Peloton purchase inquiry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PoemMan

Peloton purchase inquiry

Post by PoemMan »

We are close to purchasing a Peloton Bike+, but have seen the significantly negative reviews on the BBB website (~1.3 stars out of 5) about delivery delays well beyond the originally estimated dates, as well as poor customer service (typically associated with delivery issues).

We live in an area that would require use of their 3rd party delivery service who has been an issue for us when delivering other retailer’s products.

Has anyone here experienced similar issues and what action(s) did you take to either avoid them (prior to purchase) or once the issue arose?

Thank you!
PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
William104

Re: Peloton purchase inquiry

Post by William104 »

We just got our Bike+ a few weeks ago. Initial order said 8-10 weeks and it was delivered to us at 8 weeks in early Feb. I’m not sure if things have gotten worse for them since then. I will say, we are very happy with the purchase!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

PoemMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:25 am We are close to purchasing a Peloton Bike+, but have seen the significantly negative reviews on the BBB website (~1.3 stars out of 5) about delivery delays well beyond the originally estimated dates, as well as poor customer service (typically associated with delivery issues).

We live in an area that would require use of their 3rd party delivery service who has been an issue for us when delivering other retailer’s products.

Has anyone here experienced similar issues and what action(s) did you take to either avoid them (prior to purchase) or once the issue arose?

Thank you!
PoemMan
Other than the long wait for shipment, DD had no issues with the delivery at all. I don't think Peloton knew the surge in their product would be so large. With more people being able to get back to their gyms, perhaps the wait will be getting shorter.

So far as the third-party delivery, that could be very localized. You might ask Peloton if there are other options you could use for your delivery.

FWIW, our daughter absolutely loves her Peloton.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Thank you William104 and Broken Man 1999, I appreciate the info.

PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

With the large recent increase in sales, and the fact that exercise equipment normally gets used when new then gathers dust, you should be able to find a lightly used one.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Flannelbeard wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am
gwe67 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 am With the large recent increase in sales, and the fact that exercise equipment normally gets used when new then gathers dust, you should be able to find a lightly used one.
No point. Used Peloton bikes sell for pretty much retail price, or even slightly over in some markets due to impatient people who don't want to wait for the delivery. OP also wants the Bike+ which has only been out for a few months and is the latest model so is in even higher demand.

Buying used you might save $100-200, but then have to deal with trawling listings, interacting with sellers, arranging transport for the bike if you don't have a pickup truck or a van. All to get an item that has already been sweated all over by someone else. Completely not worth it for most people in the "Peloton demographic" IMO.
I did not know that. Just looking at the stock price, the sharp downward trend makes me think that demand must be diminishing. Anyway, the cheapskate that I am, I would just wait it out. Sweat can be cleaned off.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/ ... meframe=1y
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

We placed our order in September. We received it 3 weeks ago. The whole experience was frustrating to say the Least. Where we live, Peloton was using XPO Logistics to do 3rd party delivery. All "schedule your delivery" emails we received along the way said to call XPO, who would tell us they didn't have bikes. XPO would then tell us to call Peloton. Peloton told us it was an XPO problem. Then after much conversation, Peloton would tell us we were "on top" of the list when the next batch of bikes got delivered to XPO (this conversation happened no less than 3 times). Then guess what. We'd call XPO....go back to square one above.

No less than 20 phone calls, transferred to an unknown number of "supervisors" at both parties, and I am sure well over 24 hrs on the phone, over a 5+ month period.

Am I glad we have a Peloton? Yes. Would I go through that again. Honestly, I don't think so.
loghound

Post by loghound »

I got my shortly (about one month) before the Pandemic hit. It took about one week from order to delivery and it's been zero problems since (of pretty much daily use)

I tend to bike a lot and my wife tends to use the Yoga, arms workouts (she walks a lot and plays tennis so the biking portion is less critical for her)

For me, it's been great. The instructors and classes are varied and keep you motivated and I've actually increased my fitness level this last year being able to 'hit the gym' daily.

