Becoming a Plumber

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
austin757

Becoming a Plumber

Post by austin757 »

Hi all,

I’ve been considering making a career change to become a professional, master plumber. Do we have any plumbers (or other tradesman) who can suggest the pros/cons, and any tips on getting started?

One decision to make would be learning through the union or open-shop. I’d appreciate any advice from our members who are in the trades.

Thank you!
Teague

Re: Becoming a Plumber

Post by Teague »

Not in the trades now but was for about 15 years before changing to a white collar job. The trades get physically harder as you get older, a main reason I switched. Even when young expect to finish the day somewhat to very sore and physically worn out, maybe with a few more cuts/bruises and cracks on your hands, depending on the trade. I was actually fine with all that for the most part but as I aged it became clear I wouldn't be able to keep going past maybe my mid forties.

Of course, if you can transition to a successful trade business owner that's one way to do things. Or you could become some sort of entrepreneur at the outset and skip the intermediate steps. Good luck.
Semper Augustus
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Not in the trades, but this article about labor shortages in the trades and the salaries caught my attention.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/despi ... ting-worse
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

I should add my goal is to have my own company. I enjoy this type of work and love being hands on, but I would like to have my own shop.
Teague

Post by Teague »

austin757 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:20 pm I should add my goal is to have my own company. I enjoy this type of work and love being hands on, but I would like to have my own shop.
Not to belabor the issue, but know that tradesman type work when you feel like doing it is completely different than having to wake up at 05:30 5-7 days per week, to work in every kind of weather, in 120 degree attics and outdoors in the rain and mud, and in the most dark and cramped spaces imaginable. Most jobs you do won't use the skills of a master plumber, but rather will be bread-and-butter run of the mill boring things you've done a thousand times before. Occasionally a job will be interesting and a mental challenge, but most won't.

A quick look at your posting history suggests you're an airline pilot, I believe. Your colleagues in the trades will span a much greater intellectual range than your current coworkers, by my experience. I encountered a few Good Will Hunting genuinely talented geniuses and a number of fellow tradesmen I wouldn't trust to carry a sack of potatoes down a flight of stairs, in fact I'd say the sack of spuds could be the brains of that duo.
Semper Augustus
squirm

Post by squirm »

Teague wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:28 pm
austin757 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:20 pm I should add my goal is to have my own company. I enjoy this type of work and love being hands on, but I would like to have my own shop.
Not to belabor the issue, but know that tradesman type work when you feel like doing it is completely different than having to wake up at 05:30 5-7 days per week, to work in every kind of weather, in 120 degree attics and outdoors in the rain and mud, and in the most dark and cramped spaces imaginable.
Bingo!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

squirm wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 pm
Not to belabor the issue, but know that tradesman type work when you feel like doing it is completely different than having to wake up at 05:30 5-7 days per week, to work in every kind of weather, in 120 degree attics and outdoors in the rain and mud, and in the most dark and cramped spaces imaginable.
Bingo!
Hence their ability to charge high prices - and get them. Not during normal working hours? Costs extra. Weekends or holidays? Even more. If a person needs them, they will pay whatever the asking price is. I was white collar most of my working life and it worked out very well for me. If I had to do it again though I'd look very seriously at the trades, particularly the electrical/plumbing route. Doesn't mean you're in the field until you retire (although some are), you could get your certification/licenses and then be a two or more person operation where you don't have to do the heavy lifting. Or become a city/county/state inspector. There are lots of options for a skilled trades person, and apparently they just aren't making that many of them anymore. Talk about supply and demand...
squirm

Post by squirm »

Yooper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:04 pm
squirm wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 pm
Bingo!
Hence their ability to charge high prices - and get them. Not during normal working hours? Costs extra. Weekends or holidays? Even more. If a person needs them, they will pay whatever the asking price is. I was white collar most of my working life and it worked out very well for me. If I had to do it again though I'd look very seriously at the trades, particularly the electrical/plumbing route. Doesn't mean you're in the field until you retire (although some are), you could get your certification/licenses and then be a two or more person operation where you don't have to do the heavy lifting. Or become a city/county/state inspector. There are lots of options for a skilled trades person, and apparently they just aren't making that many of them anymore. Talk about supply and demand...
You never know how your body will be by the time you turn 50. Thankfully I'm in a office/cubical, my body is too banged up to be doing that line of work day after day. I did that in my twenties and learned a valuable lesson which was it wasn't something I wanted to do as a career.

