Happy Pi Day! (And what pie?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Happy Pi Day! (And what pie?)

Post by ResearchMed »

Happy Pi Day!

🍷 🍷

... and what special pie are you cooking today?

Anything especially relevant to pi itself?

I'm starting with a pumpkin pie. Those tasty spices deserve to be enjoyed more often than at the traditional Thanksgiving time.

Thanks, and Cheers!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
samsoes

Re: Happy Pi Day! (And what pie?)

Post by samsoes »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:40 pm Happy Pi Day!

🍷 🍷

I'm starting with a pumpkin pie. Those tasty spices deserve to be enjoyed more often than at the traditional Thanksgiving time.

Thanks, and Cheers!

RM
Pi day occurred at 3/14/15 9:26:54. Won't happen again for a hundred years.
Last edited by samsoes on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I expect to get a discounted pizza later, at a place that was promoting a "Pi day special"

... but a slice of Blueberry Sour Cream Pie, with a cup of coffee would certainly hit the spot ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

samsoes wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm

🍷 🍷

Thanks, and Cheers!

RM
Pi day occurred at 3/14/15 9:26:54. Won't happen again for a hundred years.
:wink:

Perfect!

RM
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Might want to listen to Candy Apple Pie... if not the whole thing, start at 2:00 minutes in.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:22 pm Might want to listen to Candy Apple Pie... if not the whole thing, start at 2:00 minutes in.
:thumbsup
The ending to that was an unexpected fun surprise. Thanks for sharing!
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

🍷 🍷

Thanks, and Cheers!

RM
In my enthusiasm, I wished a European penpal a happy pi day and she didn't know what I was talking about. Seems they format their dates differently. So, I'm having humble pie. :happy
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:31 pm
nisiprius wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:22 pm Might want to listen to Candy Apple Pie... if not the whole thing, start at 2:00 minutes in.

Wonderful!
That is really special. Many thanks, nisi! :happy

RM
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

mindboggling wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 pm

🍷 🍷

Thanks, and Cheers!

RM
In my enthusiasm, I wished a European penpal a happy pi day and she didn't know what I was talking about. Seems they format their dates differently. So, I'm having humble pie. :happy
Recipe and photo, please?

:twisted:

ETA: Turns out I posted this when the 'counter' for number of views for this thread was at - what else -

RM
Last edited by ResearchMed on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Strange but true story...
I bought a roll of fencing yesterday which I plan to make round cages with to go around plants in the garden. This morning I used pi to determine how long a piece of fence I would need to create a 24” round cage. I’ve known of pi since my school days and can recite it to a number of decimal places but never used it in practice until today. Didn’t realize it was pi day until I read this post. What are the odds!
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

samsoes wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm Pi day occurred at 3/14/15 9:26:54. Won't happen again for a hundred years.
According to International Standard ISO 8601 today is 2021-03-14. So π day can't ever happen :twisted:
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:59 pm I expect to get a discounted pizza later, at a place that was promoting a "Pi day special"

... but a slice of Blueberry Sour Cream Pie, with a cup of coffee would certainly hit the spot ;)
A pizza has a radius z and thickness a. Its volume is pizza (or pi*z*z*a)

Some other groaners are here: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/20-pi-pu ... nerdiness/
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:02 pm
samsoes wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm Pi day occurred at 3/14/15 9:26:54. Won't happen again for a hundred years.
According to International Standard ISO 8601 today is 2021-03-14. So π day can't ever happen :twisted:
Sorry, I never bought into that whole Y2K compliance nonsense.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
egrets

Post by egrets »

Groundhog wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:56 pm Strange but true story...
I bought a roll of fencing yesterday which I plan to make round cages with to go around plants in the garden. This morning I used pi to determine how long a piece of fence I would need to create a 24” round cage. I’ve known of pi since my school days and can recite it to a number of decimal places but never used it in practice until today. Didn’t realize it was pi day until I read this post. What are the odds!
For a 24" round cage I think you would need a 24 inch length of fencing plus a bit to crimp together. Maybe you mean a 24" diameter cage?
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

egrets wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 pm
For a 24" round cage I think you would need a 24 inch length of fencing plus a bit to crimp together. Maybe you mean a 24" diameter cage?
Yes, 24” diameter. 24 x 3.1415926 = 75.4. So approx 75” length of fence will make a 24” diameter round cage, a bit less when put together.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:31 pm
+1 thanks!
ionball

Post by ionball »

I like to stare at a visual representation of the first 100,000 digits.
https://brilliant.org/discussions/threa ... au-visual/
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

mindboggling wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 pm

🍷 🍷

Thanks, and Cheers!

