Audio Receiver Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
javabean

Audio Receiver Recommendations

Post by javabean »

Hi Bogleheads,
I recently purchased a new home which has ceiling speakers installed (3 front, 2 back) for surround sound effect in the living room. There are two ceiling speakers each, installed in the patio and the formal dining room. I am told that I need an audio receiver to make the connection between the audio source and the speakers. Obviously you can see that I have never dealt with an audio receiver before. I checked online and these things can cost anywhere from a hundred bucks to a few thousand.
My question to the forum is what features should I be looking for when buying a receiver. Any particular brands you recommend? I am not looking for anything fancy - just something decent enough that would enable me to enjoy surround sound and occasionally play some music in the patio.

JavaBean
adamthesmythe

Re: Audio Receiver Recommendations

Post by adamthesmythe »

As a guy who knows a bit about electronics, I would look for one with enough outputs to drive all your speakers. And enough inputs for the anticipated use. And consider size if you have a particular location in mind.

Personally I have had several Sonys (no particular reason).

Another point to consider- some don't care for the "Tokyo at night" look and want a restrained front panel.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

A "must have" today would be a receiver that is capable of internet connectivity. They have been available for years now, so nothing exotic.

I have always preferred Onkyo receivers; they are dependable, reasonably priced, and provided the options/specs I wanted.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 pm A "must have" today would be a receiver that is capable of internet connectivity. They have been available for years now, so nothing exotic.

I have always preferred Onkyo receivers; they are dependable, reasonably priced, and provided the options/specs I wanted.

Broken Man 1999
+1
I've used kenwood and yamaha receivers, but onkyo are my favorites.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

The audio features are likely to last for a long time. The thing that has always forced me to upgrade receivers tends to be the video in/out and processing features. I'd actually look at those first. Any reciever on the market today can almost certainly drive your speakers and has appropriate audio in/outputs.

Internet connectivity can be nice, but it depends on what you use the receiver for. Some have smart TV features which may be duplicative if you already have a smart TV.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

In addition to previous comments, it sounds (heh heh) like you need a receiver capable of a 5.1 main zone plus a stereo 2nd zone.

To muddy the waters further, I like Denons. Happy hunting. This can be a daunting task for newcomers. Perhaps someone will point you to a specific receiver--or two or more to choose from.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Questions:
Do you plan on running your TV audio through these speakers? Then it's likely you'll want an AV receiver with appropriate HDMI inputs and output(s).
Are you in the Apple ecosystem? You'll want a receiver that supports Airplay in addition to the internet connectivity another poster mentioned.

Check out the Wirecutter reviews. You'll probably learn a lot of what you need to know:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -receiver/
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 pm As a guy who knows a bit about electronics, I would look for one with enough outputs to drive all your speakers. And enough inputs for the anticipated use. And consider size if you have a particular location in mind.

Another point to consider- some don't care for the "Tokyo at night" look and want a restrained front panel.

Tokyo at night...good observation. I think it's a brand thing, or a line thing. Many years ago in the 1980s and 1990s I had several pieces of Nakamichi equipment. Beautiful appearance as well as awesome sound. I have always mourned the fact that the company rapidly went downhill after the old man died

One reason my current car is a Volvo rather than an Audi A4. I loved my model year 2000 A4 but the newer versions, the dashboard lighting, wow, it's like Vegas at night.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You need a multi-zone audio or AV receiver to drive the speakers in multiple rooms (i.e. zones). Google “multi zone receiver” for more.

There’s a lot of good brands out there, many mentioned above. There’s probably not a brand that is head and shoulders above the others so whether it is Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, etc. you are probably not going to go too far wrong.

I’d also look into adding a subwoofer as part of your 5.1 setup (living room) if you don’t have one. Adds a lot to the experience.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm You need a multi-zone audio or AV receiver to drive the speakers in multiple rooms (i.e. zones). Google “multi zone receiver” for more.
I have wireless headphones and I couldn't just plug them into the headphone jack on most receivers or else it would mute all the other speakers. I had to get a multi-zone system and connect the headphones to the second zone to get them to work properly. This was about 6 years ago, so maybe there's a better solution out there now.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

You have 5 speakers in your living room, so if you want to use all of them, you want a minimum 5-channel receiver. That will inevitably mean 5.1, where the .1 denotes a subwoofer output, which is an ubiquitous feature of surround sound receivers. A subwoofer also will likely provide a noticeably more balanced sound when setup properly, than the in-ceiling speakers alone, regardless of whether you want house-shaking bass.