Regarding Deliveries -- I know Peloton recently dramatically increased their logistics in order to more promptly fill orders so I (think?) it's probably better now
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
FIBoston

Post by FIBoston »

I ordered Bike + on October 1, 2020, with a scheduled delivery date of November 30. On November 27 I got an email saying the delivery was delayed and I should go online to pick a new date. The nearest available date was between December 24 and 27. I was going out of town for the holidays on the evening of December 21 which would have delayed my delivery even further. I called customer service and they found me a date on December 21 in the morning.

The bike was dropped off by a third-party service and took about 10 minutes. They came in (socially distanced and masked) set up the bike, and left me instructions to bring it online.

The delay is frustrating in the moment, but honestly, now that I've had the bike for 3 months I never think about how delayed it was. The product is amazing, and I use it almost every day. No complaints at all. Of course grumpy people will go online to complain about a bad experience, but how often to happy people go online to write a positive review.

Peloton has an NPS of 94, it's almost impossible to find a discounted used bike online, and they're selling so many they are struggling to keep up with demand. The bad reviews online do not reflect the quality of the product or experience.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

I’ve Never Seen Anything Like This’: Chaos Strikes Global Shipping
The pandemic has disrupted international trade, driving up the cost of shipping goods and adding a fresh challenge to the global economic recovery.
Peloton points to port congestion as a factor behind its delays in delivering its high-end stationary bicycles. To shorten wait times, Peloton outlined plans to invest $100 million in air shipping and expedited ocean freight.
But even in normal times, airfreight is roughly eight times the cost of sea shipment. Most airfreight is carried in the cargo holds of passenger jets. With air travel severely constrained, so are available cargo slots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/busi ... pping.html
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

We’re also in an area serviced by a 3rd party - xpo logistics. I’m the opposite of others, I ordered the bike, (non Bike+) in early January. I was told to expect delivery in 10ish weeks and it was instead delivered on 1/13.

Delivery was smooth. According to the delivery guys, Peloton delivers a bulk quantity of bikes and treads to a local warehouse, assembles them, and they deliver them assembled. I apparently lucked out that my order was placed after a large delivery and build,
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I know a co worker of mine has one and had a part break on it making it unusable. It is covered under warranty but they are saying they cannot get the part for several months. Just be aware...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
z91

Post by z91 »

BBB means nothing to me. You will presumably pay with a credit card which protects you.

I've found their warranty actually quite good. I've had two bad tablets (one had the 3.5mm audio barrel break off, then the replacement did not respond to touch) and the eventual third tablet I installed has been working great since. Never paid for shipping and they always sent me the replacement in advance.
Topic Author
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

z91 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm You will presumably pay with a credit card which protects you.
Since you mentioned this, given two payment approaches (0% financing or use of a credit card), which would offer more protection in event of an issue?

Thanks all for the info - the consensus seems that a Peloton bike can be a good exercise investment.
PoemMan
FIBoston

Post by FIBoston »

PoemMan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:53 pm
z91 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm You will presumably pay with a credit card which protects you.
Since you mentioned this, given two payment approaches (0% financing or use of a credit card), which would offer more protection in event of an issue?

Thanks all for the info - the consensus seems that a Peloton bike can be a good exercise investment.
PoemMan
I'd rather a 0% interest loan to put that money in the market as opposed to paying with a credit card if the reason for doing so is to get more protection in the event of an issue. The equipment is very high quality, and the warranty is good. The odds of something going so bad you need to go to your credit card company are very low. Don't overanalyze it.
rob

Post by rob »

TallBoy29er wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:56 am We placed our order in September. We received it 3 weeks ago. The whole experience was frustrating to say the Least. Where we live, Peloton was using XPO Logistics to do 3rd party delivery. All "schedule your delivery" emails we received along the way said to call XPO, who would tell us they didn't have bikes. XPO would then tell us to call Peloton. Peloton told us it was an XPO problem. Then after much conversation, Peloton would tell us we were "on top" of the list when the next batch of bikes got delivered to XPO (this conversation happened no less than 3 times). Then guess what. We'd call XPO....go back to square one above.

No less than 20 phone calls, transferred to an unknown number of "supervisors" at both parties, and I am sure well over 24 hrs on the phone, over a 5+ month period.

