond the Work-Life Balance Myth to Personal and Professional Satisfaction by Matthew Kelly. It is a good read so far that focuses on maximizing satisfaction via personal and professional achievement, rather than thinking of a strict work/life balance dimension.
Topic Author
techthedj

Re: Experiences with professional coaching, e.g. BetterUp or others?

Post by techthedj »

Quick bump - anyone?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I don’t have any experience, but I think it’s a great idea.

I’m nearing the end of my career. But I really wish I would have done this early on. I learned a lot of things the hard way, and I feel I could have learned them earlier and easier through something like this.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

If you do it, make sure you get Prince Harry as your therapist.
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

techthedj wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:39 pm Quick bump - anyone?
PM sent.
J295

Post by J295 »

I applaud and encourage your interest in this topic.

I don’t have experiences with these programs so can’t speak to them.

I had and still have positive experiences through dialogue with my spouse and a life long close friend.

Perhaps you would find a retreat worthwhile.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I think it would be difficult to find a good coach. Once you found a good coach, how would you know that they improved your performance? You’d have to have some objective measurable goals before going to them and then measure your performance against those goals before and after coaching. With sports it’s easier because there’s a win loss record.

I had a friend that did coaching. His coach was in the same profession as him so there was a professional connection. But just because you’re good at something, doesn’t mean that you know how to teach someone else. Like in therapy, I imagine unless you see a major improvement in five or six sessions then you’re not likely to see an improvement by going longer. That is my two cents.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

I had an exec coach for 6 months, via work. They did wonders helping me get unstuck work wise (I had been putting off making a job change that is very unusual for someone in my line of work (Tech consulting exec)...tho I knew deep down it was something I needed/wanted to do)....With this work change, it triggered a whole bunch of positive changes (that I had also been putting off) forever. So I don't have external recommendations...but, I will tell you, the fit is crucial.

You need to find someone with whom you can be totally honest...Coupled with their ability to hear you, help you, and be grounded with enough experience (with other like minded professionals, not just book learning or certifications) to guide you. It is really like a therapist/patient vibe (but very focused).

To me, it was TOTALLY worth it.
ianferrel

Post by ianferrel »

I did some coaching a few years ago. One of my wife's friends was in a training program to be a coach and needed practice clients. So for me, it was only an investment of time, not money.

I found the experience to be very positive. Self examination is really valuable, but it's hard to be motivated to stick to it in an organized way, and regular meetings with a coach provide the commitment device and social pressure to do so. I still regularly use some of the techniques I learned in coaching when dealing with a dilemma or other issue that I'm finding it hard to move past or reason about, and they help.

In contrast to TechieTechie's experience, I didn't find that specific experience with my professional field was required. My coaching was more open-ended than it was specifically about my work, although of course work and career direction is a big part of what most people seek coaching for.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

ianferrel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:06 pm I did some coaching a few years ago. One of my wife's friends was in a training program to be a coach and needed practice clients. So for me, it was only an investment of time, not money.

I found the experience to be very positive. Self examination is really valuable, but it's hard to be motivated to stick to it in an organized way, and regular meetings with a coach provide the commitment device and social pressure to do so. I still regularly use some of the techniques I learned in coaching when dealing with a dilemma or other issue that I'm finding it hard to move past or reason about, and they help.

In contrast to TechieTechie's experience, I didn't find that specific experience with my professional field was required. My coaching was more open-ended than it was specifically about my work, although of course work and career direction is a big part of what most people seek coaching for.
Sorry, to clarify, I didn't mean experience with a particular field..more significant experience being a coach :)
Topic Author
techthedj

Post by techthedj »

Thank you all for the responses! This has been enlightening.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

TechieTechie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm I had an exec coach for 6 months, via work. They did wonders helping me get unstuck work wise (I had been putting off making a job change that is very unusual for someone in my line of work (Tech consulting exec)...tho I knew deep down it was something I needed/wanted to do)....With this work change, it triggered a whole bunch of positive changes (that I had also been putting off) forever. So I don't have external recommendations...but, I will tell you, the fit is crucial.

You need to find someone with whom you can be totally honest...Coupled with their ability to hear you, help you, and be grounded with enough experience (with other like minded professionals, not just book learning or certifications) to guide you. It is really like a therapist/patient vibe (but very focused).

While I’m glad this worked for you, caveat emptor in a major, major way with being “totally honest” with an executive coach who is paid for by your employer.
UserFace

Post by UserFace »

This is easier said than done, and not quite the said thing, but I thought I would offer it: Consider identifying individuals within your organization you respect/admire, and ask them to be your coach. Especially folks who are closer to retirement age who may be able to offer more work/life perspective, which it sounds like you are looking for, and not just career guidance.