For running the speakers on the patio, you need extra channels for those. This means you actually want a 7 channel speaker with support for 2 zones. Typically the receiver can be setup to either play 7-channel home theater sound, or to play 5-channel home theater sound, and use the other two channels for the 2nd zone. If you want to have both zones active at the same time with different content (eg, movie in the living room, while Pandora is played on the patio), make sure the receiver supports that. I think it is usually referred to as dual-source output.

If you want to use the kitchen speakers too, then you'll be looking at a 9-channel receiver with 3 zones.

There are other ways to address this, but I think a single receiver to manage it all will be simplest. As 9 channel receivers tend to be expensive, I suspect you are going to want to stop at 7 channels and leave out the kitchen.

Crutchfield has some graphics that might help this make sense here:
https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learn ... power.html

Or you can just get a 5-channel receiver for the surround sound, ignore the existing hardwired speakers in the patio and kitchen, and set up stand-alone sound there, such as a bluetooth speaker.
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 pm A "must have" today would be a receiver that is capable of internet connectivity. They have been available for years now, so nothing exotic.
I'd say it depends how you plan to use it. I might have a blind spot here having an older receiver that I got a really good deal on used after HDMI had become a major convenience feature. However, I've been pretty content running my devices through the TV, rather than through the receiver.

For a while, I was using the TV's smart interface and internet connection, but due to deep dissatisfaction with Samsung's seemingly willful sabotage of the usability of it, I switched to a Roku. It handles Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Pandora, Spotify, and could also stream music or video from a smartphone, PC, or NAS drive if desired.

A receiver may be the most convenient central point of connection for a home theater system, but because it is not the only way, I would consider internet connectivity a nice-to-have, rather than must have.
rob

Post by rob »

For a more low key front and lots of connection options (your looking for assignable in/outs), internet radio etc etc Look at the mid tier Marantz models. I love my (now discontinued but look for replacement models) sr5007.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 pm As a guy who knows a bit about electronics, I would look for one with enough outputs to drive all your speakers. And enough inputs for the anticipated use. And consider size if you have a particular location in mind.

I know what you mean about the receiver lights. My Onkyo has a feature to turn off the lighting on the tuner. And, all the front panel access to hook-ups is hidden behind a drop down door. Handy to use for temporary hookups, without having to see all the plugin/cable access once you are done. Nice and tidy. That access is much appreciated as you can hook up stuff without having to pull the receiver out to get to the back panel.

The receiver I am using in my garage isn't capable of 'net access, but my spare receiver in my closet is, when my garage receiver craps out.

You almost need to be an electrical engineer to wade thru all the various inputs and outputs and speaker options. :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

as far as a brand, I have had great success with Denon.

as far as selecting which 'model' of any brand to buy:

determine how much 'power' you need to drive the speakers you have;

determine the type and number of connections (ex: HDMI);

and how much you want to spend ($$$).

look for pages like this that can help educate you:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-O3yKUwTC5 ... ivers.html

please note that i am not suggesting to buy at crutchfield (or not buy at crutchfield). it is just a link to give you some basic information. :happy

you might consider getting two receivers (if your budget allows for it). one at a higher end ($$$) for powering the inside speakers (where sound quality is important) and one at the lower end ($) for powering the outside speakers (where sound quality might not be as important or noticeable).
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

rob wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:44 pm For a more low key front and lots of connection options (your looking for assignable in/outs), internet radio etc etc Look at the mid tier Marantz models. I love my (now discontinued but look for replacement models) sr5007.

+1 on the Marantz for looks and performance.

Also, as another commentator mentioned, what makes a receiver extinct is incompatibility with newer video technology. For example, my expensive Marantz (SR6006N) was built for 1080 processing, so is incompatible as a home entertainment center for my new 4K television ( can still use it to process the audio output of the TV). So, if you want to have a receiver that is a centerpiece of your home theatre, buy an 8K-compatible receiver, even if your TV is only 4K now.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I would give Crutchfield a call and have them help guide you. Ceiling mounted speakers aren’t going to sound great, so you are mainly buying on features, price, and user interface. As noted, to have 3 fully separate zones will be fairly expensive.

