What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Post by flyingaway »

As the U.S. population is getting vaccinated and most places are opening up, it is time to plan some travels for 2021 and beyond. Let's share some plans, suggestions, precautions, etc.

My wife and I are expected to be fully vaccinated in early April. So we planned a 2 day trip to the Great Smoky Mountain in late April and a 10 day trip to Las Vegas, including the Utah Grand Circle of National Parks. I feel so sorry that we lost 2020 for fun activities and are determined to make up for that.

We will follow and respect all guidance and will wear masks as required. But life has to go on. We plan to retire in 2022 together and could speed it up to 2021 if we don't want to go back to work anymore.

We may want to do some overseas travel in later summer if other countries are open to the vaccinated people and the U.S. removes virus test requirements then.

What are your travel plans?
poker27

Re: What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Post by poker27 »

We just booked a flight to Boston for late May (have never been). Also thinking of Ireland in late august (also have never been). I’m not comfortable booking flights and Airbnb’s yet due to the cost, I’m sure we will also do some short trips in between.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Domestic travel as usual for now. Waiting on international trips until 2022 to minimize the risk of unexpected cancellations or getting stuck overseas since vaccinations in other countries, with a few exceptions, are lagging the US. Had to cancel several international trips in 2020 and fought tooth and nail to get all my money back; don't wish to go through that nonsense again.

We did some traveling around the US in 2020 to national parks/forests and it was fine. Wore masks on the plane and places we went to were less crowded than usual.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

The mantra now is to book now. Bookings up 500%. Of course that may have been a step up from a low bar and has nothing to do with capacity.
I am looking for international travel. Pretty much anywhere that will have me, US citizen allowed. Vaccinated.
There is much talk about a vaccination passport.
Most travel articles seem to be about the Brits and their tourism to the beloved Greece, Spain, Cyprus. Not too much mention of overseas places to visit for Americans. We are a kind of pariah at the moment due to our huge rates of sick and dead.
I don’t want to book and have to claw back some cancellation flights, etc.
I am hoping to hear that X or Y country is now good to go for US a people. And hopefully getting back into US without some sort of stipulation will be good too.

My answer then to the question is, I will go anywhere that opens up to me, free from onerous rules.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Haven't changed a bit. We pretty much only do road trips to AirBnb types of places. That continued last summer and will continue again this summer.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I've more or less written off 2021 as another wasted year in terms of travel. I hope 2022 will be better, although it wouldn't surprise me if something worse than Covid comes along by then. I retired at the end of 2019 and had extensive travel plans for 2020, but haven't been more than 30 miles from my house for the past year. Hopefully Covid vaccines will be generally available by the end of 2021, but more importantly, my understanding is that even if any of the Covid treatments being developed proves successful, none will be available until 2022. By the end of this year I'll have lost only about $1k in travel deposits so I guess that's not horrible - certainly far less than I've saved by not traveling.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

We're planning a 6-8 state road trip in early May through the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, etc. South Dakota is the only state I haven't been to. We won't have our vaccines by then.

The flight from LAX to ORD is only $98 return. It's the rental car that's killing us, even away from the airport.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

We’re throwing the dog in the RV on around April 1st and hitting the road for about 6 weeks. We have no camping reservations and no real plans of any sort. We’re just heading west, that’s all we know.

I know you asked for plans, but that’s the best I got.
Being wrong compounds forever.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I have been booking various speculative trips on points since this started. Right now I have the following on the books:

Just cancelled trip to Spain in May (flights got cancelled so just did a free refund to points).

Trip to Japan in August. There is almost zero chance of this happening since they aren't letting foreigners in for the Olympics (I am scheduled after this) and they are way behind on their vaccine efforts.

Trip to Turkey in late October. I think this will happen given Turkey's relatively open policy for accepting travelers.

Trip to NYC in November. Pretty confident this will happen.

Spain in Late January 2022 fairly confident this might happen pending what ends up happening with variants this coming winter.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 am Not too much mention of overseas places to visit for Americans. We are a kind of pariah at the moment due to our huge rates of sick and dead.
Given how well vaccination is going along with the fact that we already have a bunch of folks who have had it and presumably have some level of immunity, I think we will probably get to herd immunity a lot faster than a lot of other places. I believe we will be a lot less pariah like going forward. I think the issue will be that many countries will be cautious of letting in foreigners until their populations have been largely immunized irrespective of whether the foreigner is vaccinated. The US is much further along on this than most countries on vaccination so don't take our progress as what is happening elsewhere.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 am
The flight from LAX to ORD is only $98 return. It's the rental car that's killing us, even away from the airport.
Check back periodically. Rental car prices fluctuate quite a bit and can sometimes drop significantly a few weeks before the pick up date.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

2022: two weeks to a month stay in the Abruzzo region in Italy. My family name originates there.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

No travel plans in 2021, the entire country is going to be a zoo with everyone traveling everywhere. We're waiting until 2022 when people have blown all their stimulus checks and the crowds have died down.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:26 am I believe we will be a lot less pariah like going forward. I think the issue will be that many countries will cautious of letting in foreigners until their populations have been largely immunized irrespective of whether the foreigner is vaccinated.
+1
This is how it seems to be working out. In any case, not much point going abroad while everything we might want to see and do is closed.