Am I glad we have a Peloton? Yes. Would I go through that again. Honestly, I don't think so.
XPO is the WORST delivery "service" on the planet.... I will now buy something else when given the option if I see that XPO are the delivery hacks.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

https://www.samsclub.com/p/echelon-conn ... ance.rr0_1

Sam's Club said Monday that it is now selling the Echelon Fitness Sport-s Connected Bike, an alternative to the bike created by Peloton Interactive Inc. PTON, -3.60% and priced at $799 plus the cost of membership. The bike was created exclusively for Sam's Club, which is part of the Walmart Inc. WMT, -0.96% portfolio. The Sport-s Connected Bike comes with a 10-inch screen, 32 resistance levels and a six-month membership. "Interest in indoor cycling is reaching new heights, but for many people, the reality of owning one still feels financially out of reach," said Lou Lentine, chief executive of Echelon Fitness in a statement. Peloton, which has seen its shares sink more than 32% for the year to date, was upgraded on Monday. Walmart stock is down 10.4% for 2021 so far. And the benchmark Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.97% is up 4.4% for the period.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sams- ... =home-page

FWIW my wife loves her Schwinn ic4 and $13/mo Peloton app subscription. Works best if you have an ipad for the app (android loses some features)
z91

Post by z91 »

PoemMan
Solely looking at purchase protection, use the credit card. Just double check your servicer though, I foolishly used AmEx and forgot they removed those benefits.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

z91 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:25 pm

PoemMan
Solely looking at purchase protection, use the credit card. Just double check your servicer though, I foolishly used AmEx and forgot they removed those benefits.
Not sure why you would need the purchase protection. Peloton is a reputable company. You can cancel anytime prior to delivery and even have up to 30 days after delivery to return the bike. My bike was delayed and Peloton customer service was more than helpful. I was even able to secure a $180 credit plus 3 free months of service as compensation for the delay. I can’t speak for XPO logistics. Our bike was delivered and set up by a peloton crew. As frustrating as the delay was, we were prepared based on our online research and feel adequately compensated.
Topic Author
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Thank you everyone!

PoemMan
techrules

Post by techrules »

The opinions here are mostly positive, I thought I would add one on the other side.
I had ordered my bike+ sometime in January with a delivery timeline of 6 weeks. After the order was created you get a separate link to schedule your delivery, the earliest delivery available was at the end of March, that was much more longer than the 6 weeks that was initially promised. Also, what I did not realize initially is that they charge you immediately and do not wait for until the shipment. It was not something I expected and rubbed me off the wrong way.
I tried checking with customer service asking them to see whether they can meet the 6 weeks timeline that they initially mentioned when I placed my order but was flat out said, sorry no availability. I cancelled my order since they already had 2 strikes (delay from initial time and charging me immediately when they know the product is 6-8 weeks away from shipping), the third strike was, when they cancelled my order, they cancelled my digital membership as well, this was a separate membership that I purchased and was a distinct product from the bike membership. The customer care said, oops sorry, but we cant do anything about that, you are going to have to sign up again. The problem with signing up again was that I was no longer eligible for the remaining days of the free trial. Strike 3.
I purchased an Echelon bike from Costco.
z91

Post by z91 »

9liner wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:46 pm
z91 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:25 pm

PoemMan
Not sure why you would need the purchase protection. Peloton is a reputable company. You can cancel anytime prior to delivery and even have up to 30 days after delivery to return the bike. My bike was delayed and Peloton customer service was more than helpful. I was even able to secure a $180 credit plus 3 free months of service as compensation for the delay. I can’t speak for XPO logistics. Our bike was delivered and set up by a peloton crew. As frustrating as the delay was, we were prepared based on our online research and feel adequately compensated.
Because every reputable company still has manufacturing defects beyond the warranty period.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Personally I plan to wait for an improved version of these things.

I'm hoping that someday someone can come up with a similar experience, but more immersive. For example, you would see the environment on more than a smallish screen, so it could be much more surrounding. Maybe with a breeze and smells to match the environment. I know there's one now that leans during turns, but how about one that does that plus transmits vibrations similar to a real road surface? And maybe instead of the remote instructor, one that would show people you know, or family members, riding along with you, or you could just ride by yourself if you wish.

Alas, I suspect such an activity would be much too complicated and expensive to devise.
Semper Augustus
onourway

Post by onourway »

Teague wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:38 pm Personally I plan to wait for an improved version of these things.

