What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Wilderness Librarian

Re: What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

No flights until some degree of normalcy returns. Maybe Seattle for a couple of days in December (I much prefer Seattle in the winter).

Exploratory camping with various kinds of equipment/location/duration. Off the beaten track short distance hiking in different kinds of terrain & vegetative zones. Find some prairie grass areas/some old growth forests/some river trails/some rock scramble areas. Soak in some backcountry hot springs. Test equipment - try different approaches. Look for some morel mushrooms (last year was great) and huckleberries (I need to find new patches). Some longer distance & duration if my back doesn't give me problems (last year it did). National parks(?) - have a couple of thoughts for shoulder season. SE British Columbia(?) - if they open the border that is.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

mrb09 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:18 pm
THY4373 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:15 pm
mrb09 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:40 pm New Zealand Air just extended the trip credit from our cancelled May 2020 trip to June 2022. So hopefully we'll be able to see our friends in New Zealand in early 2022.
Was looking at Aus and NZ for an early 2022 trip but I honestly they and other countries pursuing a zero case strategy will be the absolute last to reopen. I'd consider Q1/2022 to be very speculative as to a reopening of either country.
Yea, agreed. But at least so far, New Zealand Air has been good about cancellations due to Covid and extending credits.
And even if NZ does reopen, incoming folks (even citizens) will likely have to apply to fly in, and will be on the hook for a 2-week stay at a quarantine hotel. It's a flat rate, and a crapshoot whether you get a 5-star joint downtown or budget accommodation near the airport, with plenty of options in between and even in other cities. So I wouldn't make too many plans.
Last edited by SrGrumpy on Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Have a wedding in Scottsdale, AZ in May so going there for a week of R&R.

Heading to Mackinac Island, MI for a week in July with some extended family.

Taking two weeks to go to Hawaii after Thanksgiving- visiting both Oahu and Kauai.

In between we'll take some long weekends and go to the lake. Would like to go to Barrett Jackson in two weeks but work schedule will not allow unfortunately.

This may be the first year I didn't burn all of my PTO! I get 6 weeks and sounds like I'll be carrying over a week unfortunately.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Still have our fingers crossed for hiking the Italian Dolomites in the fall, and are looking at the Peloponnese Peninsula in Greece for fall of 2022. Or push them both out when we can travel.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

We are not planning any trips that we might want to request a refund that might be an issue.

We have recently gained our first grandchild, so there will be more frequent 150 mile trips for those visits. We also have already scheduled some overnight trips for outdoor house concerts from April through June.

Our "more major" trips that we want to make, in no particular order, are Denali, Hawaii, and Boston. We will work those in as our very flexible schedules and travel conditions permit. We hope to make one of those this year, but if we can't, we'll postpone again. No big deal.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

We get our second vaccine next Friday, and plan to drive to Maryland to visit family in early May.
No flights this year. We might hit a couple nearby beaches and/or golf resorts in the fall if everything goes well.
🤞
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:32 pm
GG1273 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:22 pm
dewey wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 pm We receive our second dose of Moderna in three days. Walla Walla wine country over Easter weekend with my wife. End of May wine trip with an old friend to CA. Hoping for a June road trip to MN to see our daughters and granddaughter for the first time in a year. Tentative trip to New England with our friends for the fall. Then 2022--Italy and Denmark for sure. Life is short and also for sure...the clock ticks.
Just an aside - recommendations for wine trips in CA?
We went to Stags' Leap Winery a few years ago and it was very nice - might try some other areas
My wife and I like the Paso Robles and Temecula regions. Plenty of good wineries, not so pretentious as Napa/Sonoma.
I find a lot of Paso wines over the top, but I'm a big fan of Tablas Creek - great Rhone-style wines. :beer
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

oxothuk wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:32 pm
GG1273 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:22 pm
dewey wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 pm We receive our second dose of Moderna in three days. Walla Walla wine country over Easter weekend with my wife. End of May wine trip with an old friend to CA. Hoping for a June road trip to MN to see our daughters and granddaughter for the first time in a year. Tentative trip to New England with our friends for the fall. Then 2022--Italy and Denmark for sure. Life is short and also for sure...the clock ticks.
Just an aside - recommendations for wine trips in CA?
We went to Stags' Leap Winery a few years ago and it was very nice - might try some other areas
My wife and I like the Paso Robles and Temecula regions. Plenty of good wineries, not so pretentious as Napa/Sonoma.
+1 on Paso Robles, and not just because my wife and I got a freebie trip there from California marketing folks. Eberle winery is the biggie, IIRC. Also recommend olive oil tasting at Kiler Ridge, dining at Grey Wolf Cellars, more tasting at Allegretto, and boutique wineries, cideries, ice creameries at the Tin City area in Paso. There are also a couple of hot springs, and you're just 30 miles from the James Dean crash site. Absolute must-do - the Field of Lights - https://sensoriopaso.com/
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