I enjoy working with the different crafts we have at work and have much respect for them, but if your body can keep it up with the riggors, great if not then you'll have to figure out what else to do.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Teague wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:28 pm Your colleagues in the trades will span a much greater intellectual range than your current coworkers, by my experience. I encountered a few Good Will Hunting genuinely talented geniuses and a number of fellow tradesmen I wouldn't trust to carry a sack of potatoes down a flight of stairs, in fact I'd say the sack of spuds could be the brains of that duo.
I'd echo this. I worked as a carpenter and plumber during the summers when I was in college and I'd say one of the most disagreeable aspects of the job is the caliber of people you have to work with. I can barely tolerate some of them when I have to hire work done on my current home. I blame it partly on the education system in our country.
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

Teague wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:06 pm Not in the trades now but was for about 15 years before changing to a white collar job. The trades get physically harder as you get older, a main reason I switched. Even when young expect to finish the day somewhat to very sore and physically worn out, maybe with a few more cuts/bruises and cracks on your hands, depending on the trade. I was actually fine with all that for the most part but as I aged it became clear I wouldn't be able to keep going past maybe my mid forties.
Desk work can be tough on the body too, just in different ways. Repetitive strain injuries and back problems are very common, for example; especially in the field of software engineering where high “productivity” is required
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

Post by 123 »

Teague wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:28 pm ... Most jobs you do won't use the skills of a master plumber, but rather will be bread-and-butter run of the mill boring things you've done a thousand times before. Occasionally a job will be interesting and a mental challenge, but most won't...
Just like working for Megacorp most of the time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Teague wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:06 pm Not in the trades now but was for about 15 years before changing to a white collar job. The trades get physically harder as you get older, a main reason I switched. Even when young expect to finish the day somewhat to very sore and physically worn out, maybe with a few more cuts/bruises and cracks on your hands, depending on the trade. I was actually fine with all that for the most part but as I aged it became clear I wouldn't be able to keep going past maybe my mid forties.
It is possible in some trades. For example, I knew a guy who became a carpenter after retiring from a desk job in his 50's. He only did interior trim work on new houses. To me, a mind-deadening job, but he really enjoyed it and it was not hard on his body (except for the finger he cut off). He worked with his son, so presumably had help with any heavy lifting.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Not to belabor the issue, but know that tradesman type work when you feel like doing it is completely different than having to wake up at 05:30 5-7 days per week, to work in every kind of weather, in 120 degree attics and outdoors in the rain and mud, and in the most dark and cramped spaces imaginable. Most jobs you do won't use the skills of a master plumber, but rather will be bread-and-butter run of the mill boring things you've done a thousand times before. Occasionally a job will be interesting and a mental challenge, but most won't.

A quick look at your posting history suggests you're an airline pilot, I believe. Your colleagues in the trades will span a much greater intellectual range than your current coworkers, by my experience. I encountered a few Good Will Hunting genuinely talented geniuses and a number of fellow tradesmen I wouldn't trust to carry a sack of potatoes down a flight of stairs, in fact I'd say the sack of spuds could be the brains of that duo.
Yes, an airline pilot. I’ve been thinking of a way to still fly while also become a plumber. Say, I can work as an apprentice while cutting back on my schedule at my primary job. It seems this would be difficult, however.

