People with Covid-19 vaccination record cards: where are you keeping them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
inbox788

Re: People with Covid-19 vaccination record cards: where are you keeping them?

Post by inbox788 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:44 pmMy vaccination was done by a hospital and my card has a barcode, medical record number, Contact Serial Number, name, DOB, date of each dose and vaccine type/lot. I assume the hospital could easily verify the vaccination with this info. They verified my ID when registering before the jab at the facility. Someone could have taken my spot though if I gave them the card I suppose after the ID verification as it was a separate area than the jab area. If they don't ask for ID or aren't sure who is getting the jab the data in their system isn't really much better than a hand written card.

My (large) city and state seem to have updated vaccination counts daily but I don't know if they are just getting generic data or data with names, dob, etc. attached to it. I would think the former due to HIPAA, but who knows what I signed when signing up for the vaccine.
LOL. FOIA is easier to navigate than HIPAA.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

protagonist wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:57 am
According to today's Wash.Post, the Biden administration is working on a COVID vaccine passport rollout:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... da95abeb31
Apparently not really.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-vacc ... te-sector/
But the Biden administration is making one thing clear — the federal government won't be the one issuing a vaccine credential, or storing citizens' vaccination information in a database.

"This is going to hit all parts of society, and so naturally, the government is involved," Andy Slavitt, acting director for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said during a White House COVID-19 briefing Monday. "But unlike other parts of the world, the government here is not viewing its role as the place to create a passport, nor a place to hold the data of — of citizens. We view this as something that the private sector is doing and will do. What's important to us, and we're leading an interagency process right now to go through these details, are that some important criteria be met with these credentials."

Psaki said the Biden administration is mostly focused on creating guidelines that can be used as a basis for private sector endeavors.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Upon receipt of each dose:

1. Dose administrator has recorded my info in their computers
2. I then entered the date, mft and lot number of each dose in my own health care provider's form in their iPhone App (it was under 'questionaires tab`)
3. Took photograph of card on iPhone for backup
4. Will next laminate the card and tuck it into a wallet or my passport

I think that is sufficient redundancy for evidence of the vaccination.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Not sure why they don't just include this as a feature in the mobile passport app in some form or another.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 pm
protagonist wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:57 am
According to today's Wash.Post, the Biden administration is working on a COVID vaccine passport rollout:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... da95abeb31
Apparently not really.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-vacc ... te-sector/
But the Biden administration is making one thing clear — the federal government won't be the one issuing a vaccine credential, or storing citizens' vaccination information in a database.

"This is going to hit all parts of society, and so naturally, the government is involved," Andy Slavitt, acting director for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said during a White House COVID-19 briefing Monday. "But unlike other parts of the world, the government here is not viewing its role as the place to create a passport, nor a place to hold the data of — of citizens. We view this as something that the private sector is doing and will do. What's important to us, and we're leading an interagency process right now to go through these details, are that some important criteria be met with these credentials."

Psaki said the Biden administration is mostly focused on creating guidelines that can be used as a basis for private sector endeavors.
Nate79 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm Not sure why they don't just include this as a feature in the mobile passport app in some form or another.
WaPo article included a slide deck on some Federal government meeting on the topic of COVID-19 Vaccine Credentials Discussion in early March. There are three challenges to overcome.
1. How to source the data (eg face value vaccine cards are not acceptable as a "passport"). Vaccination data sits in state/local government vaccine registry/insurers database.
2. How users can demonstrate authenticated results (credentials) (eg Excelsior pass, IATA Travel Pass etc)
3. Getting foreign governments/businesses/event organizers to agree to a standard. Currently there are about 20 different credentials solutions floating around.

I'm guessing this turns into a chicken/egg problem even without HIPAA concerns (eg state/insurer want to invest/integrate with credentials solutions with the most acceptance by foreign governments/businesses but foreign governments/businesses want to accept/invest/integrate with credentials solutions offering the most vaccination data).

Highly doubt this can be worked out by Summer or even end of the year.
Last edited by seawolf21 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Munir

Post by Munir »

It is laminated and in my wallet next to my medicare card.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

There are studies in progress on a additional (3rd) dose of Moderna/Pfizer and 2nd doe for J&J so you may potentially have to undo the lamination.
Last edited by seawolf21 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Clipped to the appointment reminder for my next doctor visit.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:36 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:33 pm About "passports"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -for-work/

I don't think any reasonable person expects the paper cards to have any use to prove vaccination. I expect some combination of a phone app and database will happen. It is not surprising this is still being worked out, with getting shots into arms being the first and highest priority.