killjoy2012 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am Despite the optimism portrayed in mainstream media, 2021 is going to be a wasteland for international travel. Go ahead and book something this year at a discount; just don't be too surprised when it gets cancelled and you get stuck with credits or some other non-ideal scenario.

Travel within the US should be fine so long as your destination isn't a densely populated attraction. But if you're thinking national parks or something, good luck with massive hordes that I'm sure are thinking the same thing.
I am currently booked for a trip to France in the middle of October. Not my choice. I (foolishly) paid in full a year ago for a Seine river cruise for September 2020 before we had any idea how bad the pandemic would be. The company cancelled the trip, of course, but refuse to use the word "cancel." They say it was "postponed."

They refuse to give me a refund -- because the trip wasn't cancelled -- and, for the most part, have ignored my emails. I did not hear from them until I submitted a formal complaint with the BBB. Then I learned they had rescheduled the trip, but the only similarity was that it includes a cruise on the Seine. Fewer days cruising and on a "value" ship instead of the high-end vessel with balcony that I had signed up for. Also, the only spot available for me was in the latter part of October.

On top of refusing a refund, they tried to get me to pay more. They said it was a different program. I told them if it was a different program, that means the one I paid for was, indeed, cancelled. They couldn't have it both ways. I was certainly not going to pay more for a program I would never have booked in the first place.

So, in answer to the initial question: France. If it actually happens. I don't know what my dealings with the company that has my money will be like if they are again forced to "postpone."

I was also booked to do back-to-back cruises this year, 28 days on a British cruise line in July and August going to the Western Med and around the UK. I got antsy about that, so in January I had them move my deposit to 2022 and am booked for two cruises in May. Glad I did, because they are now cancelling right up to July, and after that they may only be doing 6-day cruises around the UK.
vveat

Post by vveat »

We are headed out for a week of sailing on St. Martin during spring break. Bareboat sailing is an isolated activity by nature and we would have had our first vaccines already, so we feel risk is not that big.

However, testing requirements for international travel are the big hassle right now - figuring out which locations do not require quarantine, which ones don't ask for daily health forms (Bahamas) - which could be annoying when you are sailing in a remote location without internet. I am also already scouting local testing facilities, for the required testing before reentering the USA.

We have to go to Europe over the next few months (family commitments), but we do expect similar hassle so we'll do it individually without the kids, not exactly a vacation. Summer will be local otherwise - maybe rent a lake house for a week with friends, and do some local sailing. And we usually do sailing again in the Caribbean the week of Thanksgiving, hopefully travel will be much less hassle by then.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I booked flight to Barcelona flight. Will spend three weeks in Spain and Portugal during 2021 Christmas. Will get vaccine on Monday. Wish me good luck and happy travel in Europe.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

A nurse friend and I are both healthcare professionals and were fortunate to get the vaccine in January. We planned a Caribbean beach resort vacation in June before it gets really overbooked as more people get vaccinated. I am very excited after all of this isolation.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

International travels are just not predictable right now.

So I am doing a week of hiking in Sedona. A week of biking in Santa Fe.

And then family trip Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier national park.

Will probably go to White mountains to hike again in the fall.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

IMO wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:35 pm
clip651 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 pm
flyingaway wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:29 am
We will follow and respect all guidance and will wear masks as required.
Well, CDC is not recommending non-essential travel yet, vaccinated or not. (I realize plenty of states are actively advertising to welcome travelers despite this.) So you mean you'll follow some of the guidelines if you travel in early 2021.
Yep, if one is saying they will follow all "guidance" then you MUST follow the CDC advice. Here's a link to different levels of travel advisories from the CDC, and at the present time the whole US (and almost the whole world) is in the red zone: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tices.html

Then again, 1 yr ago, I was wearing one of just 3 people (spouse/kid were the others) wearing a mask (N95 also) on a full flight when the CDC, the Surgeon General, Dr. Fouci and all media outlets were advising wearing a mask is not advised, in fact, it was highly discouraged.
A year ago the virus was much newer than now. Recommendations change. The idea is to follow the current ones. Travel is broader than just plane trips.