I’ve just been looking for a challenge in life and I thought this would be good for me. Thank you for your input.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

One of my paramedic colleagues is a part-time paramedic and full-time pilot. You could give EMS a shot if you're just looking for a little variety.
Zubs

Post by Zubs »

I worked as an apprentice level plumber for 1 year at a small plumbing company that did residential and commercial jobs. I also happened to have a neighbor who worked for a local plumbing Union. For lots of different reasons, I quit plumbing when I got the chance and moved into a different job at a public utility.

Typically, you can either try and get into the industry by getting hired on as an apprentice either through a company, a Union shop, or a public utility.

Depending on where you live there also might be trade schools or community colleges with some sort of program.

Easiest to hardest to get hired on is probably a private company, Union, and then public utility. Most Unions have a waiting list.

You can expect to work at the apprentice level for about 2 to 4 years. Then typically you would take a State contractor licensing exam or maybe a plumbing contractor exam depending on your State. You could then be considered Journey level.

You can expect to be a Journey level plumber for 6 to 10 years after your apprenticeship. "Master" level plumbing depends on your work experience and the variety of jobs and problems that you have dealt with. You may also have to take another exam. Most plumbers who I met at that level had at least 12 years in the industry. Depending on where you work you won't even see these titles used.

Plumbers who own their business usually have at least 10 years of experience.

I'll list some pros/cons in the next post.

You can PM me for more detailed answers.
Last edited by Zubs on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zubs

Post by Zubs »

Pros and cons of plumbing

Pros:
-You can get the satisfactionof building or fixing something
-Can own a business
-Always in demand

Cons:
-Spend 1/3 of your time driving from job to job
-Typically paid per job, so speed and volume are the name of the game
-Working conditions include crawl spaces, roofs, underneath small sinks
-Coworkers include customers, spiders, and anything that lives in a crawl space
-Work weekends, on call, and evenings
-No consistent schedule or workload...you might do 3 jobs or 10 jobs in a day
-Physically brutal...lifting toilets, lifting drain snakes, working in cramped conditions
-Pay.....SF Bay Area...apprentice level $40 to 50k per year, Journey level $60 to 100k, own the business maybe $100k+...Working or on call 50 to 60 hours per week for those wages

It's a profession that favors the young. If you are 18 to 30 go for it. 30+ and it's going to be tough. Most plumbers end up having serious back problems.

I would look into HVAC or electrical.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I have several friends who went to trade high school in the trades. I expect plumbing to be similar. They worked in carpentry and electrical wiring. Apprentice level for them was the federal minimum wage for 1-2 years. To level set to today, that's $7.25 an hour. All of my friends left the trades, going into entry level manufacturing, receiving a huge raise (50-100%) or landscaping, where eventually, a business was formed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

baconavocado wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:20 pm
Teague wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:28 pm Your colleagues in the trades will span a much greater intellectual range than your current coworkers, by my experience. I encountered a few Good Will Hunting genuinely talented geniuses and a number of fellow tradesmen I wouldn't trust to carry a sack of potatoes down a flight of stairs, in fact I'd say the sack of spuds could be the brains of that duo.
I'd echo this. I worked as a carpenter and plumber during the summers when I was in college and I'd say one of the most disagreeable aspects of the job is the caliber of people you have to work with. I can barely tolerate some of them when I have to hire work done on my current home. I blame it partly on the education system in our country.
I'm generally an introverted person who is very quiet in most situations. I'm more the type to come in do the job and leave without wasting time. Would it be hard for an introvert like me to get a long with other tradespeople for the reason you mentioned?
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I had the distinction of being the world's worst plumber when I worked for a nationally known soft water company for a handful of months. Now I do small repairs on my home plumbing but hire a professional for anything more serious than a pvc repair. My hatred of plumbing work now correlates directly with my ability to do it.

The one thing you can be sure of however is that there will always be a need for plumbers. Like all trades, most plumbers are introduced into it by a family member who opened that door for them, or by a referral from a friend. Starting out cold with the intention of becoming a master plumber and opening your own business eventually may be an overly ambitious goal. I would consider what Zubs has written seriously, especially the negatives.