I anticipate that for the near future you can either have absolute privacy or the right to travel, not both.

By the way, at least one university will require vaccination for on-campus classes.
You care if someone knows you were vaccinated? People have needed to prove vaccinations of one sort or another when traveling to certain countries for decades.
I still have my yellow fever vaccine certificate tucked into my passport. It’s basically the same thing as the CDC card for COVID-18.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

EagertoLearnMore wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:01 am I was told to NOT laminate the card as boosters may be added in the future.
Welp, that answers my question. Thanks!
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Gripster

Post by Gripster »

Office Depot copied the original, then laminated that copy for free. In case the original needs to be amended in the future.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Here's a news update.

You've been vaccinated. So what should you do with your vaccine card?
APRIL 9, 2021 / 2:43 PM / MONEYWATCH
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-v ... 021-04-09/

Things are so confusing and changing so fast that by the time you figure out what happened, you have something new to deal with. I'm happy to be on the trailing edge on this matter and avoid having to deal with it as much as possible.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am When traveling pre-1980 I was always asked to show "passport and vaccination certificate" so to me it "feels like" a passport, and I think for the time being I'll keep it in the passport case along with my passport.

I know there are no definitive answers on this, but what are others doing?
Umm... in a drawer of my desk. I don't foresee carrying it as a vaccine passport. The card is too easy to fake and should hold no water as far as a "passport to travel".
Time is the ultimate currency.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

H-Town wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:48 pm The card is too easy to fake and should hold no water as far as a "passport to travel".
I’d really be surprised if other countries accepted it.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
relativeratio

Post by relativeratio »

I signed up for first shot through vams.cdc.gov. Got the shot and can access the date and location on the CDC website now. 2nd shot I got at CVS, they marked my card but don't update CDC website. I can not manually update it ether nor does the CDC. I thought they would. If I had scheduled and gotten my shot though vams.cdc.gov both times, I would have a permanent certificate that I could pull up at any time to prove vaccination even if I didn't have the card. It annoys me that I didn't get my 2nd shot through the CDC portal. I actually canceled my 2nd shot with them because I could get my second shot 2 days earlier at CVS.

What authority is recognized as more legitimate than the CDC?

With that said, I keep my card in the important papers place. I wouldn't get it laminated because you will likely need a booster shot.

Addition info: Your vaccination is reported to the state's health department. I got both shots in a bordering state. Totally legal, totally eligible at the time. Its good that I got them both in the same state because it would have been a hassle to order my verification from two different states to prove I was fully vaccinated if I were to lose my card and have to prove I was vaccinated.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't see how an easily forged piece of paper stating you've been vaccinated with a vaccine that didn't go through the normal approval process with varying degrees of effectiveness and an unknown period of effectiveness is that useful. I suspect it may used for marketing/peace of mind only ("everyone on our cruise has been vaccinated!"). I'm not against the vaccine at all. I've had my two shots. But there are too many factors to make this card useful.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

relativeratio wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:04 am I signed up for first shot through vams.cdc.gov. Got the shot and can access the date and location on the CDC website now. 2nd shot I got at CVS, they marked my card but don't update CDC website. I can not manually update it ether nor does the CDC. I thought they would. If I had scheduled and gotten my shot though vams.cdc.gov both times, I would have a permanent certificate that I could pull up at any time to prove vaccination even if I didn't have the card. It annoys me that I didn't get my 2nd shot through the CDC portal. I actually canceled my 2nd shot with them because I could get my second shot 2 days earlier at CVS.

What authority is recognized as more legitimate than the CDC?

With that said, I keep my card in the important papers place. I wouldn't get it laminated because you will likely need a booster shot.

Addition info: Your vaccination is reported to the state's health department. I got both shots in a bordering state. Totally legal, totally eligible at the time. Its good that I got them both in the same state because it would have been a hassle to order my verification from two different states to prove I was fully vaccinated if I were to lose my card and have to prove I was vaccinated.
As of right now, few places would really care if you have a vaccination card. You can hop on a domestic flight and fly from LA to NY without anyone asking for vaccination card. If the airlines don't care now, what make you think they would care when more people are vaccinated in the next few months?

I see younger people flashing vaccination card on social media accounts as a "thing" for them to do. I guess it would be useful that way for those kids.

