Recommendation for wifi enabled Internet radio?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goshenBogle

Recommendation for wifi enabled Internet radio?

Post by goshenBogle »

There are thousands of radio stations on the Internet. I want to purchase a Wifi enabled Internet radio that uses AC power (not battery). Would use it in our kitchen. Our Internet service is via Cox cable & the cable modem has 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi service.
Any recommendations?
Retired and loving it!!!!
bob60014

Re: Recommendation for wifi enabled Internet radio?

Post by bob60014 »

Alexa or Google Home
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Don’t know if it was Google Assistant, or Siri but a few weeks ago we were watching TV and my wife’s phone said, “huh,not good” and then shut up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

I have an Onkyo receiver that gets internet radio that also has the usual AM/FM, aux inputs for CD player, turntable. It's about 15 years old so there are probably much better options out there. I refuse to knowingly let someone or something else listen to my conversations, so no Alexa for me.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

EdNorton wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:46 am I have an Onkyo receiver that gets internet radio that also has the usual AM/FM, aux inputs for CD player, turntable. It's about 15 years old so there are probably much better options out there. I refuse to knowingly let someone or something else listen to my conversations, so no Alexa for me.
:sharebeer
My life is too boring, they can listen all they want.

Enjoy, suckers!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

goshenBogle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:19 am There are thousands of radio stations on the Internet. I want to purchase a Wifi enabled Internet radio that uses AC power (not battery). Would use it in our kitchen. Our Internet service is via Cox cable & the cable modem has 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi service.
Any recommendations?
Amazon Echo.
Radio is only one of the uses for the one we have in our kitchen. We have an Echo Show.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
30west

Post by 30west »

I have been using my Grace Mondo daily for 10 years and love it. It works like a kitchen radio should. On/off switch, volume knob. You can even set up pandora "stations" as a preset, so with the press of a button you can connect to whatever you want. Amazon has a nice selection.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

goshenBogle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:19 am There are thousands of radio stations on the Internet. I want to purchase a Wifi enabled Internet radio that uses AC power (not battery). Would use it in our kitchen. Our Internet service is via Cox cable & the cable modem has 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi service.
Any recommendations?
Any internet-enabled device + the website “radio.garden” works great. Amazing what one can pick up worldwide.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Consider ccrane.com although I see that they are out of stock at the moment. I have had one of their discontinued models for a number of years and it has served me well.
Add an FM transmitter and you will be able to pick up the signal on any FM radio
Bob
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Amazon Echo. If you don't like the idea of always active microphones just turn off the mic with the press of a button when you aren't using it
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

Any recommendations?
Assume you have cell phone.....get Tunein Radio App free. Purchase Bluetooth Speaker and leave plugged into charging cable. My wife listens to Canadian radio stations every morning. Via Tunein Radio, you can get any station that streams.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Another vote for Amazon Echo. The hands free concept is perfect for the kitchen. When you are elbow deep in chicken guts or dough you can stop, pause, skip, change volume, change station, etc. by voice. Also good for general kitchen knowledge - if you want to know how many tablespoons in a cup, just say "Alexa, how many tablespoons in a cup" and it will answer. You can also set multiple timers by voice.

Tune in and I Heart Radio are built in, so you get 1000s of over the air stations from all over the world. I like to listen to the Bob and Tom show in the morning but it is not on the air in my city, so I just stream it from their home station in Indianapolis. You can also find podcasts and such. If you subscribe to Prime you also get Amazon music which will have a rather large library. If you want classic rock, just say "Alexa play classic rock" and it will find an appropriate playlist, commercial free.

The Echo Dot has really good sound for such a small and inexpensive device and should be fine in a kitchen. The third generation is $40 which is what I use. The latest runs $50 but from what I have read does not sound or work much differently. Google's equivalent is probably good also, but I have never used it.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I'll echo the recommendation for Amazon Echo. I have one in every room. They can be used individually. Also, I have four of them identified into a single group so I can request a station followed by the name of the group and they all play together and in sync. I use this feature often as I wander about my home with seamless audio.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We too use the Amazon Echo. You can even buy holders for them that plugs into the outlet (in our case underneath the cabinets) and holds the echo so it is out of sight and doesn't take up counter space.