By the time I was 25 I was looking for a more stable job, and had been working full time for a decade. I was given the opportunity to begin work for megacorp but I had two main phobias that I had to conquer; the fear of heights and the fear of spiders. I had already had my share of spider heebie jeebies during my short stint as a plumber, but now I was forced to not only crawl under houses and in attics, but to climb poles to dizzying heights for extended periods of time, doing work in the pounding rain that sometimes required stretching half your body length to the side while perched on tiny spikes. Somehow I managed because I had a tremendous amount of responsibility for others to consider. As a slight bit of encouragement, those fears can be overcome with persistence.

I had a very good friend who owned his own plumbing business and he did very well financially, but he also developed a bad back from all the lifting. Another thing to consider are the union dues, and the restrictions on working as a plumber after you leave the profession because you used to be a union member. Carpenters are painfully aware of that one.

https://nswplumbersunion.com.au/member- ... ship-rates

If you are not particularly a people person becoming a plumber will not help with that, as demanding customers who don't understand what you do and want to quibble about the cost may leave you frustrated and bitter.

As for having to rub elbows with undesirables, I've worked in blue collar and white collar jobs and have found that there is no dearth of ignorance in either one. Knuckle dragging is an equal opportunity affliction. You are allowed to pick your friends and those you associate with regardless of your profession. You can ignore the rest.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I've got a BIL who is in the trades and does work similar to a plumber. His pay is great - I think he brought in $180k last year without a college degree. But, he is in his mid 40's and is starting to look really tired, so the physical toll is real.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

austin757 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:36 am Hi all,

I’ve been considering making a career change to become a professional, master plumber. Do we have any plumbers (or other tradesman) who can suggest the pros/cons, and any tips on getting started?

One decision to make would be learning through the union or open-shop. I’d appreciate any advice from our members who are in the trades.

Thank you!
Paths to becoming a certified "state contractor licensed" plumber.
(does not include "handyman", "home repair service person", "do everything tradesman know everything person with a pickup truck and a dog")

1. Completion of a plumbing, electrical, etc, program at a vocational school. Ideally, one that is "union" sponsored or linked where there is an apprenticeship OTJ on the job concurrent training or leads into that. Sometimes, the total time is at least 5 years but varies.
*** go from here to #3 can be a good path.

2. Hired from the ground up by a large (better if larger) private plumbing contracting company (union companies have established paths). So, start as a plumber's helper, then move up. Eventually, the company will or might (but does not have to) sponsor for licensing, certification, etc. This is tricky as sometimes workers can stay in one position forever and never move up. It depends on the person, ambition, company, etc.

3. **** (good path) Hired from the ground up by state, fed, city and county, plumbing division or services division. IE: Department of Public Works, Federal Shipyard or fed linked (This can be very well paying, large pensions, long apprencticsehip, and hard to get in unless you know someone who knows someone. . . . )

4. State contractor trades licensing qualification varies. In heavily unionised states, for example, but not always, the certifications and job experiences have to track from ground up and include foreman, job superintendent, etc, depending on the state and trade. All verifiable. But, in other states, all you need to become various contractor licensed trades is a pickup truck with a lumber rack and a dog, fill out some forms and prove that you once helped your uncle put up a tree house in 1950, etc. If the goal is to eventually own a profitable plumbing company of your own, then do everything legit and get the highest licensing you can get and all that. You will be competing for better projects and your peer group will be at a higher level.