After getting over the initial discomfort of having the first conversations, doing this has been incredibly rewarding throughout my career. Even folks who don't end up taking on a coaching role I find I'm still able to learn a lot from just from meeting once. The relationships formed (and even just showing this sort of interest in growth) has been a tremendous boost to my career on top of just giving me more insight and wisdom than I would have had before. Plus, it's free with a little elbow grease.

Maybe consider this as an adjunct to any more formal coaching program you'd like to pursue.
Topic Author
techthedj

Post by techthedj »

UserFace wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 pm Consider identifying individuals within your organization you respect/admire, and ask them to be your coach.
This is excellent advice - unfortunately there is no one in my current organization that I know that has remotely close ideals, values, and working style to myself. I was able to do something like this in a previous organization - when I was a fairly junior employee.

Serious question: at some point this is no longer possible right? It's not like someone who is VP level has a lot of options for an internal mentor?
UserFace

Post by UserFace »

techthedj wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:32 pm
UserFace wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 pm Consider identifying individuals within your organization you respect/admire, and ask them to be your coach.
This is excellent advice - unfortunately there is no one in my current organization that I know that has remotely close ideals, values, and working style to myself. I was able to do something like this in a previous organization - when I was a fairly junior employee.

Serious question: at some point this is no longer possible right? It's not like someone who is VP level has a lot of options for an internal mentor?
I suppose at the top of the ladder there aren't many rungs above to look for for coaching. At the C-suite level, though, you typically have the automony to hire your own internal coach for the executive team, which you definitely should. You can also look outside the organization to peers or leaders from other organizations. I don't think there's ever a limit to this approach, even though it's shockingly underutilized.
Ralph Furley

Post by Ralph Furley »

I have had a professional coach for going on 9 years. It's been life changing. During this time, I've had four different coaches (with the same coaching company). I have found it necessary to periodically change coaches to keep moving forward. Three of the coaches were specific to my business/role. They helped me through some very tough professional challenges.

The coach I have now is taking a more holistic approach, which I love. This coach understands my business, but they are not a business specific coach. They do what's called transformational coaching. It's much more about helping me to live a great life with intention (different than the executive coaching I had in the past). We have been working on my calendar, personal and professional values, etc. This coach very experienced and so I'm just letting them take me through her process. I have homework to do between our Zoom coaching sessions, which are weekly for 30 minutes. I can't even imagine being without a coach now. And it would feel so strange to not have that relationship in my life.

On another note, you may enjoy reading The ONE Thing by Gary Keller (Co Founder of Keller Williams Realty). I have read it several times. Discusses that balance is a myth - we really do something that looks more like counterbalancing.

If you'd care to know more details about the coaching I'm in, feel free to send me a direct message. Best of luck.
Topic Author
techthedj

Post by techthedj »

Ralph Furley wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 pm I have had a professional coach for going on 9 years. It's been life changing. During this time, I've had four different coaches (with the same coaching company). I have found it necessary to periodically change coaches to keep moving forward. Three of the coaches were specific to my business/role. They helped me through some very tough professional challenges.
Insightful, thank you for sharing!
curiouscat90

Post by curiouscat90 »

I didn't read all the replies, but wanted to give another vote in favor of finding a good life coach if you think you have the bandwidth/opportunity to be more successful, but feel like you have resistance holding you back. This resistance could be challenges associated with living a more creative and balanced life, tolerating "negative environmental factors" that feel outside of your control, various types of interpersonal skill gaps, psychological challenges, or gaps in more tangible skills.

I've been doing life coaching twice a month for 6 months and it's helped me move past some major struggles I've had, really change my perspective on myself, and ultimately get better at saying no to the negativity/distraction and more efficiently working on pursuing my core goals.

Happy to chat further if you want to DM me or want a coach suggestion. I can't speak highly enough of the lady I've been working with.
Topic Author
techthedj

Post by techthedj »

curiouscat90 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:27 pm Happy to chat further if you want to DM me or want a coach suggestion. I can't speak highly enough of the lady I've been working with.
Thank you for the reply! Will DM.
searhapsody

Post by searhapsody »

curiouscat90 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:27 pm I didn't read all the replies, but wanted to give another vote in favor of finding a good life coach if you think you have the bandwidth/opportunity to be more successful, but feel like you have resistance holding you back. This resistance could be challenges associated with living a more creative and balanced life, tolerating "negative environmental factors" that feel outside of your control, various types of interpersonal skill gaps, psychological challenges, or gaps in more tangible skills.

I've been doing life coaching twice a month for 6 months and it's helped me move past some major struggles I've had, really change my perspective on myself, and ultimately get better at saying no to the negativity/distraction and more efficiently working on pursuing my core goals.

Happy to chat further if you want to DM me or want a coach suggestion. I can't speak highly enough of the lady I've been working with.

