iPad for reviewing documents, and what size?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DocInColo

iPad for reviewing documents, and what size?

Post by DocInColo »

Part of my work involves reviewing medical records in PDF format. I was thinking of picking up an iPad to make it easier/more comfortable, rather than trying to read them on a desktop computer. Anyone use their iPad for something similar, and if so, what size did you get? The 12.9 seems a little unwieldy, but I am concerned the 11" might not fit the PDFs properly on the screen (have to zoom, scroll, etc.).
onourway

Re: iPad for reviewing documents, and what size?

Post by onourway »

I like the 11" form factor, and don't have any issues with the size of PDF's, but I will admit my eyesight is still pretty good. I would pick the form factor you'd most likely prefer, and return it if it's not working for you.

FWIW, iPads are very likely to see an update in the next few weeks, so probably worth waiting.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

I work at home from my Mac Mini, but use my ipad on the road, and for reviewing documents, contracts, etc. I think the 11" is the way to go. The 12.9" is fine if you work almost exclusively from your ipad, or if you don't mind the extra baggage. For document review, I think the smaller version is the way to go.
Asset Allocation: VT
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

I have a mini and I don't like the size for reading. It's good for maybe an ebook but I'd go with one of the larger sizes for reading documents and even web pages. I'm at that age where the vision starts needing reading glasses though so that may be part of the problem. :D
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

DocInColo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 am Part of my work involves reviewing medical records in PDF format. I was thinking of picking up an iPad to make it easier/more comfortable, rather than trying to read them on a desktop computer. Anyone use their iPad for something similar, and if so, what size did you get? The 12.9 seems a little unwieldy, but I am concerned the 11" might not fit the PDFs properly on the screen (have to zoom, scroll, etc.).
Screen size in vertical mode on the 12.9" certainly would make reading the PDF documents a piece of cake (with or without reading glasses). For some, paying the extra cost for that screen size may be worth the price of entry, but you would also be getting some additional bells and whistles that you may not utilize. Depends on your need for reading speed, using the pinch feature easily allows you to increase and decrease size as you buzz through the documents if purchasing a smaller sized screen iPad. At my age and eyesight, I would probably go with the 12.9" plus the pencil for easy scrolling and mark up of the documents if budget were not an issue. Others would be fine with the 11" (Pro, Air, or 10.9" base iPad model). If portability were more important, I'd go with a smaller model (probably the basic iPad model since it is thin and easy to carry around compared to the others).

Best way to tell is get your hands on the various sizes and see for yourself which one fits the bill the best for you.

My wife uses the base model iPad daily for her speech pathology work with lots of documents and forms, but the case is this super duper, heavy duty case that makes it a lot heavier and larger than it appears. She does fine with that model and of course, portability is essential for her work. Her office offered her a keyboard for it, but she refused as she said she wouldn't use the keyboard. I personally use the larger 12.9" (holds all my PDF document/music so I can play at the piano in vertical position). That's a pretty common set up in the music world, but I have many colleagues and friends that do fine with the 11" (they have better eyesight than I do).

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
furwut

Post by furwut »

I have the original 10.7” iPad Pro (1st gen). It’s my only computing device and I extensively use it while sitting without a keyboard/stand. Even at ~1 lb. weight this leads to wrist strain. I don’t feel the larger iPad, owing to its heavier weight, can be used as much this way.

My recommendations,
IPad - No, poor screen
IPad Air - Budget solution, “retina” screen.
IPad Pro 11” - better screen refresh rate then the iPad Air.
IPad Pro 12.9” - too heavy? Will depend on how long you use it.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

There is no substitute for actually trying it. Perhaps you have a family member or friend who‘d let you borrow an iPad for a few days?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I think you’d do fine with a “standard” size iPad - 10 to 11 inches depending on model. The pinch and zoom function on the iPad is very easy to use once you get acclimated, so you don’t really need to see an entire page on the screen for most scenarios but you have that option and can then zoom in and back out as needed.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

DocInColo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 am Part of my work involves reviewing medical records in PDF format. I was thinking of picking up an iPad to make it easier/more comfortable, rather than trying to read them on a desktop computer. Anyone use their iPad for something similar, and if so, what size did you get? The 12.9 seems a little unwieldy, but I am concerned the 11" might not fit the PDFs properly on the screen (have to zoom, scroll, etc.).
I have an 11" (10.9"?) model and love reading PDFs on it.

The current ones have plenty of pixels, so resolution isn't a problem. Your eyes might be ... if so, you''ll want the
larger one.

But for the most part I've just been able to read PDFs (8.5" x 11" "page" size) without trouble). It is great.

If you can go to an Apple store you could test this out yourself...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have the older , smaller size of IPad. I use it much of the day. My eyesight is not great but there is no problem reading pdfs. Love the ability to zoom the screen if necessary.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Regarding small screen sizes, I occasionally read PDF's on my work phone (< 6" screen) and on a Kindle Fire (7" screen).

