New Fridge

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thegame14

New Fridge

Post by Thegame14 »

I am going to need a new fridge, current one is 30 years old and starting to make a buzzing noise, problem is the space for the fridge is tiny. 32.5 inches wide, 29 inches depth and 66 inches tall, and we absolutely do not like or want or want to spend money on stainless steel. tried to put these dimentions in on best buy website and nothing available. Any recommendations on where to look for a fridge this size, but note it is our main fridge. I would prefer side by side or freezer on the bottom, if possible, freezer on the top seems weird...Hoping to keep it well under $1,000 but I doubt it since everything is so expensive these days.

Thanks
Last edited by Thegame14 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yiewsley

Re: New Fridge

Post by Yiewsley »

I was not able to find a side by side or bottom freezer one that would fit in that space, unless you went smaller and got an apartment sized one.

This one would fit, although it will stick out a little bit. Not sure you will find any that wouldn't.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/maytag-18- ... Id=5582427
ManhattanTrnsfr

Post by ManhattanTrnsfr »

AJ Madison has a great website that allows you to search by dimensions, and they carry some “non-standard” and European brands that increases the diversity of models that will be returned from your search. Here is a search I did using your dimensions on their website. Filtering out top freezers really restricts you choices...

https://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/30+Inch ... 964459+800
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:17 pm I am going to need a new fridge, current one is 30 years old and starting to make a buzzing noise, problem is the space for the fridge is tiny. 30 inches wide, 29 inches depth and 66 inches tall, and we absolutely do not like or want or want to spend money on stainless steel. tried to put these dimentions in on best buy website and nothing available. Any recommendations on where to look for a fridge this size, but note it is our main fridge. I would prefer side by side or freezer on the bottom, if possible, freezer on the top seems weird...Hoping to keep it well under $1,000 but I doubt it since everything is so expensive these days.

Thanks
This one might work
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire- ... /311743494

don't know why the top freezer is weird?

Sale price is $675
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

GG1273 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:17 pm I am going to need a new fridge, current one is 30 years old and starting to make a buzzing noise, problem is the space for the fridge is tiny. 30 inches wide, 29 inches depth and 66 inches tall, and we absolutely do not like or want or want to spend money on stainless steel. tried to put these dimentions in on best buy website and nothing available. Any recommendations on where to look for a fridge this size, but note it is our main fridge. I would prefer side by side or freezer on the bottom, if possible, freezer on the top seems weird...Hoping to keep it well under $1,000 but I doubt it since everything is so expensive these days.

Thanks
This one might work

Sale price is $675
This looks like a SMALL apartment fridge, this is for a house of four people who already have a second fridge and deep freezer, so it needs to be a regular sized main fridge.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

You need to have the EXACT dimensions (to nearest 1/8 inch) of your niche.

If you can go taller, then there are more solutions from European manufacturers, but not at your price point.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:19 pm You need to have the EXACT dimensions (to nearest 1/8 inch) of your niche.

If you can go taller, then there are more solutions from European manufacturers, but not at your price point.
We cannot go taller unless we take cabinets out, and I dont see a need to go over $1,000 especially since the size is so small and we absolutely hate stainless steel.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Thanks
This one might work

Sale price is $675
it is weird since I have always had side be side or french doors, and freezer on bottom, freezer on top I have only seen for a small apartment or garage fridge, this is the main fridge that needs to hold a lot of food.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Yiewsley wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:33 pm I was not able to find a side by side or bottom freezer one that would fit in that space, unless you went smaller and got an apartment sized one.

This one would fit, although it will stick out a little bit. Not sure you will find any that wouldn't.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/maytag-18- ... Id=5582427
This looks too small, it has to be similar size absolutely not smaller than what we have, we already have it stuffed to the max, we cannot go smaller, all these suggestions are small apartment or garage fridges, not normal family size ones.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:24 pm

Thanks
This one might work

Sale price is $675
it is weird since I have always had side be side or french doors, and freezer on bottom, freezer on top I have only seen for a small apartment or garage fridge, this is the main fridge that needs to hold a lot of food.
NP, I've been on earth for 62 years and always had top freezers... 8-)
YMV
canderson

Post by canderson »

In those dimensions you’re not getting anything other than a standard one door fridge with a one door freezer. Fridges under 32” wide are increasingly rare.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

canderson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:36 pm In those dimensions you’re not getting anything other than a standard one door fridge with a one door freezer. Fridges under 32” wide are increasingly rare.
Then why is the one we have is side be side and those are its dimensions.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:19 pm You need to have the EXACT dimensions (to nearest 1/8 inch) of your niche.
And you have to make note of mfr-required side, top, and rear clearances. Fridges need space for airflow around them for removal of heat.
just02

Post by just02 »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:46 pm
canderson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:36 pm In those dimensions you’re not getting anything other than a standard one door fridge with a one door freezer. Fridges under 32” wide are increasingly rare.
It’s 30 years old. Standards do change from time to time.

Have you checked https://www.ajmadison.com/ for options? They’ve got a useful search tool.

Assuming the provided dimensions are those of the refrigerator and not the opening in the cabinet AND there is not extra space you have very few options. Maybe this one (over budget and may need more space for ventilation than you have): https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmad ... 21BRW.html

When was the last time the kitchen was remodeled? Maybe it’s time to consider other options?
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

just02 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:55 pm
It’s 30 years old. Standards do change from time to time.

Have you checked https://www.ajmadison.com/ for options? They’ve got a useful search tool.

Assuming the provided dimensions are those of the refrigerator and not the opening in the cabinet AND there is not extra space you have very few options. Maybe this one (over budget and may need more space for ventilation than you have): https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmad ... 21BRW.html

When was the last time the kitchen was remodeled? Maybe it’s time to consider other options?
Yeah that is waaaaaay to small, this is the main fridge for a family of four, we absolutey cannot lose cubic footage, if anything we need more as we already have a apartment fridge in the garage and deep freezer that are also full...

we could easily take out two small cabinets above it, but to go any wider would be losing a lot of cabinets, plus a small granite countertop area where the microwave is, and I am not getting into a major renovation for the kitchen, the floor already needs to be redone and a new fridge so not spending much more than that, have to replace the furnace and AC first, both of those are 30 years old as well, so cant get into a major reno, id rather then save and buy a bigger house at some point than get into a 10K plus renovation that doesnt add square footage...
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Maybe someone can help me find the exact dimensions, I want to make sure the Cubic footage of the inside of any new fridge is not any smaller.

It is Kenmore Coldspot Model 106. - 9432310
Serial SC2925593

Type 22SSA93
mfg date 07-93
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

so far this is the best fit I have found....

https://www.bjs.com/product/whirlpool-2 ... 0000973998
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

is it worth $120 for a four year protection plan? and is that BJ's 4 year warranty on top of the manufacturer's 2 year warranty.... if they overlap not sure it is worth it, if it is concurrent that makes more sense.
Last edited by Thegame14 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:30 pm so far this is the best fit I have found....

That fridge is 32.75” wide.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

canderson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:30 pm so far this is the best fit I have found....

That fridge is 32.75” wide.
yeah, wife was doing the measuring maybe she was wrong on the current fridge being 30, had her re-measure now and she says it is 32.25 wide, she said 32.75 wide will fit.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Take your measurements with you and go shopping. The stores can search by size and features and tell you what your choices are. Ours is about that size and we wanted white, and had exactly two options.

Stainless steel is the default finish now. Be prepared to pay more and have less selection if you want something else.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Because it's 30 years old. Standard change, unfortunately. I wish you luck in your search.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm Maybe someone can help me find the exact dimensions, I want to make sure the Cubic footage of the inside of any new fridge is not any smaller.
Over time energy efficiency standards have changed. One part of this is the amount of insulation has increased on such things. Water heaters have gotten fatter too, as the amount of surrounding insulation has increased. I would think (but do not know for sure) that insulation has increased on refrigerators as well.

Assuming that is the case, barring some sort of multidimensional wormhole or something, the interior volume must be less if the outer dimensions remain the same.

Or, in other words, you may not be able to get there from here.
Semper Augustus