Very curious who you used for a coach. I've been thinking about using one.
SeekingWisdom_1

Post by SeekingWisdom_1 »

I can speak a bit to BetterUp, not as a client but, as someone whose profession overlaps with organizational coaching. I agree with your assessment - they're a good shop to work with for a more holistic/overall mental wellness approach. They hire people in my field to build out their research, which is the foundation for the coaching work they do. Overall, I've been very impressed with their research, particularly around resilience. They have a very good reputation in our field. They're growing a lot with another recent round of funding and, eventually, plan to go public. And, yes, they snagged Prince Harry as their Chief Impact Officer last week.

I agree with others that fit with your coach is everything. I don't know if you can choose coaches based on their profiles or if you can interview 3-4 coaches, more like one would typically have the opportunity to do with executive coaches. I may be mistaken, but I believe many of their coaches may be contractors; thus, there could be a lot of variability in their coaching techniques. I'd bet all their coaches are certified, however (probably by the International Coaching Federation, or a similar body). I don't know about pricing. That's a very good question.

I think it's a great idea to pursue coaching. I hope you find someone who serves you well.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

Annabel Lee wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:38 am
TechieTechie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm I had an exec coach for 6 months, via work. They did wonders helping me get unstuck work wise (I had been putting off making a job change that is very unusual for someone in my line of work (Tech consulting exec)...tho I knew deep down it was something I needed/wanted to do)....With this work change, it triggered a whole bunch of positive changes (that I had also been putting off) forever. So I don't have external recommendations...but, I will tell you, the fit is crucial.

While I’m glad this worked for you, caveat emptor in a major, major way with being “totally honest” with an executive coach who is paid for by your employer.
I had a VERY detailed conversation with my potential coach about this very topic before I even started. And, I insisted we use my personal zoom, calendar and laptop for the sessions. I was definitely privacy paranoid at the beginning. :) Perhaps they are the rarity, but my conversations have been kept confidential with no blowback.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

The New Yorker had a very good article arguing that we are UNDERcoached.

The very best, most talented athletes in the world receive more and better coaching as they progress in their careers. One would had taught that experts required less coaching.

Article also used example about outcomes for very best surgeons. Coaching greatly improved their performance.

In my mind coaching is very much worth it, but the challenge is to find good coaches. That's the tricky part as there aren't many Mr. Miyagi.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:00 am If you do it, make sure you get Prince Harry as your therapist.
Yes! What better way to break down inequality barriers than to take a job for which you have no qualifications whatsoever except celebrity? 😂
DanWinter

Post by DanWinter »

I totally agree that the fit with the coach is key, but not necessarily comfort with the coach. Don't pick a coach because they make you feel comfortable or sympathize. Find a coach who can respectfully challenge and press you to grow towards your commitments.

A good coach starts with what you are hoping to achieve (casting a fairly wide and often integrated net). So if you want to be better at influencing sr. leaders, the "learning edge" may be approaches to be a better listener, and speak with focused purpose to intersect the cares/world view of the other person so you generate the listening you intend. This same challenge may also show up in personal relationships.

A good coach will ground the coaching experience on clear goals that can include specific work results or feedback from key partners you work with. They will then develop practices which will build/enable capability. We are educated to focus on factual knowledge. Most coaches will help you leverage your body and emotions to support capability building. For instance, I've had times where I am "trying to prove myself" to a partner, and so I focus on explaining why I am capable vs recognizing the stress/uncertainty I am feeling and then choosing a better approach to understanding the needs of my colleagues to then effectively match my offer to them vs "showing them how shiny my tools are".

Great coaches will help you find new perspectives on what's causing the current breakdown that open new perspectives on how to choose better, more effective solutions. Sometimes through probing questions. Sometimes by sharing models and examples.

I just retired after 30 years on the inside of companies and would be glad to meet with you to discuss choosing and getting the most from a coach. I spent a LOT of time coaching leaders in global Finance, Legal, IT, Security, engineering, product development, venture funding and acquisitions as part of my corporate job. I also helped a lot of colleagues choose a great coach for them. Full disclosure, I'm now running my own coaching business, and am glad to talk if you'd find it helpful - seriously, not looking to make a sales pitch, just helping you to navigate the journey are are on in choosing the right path to a good coach for you.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (coaching).

DanWinter, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
curiouscat90

Post by curiouscat90 »

searhapsody wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:48 pm
curiouscat90 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:27 pm I didn't read all the replies, but wanted to give another vote in favor of finding a good life coach if you think you have the bandwidth/opportunity to be more successful, but feel like you have resistance holding you back. This resistance could be challenges associated with living a more creative and balanced life, tolerating "negative environmental factors" that feel outside of your control, various types of interpersonal skill gaps, psychological challenges, or gaps in more tangible skills.

Very curious who you used for a coach. I've been thinking about using one.
A couple people have PM'd me so I thought I'd just share here.

https://morganbeard.coach/