Another option is, as mentioned, to just forget about the speakers in the dining room and patio and just buy modern smart speakers for these areas. These are inexpensive, far easier to interact with, and will sound better too.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

New home to you or a newly constructed home? Before running out to buy a receiver, test those speakers and wiring to ensure that they're working! :)
midareff

Post by midareff »

Must be internet capable for streaming. There are > 20,000 stations of the web, anything anyone could want. As long as the inputs and outputs are adequate for driving your existing speakers you will be OK with any major brand..... Sony, Yahama, Onkyo and many more. I would not worry much about the receiver's sound quality since with in-ceiling speakers your home theater capabilities are already what you have.
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

I don't think a network-capable receiver is strictly necessary. You can attach a streaming device (you can go cheap with a $35 Raspberry Pi running Volumio, for example, or upscale with something like a Sonos Connect) and listen to internet radio stations and/or play ripped CDs that you've stored on a music server.

I have a Marantz NR 1603 with network streaming and never used any of the network features after the first couple of weeks (until fairly recently when I started using the AirPlay streaming on occasion) - I found that the interface for streaming internet radio stations was far clunkier than other streaming devices like Sonos offer.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

onourway wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:46 am I would give Crutchfield a call and have them help guide you. Ceiling mounted speakers aren’t going to sound great, so you are mainly buying on features, price, and user interface. As noted, to have 3 fully separate zones will be fairly expensive.

Another option is, as mentioned, to just forget about the speakers in the dining room and patio and just buy modern smart speakers for these areas. These are inexpensive, far easier to interact with, and will sound better too.
The other option is to put an impedance matching speaker selector on zone two, allowing more than a single pair of speakers.
midareff

Post by midareff »

jeroly wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:45 am I don't think a network-capable receiver is strictly necessary. You can attach a streaming device (you can go cheap with a $35 Raspberry Pi running Volumio, for example, or upscale with something like a Sonos Connect) and listen to internet radio stations and/or play ripped CDs that you've stored on a music server.

I have a Marantz NR 1603 with network streaming and never used any of the network features after the first couple of weeks (until fairly recently when I started using the AirPlay streaming on occasion) - I found that the interface for streaming internet radio stations was far clunkier than other streaming devices like Sonos offer.
FWIW... some streamers do it well, some are just not customer or listener oriented. With mine it runs on a cell app and you put in the genre or sub-genre you are looking for and it brings up all stations in that range. When you find one you like with appropriate quality and content you assign it to one of twenty shortcuts. When playing they all tell you the artist and album and from there you can go to Spotify (free) or Tidal (subscription ) and play literally anything that artist has even recorded in CD or better quality at the tap of a finger. No need to ever buy a CD again or be stuck listening to commercial broadcasts loaded with commercials.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

In the $400 - $1000 price range, it's hard to beat Denon.

Under $350, sure, look at Yamaha, Onkyo or Sony.
Over $1k, there are several other high end brands, but also assuming you wouldn't be asking the question here if you were that into HT/audio and looking to spend over a grand on the receiver alone.

Denon basically owns the mainstream, typical HT audio market. And it's not that Denon is the only option in this range, but you should probably start your search there and be able to answer why you'd look elsewhere. Just my opinion...
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Check out accessories4less.com and see what refurbs they have on offer. In my home theater I have an Onkyo that I purchased there that I’ve been very happy with. It’s very Bogleheadian to buy refurbished since it’s indistinguishable from brand new and saves you quite a bit of coin.

I believe they have Denon as well as Yamaha, but the selection can be spotty depending on when manufacturers supply them with refurbished gear. Happy hunting.
Being wrong compounds forever.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

+1
killjoy2012 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am In the $400 - $1000 price range, it's hard to beat Denon.

Under $350, sure, look at Yamaha, Onkyo or Sony.
Over $1k, there are several other high end brands, but also assuming you wouldn't be asking the question here if you were that into HT/audio and looking to spend over a grand on the receiver alone.

Denon basically owns the mainstream, typical HT audio market. And it's not that Denon is the only option in this range, but you should probably start your search there and be able to answer why you'd look elsewhere. Just my opinion...
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
rixer

Post by rixer »

I've had nothing but problems with 2 Onkyo's I've had. I won't buy another one.
Not sure what I'll replace the last one with.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

rixer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm I've had nothing but problems with 2 Onkyo's I've had. I won't buy another one.
I bought a used Onkyo off Craigslist last year and it sounds fantastic. What about them isn't working out?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

javabean wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:46 pm I recently purchased a new home which has ceiling speakers installed (3 front, 2 back) for surround sound effect in the living room. There are two ceiling speakers each, installed in the patio and the formal dining room. I am told that I need an audio receiver to make the connection between the audio source and the speakers. Obviously you can see that I have never dealt with an audio receiver before. I checked online and these things can cost anywhere from a hundred bucks to a few thousand.
My question to the forum is what features should I be looking for when buying a receiver. Any particular brands you recommend? I am not looking for anything fancy - just something decent enough that would enable me to enjoy surround sound and occasionally play some music in the patio.
Try to match the quality and power of the speakers to the amplifier/receiver. Do you know the models and/or power ratings? No point in overspending on electronics if the speakers are cheap or shot.