Another factor is reciprocity. Since the new administration went out of its way to reimpose the ban on Europeans coming to the US, it's unlikely that the EU will open up to Americans in the near future.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Heading to Utah for some hiking with my sibling around Canyonlands and Grand Staircase/Escalante. Haven't been there before so excited about it.

A bit trip to Singapore and Thailand with my family was canceled first in March 2020, rescheduled and then canceled for good in January 2021. I got refunds for everything, so hoping to rebook this trip again in early 2022.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

vitaflo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:46 am No travel plans in 2021, the entire country is going to be a zoo with everyone traveling everywhere. We're waiting until 2022 when people have blown all their stimulus checks and the crowds have died down.
we traveled so much in the last 10 years prior (probably 70% of my work time, 100% of the final two years) to retirement in 2007 I was planning to lay off for a while. But the recession hit and the deals were just too good. Nobody traveling, low occupancy and rates at hotels. Couldn't resist. Will hold off this time as well since I think you are right - will be a zoo. Flying isn't what it used to be so not that eager to get on a plane anyway - pandemic or no. Some day I'll have to figure out what to do with all my frequent flyer miles.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:29 am
Check back periodically. Rental car prices fluctuate quite a bit and can sometimes drop significantly a few weeks before the pick up date.
Yes, car rental is expensive now. The current lowest price for a 10 day car rental in Las Vegas is about $550. That is before any insurance is considered.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Good thread idea, but I'd suggest we also include our approximate ages so our plans have some age-related context:

My wife and I are late 60s/early 70s. We will be finished with vaccinations in three weeks, and will wait at least two weeks after that for immunity boost to occur. So, what will we be doing for travel? First, getting used to being out in public:

Travel Plans (with subsequent phases dependent on comfort level of previous phases):

1. Eat at outdoor restaurants with friends who are vaccinated
2. Book a 30 minute flight to a nearby resort area to test our comfort level with the airport and flying experience. Will fly first class, and possibly also book the row behind us as well with the ExtaSeat trick.
3. Book a five-hour domestic flight and visit multiple sets of relatives.
4. Book a 10-hour flight to visit distant relatives.
5. If cruise lines ever reveal what their plans are if there is a covid outbreak aboard, book an Alaska cruise.
6. Book an international cruise.

We can dream, no?
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 am We're planning a 6-8 state road trip in early May through the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, etc. South Dakota is the only state I haven't been to. We won't have our vaccines by then.

I haven't been looking. Are rental cars expensive in general right now or is it specific to the area you're visiting?
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Hoping to go to Big Island Hawaii mid-late May. Holding fully refundable tickets and condo rental reservations. Need to get our family vaccinated by early May to pull this off.

Outer Banks NC condo rental late August - driving to that.

March - tentatively planning 2 week ski trip in Colorado or Cali
May - baseball road trip 3 weeks thru Midwest
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Despite the optimism portrayed in mainstream media, 2021 is going to be a wasteland for international travel. Go ahead and book something this year at a discount; just don't be too surprised when it gets cancelled and you get stuck with credits or some other non-ideal scenario.

Travel within the US should be fine so long as your destination isn't a densely populated attraction. But if you're thinking national parks or something, good luck with massive hordes that I'm sure are thinking the same thing.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

vitaflo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:46 am No travel plans in 2021, the entire country is going to be a zoo with everyone traveling everywhere. We're waiting until 2022 when people have blown all their stimulus checks and the crowds have died down.
We planned to do a road to the Great Smokey Mtns in 2020 but of course cancelled. Like you, we're hanging back this year until the dust clears. Probably will just do some semi-local (within a 3hr drive) AirBnbs.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

killjoy2012 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am
Travel within the US should be fine so long as your destination isn't a densely populated attraction. But if you're thinking national parks or something, good luck with massive hordes that I'm sure are thinking the same thing.
I agree with this. The key is to not go to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, or the other popular parks that everyone always visits.

Google “least visited national parks” and you’ll find some real gems. This was my strategy in the fall, and the place we chose was pretty empty. Doing the same this year.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

For those who are interested in knowing which countries are accepting Americans, here is a link to CNN Travel that updates a list periodically:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-i ... index.html

Guatemala is on my list in late summer if the U.S. does drop test requirement on entry for vaccinated people.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

We're scheduled for Ireland in October - going with CIE just doing a tour this time instead of on our own. With retirement on the horizon in 2022 - looking forward to repeating Italy and making a first trip to Prague / Vienna.

