Help me with downhill backyard soil erosion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sksbog

Help me with downhill backyard soil erosion

Post by sksbog »

Hello Bogleheads,

I noticed that in the downhill backyard, i have soil erosion due to rain water, flowing.
I am assuming, this will get bigger eventually and may result in more troubles.

Whom should i reach out to to fix this. Don't want this to end up in a mudslide :oops:
Normal landscaping companies just do yard work. If I hire someone, how do i make sure the are putting the right architecture in place?

Teague

Re: Help me with downhill backyard soil erosion

Post by Teague »

I think I'd look for a soil engineer, or a landscape architect could be consulted. Note that a landscape architect is completely different than a landscaper or gardener. Landscapers plant flowers and put in sprinklers, landscape architects do calculations and have lots of education and dictate how and what dirt goes where.
Semper Augustus
Topic Author
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

Teague wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:51 pm I think I'd look for a soil engineer, or a landscape architect could be consulted. Note that a landscape architect is completely different than a landscaper or gardener. Landscapers plant flowers and put in sprinklers, landscape architects do calculations and have lots of education and dictate how and what dirt goes where.
how do i find them? do the have qualification achievement, like "board certified" ?
Teague

Post by Teague »

These folks shouldn't be hard to find, they are used in all sorts of projects. As far as I know they are all required to be licensed by the state so should have a minimum competency assured. This is the kind of thing they do. Ever see a majestic house sitting on top of a hill thinking "gee, that looks like like it's going to slide right off in a good rain" but yet it stays put? These are the sorts of professions to thank for that.

Google those terms or "geotechincal engineer."
Semper Augustus
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Do you have neighbors that have had the same problem fixed? That's where I always start.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sport

Post by sport »

I do not know if it will apply for your situation, but grass is a good erosion retardant. So, perhaps some grass seed would help.
Topic Author
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:14 pm Do you have neighbors that have had the same problem fixed? That's where I always start.
Good idea. I will post in my neighborhood FB group and ask the same. Hopefully, someone had a similar issue resolved.

Thank you!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sksbog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:39 pm
livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:14 pm Do you have neighbors that have had the same problem fixed? That's where I always start.
Good idea. I will post in my neighborhood FB group and ask the same. Hopefully, someone had a similar issue resolved.

Thank you!
This is an extreme example, but perhaps a tiered approach ...
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Teague

Post by Teague »

sksbog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Thank you!
The downslope neighbor may see that post and feel especially motivated to provide some input.
Semper Augustus
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I can't tell much of what is going on from the picture, but I would absolutely start with the ordinary, cheap solution first.

A couple wheelbarrow loads of replacement soil, and $10 worth of grass seed. A few strips of mulch every few feet should help slow the erosion while the grass gets established.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have had a couple of drainage situations similar and I put in a drain connected to porous pipe buried in the ground. This should work for you as well.

Have you observed water runoff in this area during or immediately after hard rains. Seeing how the water flows should tell you where to locate the drain.

A landscape architect can recommend fixes but they are an expensive resource probably not needed for this problem.

My son is a remodeler and has solved these types of problems for customers many times. Home builders and remodelers should have a keen high for how water flows because good drainage is essential for homes.

Link is a picture of one of my drains. I could not figure out how to insert it in this post.

https://i.postimg.cc/C5wbS3zX/Yard-drain.jpg