It's easier on the phone despite the smaller screen due to the high resolution, and especially because of the far better responsiveness. So keep in mind that even if zooming is needed, it's not necessarily a hassle if it is quick and easy to do.
TravelGeek wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:16 am There is no substitute for actually trying it. Perhaps you have a family member or friend who‘d let you borrow an iPad for a few days?
Or even go to an actual store.

I did this for my last laptop purchase because I really wanted to see the screen and feel the keyboard.

I also figured there is a cost to maintaining a showroom, so since I wanted to help ensure that experience remains available in the future, I decided I was willing to pay 5-10% more than it would cost online.

As it turned out, I paid less at Best Buy (sale price) than the same model and specifications was available for at Amazon, and I think about the same as it was at Newegg.

I seem to recall that Apple is one of the companies that contractually mandates pricing policies for their retailers, so I suspect there will be a lot of uniformity in price.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

DocInColo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 am Part of my work involves reviewing medical records in PDF format. I was thinking of picking up an iPad to make it easier/more comfortable, rather than trying to read them on a desktop computer.
Are you going to be sitting at a desk while using the iPad, or in a comfortable chair or on the couch at home?
dbr

Post by dbr »

I can't be specific to document reviewing in particular, but an interesting evolution I have noticed in my own use of devices is migration to smaller and lighter devices whether iPAD, Kindle, or phones. The reason is that carrying around, holding, and supporting heavier devices has "weighed" on me more and more as time goes on. That extends especially to reading in bed, loading up a backpack, finding a pocket to carry things in and so on. I use a Kindle that fits in my jacket pocket for when I go somewhere and have to wait or for reading in bed. My iPAD is an iPAD Mini. I have an iPhone 6 and will not buy a large phone when I finally upgrade to a 12 or maybe a 13.

When I have to do "real" work I go to the place designed for that, which is my desk and desktop. We put zoom meetings on an iMAC and have been enjoying some group Zoom Culture by signing in on the iPAD and viewing on TV via HDMI. In fact maybe you would like to sit back and do your document work on a TV set.
jco

Post by jco »

I've been considering getting an iPad with a pencel for similar reasons. To follow-up on what a previous poster said, it *appears* that a new iPad may be released on March 23rd. https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/08/ap ... h-23-kang/

If you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait to buy until then. That way you can make sure to get the newest version if it better serves your purposes, or you may be able to get a good deal on the older version if that meets your needs.
Topic Author
DocInColo

Post by DocInColo »

jco wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 pm
I've been considering getting an iPad with a pencel for similar reasons. To follow-up on what a previous poster said, it *appears* that a new iPad may be released on March 23rd. https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/08/ap ... h-23-kang/

If you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait to buy until then. That way you can make sure to get the newest version if it better serves your purposes, or you may be able to get a good deal on the older version if that meets your needs.
Interesting... I think it would probably be an iPad Pro?

This is another thing that I am curious about. MacBooks/iMacs last for years before they need to be replaced, but Apple is constantly coming out with new iPads. I am worried that an iPad will become obsolete much, much sooner (despite costing nearly as much as a full blown laptop). Has anyone experienced this planned obsolescence? How long does your iPad generally last before it's battery becomes unusable or it's too slow to run apps?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:08 am Others would be fine with the 11" (Pro, Air, or 10.9" base iPad model).
The iPad Air 4 ($600 and up) has a 10.9-inch screen (same body as the 11-inch Pro, so very slightly thicker bezels). The base iPad ($330 and up) has a 10.2-inch screen, with the older design (home button, larger bezels on two sides). The display itself, while still good, is a big step down from the Air and the Pro. It's not laminated so it shows an "air gap," and it has noticeably more glare and less contrast.

For those who primarily view content on their iPad, the Air 4 is an excellent choice if the 10.9-inch size works.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Hi Doc, how will you be viewing the iPad? While seated at a table? While walking around the clinic/hospital? That makes a big difference. If you're going to hold it with one hand while standing, for example, the 12.9" is too unwieldy. It even hurts my wrist after a few minutes. But with the 11", I can definitely hold it with one hand while moving about, though even that can strain the wrist after a while.

I think you'll want to be zooming in and out of PDFs with small font sizes though, unless you've got eagle vision.
dbr

Post by dbr »

DocInColo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 am
jco wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 pm

This is another thing that I am curious about. MacBooks/iMacs last for years before they need to be replaced, but Apple is constantly coming out with new iPads. I am worried that an iPad will become obsolete much, much sooner (despite costing nearly as much as a full blown laptop). Has anyone experienced this planned obsolescence? How long does your iPad generally last before it's battery becomes unusable or it's too slow to run apps?
I have two iPADS. I don't have in my mind exactly what model the first one is, maybe an iPAD 2, but I guess it is ten years old or something. It still works just fine except the OS is no longer supported. I have a newer iPAD mini I have had for a few years. It is totally good and I use it every day. The mini is an old model in the tree but all is still good. My years old iPhone 6 and the mini are up to date with OS14 or something and the batteries are fine.
onourway

Post by onourway »

DocInColo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 am Interesting... I think it would probably be an iPad Pro?

iPads have a very long usable lifespan - this will vary somewhat by which particular model you get and what Apple does in the immediate future after that, but for example, iOS14 still supports the iPad Air 2 which was first sold in 2014, and even after you lose update support, most people will find they are still functional for years after that (we still have an iPad 4, released in 2012, that we use for some dedicated tasks).

