Club Publix: Worth It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JupiterJones

Club Publix: Worth It?

Post by JupiterJones »

Anyone here a member of Club Publix? As far as I can tell, the main advantage is that you get some coupons now and then. Are they any good? The rest of the perqs seems pretty ho-hum.

(Sure, it's "free" to sign up. But as the saying goes, if you're not paying for the product, you are the product. I'd like to avoid giving out my info if it's not worth it. I get enough spam email/calls/texts as it is!)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
tibbitts

Re: Club Publix: Worth It?

Post by tibbitts »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:25 am Anyone here a member of Club Publix? As far as I can tell, the main advantage is that you get some coupons now and then. Are they any good? The rest of the perqs seems pretty ho-hum.

(Sure, it's "free" to sign up. But as the saying goes, if you're not paying for the product, you are the product. I'd like to avoid giving out my info if it's not worth it. I get enough spam email/calls/texts as it is!)
Since I'm a member of every other grocery store program I've ever encountered, I don't see how one more would hurt. However due to the pandemic I haven't been within hundreds of miles of a Publix for more than a year.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I just logged onto my Publix app. 164 digital coupons are there right now. If you like coupons then joining their club is probably worth it.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We use it. Combining one of their BOGO deals with a Publix digital coupon is a nice bonus.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

If this turns into another one of those situations where I have to "sign up" to pay the price listed on the shelf, I'll stop shopping at Publix. That behavior is odious. I'm not carrying a swipe card, given you my phone number every time, opening your app to scan a bar code, etc. Don't push your data analytics burden back on me in exchange for not overcharging me.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

bwalling wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:53 am If this turns into another one of those situations where I have to "sign up" to pay the price listed on the shelf, I'll stop shopping at Publix. That behavior is odious. I'm not carrying a swipe card, given you my phone number every time, opening your app to scan a bar code, etc. Don't push your data analytics burden back on me in exchange for not overcharging me.
Even if you don't like that behavior, how far are you willing to go and how much are you willing to spend to avoid it? For example, in Florida, Publix is walking distance for me (okay, only in the winter, due to the heat.) At my other residence I can walk to Walmart. So those places are where I buy groceries most often. Comparatively, where I am in Florida, Walmart or any other grocery store is like an expedition. Lots of grocery stores have cards that you need to get the best prices; because I used to travel (pre-Covid), I have about a dozen of those cards. When I was traveling, maybe somewhere I'd never be again, I didn't want to waste time researching where I could buy groceries locally without a card. What would you do if the other stores don't require a card, but simply charge higher prices for every item?
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Go with Safeway or King Soopers (Kroger). All you would need is your phone number to input to get the good prices.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:15 am Go with Safeway or King Soopers (Kroger). All you would need is your phone number to input to get the good prices.
Grocery store availability is very local/regional; most people can't choose from more than a few. I have Safeway and Kroger cards from when I traveled to places with those stores, but don't have them where I live. Stores seem to go through periods when you need a card and others when you don't. Since I might not shop at a brand for years or even a decade, sometimes I'll look to scan my card (I carry the keychain versions), but it's no longer wanted.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:25 am Anyone here a member of Club Publix? As far as I can tell, the main advantage is that you get some coupons now and then. Are they any good? The rest of the perqs seems pretty ho-hum.

I love grocery store online coupon programs! They're easy to use, and the savings are often generous. I don't care that I am the product. The only information that they're harvesting from me is what I buy at their store. How does that hurt me? It doesn't, so they can have it.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

bwalling wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:53 am If this turns into another one of those situations where I have to "sign up" to pay the price listed on the shelf, I'll stop shopping at Publix. That behavior is odious. I'm not carrying a swipe card, given you my phone number every time, opening your app to scan a bar code, etc. Don't push your data analytics burden back on me in exchange for not overcharging me.
You don't need Club Publix to get the shelf price. You do need Club Publix to get a better price. It is basically a loyalty program.