My cousin and I broke our streak of 16 consecutive years meeting up middle of PA for some minor league baseball games with the Altoona Curve. Hoping to get back there this summer.

My wife got her Pfizer COVID vax in Jan as an RN
I'm scheduled for for my first shot later this afternoon...

Best of luck to all and happy travels.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

alpenglow wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:54 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 am We're planning a 6-8 state road trip in early May through the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, etc. South Dakota is the only state I haven't been to. We won't have our vaccines by then.

I haven't been looking. Are rental cars expensive in general right now or is it specific to the area you're visiting?
Rental car companies sold a lot of their fleet during covid because 1) nobody was renting cars and 2) there was a huge demand for used vehicles. So the problem right now is that inventory levels are rental car companies is very low. It will be harder to get one and you are unlikely to get the vehicle type you want when you show up (even if one was "reserved" for you).
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

vitaflo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Rental car companies sold a lot of their fleet during covid because 1) nobody was renting cars and 2) there was a huge demand for used vehicles. So the problem right now is that inventory levels are rental car companies is very low. It will be harder to get one and you are unlikely to get the vehicle type you want when you show up (even if one was "reserved" for you).
Makes sense. Thanks. Good thing I'm not renting a car anything soon.
dewey

Post by dewey »

We receive our second dose of Moderna in three days. Walla Walla wine country over Easter weekend with my wife. End of May wine trip with an old friend to CA. Hoping for a June road trip to MN to see our daughters and granddaughter for the first time in a year. Tentative trip to New England with our friends for the fall. Then 2022--Italy and Denmark for sure. Life is short and also for sure...the clock ticks.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
worthit

Post by worthit »

I just read that Italy has announced a major lockdown again. Due to the practical challenges in immunizing the general public throughout the world, I think 2021 is going to be a wash as well. Domestic travel MAY be safer but again depends if it is a spring break like vacation or something more subdued and well thought out (avoiding crowds, closed enclosures for the most part etc.). No one can predict viruses and their evolution. So I would say a cautious approach would be prudent. I can see 2022 being more realistic for a carefree travel again.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

dewey wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 pm We receive our second dose of Moderna in three days. Walla Walla wine country over Easter weekend with my wife. End of May wine trip with an old friend to CA. Hoping for a June road trip to MN to see our daughters and granddaughter for the first time in a year. Tentative trip to New England with our friends for the fall. Then 2022--Italy and Denmark for sure. Life is short and also for sure...the clock ticks.
Just an aside - recommendations for wine trips in CA?
We went to Stags' Leap Winery a few years ago and it was very nice - might try some other areas
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

San Diego and Santa Barbara next month. I get the second dose of Pfizer next weekend.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Will continue to be locked down for the foreseeable future. No plans to leave the house this year. Risk is too high.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

GG1273 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:22 pm
dewey wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 pm We receive our second dose of Moderna in three days. Walla Walla wine country over Easter weekend with my wife. End of May wine trip with an old friend to CA. Hoping for a June road trip to MN to see our daughters and granddaughter for the first time in a year. Tentative trip to New England with our friends for the fall. Then 2022--Italy and Denmark for sure. Life is short and also for sure...the clock ticks.
We went to Stags' Leap Winery a few years ago and it was very nice - might try some other areas
My wife and I like the Paso Robles and Temecula regions. Plenty of good wineries, not so pretentious as Napa/Sonoma.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:32 pm
My wife and I like the Paso Robles and Temecula regions. Plenty of good wineries, not so pretentious as Napa/Sonoma.

Thanks! Will check out some wines from those areas on Vivino.com that we can buy here in NJ prior to going.
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

Sonoma, Paso Robles, Monterey County, Santa Barbara. Temecula wine is awful IMO.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Everything we booked for 2020 was rescheduled for 2021. We are going to Turks and Caicos in Nov. We are hopeful this trip won’t be cancelled. Going to Glacier National in June for two weeks. Unless the park closes, we are going. Last year we had reservations in the summer, but the park closed. Last, we have a Steamboat Springs ski trip scheduled in a couple of weeks. My intent is to make 2022 epic starting in Vegas.
mudphudder

Post by mudphudder »

Taking a family trip to coastal South Carolina with 2 days in Savannah, GA in September. No plans for international travel yet so I'm hoping airfare doesn't skyrocket before I'm able to plan something.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

I'm looking in the greater Chicago area, which is rarely a bargain. I figured I could get it for $300 cheaper (21-day rental) in Milwaukee, but it looks like Chicago-style prices elsewhere along the itinerary. We'd be doing a loop, so can start/end anywhere.