I'd step back and verify the components and wiring are worth the effort. What's your audio source? Bare wires or plugs? How is power nearby these speakers or wiring? Will there simultaneous use of the 3 areas? From same or difference sources? Don't overlook abandoning some items and starting over, such as those Roku users who's situation is best addressed with a Roku Smart Soundbar or Streambar. Or routing power to the speakers and using something like this setup. https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Speaker- ... 00RHI7LN2/

Something like this might work in the livingroom. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Bluetooth-R ... 0777B3TYQ/
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Bluetooth-A ... 01A6ND1LU/

Where is central command and are there any local control switches in this audio system? You may not want to run to the livingroom to control the patio or dining room music. Any thought or desire to integrate with Amazon Echo or Google Home or Apple Home? Now's the time to plan ahead.

For those starting from scratch, these types of solutions are interesting options.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Connections ... 01JH3PGZ4/
rixer

Post by rixer »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:51 pm
rixer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm I've had nothing but problems with 2 Onkyo's I've had. I won't buy another one.
I bought a used Onkyo off Craigslist last year and it sounds fantastic. What about them isn't working out?
I can't remember the exact problem with the last one but the one I have now doesn't always switch sources. I can watch cable thrugh the av just fine but when I stream, no sound, even if I manually switch the source. I have to use the tv speakers instead.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I was shopping for a receiver probably around 2014 and was initially drawn towards Onkyo due to far better pricing for the features than other brands, but as I researched, it was apparent they were getting a far higher rate of bad reviews for failed receivers than any of the other mainstream brands.

It appeared to me they had a fairly widespread quality control issue that took long enough to resolve that they were having to really drop their prices to clear out inventory. I don't know how long it persisted, but I wouldn't be surprised if the prior poster got caught up in whatever was going on at that time.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

My preference is Denon. This is an example of what you could use.

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av- ... /avr-s960h

There are a lot of features out there and you can select any model that meets your needs. You are looking for a 5 channel setup in the room with the TV and a second zone for the other speakers. Each speaker needs an amplifier channel, so you need a minimum of 7 channels. I use Apple Airplay 2 a lot, but most current receivers will have it.

Connecting and configuring everything can be complicated. If you have a good local store, they can install it for you. Crutchfield is known for good service and help for a mail order place. Do you know what kind of TV you have? The basic setup involves connected the TV with a single HDMI cable for newer sets with E-ARC. New TVs will have streaming apps built in for things like Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV (the servce), YouTube, etc. Older sets won't have that, but those services can be used with an external streaming box (like Apple TV the device). You may want a Bluray player as well. The other likely device you will have is a cable box. The external devices can be connected to the receiver or directly to the TV. It's not hard, but there are pros and cons for each. A lot of this depends on your TV and other devices.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I purchased a Onkyo TX-NR595 from Costco a few months ago. It would likely fit the bill for you. Unfortunately like many other items during Covid receivers are in short supply and often more expensive than normal. I paid $399 + tax. Costco no longer has any receivers on their website and the price I'm seeing elsewhere online for the Onkyo I purchased is around $599. You may want to do your research now and wait awhile before buying.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Read through the Sound and Vision magazine reviews:

https://www.soundandvision.com/category ... er-reviews

I would consider the Cambridge Audio AXR100 for $500. I have a few of their DVD players and they are excellent and very solid performers are well engineered and built like a rock. Cambridge units dpn't have lots of unnecessary frills but the audio quality and engineering level are way above what the price would make you think. The short review is on the link above along with several others at various price points.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

rixer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 pmI can't remember the exact problem with the last one but the one I have now doesn't always switch sources. I can watch cable thrugh the av just fine but when I stream, no sound, even if I manually switch the source. I have to use the tv speakers instead.
So sometimes it switches and other times you manually switch it? And only video is switched? Which device or remote are you using to switch?
Stream from TV? Or Other what other device? And how is it plugged into the received?
This could be a hookup or setup issue, maybe HDMI ARC.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

inbox788 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:09 am
rixer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 pmI can't remember the exact problem with the last one but the one I have now doesn't always switch sources. I can watch cable thrugh the av just fine but when I stream, no sound, even if I manually switch the source. I have to use the tv speakers instead.
So sometimes it switches and other times you manually switch it? And only video is switched? Which device or remote are you using to switch?
Stream from TV? Or Other what other device? And how is it plugged into the received?
This could be a hookup or setup issue, maybe HDMI ARC.
Agree it is likely not the receiver.