Your choice.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am
Even if you don't like that behavior, how far are you willing to go and how much are you willing to spend to avoid it? For example, in Florida, Publix is walking distance for me (okay, only in the winter, due to the heat.) At my other residence I can walk to Walmart. So those places are where I buy groceries most often. Comparatively, where I am in Florida, Walmart or any other grocery store is like an expedition. Lots of grocery stores have cards that you need to get the best prices; because I used to travel (pre-Covid), I have about a dozen of those cards. When I was traveling, maybe somewhere I'd never be again, I didn't want to waste time researching where I could buy groceries locally without a card. What would you do if the other stores don't require a card, but simply charge higher prices for every item?
If they won't put their own number in to get me the price listed on the shelf, I'll reshelve my items and leave. This is only succeeding because people cave in and allow it. Much like the subscription model where we now own nothing and have to pay a perpetual monthly fee to have continued access to it. These do not make the consumer better off, and the consumer should reject them.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

bwalling wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:25 pm
If they won't put their own number in to get me the price listed on the shelf, I'll reshelve my items and leave. This is only succeeding because people cave in and allow it. Much like the subscription model where we now own nothing and have to pay a perpetual monthly fee to have continued access to it. These do not make the consumer better off, and the consumer should reject them.
Do you believe you are paying more than shelf price? Seriously?

Seems that would be easy enough to determine, no?

Surely you have used coupons before, same idea except they are digital coupons. You don't have to slow the checkout down by handing the cashier a handfull of paper coupons.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm I just logged onto my Publix app. 164 digital coupons are there right now. If you like coupons then joining their club is probably worth it.
Are they name-brand coupons or are they for the (excellent) Publix store brand? Or both?
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

JupiterJones wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:07 pm
Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm I just logged onto my Publix app. 164 digital coupons are there right now. If you like coupons then joining their club is probably worth it.
Are they name-brand coupons or are they for the (excellent) Publix store brand? Or both?
Today they have both name brand and Publix coupons.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
BigW

Post by BigW »

Club Publix is a no-brainer. Already had a Publix 'account' and now it is a 'Club Publix' account. The benefits? Many, many 'digital coupons' on both name brands and private label simply by entering your phone number when checking out. And yes, at times there are digital coupons on items that happen to be on sale or BOGO and the digital coupon still comes off at the end. Also, randomly there are extra offers like last week's '$3 off a $30 purchase' - pretty easy savings for just entering your phone number! Another 'benefit' is the weekly ad previews available online the day before the weekly ad breaks. All in all, pretty easy savings without the bother of carrying another loyalty card, especially if you're going to shop there anyway!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nobody is "caving in"; it's mutually beneficial. But since you don't like Publix, you should shop somewhere else. Same with subscription models: it's just a characteristic of some products. If you want to product, you purchase it using whatever model is available. No matter what the model is, some people will like it and some won't; some will choose to purchase and some won't. If I was the clerk I'd refuse to put my number in just to annoy you; everybody needs some amusement during the pandemic.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 am
Nobody is "caving in"; it's mutually beneficial. But since you don't like Publix, you should shop somewhere else. Same with subscription models: it's just a characteristic of some products. If you want to product, you purchase it using whatever model is available. No matter what the model is, some people will like it and some won't; some will choose to purchase and some won't. If I was the clerk I'd refuse to put my number in just to annoy you; everybody needs some amusement during the pandemic.
It's not "mutually beneficial". They already offered sales, coupons, etc. The change here is that you're now obligated to function as a self tracking device for their analytics. They changed something they already were offering and put an additional burden on the customer, as well as began taking and tracking the customer's data (which they also buy and sell on the back end with other merchants, Facebook, etc).

The customer has gained nothing here, and has lost several things. It is not possible to define this as "mutually beneficial" unless you fail to acknowledge that you already benefitted from sales and coupons to start with, so you gained nothing when you gave things up.

The amount of data held on consumers, at a personal level, is staggering, and is a massive disadvantage to the consumer, whether they realize it in their day to day life or not. It leads to information asymmetry, barriers to entry, and switching costs in the near term, and will harm consumers significantly more in the long term as these practices get more sophisticated.
Topic Author
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Okay, now I'm leaning towards signing up.

But maybe with a Google number just so I don't get my real cell spammed any more than it is already...