Airfares don't seem great either, apart from this LAX-ORD $98 deal.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:29 am
Oh, definitely. Nothing set in stone yet. I'm just perusing on the weekend, which is never a great time for pricing. If worst comes to the worst, we can spend $100 total for return Amtrak tickets to Milwaukee to get a car that's $300 cheaper. But then we'd have to double-back in the car a bit to see the Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in Racine and environs.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Hoping to go backpacking in New Mexico in the fall. May or may not happen.

Tentative choices are either the Gila Wilderness (near Silver City) or the Pecos Wilderness (near Santa Fe) areas.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
clip651

Post by clip651 »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:29 am
We will follow and respect all guidance and will wear masks as required.
Well, CDC is not recommending non-essential travel yet, vaccinated or not. (I realize plenty of states are actively advertising to welcome travelers despite this.) So you mean you'll follow some of the guidelines if you travel in early 2021.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Most of Europe is closed to Americans, as are Canada and Japan. California has a 10 day quarantine. Those were the top of my list. I'm waiting and hoping.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

New Zealand Air just extended the trip credit from our cancelled May 2020 trip to June 2022. So hopefully we'll be able to see our friends in New Zealand in early 2022.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I cancelled a planned trip to Spain in the late spring of 2020. I hope to reschedule it for the late spring of 2022.

Much as I would like to travel in late 2021, I honestly don't think life will be fully back to normal by then, either here or in Spain.
IMO

Post by IMO »

clip651 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 pm
flyingaway wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:29 am
We will follow and respect all guidance and will wear masks as required.
Well, CDC is not recommending non-essential travel yet, vaccinated or not. (I realize plenty of states are actively advertising to welcome travelers despite this.) So you mean you'll follow some of the guidelines if you travel in early 2021.
Yep, if one is saying they will follow all "guidance" then you MUST follow the CDC advice. Here's a link to different levels of travel advisories from the CDC, and at the present time the whole US (and almost the whole world) is in the red zone: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tices.html

Then again, 1 yr ago, I was wearing one of just 3 people (spouse/kid were the others) wearing a mask (N95 also) on a full flight when the CDC, the Surgeon General, Dr. Fouci and all media outlets were advising wearing a mask is not advised, in fact, it was highly discouraged.

Having flown a number of times more recently, while the number of flights are significantly down, flights are packed and you'll likely have someone in the middle seat in most of the seats (at least on SW flights). Ironically, the airlines were an industry that did NOT have any social distancing mandated upon them, their lowered numbers were normal market forces.
R0verandout

Post by R0verandout »

Currently waiting on American Airlines booking line to call back as I try to book flights to the UK for this summer (July). My brother is getting married, and we have credit from a cancelled trip last year, so my approach is to get the booking in now, and if circumstances don't allow to travel then we will cancel again and rebook for Christmas or next summer.

I have some confidence though that at least some travel might be available - everyone in my family in the UK has managed to at least get their first dose, and my wife and I have managed to get it here in Kansas, where there has been a real ramp up in availability over the last 2 weeks (currently essential workers and over 65s, but the list of essential workers covers something like 1/3 of the population!) so the only risk vaccine wise is the status of children, as we really don't know when our daughter will be able to get it.

We are avoiding any flights connecting through mainland Europe or Ireland, as they are well behind on vaccination rates, and I can see travel there being more difficult for longer, but for now crossing our fingers and hoping.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

Prince Edward Island, Canada a place to visit if you like beautiful scenery, fantastic seafood especially lobster, uncrowned beaches, folk music, over the top sunsets, beautiful walks on red sand beaches with no one around and friendly locals.We were all set for September 2020 had to cancel our month long visit. Does not look like the Canadian border will open by the summer so definitely in 2022.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

mrb09 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:40 pm New Zealand Air just extended the trip credit from our cancelled May 2020 trip to June 2022. So hopefully we'll be able to see our friends in New Zealand in early 2022.
Was looking at Aus and NZ for an early 2022 trip but I honestly think they and other countries pursuing a zero case strategy will be the absolute last to reopen. I'd consider Q1/2022 to be very speculative as to a reopening of either country.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:15 pm
mrb09 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:40 pm New Zealand Air just extended the trip credit from our cancelled May 2020 trip to June 2022. So hopefully we'll be able to see our friends in New Zealand in early 2022.
Was looking at Aus and NZ for an early 2022 trip but I honestly they and other countries pursuing a zero case strategy will be the absolute last to reopen. I'd consider Q1/2022 to be very speculative as to a reopening of either country.
Yea, agreed. But at least so far, New Zealand Air has been good about cancellations due to Covid and extending credits.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

We just got back from 6 weeks on the Gulf Coast. Things were mostly open, lots of masks and pump-bottles of sanitizer but still accessible.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius