Toyota Sienna - Which Years Were Best?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Toyota Sienna - Which Years Were Best?

Post by ruanddu »

Hello,

Looking to purchase a used Toyota Sienna. Hoping you can share which years are the best in terms of reliability? Any info you can share is appreciated!

Thank you.
David Jay

Re: Toyota Sienna - Which Years Were Best?

Post by David Jay »

It’s a Toyota. Pretty much no years have significant reliability issues.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

The final production year of an outgoing generation will tend to be more reliable, they've had the longest possible runway to figure out the kinks.

So… 2010 and 2020 would be the most reliable years for their respective generation (2nd and 3rd). With that said, I would say 2015-2020 would be where I would focus my search. 3rd gen had a long production history.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

The main decision is whether you want the new 2020 Sienna or the previous generation. The old one is fine... just kind of old. It was released in 2010, plus Toyota of the time was not very forward in terms of technology and design relative to competition. However, the 2020 Sienna is a thoroughly modern vehicle with class leading features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sienna

Here are the major updates over the years from Wikipedia. It seems like you would want to get a 2017 or later if you can, due to the better powertrain. I would not worry about reliability.

Model year changes
2012: Toyota's new navigation system with Entune connected navigation system became available.
2013: The four-cylinder engine was dropped and replaced with the 2GR-FE V6.
2015: Minor refresh with new tail light and interior design was featured, although the Sienna SE retained the original "sport" tail lights while the rest of the trims received new tail lights (L, LE, XLE, and Limited). In the interior, the dash was redesigned replacing the assymetric swoop with a more conventional and cohesive center display. The previous small info window on top of the dash was also removed and placed in the center display. The center console was also redesigned. Several technological upgrades could be optioned. Toyota added three new colors (Sky Blue Pearl, Creme Brulee Metallic, and Attitude Black Metallic). For the Limited and SE models, the Sienna features refreshed headlights with LED daytime running lights.
2017: The six-speed automatic transmission was replaced with an eight-speed and a revised 2GR-FKS engine adding Toyota's D4-S direct injection fuel system.[32] The new engine increased power to 296 hp (221 kW), with torque increased to 263 lb⋅ft (357 N⋅m).[33]
2018: A mild facelift with a new front grille, new headlights, new side skirts, standard Safety Sense, minor noise and vibration enhancements, and additional technology like extra USB ports, an updated rear entertainment system (for models equipped with this option), and a semi-digital instrument cluster.[34] The new grille is available in 3 styles: On the XLE and Limited, a chrome pair of wings bisects the grille. On the LE, the wing is black. The SE grille has no wing. The 2018 model year has standard automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning with lane-keeping assist, and automated high-beams.[35][36]
2019: All-wheel drive became available on the SE trim and the Limited trim with FWD is no longer offered. CarPlay support is introduced alongside the Entune 3.0 media system.
Last edited by hi_there on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

OP - According to the April 2021 issue of Consumer Reports, the 2014 Toyota Sienna followed by the 2013 version have the best records.
Tom D.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

stimulacra wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 am The final production year of an outgoing generation will tend to be more reliable, they've had the longest possible runway to figure out the kinks.

So… 2010 and 2020 would be the most reliable years for their respective generation (2nd and 3rd). With that said, I would say 2015-2020 would be where I would focus my search. 3rd gen had a long production history.
Not knowing anything about this vehicle, I would say that in the case of other vehicles, the final model year often brings extremely limited option selections. The vehicle may be living on primarily for fleet obligations or other reasons, so the last year, while theoretically it should be the best for reliability, may not be the best for purchasing.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

One factor to consider if it matters to you is the ability to remove middle row of seats. We've owned 2007, 2013 and now 2018. All had removable middle seats. I've heard that the newer ones don't. We keep the middle seats out because, with just my wife and me, we don't need them, and it makes for much more room for the dog, bikes, skis, beach equipment, etc. It's been great for skiing this year as we're able to boot up inside the van since all the lodges are closed.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
Rlew

Post by Rlew »

I find carcomplaints.com to be a useful resource in evaluating reliability of used cars by year. Check it out for the Sienna
"When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one" Jack Bogle
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Slapshot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:23 pm One factor to consider if it matters to you is the ability to remove middle row of seats. We've owned 2007, 2013 and now 2018. All had removable middle seats. I've heard that the newer ones don't. We keep the middle seats out because, with just my wife and me, we don't need them, and it makes for much more room for the dog, bikes, skis, beach equipment, etc. It's been great for skiing this year as we're able to boot up inside the van since all the lodges are closed.
Thanks! Can you please tell me which years have the back bench seat that fold backwards into cavity so seat is flush with floor? Our old Odyssey van has that and is super convenient.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Very helpful!
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

ruanddu wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:09 pm
Slapshot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:23 pm One factor to consider if it matters to you is the ability to remove middle row of seats. We've owned 2007, 2013 and now 2018. All had removable middle seats. I've heard that the newer ones don't. We keep the middle seats out because, with just my wife and me, we don't need them, and it makes for much more room for the dog, bikes, skis, beach equipment, etc. It's been great for skiing this year as we're able to boot up inside the van since all the lodges are closed.
Thanks! Can you please tell me which years have the back bench seat that fold backwards into cavity so seat is flush with floor? Our old Odyssey van has that and is super convenient.
As far as I know, they all do. Every one that we've owned did. I've had 4x8 pieces of plywood in there.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
jt90505

Post by jt90505 »

Our 2002 is still going strong with minimal maintenance :happy
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Slapshot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:16 pm
ruanddu wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:09 pm
As far as I know, they all do. Every one that we've owned did. I've had 4x8 pieces of plywood in there.
Okay, thanks much!
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

jt90505 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:38 pm Our 2002 is still going strong with minimal maintenance :happy
Good to know, thanks!
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

We have a 2011 Sienna, purchased in 2010. I think it was one with the newer design.

It has 144k miles on it now. We were thinking about downsizing, however, I really like it for the interior roominess and dependability, and we decided to keep it. The water pump did go out about 60k miles, and we're having some issues with the sliding door on the driver's side. Yes, the seat folds down into the cavity. It's great for hauling.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

2007 Sienna purchased new. Still runs great, only normal maintenance issues.
sir_throckmorton

Post by sir_throckmorton »

We have a 2017 Sienna. No issues at all so far.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks again for the replies!