I ran into this when I got a new TV which then led to a new AV receiver. It seemed like there was a battle for control going on between the receiver and the TV for world domination. The issue was ultimately because of the ARC configuration on the TV and receiver. I had a second issue with the receiver not recognizing the subwoofer. Without Google, I am not sure I would have ever figured these things out.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

We had two different ones in a vacation rental we used to own. First just flatlined after about 3 years, it was low end price and the band seemed off on low end. I did not have to listen to it so I let it slide.

I thought maybe a renter did something so I gave a little more expensive version a try. After about two years, it would just shut itself off randomly. Wasted hours on internet forum seeking a solution, reset the firmware, Onkyo would not do anything as warranty had expired. Replaced it with a Denon from Crutchfield on sale and it moved to my house after we sold the rental. No issues. One persons experience and I am sure that some people have had good luck with Onkyo but I would be crazy to buy another unit from them.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

javabean wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:46 pm Hi Bogleheads,
I recently purchased a new home which has ceiling speakers installed (3 front, 2 back) for surround sound effect in the living room. There are two ceiling speakers each, installed in the patio and the formal dining room. I am told that I need an audio receiver to make the connection between the audio source and the speakers. Obviously you can see that I have never dealt with an audio receiver before. I checked online and these things can cost anywhere from a hundred bucks to a few thousand.

JavaBean
What’s your budget?
How geeked out do you want to get?
What is the wiring from those speakers in the dinning room and patio? Do they all go to the same location?
How do you want to control the music in all 3 rooms?

Yes, this could get way more complicated depending on what you want, how you want everything to perform and how much you are willing to pay.

I can tell you that odds are that the ceiling speakers in the media room are very unlikely to be of high quality which means that buying a $2500 receiver is a waste. Likely something in the sub $500 will be more than enough.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

If you aren't an audiphile don't think about it too hard. Pick something in the $400 to $600 range with enough inputs and outputs and you'll be fine.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

barnaclebob wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:39 am If you aren't an audiphile don't think about it too hard. Pick something in the $400 to $600 range with enough inputs and outputs and you'll be fine.
+1

I would also add a relatively simple and decent user interface.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

We have these speakers (from SpeakerCraft):
2 ceiling living room
2 outdoor patio
2 master bedroom
2 office
1 master bath

The electronics are:
Sony STRDH190 2-ch Home Stereo Receiver $150 https://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers/str-dh190
Apple Airport Express (no longer available) Try this instead https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-audio- ... audio+jack
Niles Speaker Selector with Volume Controls for Six Pairs of Speakers - SSVC-6 - $300 https://www.nilesaudio.com/product/spea ... rs-FG01044

The receiver is simple and the splitting and volume control is in the Niles device.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

barnaclebob wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:39 am If you aren't an audiphile don't think about it too hard. Pick something in the $400 to $600 range with enough inputs and outputs and you'll be fine.
For all the temptation to optimize and complicate that many of us get drawn into regarding audio systems, this really is pretty fair advice.

Do note, however, that the desire to power both the living room and the patio speakers means it should support multiple zones. Not all receivers in that price range do.
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

Even more relevant than audiophile or not is the fact - how good can the ceiling speakers be?

s
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

spencer99 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 pm
Even more relevant than audiophile or not is the fact - how good can the ceiling speakers be?

s
I had 5 in-ceiling Klipsch CDT5800 speakers at my last home. I was skeptical but it sounded fine (it had tilted tweeters). I couldn’t tell the sound was coming from the ceiling unless I stood underneath it.

It’s not ideal but WAF factor sometimes requires them.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

WhyNotUs wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:18 am
We had two different ones in a vacation rental we used to own. First just flatlined after about 3 years, it was low end price and the band seemed off on low end. I did not have to listen to it so I let it slide.

I thought maybe a renter did something so I gave a little more expensive version a try. After about two years, it would just shut itself off randomly. Wasted hours on internet forum seeking a solution, reset the firmware, Onkyo would not do anything as warranty had expired. Replaced it with a Denon from Crutchfield on sale and it moved to my house after we sold the rental. No issues. One persons experience and I am sure that some people have had good luck with Onkyo but I would be crazy to buy another unit from them.
Thanks for sharing.

