Smart thermostat

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Swimmer

Smart thermostat

Post by Swimmer »

We’re considering having a thermostat that can be accessed by internet in a home.

Any comments on the reliability/costs associated with these?

Thanks so much!
runner3081

Re: Smart thermostat

Post by runner3081 »

There are a number of threads on these, take a quick search for a wealth of info.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Was hoping a ‘cycling' poster would quickly weigh in so we’d have a triathlon....so close.

We inherited a Nest (generation escapes me) and have really grown to like it. We don’t use the learn features, but being able to adjust from anywhere has been nice. And programming is a bit easier than scrolling through a bunch of fields.

I suspect if we needed a new one we would pay the price and move on.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Swimmer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:40 pm We’re considering having a thermostat that can be accessed by internet in a home.
Why? What is your motivation? What are you hoping to gain?
Any comments on the reliability/costs associated with these?
When we purchased a second home for weekends/vacations, I installed a Nest thermostat. That way, I could check the house temperature remotely, and could make sure it was up to temp when we arrived.

It was simple to install, didn't cost too much, and has been thoroughly reliable for the past 9 years.

We moved from our primary residence to live in this house full-time and no longer have much need for an internet-connected thermostat. I suppose when we travel a bit it's still handy, but I won't purchase another.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Post by 123 »

They are dependent on internet connections to their server where your settings are stored. They can become a brick if the manufacturer ceases to maintain the necessary server. The ones I looked at said that while there was presently no periodic charge for access to the server that was not always guaranteed.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Our recently installed heat pump came with a smart thermostat, and I had them install one for our older heat pump.

My wife loves it as now she can sweat me out or freeze me out even when she isn't at home.

The smart thermostats have my HVAC guy's info programmed so they can send faults to him.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

Check with your local utility company. Ours had an energy efficiency program...they came out and installed a Nest thermostat and it was free! If the power does go out, the Nest will simply continue on its default program...and can be reset at the thermostat. The remote feature is mostly nice for when we're away from the house.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

123 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:11 pm They are dependent on internet connections to their server where your settings are stored. They can become a brick if the manufacturer ceases to maintain the necessary server. The ones I looked at said that while there was presently no periodic charge for access to the server that was not always guaranteed.
I’ve had a Honeywell smart thermostat for many years. Their servers can and do go down sporadically. During those times, one has to be physically at the thermostat to make any changes.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I’ve got a nest.... the ability to turn up the heat when I’m still in bed is great. Same if I’m coming home, I can turn up the heat when I’m on my way. It’s also nice to check your temp at home when your on vacation. Let’s me know the house is still there.
30west

Post by 30west »

I had a Honeywell smart thermostat and had to get rid of it because i couldnt regulate how often my furnace and AC cycled on and off. I replaced it with an eccobee which i love. Far easier to program and easier to customize. I highly recommend it. Wherever you get, make sure it has all the features you want. Some wifi thermostats have few other features.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Ecobee3 has a feature to send a message if HVAC is not performing as expected. This was helpful during 3 month absence and furnace stopped running. I was able to have a neighbor let the technician in to perform the repair during freezing temperatures.

I like the Alexa connection to change temperature via voice command.

The WiFi capability allows me to change temp setting after my flight lands so the house is comfortable when I arrive home. I am often absent for weeks at a time.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

I've installed ecobee at our current house and the last. It helped a lot having room sensors, as the second floor would always be hotter - the ecobee (downstairs) can be set to only take bedroom temperature into account at night, for instance.

Back before covid mandated telework, being able to adjust or leave heat off longer if we were staying out during the evening may have saved some pennies too.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Another option is to integrate thermostats into a home automation system. I have HomeSeer running on a Raspberry Pi4B and works well. You can add lighting, security, energy management, cameras, etc. for total home control.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

Silverado wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:06 pm Was hoping a ‘cycling' poster would quickly weigh in so we’d have a triathlon....so close.

We inherited a Nest (generation escapes me) and have really grown to like it. We don’t use the learn features, but being able to adjust from anywhere has been nice. And programming is a bit easier than scrolling through a bunch of fields.

I suspect if we needed a new one we would pay the price and move on.
This! We inherited the 2nd gen Nests in our house and they are fantastic. We don't use the learning function either but that is a long story as to why and boring. Anyway, they pay for themselves in energy savings so it is a no brainer.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I have 2 zones. I installed an Ecobee 3 Lite on 1. My systems didn't have the dreaded C wire. Ecobee includes an adapter to fix that but I was only able to access the electrical panel on 1 of the zones.

I like it, I installed it as a novelty. It turns on heat, or ac as needed.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I have a Honeywell ProVision "smart" thermostat and would not recommend it.

First, the date and time are not stored in non-volatile memory and it has no battery back-up, so if the power goes out that information is lost. The programming is retained, however, and when power is restored this thermostat chooses a random point in the programming cycle and heats/cools to that setting. Very bizarre. And then of course, you have to re-enter the time and date.

Second, the thermostat nags me weekly to create an account at the Resideo website. Sorry, I'm not opening a door to a soulless corporation so they can know my comings and goings.