And they've multiple times addressed that the initial recommendations against masks for the public were in part to preserve the available masks for the healthcare workers when they were in short supply.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

GerryL wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:08 pm
killjoy2012 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am Despite the optimism portrayed in mainstream media, 2021 is going to be a wasteland for international travel. Go ahead and book something this year at a discount; just don't be too surprised when it gets cancelled and you get stuck with credits or some other non-ideal scenario.

Travel within the US should be fine so long as your destination isn't a densely populated attraction. But if you're thinking national parks or something, good luck with massive hordes that I'm sure are thinking the same thing.
I am currently booked for a trip to France in the middle of October. Not my choice. I (foolishly) paid in full a year ago for a Seine river cruise for September 2020 before we had any idea how bad the pandemic would be. The company cancelled the trip, of course, but refuse to use the word "cancel." They say it was "postponed."

They refuse to give me a refund -- because the trip wasn't cancelled -- and, for the most part, have ignored my emails. I did not hear from them until I submitted a formal complaint with the BBB. Then I learned they had rescheduled the trip, but the only similarity was that it includes a cruise on the Seine. Fewer days cruising and on a "value" ship instead of the high-end vessel with balcony that I had signed up for. Also, the only spot available for me was in the latter part of October.

On top of refusing a refund, they tried to get me to pay more. They said it was a different program. I told them if it was a different program, that means the one I paid for was, indeed, cancelled. They couldn't have it both ways. I was certainly not going to pay more for a program I would never have booked in the first place.

So, in answer to the initial question: France. If it actually happens. I don't know what my dealings with the company that has my money will be like if they are again forced to "postpone."

I was also booked to do back-to-back cruises this year, 28 days on a British cruise line in July and August going to the Western Med and around the UK. I got antsy about that, so in January I had them move my deposit to 2022 and am booked for two cruises in May. Glad I did, because they are now cancelling right up to July, and after that they may only be doing 6-day cruises around the UK.
Your situation is what credit card chargebacks where designed for...hope you did not pay by check.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I’m booking like crazy domestic and Caribbean. First trip is next month. Party on!
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
B73

Post by B73 »

We booked flights to Arizona for mid May to visit the Grand Canyon and a few other parks. Also flying to North Carolina in June to visit the in laws.
golf101

Post by golf101 »

Cruise to Antarctica in February 2022 that was postponed. I was supposed to be boarding the ship next Thursday.

Looking for somewhere to go in September for 2-3 weeks. Will depend on flight prices and vaccines in the rest of the world.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

removed by author
Last edited by BogleFan510 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Man, I was really hoping the cruise industry would go away forever. Oh well, next pandemic maybe.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

My wife got her second shot of Moderna last Saturday and I get my second Pfizer shot this coming Wednesday. The same day Pfizer clinical results were announced in November, I purchased airline tickets for Paris in June. Fares are fully refundable and unless vaccination rates increase rapidly in France, that trip will likely get rescheduled for the fall. We currently have reservations for Kansas City in April, Galena Illinois in May and Door County Wisconsin this summer. Everything we book is refundable. Airlines, hotels and Airbnb are much more accommodating on cancellations right now as compared to their policies prior to the pandemic and we really appreciate their flexibility. We plan to continue pre-booking as many trips as possible now while there's quality accommodations and flights available at reasonable rates.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Cruise wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Your situation is what credit card chargebacks where designed for...hope you did not pay by check.
Like I said, "foolishly." Paid with echeck to save a few dollars. Will never, ever do that again. You can also bet that I will never give that company any more business. I just hope I get to go on the trip, even if it is not the one I specifically chose. I've already reserved a room in a hotel I like for my pre-stay. (No deposit. Cancel up to 48 hours before arrival.)
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

I expect to receive the second Moderna shot early in April, and will probably visit my son in Honolulu for a week mid-May.

I've also made a deposit for a small group hiking trip to Death Valley in January of 2022. I might spend another week on my own in the southwest (Tucson probably) after that.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I had a great experience traveling in 2020 (unfortunately limited to 2 trips to Hawaii, and couple more longer trips by car) but I plan to return to normal in 2021. I just booked my flights to Europe for summer. With miles, at very good rates.
There are enough countries with no restrictions.
Nowadays we go skiing and spend the night in a hotel almost every weekend.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 pm
killjoy2012 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am
I agree with this. The key is to not go to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, or the other popular parks that everyone always visits.