Generally, especially with the Pro model iPads, the hardware is so overpowered compared to the software available for it that an iPad will feel fast for years. My daily device is a 2018 iPad Pro 11" which still feels brand new - has never felt slow once for any task and is missing very little compared to the new models today. We'll see if what Apple releases later this month tempts me...
Topic Author
DocInColo

Post by DocInColo »

angelescrest wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:51 am
Hi Doc, how will you be viewing the iPad? While seated at a table? While walking around the clinic/hospital? That makes a big difference. If you're going to hold it with one hand while standing, for example, the 12.9" is too unwieldy. It even hurts my wrist after a few minutes. But with the 11", I can definitely hold it with one hand while moving about, though even that can strain the wrist after a while.

I think you'll want to be zooming in and out of PDFs with small font sizes though, unless you've got eagle vision.
Mainly seated or walking around. I held the 12.9 a colleague had and it would be great for table-top use, but seems unwieldy for just holding like a book. He also said its a bit cumbersome to use on an airplane compared to the smaller model.
dbr

Post by dbr »

It is an argument that all such devices are the worst of both worlds. They are too big to hold and too small to use.

I wonder how helpful it will actually be for you to not just do your document review at your desk. I do all my computer work at a desk where I have a decent screen, a keyboard that suits and a mouse. When I am not working at a desk I use as small a device as I can tolerate. The only one that I think hits a sweet spot is the "original" Kindle I use for reading in bed or in travel. It is the one that is not backlighted, has minimal size and weight, and the battery lasts for days. I can't lie in bed with anything heavier. I did clock myself a good one dropping the iPAD on my nose once.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

You need to hold the 12" before you commit. That said, while I was able to hold it, I could not justify the price given my income and use case. It's extremely large and feels more like a laptop than a tablet.

I decided that if I can't read it on my normal iPad, I'll print it out. I hate to say it, but it'd take reams and reams of printed paper to equal the cost of the ipad 12". BUT, it fits an 8.5x11" PDF true to size.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

DocInColo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:12 am Mainly seated or walking around. I held the 12.9 a colleague had and it would be great for table-top use, but seems unwieldy for just holding like a book. He also said its a bit cumbersome to use on an airplane compared to the smaller model.
I don't think you'll want to be using the larger one walking around. I suggest the 11". It's a great size, too.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Apple releases new laptops “all the time” as well.

I have used iPads since literally the first day they came out. I am currently on an iPad Air 3 and expect that it will last me at least four or five years. As sometimes upgrade sooner than necessary when donate my gently used device to a family member in need of an upgrade. If you buy a new device this year, I would not be worried about software or OS upgrade issues.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I use my older 9.7” for reviewing docs all the time. I would think anything between 10-11” would be fine. I passed on the 12.9” because at the time I bought it, I was carrying both the iPad and a MacBook Pro around in a backpack all day, and I was trying to keep the weight down. Also the 12.9” one at that time was pretty heavy and unwieldy for lap use.

If your local Apple store is open, I’d go and look at it in person.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bought a new iPad last fall. After the third trip back (I could not make up my mind), I selected the 12.9 inch. So glad I did! Best iPad ever and I can see things!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
furwut

Post by furwut »

I purchased my 1st Gen iPad Pro in 2017. I have detected no signs of it becoming obsolete or “challenged”. iPads have a larger battery then an iPhone and, consequently, it takes longer for it to have undergone the requisite number of discharge cycles to affect battery performance. Mine is my only computer and I use it extensively, all-day, off charger and I’m still happy.

The new iPad Pros are so over powered they are equivalent to, if not better, then Intel equipped MacBook Pros.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

DocInColo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 am Interesting... I think it would probably be an iPad Pro?

I don't think I've ever had an iPad retired due to battery issues and I've been using one since the second iPad 2. It was retired when Apple told me it was time by not supporting it with the annual iOS update.

iPad 2 lasted 6 years from iOS 4 to 9, it got too slow and was given to my daughter and I got an iPad Air.
iPad Air lasted 6 years from iOS 7 to 12, again gave it to my daughter and I got an iPad 7th gen. The iPad Air is abysmally slow at this point but it still has hours of battery life left and plays YouTube just fine.

So I've been averaging 5-6 years for each iPad. Because of planned obsolescence, I've been getting the lowest cost current generation iPad. I don't see a difference between the iPad Air or iPad 12.9" that my sister has other than the pro being thinner and larger. I can go larger than the 10.2 inch I currently own but at double the cost or more for an Air or for a Pro seems unnecessary to me. I don't think my current iPad will last another four years to make six which is acceptable for me because my other two iPads were $500 each. The current one only cost $300. I can move to a 3 or 4 year replacement cycle at this price point.