I'm hoping that someday someone can come up with a similar experience, but more immersive. For example, you would see the environment on more than a smallish screen, so it could be much more surrounding. Maybe with a breeze and smells to match the environment. I know there's one now that leans during turns, but how about one that does that plus transmits vibrations similar to a real road surface? And maybe instead of the remote instructor, one that would show people you know, or family members, riding along with you, or you could just ride by yourself if you wish.

Alas, I suspect such an activity would be much too complicated and expensive to devise.
That’s where we are headed with VR, however it’s likely to be a decade or more before it makes its way into consumer products like these in large volumes. Most of us need to exercise a bit between now and then. :D
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Product: Bike+
Ordered: January 4
Scheduled Delivery: March 5
Delivered: March 5
Delivered by: XPO

My advice: order it and whatever delivery date you get is worth it. The bike is excellent exercise and content is engaging.

When I see a post from someone saying that most exercise equipment goes unused, I think “this person has not tried this bike”
DownToThis

Post by DownToThis »

We ordered our bike + in mid December and arrived on the scheduled date early February. I've never been to a spin class and don't particularly like biking but the peloton has been great and used almost every day. On the days I dont bike the other classes have been excellent. Maybe someday it'll go the way of the costco elliptical sitting (unused) next to it but for now it's been a great purchase as it actually gets you motivated to work out.
Teague

Post by Teague »

onourway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:44 pm
Teague wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:38 pm Personally I plan to wait for an improved version of these things.

That’s where we are headed with VR, however it’s likely to be a decade or more before it makes its way into consumer products like these in large volumes. Most of us need to exercise a bit between now and then. :D
OK, I'll have to come up with a substitute while waiting for the VR experience. :D
Semper Augustus
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FYI, there's a (fairly) "new kid on the block" competing with Peloton and similar higher-end exercise bikes... the MYX Fitness Bike.

I'm an avid road bike rider, but my DW wanted an indoor exercise bike. After lots of research, we decided to order a MYX bike, as they are currently on sale for $400 off. Like Peloton, it has a ~22" screen, and requires a monthly subscription ($29/mo) for interactive training, which includes other weight based and stretching exercises (but no live classes). Unlike Peloton, the program is heart rate (vs. competition) based, so less daunting for those just seeking a good workout. The MYX uses manual friction resistance (vs. magnetic), but the reviews say it's quite smooth, and the bike is also well built (manufactured by Star Trac). Unfortunately, MYX also uses XPO Logistics, so there have been lots of delivery complaints, and also reports of iffy customer service.

There's also an interesting financial story behind the MYX brand. It was recently part of a three-way SPAC acquisition, which merged MYX with the Beachbody Company... https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bea ... 00456.html
The new entity appears to have enough cash and marketing clout to compete head on with Peloton. We just ordered ours, so time will tell if it was the right decision.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

We are a +1 for the app only and our own stationary bike. We access the app on our Apple TV and Firesticks, making it accessible on our large screen TVs for every form of exercise and not limited to a bike. Resistance, yoga, treadmill, etc. For $13 a month for a whole family anywhere/anytime is a huge plus for us
crazygrow

Post by crazygrow »

sleepysurf wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 pm FYI, there's a (fairly) "new kid on the block" competing with Peloton and similar higher-end exercise bikes... the MYX Fitness Bike.

I'm an avid road bike rider, but my DW wanted an indoor exercise bike. After lots of research, we decided to order a MYX bike, as they are currently on sale for $400 off. Like Peloton, it has a ~22" screen, and requires a monthly subscription ($29/mo) for interactive training, which includes other weight based and stretching exercises (but no live classes). Unlike Peloton, the program is heart rate (vs. competition) based, so less daunting for those just seeking a good workout. The MYX uses manual friction resistance (vs. magnetic), but the reviews say it's quite smooth, and the bike is also well built (manufactured by Star Trac). Unfortunately, MYX also uses XPO Logistics, so there have been lots of delivery complaints, and also reports of iffy customer service.

There's also an interesting financial story behind the MYX brand. It was recently part of a three-way SPAC acquisition, which merged MYX with the Beachbody Company... https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bea ... 00456.html
The new entity appears to have enough cash and marketing clout to compete head on with Peloton. We just ordered ours, so time will tell if it was the right decision.
This would explain why my favorite former Peloton instructor is joining beach body later this year.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Hah! Now I see why the MYX Bike is currently on sale. Beachbody/MYX just announced the MYX II Bike today... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSA8Esb5XyU

Looks like this has upgraded sensors to include speed, distance, and cadence, vs. only HR. I just emailed them asking if the original MYX Bike can be upgraded, though I doubt it. If there are significant new features available only with the MYX II, I'll probably cancel my order, and get the new model.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Reviewing the "small print" of our MYX Bike purchase, you can cancel the order only within 24 hrs. Otherwise, you have a 30 day window to return, but pay $250 shipping. For anybody interested, here's the response I received from BeachBody/MYX re the new bike.
Thanks for reaching out! There are a number of exciting things coming to MYX and the BODi application is one of those things. Yes, it will be made available to current MYX bike owners when it launches. We do apologize but we are not offering a trade-in option for previous purchases. Our team has been working on some exciting updates and we can’t wait to share them with our members in the coming weeks. Please look out for communications from us in your email.
Best,
The MYX Team
Since my wife is more interested in cardio/stamina training vs. tracking speed and distance, we'll stick with the original MYX Bike, and see what the new app/trainings offer.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

Just had my Bike+ delivered on Monday from XPO. A few issues but not too bad.

Ordered on 7/2 and chose first available delivery date of 7/12. Got several e-mail/text reminders from Peloton of delivery and to call and cancel if someone is sick. E-mail said someone from XPO should call day before to provide a delivery window. That didn't happen. Day of delivery I get an automated call at 1 PM saying delivery is in 30 minutes and to confirm availability. At 2 PM an actual person called and said they were 30 minutes out. They arrived around 2:30 and brought the fully assembled bike to my 2nd floor workout area and gave a quick 5 minute explanation on setup.

So there was a lack of communication from XPO but I work from home so I didn't really care when they came. But I can see the issue if someone was taking time off work for delivery.
Mrsmalltime

Post by Mrsmalltime »

I ordered one and prior to delivery found a used one locally at half price. Chase Sapphire I believe refunds the $40/month fee for a year. I was able to cancel no problem. I feel like I finally did something right Boglehead-wise (Don’t ask me about ARK funds and ethereum) My guess is if you put out to your Facebook circle you are looking one will turn up.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Similar slow delivery with my NordicTrack bike. Ordered on Jan 1st (weak moment, New Year's resolution hype) and NordicTrack would not even give a real deliver estimate. Said something like '2-3 weeks after ship date' but no ship date estimate. Ended up 'shipping' in 2 weeks but taking 10 weeks to actually arrive via third part delivery service. So ordered 1/1/21 and received around 3/21/21 (don't remember exact date).

Love the bike, but the shipping process was very poor.
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

I'm a Peloton guy. I absolutely love it. I'm sure the MYX will be great. If you've already bought it, enjoy it. Feel free to PM me if you want any Peloton recommendations, but if you've bought the MYX just enjoy it and don't look back.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FYI, received our (1st generation) MYX bike today, 3-1/2 weeks after ordering, and I'm impressed thus far. The build quality is excellent, and the friction resistance flywheel runs smoothly. The WiFi connectivity is weaker than other devices in that room, but adequate. Their newly updated OpenFit streaming app ($29/mo) offers a ton of classes (including some live classes now) both on and off the bike. I'm confident that DW and I will take advantage of all the offerings, and not let it become a clothes rack.

BTW, it appears the upgraded MYX II bike is the same as the original, with new sensors for cadence, speed, and distance (to compete with Peloton), and a newer display with built-in camera for optional one-on-one training sessions. We're fine with the heart rate zone based training, and have no need for additional bells and whistles, but MYX is offering a discounted cadence sensor add-on for those who want it.

XPO Logistics was OK, but their delivery/setup guys were rushing, and mistakenly left me two boxes of power supplies/cords. After discovering that, I called XPO, but their crew hasn't come back to pick it up. I'm afraid their final bike delivery of the day may not go well!

Will be interesting to see how Peloton and MYX/BeachBody battle it out in the home fitness market!