Google “least visited national parks” and you’ll find some real gems. This was my strategy in the fall, and the place we chose was pretty empty. Doing the same this year.
When we travel this spring I expect the national parks to look far different than they did last fall. Southwest Airlines just sent me an email promo yesterday to fly with them to visit the National Parks. That’s pretty much all I needed to know about what crowds are going to look like. Never before has Southwest ever tried to entice me with a National Park to buy a plane ticket. Southwest knows what it’s customers are already thinking. No, it’s not about a buffet in Vegas.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:46 am
I agree with this. The key is to not go to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, or the other popular parks that everyone always visits.

Google “least visited national parks” and you’ll find some real gems. This was my strategy in the fall, and the place we chose was pretty empty. Doing the same this year.
When we travel this spring I expect the national parks to look far different than they did last fall. Southwest Airlines just sent me an email promo yesterday to fly with them to visit the National Parks. That’s pretty much all I needed to know about what crowds are going to look like. Never before has Southwest ever tried to entice me with a National Park to buy a plane ticket. Southwest knows what it’s customers are already thinking. No, it’s not about a buffet in Vegas.

Is that a free ticket?
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

cs412a wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:13 am I expect to receive the second Moderna shot early in April, and will probably visit my son in Honolulu for a week mid-May.

I've also made a deposit for a small group hiking trip to Death Valley in January of 2022. I might spend another week on my own in the southwest (Tucson probably) after that.
Does Hawaii still require visitors to do two week quarantine?
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

GerryL wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:03 am
Cruise wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Like I said, "foolishly." Paid with echeck to save a few dollars. Will never, ever do that again. You can also bet that I will never give that company any more business. I just hope I get to go on the trip, even if it is not the one I specifically chose. I've already reserved a room in a hotel I like for my pre-stay. (No deposit. Cancel up to 48 hours before arrival.)
I think I will wait until about two weeks before an international trip to book the tickets. It might be a little bit more expensive.
Wanderingwheelz

flyingaway wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:46 am

Is that a free ticket?
No. When I clicked on the promo out of curiosity (I have zero interest in flying as an RV owner) it wasn’t even to fly me to a national park. Best I could tell it was for a Hawaii vacation. Clearly, Southwest knows it’s customer base is thinking about national parks so it was clickbait for all intents and purposes.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

flyingaway wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:12 am
cs412a wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:13 amI expect to receive the second Moderna shot early in April, and will probably visit my son in Honolulu for a week mid-May.

You can avoid the state's mandatory 10-day quarantine if you have a valid negative COVID-19 test result prior to travel/arrival in Hawaii. I still need to find out the exact time window for the test. There's more information on the travel requirements at https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Well, I have weddings to attend in June (may go) and September (confident I'll go).

Not planning a big trip until family is vaccinated. So given lack of lead time, maybe no big vacation this summer. Will sort it out when I know timing of vaccinations. Have wanted to go to the Galapagos for a long time, so maybe that will be in the cards for 2022.
nobleGas

Post by nobleGas »

flyingaway wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:12 am
cs412a wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:13 am I expect to receive the second Moderna shot early in April, and will probably visit my son in Honolulu for a week mid-May.

I went to Hawaii in late January. It was magnificent without all the tourists.

Each island has its own quarantine rules.

On Oahu, you can avoid the quarantine by getting a negative result on a specified kind of COVID test from a Hawaii partner provider within 72 hours of taking off on the final leg of the flight to Hawaii. Follow the rules and you skip the quarantine. Keep a copy of the negative result for the hotel.
PinotGris

Post Covid Family vacation

Post by PinotGris »

What your plans?
We are planning a family vacation with my son and his wife in Alabama and my daughter and her family with 2 teenagers in LA and we both live in the east coast. All we know right now is we want to be together, first week in August, and planning a trip that will have something for everyone. Walkable distance to town, hiking, some rafting, good scenery, birding. We plan to rent a big house or two small ones Air BnB. None of us has visited the NorthWeset much so we are thinking Oregon.
From the map it has a nice coast, beautiful forests, big big state. We will be flying in, which city depends on where we want to locate ourselves.
It looks to me like the west coast has a lot of options. Coos bay, Noth Bend area. If you are familiar with the state please help me plan. Thank you.
runner3081

Re: Post Covid Family vacation

Post by runner3081 »

The usual, we never stopped with our yearly road trip vacation. Went during 4th of July last year to the beach.
Pinotage

Re: Post Covid Family vacation

Post by Pinotage »