Some tips on the above:
a) you can get a job with a plumbing company or working with a plumber, or small outfit, and go nowhere as far as eventually going out on your own and state licensed and certified and then get "stuck" with huge experience but no certifications and then have to work as a handyman on your own or unlicensed plumber/tradesperson.
b) You can get into a fed/gov't linked or gov't position and realize it's better than going out on your own (often is).
c) A very legitimate and well trained (union paths or large company paths can be excellent) tradesman with an eventual contractor's license, and owning your own company and be very ambitious and disciplined and passionate about it and the people you work with and for, and end up doing very very well.
c2) or . . you can follow the above paths and "fall through the cracks", lose direction, or go from junk company to junk company, and end up not doing very well at all and stuck.
d) While you are doing the above, make use of the rest of your 80/hrs/week going to school part time to earn a business degree and/or accounting degree if the goal is self employment. There is a huge difference in attitude and so forth between an employee and an employer/businessman. Decide on that.
e)There are pathways to wealth and financial security through higher education, trades work, and other paths, with none better than another.
Read: "Millionare Next Door".
f) A successful business person can do well at a variety of paths from owning 7 muffler shops to 8 pizza fast food franchises to running a profitable plumbing company. But, OTOH, an excellent tradesman does not automatically guarantee a successful business when going out on one's own.
g) As stated earlier by others, you can use a trades person/contractor as a pathway to financial success if it is a steppingstone. So, for example: degree in business/finance, general contractor, invest in Real Estate or open a property management company while running as a general contractor so there is a diversification of assets and income stream, then eventually transition out of physically demanding trades work, etc. There's a lot of paths. You have to find what works for "you".

Dislaimer:
**Lot's of different opinions and attitudes and life experiences on these things. Everyone is different.

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ironman

Post by ironman »

I would start the journey by researching the required licensing for running a plumbing business in your state of residence.

Apprenticeship programs are ran by both union and non-union entities. The union programs are better funded and are generally considered superior across the trades. Be cautious of programs that do not result in a meaningful certification or license. For instance, the for-profit colleges that train you to become a plumber in 6 months give you a certificate at the end that may as well be printed on toilet paper. The apprenticeship through the UA, which is the union pipe fitters and plumbers program, results in a journeyman card that is accepted from coast to coast. There are many additional certificates you can earn along the way, such as welding and instrumentation.

Realize going in that you will not be respected by some professionals. Tradesmen commonly earn more than the engineers that design the projects. However, if you're at a dinner party and say you're a process engineer your likely to receive more respect than if you say I'm a plumber.

Making six figures in the trades with no student debt is not uncommon.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

ironman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:51 am I would start the journey by researching the required licensing for running a plumbing business in your state of residence.

Apprenticeship programs are ran by both union and non-union entities. The union programs are better funded and are generally considered superior across the trades. Be cautious of programs that do not result in a meaningful certification or license. For instance, the for-profit colleges that train you to become a plumber in 6 months give you a certificate at the end that may as well be printed on toilet paper. The apprenticeship through the UA, which is the union pipe fitters and plumbers program, results in a journeyman card that is accepted from coast to coast. There are many additional certificates you can earn along the way, such as welding and instrumentation.

Realize going in that you will not be respected by some professionals. Tradesmen commonly earn more than the engineers that design the projects. However, if you're at a dinner party and say you're a process engineer your likely to receive more respect than if you say I'm a plumber.

+1
Great point!
Yes. "Be a certified mechanic (realtor, plumber, hair stylist, financial wealth consultant, dog groomer) in 60 days" is a lucrative business. . . for the schools.

piper

Post by piper »

I have been a plumber for 24 years and its been a rewarding career. The days are long and can be stressful but I suppose that comes with any job. The path that I took and many others around me was to just jump into the field. Going to school for plumbing is a waste of time in my opinion. Be careful of the unions, they will hold you back from making the real money. There are many employee owned plumbing shops around, get into one of these and become an owner then you will see the profit margins. I see people in the unions and they have to work till their in their 60's to get a pension that probably wont be there or be the size that was promised. I know many millionaires that are in the trades and they are not union.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

For the most part, I’m still enjoying my current career. I am almost certain I can make more money if I went to the trades and had my own company. At this point, it would be hard to leave my current career. I’m still researching if there’s a way I can make both work somehow. Thank you for the advice so far.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

austin757 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 am For the most part, I’m still enjoying my current career. I am almost certain I can make more money if I went to the trades and had my own company. At this point, it would be hard to leave my current career. I’m still researching if there’s a way I can make both work somehow. Thank you for the advice so far.
IMHO: there might be a low level of profitability in the trades doing the work "part time", but substantial results come from substantial effort.
(if it were easy and didn't take much time, then everyone would be getting rich in alternative concurrent paths. . . some do. . many don't).