RM
Speaking of which https://www.amazon.com/Humble-Pi-When-W ... 0593084683
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In Mathematical Recreations, W. W. Rouse Ball wrote:
De Morgan was explaining to an actuary what was the chance that a certain proportion of some group of people would at the end of a given time be alive; and quoted the actuarial formula, involving π, which, in answer to a question, he explained stood for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. His acquaintance, who had so far listened to the explanation with interest, interrupted him and exclaimed, “My dear friend, that must be a delusion, what can a circle have to do with the number of people alive at a given time?”
I've seen this quoted more than once, but today, as I read it, I wonder: does anybody know exactly what formula that is? I can easily imagine actuarial formulas involve e, but I, too, have trouble seeing how π would be involved.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

anyone remember the little hot apple pies McDonalds used to sell? I recall them as a kid, that was a rare treat when we got one.

Ah, via Google I see they are back.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

F150HD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:21 pm anyone remember the little hot apple pies McDonalds used to sell? I recall them as a kid, that was a rare treat when we got one.

Pretty sure the McDonalds apple pie never went away. They did add some other flavors though, I think cherry pie is an option now.
I've been told that through the "app" they're giving away free pie on pi day ;)
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Made a blackberry pie (canned filling/store-bought crust).
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
yog

Post by yog »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm In Mathematical Recreations, W. W. Rouse Ball wrote:
De Morgan was explaining to an actuary what was the chance that a certain proportion of some group of people would at the end of a given time be alive; and quoted the actuarial formula, involving π, which, in answer to a question, he explained stood for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. His acquaintance, who had so far listened to the explanation with interest, interrupted him and exclaimed, “My dear friend, that must be a delusion, what can a circle have to do with the number of people alive at a given time?”
I've seen this quoted more than once, but today, as I read it, I wonder: does anybody know exactly what formula that is? I can easily imagine actuarial formulas involve e, but I, too, have trouble seeing how π would be involved.
The Circle of Life has gamma distributions derived from the gamma function, and the special values of the gamma function contain pi:
https://actuarialmodelingtopics.wordpre ... -function/

F150HD

Post by F150HD »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:55 pm
F150HD wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:21 pm anyone remember the little hot apple pies McDonalds used to sell? I recall them as a kid, that was a rare treat when we got one.

Pretty sure the McDonalds apple pie never went away. They did add some other flavors though, I think cherry pie is an option now.
Don't go there frequently enough to track their menu items but area I was in (years ago) they were not available. Maybe it was due to the pie recipe change a few years back.

https://thetakeout.com/review-mcdonalds ... 1829182481
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

Fresh strawberry :D
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

yog wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 pmThe Circle of Life has gamma distributions derived from the gamma function, and the special values of the gamma function contain pi:
https://actuarialmodelingtopics.wordpre ... -function/

Thank you!

And I just remembered that the height of the peak of the Gaussian distribution has π in it. So we can get π into financial statistics if we try.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Dang it, why did I pick the month that contains pi day to be more careful about what I eat?
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

I was desolated to read of the demolition of the Pyare Square Building in Madison, Wisconsin.

Pyare Square Building being slowly demolished after 47 years of prominence on West Side
From “iconic” to “blighted,” a variety of adjectives have been used over the years to describe the towering Pyare Square building in Shorewood Hills... Named for the mathematical formula to calculate the area of a circle (A=πr²), Pyare Square was completed in 1969 and served as home for the state Department of Natural Resources for its first 10 years.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Kings 7:23

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

Great! Cheers to those fellas
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Happy Pi Day!

Did not expect to see a Gamma Function pop up here :D

My favorite formula with pi has always been Euler's identity (not sure how we get LaTeX to work here :wink:)

Code: Select all

e^{ i \pi } + 1 = 0
Captures e, pi, i, 1, and 0 all in one formula.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Banana cream pie of course.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Grandson's second birthday, pizza pie from Papa John's, he loves the black olives.
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

We celebrated with chocolate pecan. The strawberry plants are coming up, so I think fresh strawberry pie is in our future.