PinotGris wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:57 pm None of us has visited the NorthWeset much so we are thinking Oregon.
Mainly wanted to reply to another "vintage" BH wino, lol

But seriously, check out Newport. Beautiful!
burt

Post by burt »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:31 pm Will continue to be locked down for the foreseeable future. No plans to leave the house this year. Risk is too high.
+1
This thing is far from being over. Lots of unknowns.
It's a risk/benefit evaluation.
I didn't grind for 40 years just to be taken down early by a virus.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

I merged a post into this thread. Let’s also remember that virus risk is off-topic for this forum. Stay focused on travel ideas.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Going to start visiting nearby places; university, the downtown, museums, parks etc etc.
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Flyer24 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:11 pm I merged a post into this thread. Let’s also remember that virus risk is off-topic for this forum. Stay focused on travel ideas.
It seems like many are even afraid to leave the house. It will be hard to get lots of ideas on this forum.
FIREyourself

Post by FIREyourself »

Acadia National Park in late May!
1/3 VTI | 1/3 VXUS | 1/3 BND
Wanderingwheelz

FIREyourself wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:47 pm Acadia National Park in late May!
We spent a week there last October when it was mostly closed for the season. We stealth camped in our RV around the area to keep our distance. It was perfect!

Enjoy.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Fla West Coast, Key West, Miami Beach, WDW, Panama City Beach for month of April, then Bryce Canyon, Zion, Sequoia, Yosemite, California Hwy 1, Hollywood, Disneyland from Mid May to Mid June. This fall, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

wabbott wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm Fla West Coast, Key West, Miami Beach, WDW, Panama City Beach for month of April, then Bryce Canyon, Zion, Sequoia, Yosemite, California Hwy 1, Hollywood, Disneyland from Mid May to Mid June. This fall, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier.
California currently says "Traveling into California for tourism or recreation is strongly discouraged. If you do travel into California, you should self-quarantine for 10 days after you arrive, and should limit your interactions to people in your household" https://covid19.ca.gov/travel/

How are you planning to deal with this?

There's also the Hwy 1 closure. https://www.visitcalifornia.com/latest- ... ronavirus/
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

austin757 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm
Flyer24 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:11 pm I merged a post into this thread. Let’s also remember that virus risk is off-topic for this forum. Stay focused on travel ideas.
It seems like many are even afraid to leave the house. It will be hard to get lots of ideas on this forum.
Cheaper for the rest of us. First international trip is to Turks and Caicos in May. Called the vaccination timeline just about perfectly (humble brag).
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Seasonal wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:17 pm
wabbott wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm Fla West Coast, Key West, Miami Beach, WDW, Panama City Beach for month of April, then Bryce Canyon, Zion, Sequoia, Yosemite, California Hwy 1, Hollywood, Disneyland from Mid May to Mid June. This fall, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier.
California currently says "Traveling into California for tourism or recreation is strongly discouraged. If you do travel into California, you should self-quarantine for 10 days after you arrive, and should limit your interactions to people in your household" https://covid19.ca.gov/travel/

There's also the Hwy 1 closure. https://www.visitcalifornia.com/latest- ... ronavirus/
Not traveling to Cali until August myself, but I would expect all the quarantine restrictions to wind down in the next month or two.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

JonnyDVM wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 pm Not traveling to Cali until August myself, but I would expect all the quarantine restrictions to wind down in the next month or two.
While I'd guess that is true, I'm not making travel plans until things settle out. Different states have rather different policies, so I'd expect that rules will wind down at uneven rates.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Wife and I are contemplating travel to South Africa (Safari), and Namibia in Aug.-Sept. 2022. Original trip was scheduled for 2020.

If we do pull the trigger, CFAR, IFAR (interruption FAR), and Quarantine travel insurance options are a must for a trip like this.

Fingers crossed.
jmw

Post by jmw »

The only travel idea I have completed since March 2020 and into the future is to visit friends and family but absolutely no prepaid tourist spending. The deals over the past year have been fantastic and family is always open But I believe it's incredibly foolhardy to convert perfectly good cash to travel funny money that can be only used for rebooking and usually comes with an expiration date one year from booking date, especially for 6+ month future bookings to things. To me, pre-spending on tourist travel is just as foolish as buying actively managed mutual funds in this environment.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Seasonal wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm watching closely the repair progress on the Rat Creek washout at Big Sur. They're making good progress, and claim it will be open "early summer." As for the other travel restrictions, I anticipate they will be gone by the time we travel.