Seniorly.com

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Seniorly.com

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

My Mom has indicated she is ready to transition to a "continuing care community" (CCRC). That's good news, she lives alone in her home and is 94 years old. She has identified a facility near my sister's home, so I decided to look into it. I thought I was using the CCRC's website to complete survey questions to get pricing. After submitting the requested information, I received an email, with slightly edited content, below:

"I was in my office, and received a note from Seniorly.com.
My name is XXX, and I am something of a Sherpa, when it comes to figuring out Senior Living options.
I am local resource, available to you at any time, and at no charge.
Wasn't sure if I should call this early.
Would be happy to answer questions you may have about CCRC Living. I was Sales Director at one for several years.
I will give you a ring, after 9:00. If you would like to reach me by phone, my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Warm regards, "

Two questions:
1. Is Seniorly.com legit?
2. How do you get pricing from CCRCs?
David Jay

Re: Seniorly.com

Post by David Jay »

Seniorly seems to be a “clearing house”, as it were, for senior living facilities. My guess is that the CCRC in question does not have the resources to maintain an online presence and is using seniorly for web contact.

I would get the number for the facility and call them directly. Google Maps (enter the address) is often how I get phone numbers for businesses.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
ResearchMed

Re: Seniorly.com

Post by ResearchMed »

There are LOTS of different types of "elder care" communities/facilities.

And a lot has already been written up here, including "how we found one", etc. (I posted one of those a few years ago.)

But double and triple check just what is included, and what happens if someone runs out of money.
A true CCRC has a different financial/service structure than other similar facilities. Are you looking only at CCRCs, or was that a term used more generally for assisted living, etc.?

We spent a lot of time reading in general, reading about each potential facility, and visited several in person.

I never heard of seniorly.com
I got myself on the list of APlaceForMom (.com?) and yes, I was deluged by email/phone... but I did find out about some places I hadn't yet discovered just online.

It's an important search, obviously.

In this day and age, I'd wonder about a facility that had no online presence. Did you perhaps end up on the site of an advertiser when you were ferreting around online?
And to get phone numbers, I sometimes enter "<business name> phone number".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.