With St. Patrick's day approaching we may segue into savory steak and Guinness pie or Irish pasties. Oh my, pi.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:55 pm

They never went away but they are a sorry shell of what they once were.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

For some background ... A Slice of Pi (π) Day History | Exploratorium
March 14 is Pi (π) Day, the annual celebration of a never-ending number—and Albert Einstein’s birthday. How did pi inspire a national holiday and an international celebration thousands of years after its discovery? It all started at the Exploratorium with former staff physicist, tinkerer, and media specialist Larry Shaw.

In 1988, three years after the death of Exploratorium Founder Frank Oppenheimer, staff gathered at a retreat in Monterey, California, to soul search and brainstorm. It was there that Shaw linked March 14 (3.14) with the digits of pi (3.14159…), seeing it as an extraordinary opportunity to bring Exploratorium staff together. And π Day was born.

On the first π Day, at 1:59—the π numbers that follow 3.14—Larry and his wife, Catherine, set up a table on the museum's floor topped with fruit pies and a tea urn for the celebration.
I love the fact they've chosen that specific time for the celebration.

BTW, In March 2009, π Day became an official U.S. national holiday.

Other oddities about π Day. Albert Einstein was born on π Day (1879) and Stephen Hawking passed away on π Day (2018).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Drivin my Chevy past the levee and will buy some American Pie.....

Apple of course! ;)
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Not going to make one but if I could get my hands on a Melton Mowbray pork pie I’d have a happy pi day.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore ..."
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

We're having pie today here at work (engineering office). Hopefully some Key Lime, Lemon Meringue, Apple, or Blueberry with a nice crumb topping.
whitecollarhillbilly

Post by whitecollarhillbilly »

I made it a point to buy a Pi Day tee shirt several years ago....but then again I'm a nerdy engineer.

Happy Pi Day to all!
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I think I'll just wear the t-shirt that DH gave me a couple of years ago, the one with pi to the first 100 digits.

And wouldn't you know, at a valet parking area, one of the valets (probably college student part time job?) looked at it, looked at me (gray-ish hair older female), and asked, very politely and friendly, "Do you know the digits of pi?"

I smiled, and started listing them... after about 10 or 12 digits, he laughed and said, "Thanks! You win!" with a big grin.

Fun.

And no, I don't know all of the first 100, but I've started working on it again.
Hey, it can come in handy in the most unexpected places! :D

RM
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

whitecollarhillbilly wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 am I made it a point to buy a Pi Day tee shirt several years ago....but then again I'm a nerdy engineer.
Another engineer here. My username often gets shortened to P_I. Both influenced my avatar choice so I can celebrate Pi day each and every day. 😁
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

The odds would be 3.14:1, of course!
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

In lieu of pie I'm going to have 3.141 glasses of whiskey
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Our local market is giving away free slices of chocolate haupia pie. I plan to get myself a slice today. Yum. Will also go to my fav pie-maker and buy some pies from her and a few quiches from Costco for a meeting tonight.

My friend wanted hot pizza and I have decided it will not work out with all the driving to pick up and drop off folks to also get hot pizza for meeting. Quiche at whatever temperature it is!
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 am
whitecollarhillbilly wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 am I made it a point to buy a Pi Day tee shirt several years ago....but then again I'm a nerdy engineer.
Another engineer here. My username often gets shortened to P_I. Both influenced my avatar choice so I can celebrate Pi day each and every day. 😁
Meanwhile the Perimeter Institute of Theoretic Physics, [note the initials and the logo], makes no mention of today's significance on their Events horizon. Embarrassing.

OTOH at my alma mater the Mathies do know how to celebrate Pi day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm7Y7dXXOQ
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Two things to celebrate PI day:

1. Thin crust 16" pizza from local C-store for $3.14. Actually it is very good.
2. Using my Hemmi 250 slide rule for certain calculations, but then again, it is used most days.

Ed
physics911

Post by physics911 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:02 pm
Or if you make an arbitary judgement that the day is 3/14.1592654, then it happens every year on 3/14 around 3:49 a.m.
55% Total US, 20% Total ex US, 25% Total US Bond: 52/52 DINK