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Steve Lav has a great YouTube channel on being a professional plumber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIVEeo8XRw0

Most are howto videos, but there are business related and training videos in there.
ram

Post by ram »

When anybody asks me about a career change suggestion, I suggest a health care related job. Almost always there is a well paying job waiting at the end of the training in almost any part of the country.
As a pilot you already have the "safety first" mindset. I do not know anything about plumbing proper but I do see a lot of patients in jobs that require heavy physical work retiring at 62yrs simply because their body can not take it anymore.
Despite what we talk ad nauseam on this board I think taking social security at 62 is the right thing for them.
Ram
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Check out this guy, he loves his job!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=55G8p2N35PU
I personally could not find his level of satisfaction with this type of work.

If you are an introvert and want to start a plumbing business managing people may be less pleasant than the above video. I am a small business owner myself, employee approximately 9 people, and also an introvert. I would prefer to work in IT and sit behind a computer all day, but every job has its ups and downs, and the grass is often not really greener on the other side of the fence!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:25 am
austin757 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 am For the most part, I’m still enjoying my current career. I am almost certain I can make more money if I went to the trades and had my own company. At this point, it would be hard to leave my current career. I’m still researching if there’s a way I can make both work somehow. Thank you for the advice so far.
IMHO: there might be a low level of profitability in the trades doing the work "part time", but substantial results come from substantial effort.
(if it were easy and didn't take much time, then everyone would be getting rich in alternative concurrent paths. . . some do. . many don't).

Sandtrap,

That's one of my favorites. I think to really make it "big" in just about any career, it will take a lot of determination and effort. It doesn't see like I'd be able to hold both careers at the same time, unless one was to be part-time work. Thanks for your input.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

piper wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:10 am I have been a plumber for 24 years and its been a rewarding career. The days are long and can be stressful but I suppose that comes with any job. The path that I took and many others around me was to just jump into the field. Going to school for plumbing is a waste of time in my opinion. Be careful of the unions, they will hold you back from making the real money. There are many employee owned plumbing shops around, get into one of these and become an owner then you will see the profit margins. I see people in the unions and they have to work till their in their 60's to get a pension that probably wont be there or be the size that was promised. I know many millionaires that are in the trades and they are not union.
Piper,

Is it common for people starting out in employee-owned plumbing shops to work their way up to partner in the company? I could see myself learning the trade each and every day, working as hard as I can, and eventually "buy in" to an owner role. I deal with the Union plenty in my industry. I see first-hand how collective bargaining can prevent us from making the big bucks. Thanks for your input and I appreciate any advice!
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

austin757 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:05 am I'm generally an introverted person who is very quiet in most situations. I'm more the type to come in do the job and leave without wasting time. Would it be hard for an introvert like me to get a long with other tradespeople for the reason you mentioned?
Maybe you'll mainly have to worry about getting along with homeowners and business owners. If you can get along with a wide variety of personality types I don't think you'll have a problem. Good communication skills are critical (which is another problem for some tradespeople who might not speak English as their primary language).

For me, I worked with a team of about 5-10 other tradespeople (all English speakers) and there were some really wacky personalities on that team to say the least. Personality-disordered would be an accurate description.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:32 pm
austin757 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:05 am I'm generally an introverted person who is very quiet in most situations. I'm more the type to come in do the job and leave without wasting time. Would it be hard for an introvert like me to get a long with other tradespeople for the reason you mentioned?
Maybe you'll mainly have to worry about getting along with homeowners and business owners. If you can get along with a wide variety of personality types I don't think you'll have a problem. Good communication skills are critical (which is another problem for some tradespeople who might not speak English as their primary language).