A few years from now, the world will move on to the next thing. We'll deal with the next disaster. No one would care about Covid. Your vaccination card will become a useless piece of paper that we keep just because...

I'm fully vaccinated and I don't care about carrying a piece of paper as a proof of vaccination.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Whipsnap

Post by Whipsnap »

I've been keeping mine in a basket where I keep mail and bills, but I think I'm going to follow suit with what others recommended and keep a photo of it on my phone just so that I always have it. As things open back up, I think we'll need it to go to things like concerts, sporting events, and anything else involving a large gathering of people.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

Original copy is with my important papers.
I have a photo of it (both sides), on my phone/cloud.
I also have a [laser-printed] copy in my wallet. I did not laminate it, to save the lamination cost & effort & wallet thickness. If my printout wears out in my wallet, I can print another.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I'll scan it after my 2nd dose, then keep the original alongside my unused credit card and what not.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

I am keeping a copy on my phone/google photos and the physical card pinned to passport.

Unlike older vaccines, my guess is covid shots will expire. One will need booster/some other new vaccine before end of year. So I view this card as temporary. Usage areas would be for visiting nursing homes, jobs in healthcare/similar in-person and probably international travel.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
relativeratio

Post by relativeratio »

I think when it comes to international travel some kind of proof other than the current vaccination card will be important. I don't know what or how that will be set up.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Whipsnap wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm I've been keeping mine in a basket where I keep mail and bills, but I think I'm going to follow suit with what others recommended and keep a photo of it on my phone just so that I always have it. As things open back up, I think we'll need it to go to things like concerts, sporting events, and anything else involving a large gathering of people.
Yeah, no. That pretty much sounds like a recipe for health care discrimination. That would be a poor reason to keep this card. The sole purpose of the card was for people to remember which vaccine they took when it came to getting the second dose, remember?

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm
Whipsnap wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm I've been keeping mine in a basket where I keep mail and bills, but I think I'm going to follow suit with what others recommended and keep a photo of it on my phone just so that I always have it. As things open back up, I think we'll need it to go to things like concerts, sporting events, and anything else involving a large gathering of people.
Yeah, no. That pretty much sounds like a recipe for health care discrimination. That would be a poor reason to keep this card. The sole purpose of the card was for people to remember which vaccine they took when it came to getting the second dose, remember?

-TheDDC
"Health care discrimination" ?
:confused

Is that like the health care "discrimination" when there are requirements to get vaccinated for measles or polio, etc., or not all that long ago, for smallpox?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 pm
TheDDC wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm

-TheDDC
"Health care discrimination" ?
:confused

Is that like the health care "discrimination" when there are requirements to get vaccinated for measles or polio, etc., or not all that long ago, for smallpox?

RM
Ahhh...but times have changed. There is no denying
It. We are living in a dystopian world.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm The sole purpose of the card was for people to remember which vaccine they took when it came to getting the second dose, remember?

-TheDDC
No, don't remember that at all. I think there has always been discussion that it could serve as proof of vaccination. That certainly is what I was told when they handed to me.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm The sole purpose of the card was for people to remember which vaccine they took when it came to getting the second dose, remember?

-TheDDC
From what I read, it was a poor “plan B” option chosen when the electronic record proved too difficult to implement in time for the vaccine rollout.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ion-cards/

(as a software engineer I find it very sad that humanity could come up with multiple highly effective and safe vaccines faster than a secure software solution that would let me prove that I had one of those vaccines)
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I took a picture, saved it to Onedrive, then put the card in a drawer.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 pm

-TheDDC
From what I read, it was a poor “plan B” option chosen when the electronic record proved too difficult to implement in time for the vaccine rollout.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ion-cards/

(as a software engineer I find it very sad that humanity could come up with multiple highly effective and safe vaccines faster than a secure software solution that would let me prove that I had one of those vaccines)
Seriously? There should certainly not be a publicly accessible database of who has what medical treatment. As a “software engineer” (???) you should understand what happens with this information the way it is being presented. We would clearly have a “public accommodations” problem if such information were to be used to deny or refuse. We do not have “separate but equal” facilities in this country for good reason. You have no way of knowing what vaccine or treatment the person beside you has which is the way it should be.

And the vaccines are “emergency use” authorized. They are certainly far from being “safe and effective”

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic has drifted far afield of the original question (where to store vaccination records) and has been locked. See Locked Topics:
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)