Makes me feel better about my $75 craigslist purchase.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

OP,
As you see from the various responses above, audio and video devices can run the gamut from simple to complex. Many of us have an AV form of OCD that involves constant fiddling with our system. All in search of the best sound within our listening environment and cost parameters. Wife acceptance factor is very important.
My personal bias is to keep it simple and small. Remember, it’s the program material that is the reason for the system in the first place. Some of us get that backwards. Most music and video were created before the digital era, especially music. Your system can allow you to explore new and old programs. The higher fidelity and higher resolution audio and video aren’t necessary to achieve an enjoyable experience. You’ll know you have the disease when you have to have the new shiny device as soon as it comes out.
HVAC
PS: I like Onkyo for longevity.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

hvaclorax wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:58 am OP,
As you see from the various responses above, audio and video devices can run the gamut from simple to complex. Many of us have an AV form of OCD that involves constant fiddling with our system. All in search of the best sound within our listening environment and cost parameters. Wife acceptance factor is very important.
My personal bias is to keep it simple and small. Remember, it’s the program material that is the reason for the system in the first place. Some of us get that backwards. Most music and video were created before the digital era, especially music. Your system can allow you to explore new and old programs. The higher fidelity and higher resolution audio and video aren’t necessary to achieve an enjoyable experience. You’ll know you have the disease when you have to have the new shiny device as soon as it comes out.
HVAC
PS: I like Onkyo for longevity.
Biggest factor in family acceptance for me was getting the Harmony remote that ties the TV/Receiver/Everything else together with a single remote that's easy to use.
orlandoguy

Post by orlandoguy »

As awesome as we Bogleheads are, the folks at www.avsforum.com are incredibly helpful and may lead you toward an ideal solution.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:33 pm I would consider internet connectivity a nice-to-have, rather than must have.
My Sony connects to my router which enables a couple of useful features:
  1. Most important is the ability to download updated firmware over the internet.
  2. Next is the ability to configure the receiver from a browser instead of the (perhaps clunky) on-line settings.
I think 5.1 is a minimum although today it may be hard to find anything decent that is not at least 7.1 -- except for exotic, hi-end equipment.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

bertilak wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 am
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:33 pm I would consider internet connectivity a nice-to-have, rather than must have.
My Sony connects to my router which enables a couple of useful features:
  1. Most important is the ability to download updated firmware over the internet.
  2. Next is the ability to configure the receiver from a browser instead of the (perhaps clunky) on-line settings.
I think 5.1 is a minimum although today it may be hard to find anything decent that is not at least 7.1 -- except for exotic, hi-end equipment.
As I said, nice to have.

Firmware updates are not strictly a feature themselves, but can let a device be upgraded with new features. They also can be a crutch to make it easier for manufacturers to ship products without adequate quality control, and plan to fix problems that come up later.

A better configuration option can certainly be nice, as receiver remotes are often difficult to use. Denon is terrible about this, or at least was when they made my old receiver. Fortunately, the Logitech Harmony remote seems to do a good job of consistently starting it in the desired configuration, so the part of my post about other ways to achieve the same goal also is demonstrated there.
rascott

Post by rascott »

I disagree with a lot of the recommendations above. Our home had this same setup when we moved in.....pre-wired ceiling speakers to 4 different rooms, run to a central location in a built-in cabinet. I had an old Yamaha 5.1 receiver from one of those home theater in a box deals from 20 years ago. Don't recall what I had paid for it, but the receiver I doubt is worth $50. I bought a $25 switch splitter.... ran a single channel to the switch. Then the other 4 lines off of that. Bought a cheapo Bluetooth adapter for input.... it nicely plays Bluetooth audio from my phone into every room in the house. You can turn audio on/ off at the switch box if your rooms don't have individual volume controls (our house did, so I just leave them all on and turn volumr down on the wall knob for rooms I don't want to have on). I don't use the setup for surround sound via tv..... but could do so if I wanted easy enough. A soundbar for the TV is totally adequate for us.

Whole deal was under $100 of equipment. I'm sure you could pick up a reciever like this at Goodwill or Ebay for next to nothing.

Maybe this is underpowered for an audiophile.... but for basic music listening works great for us.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Have been using a Sony 125W STR-DN1070 AV Receiver integrated into a Sony 54in TV and works quite well for us. We use it mostly for Sonos internet music and watching movies. We are using Klipsch speakers and that really brings out some excellent clean crisp audio.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page