For me, I worked with a team of about 5-10 other tradespeople (all English speakers) and there were some really wacky personalities on that team to say the least. Personality-disordered would be an accurate description.
Ok, great. Sounds about the same amount of interaction I do at my current job.
$=WxTxI

Post by $=WxTxI »

Thank you!
I would rethink being a plumber and choose a different trade.

Electrician, HVAC, or instrumentation technician would be the trades I would suggest.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

$=WxTxI wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank you!

Electrician, HVAC, or instrumentation technician would be the trades I would suggest.
Why do you not suggest plumbing? Is it because it's the dirtiest? Does it take longer to become licensed?
$=WxTxI

Post by $=WxTxI »

austin757 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm
$=WxTxI wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank you!

Why do you not suggest plumbing? Is it because it's the dirtiest? Does it take longer to become licensed?
1. Dirtiest
2. Least mentally stimulating
3. Most labor intensive for least amount of $
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just for brainstorming.

I needed to have some stumps ground and around here that is pretty expensive. I did not know that they existed but the guy that came out had a special machine that was on tracks that looked somewhat like a miniature bulldozer the size of a refrigerator with a stump grinding wheel on the front of it. Something like this;

https://www.forestrytrader.com/listing/ ... p-grinders

It was controlled and steered by joystick controllers so when he was operating the machine it sort of looked like he was playing a video game. I am sure that it would be physically demanding at times but that it might be easier to do when you are older.

The nice thing about that is that there is likely not a lot of training or licensing required to set up a company to do stump grinding. The needed truck, trailer, and equipment would not be cheap but it should have a pretty good resale value if doing that does not work out.

It has been a while but as I recall when he was grinding a stump something like a hose broke and he had to come back the next day with a part to fix it and finish the job. As I recall it sounded like the machines are a bit finicky and tend to require maintenance so doing that might work best for someone who is mechanically inclined and would be able to do a lot of their own maintenance.

The guy that did mine apparently just had a one person company.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I'm a retired union plumber from the Bay Area. I worked the construction side for my whole career. If you're ready to work hard and be responsible, give your local union a call. They'll tell you when the next apprentice test takes place. If you are already working for an open shop give them a call too.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

ironman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:51 am I would start the journey by researching the required licensing for running a plumbing business in your state of residence.

Thank you. I've been looking into the licensing requirements. I am in NJ. It seems the Union is quite popular and there's probably a wait list. I'm thinking of asking our neighbor (commercial plumber) if I can ride along with him to shadow his operation.

Do you think age 26 is too old to make this change?
ironman

Post by ironman »

The average apprentice is 26 years old at our IBEW-NECA electrical apprenticeship. I have had former CPA's, an attorney, wildlife biologists, masters educated teachers, and high school dropouts as students. It may be surprising to many people the number of college grads who transition to the trades in their mid to late 20's for a variety of reasons (boredom, better pay/benefits, etc.). We have a well funded defined benefit plan which is hard to find outside of union/gov work.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

ClevrChico wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:37 am Steve Lav has a great YouTube channel on being a professional plumber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIVEeo8XRw0

Most are howto videos, but there are business related and training videos in there.
Great suggestion. I've been watching some of his videos.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I'm not in the trades but had an addition done to my house a couple years ago and due to some broken ribs healing, spent quite a bit of time talking with both the electrician and plumber. The plumber was simply working a business started by his father. The electrician had been an electrical engineer at one point and gave that up to be an electrician which surprised me. I asked him why and he said he got to set his own hours more or less and spending time with his family was a priority. He also liked being his own boss and working without someone looking over his shoulder. He said the money wasn't great the first couple years but after his business became recognized, he has more work than he can do and actually makes more money now than he did as an electrical engineer.
Cam894

Post by Cam894 »

What the forum is getting at is this. You need a corner office job at a megacorp where you can spend your days bossing around the interns and getting payed way to much money.

Hopefully automation doesn't do away with a lot of those jobs.....

I'd also like to add that tradesmen usually progress in their careers as they age. You may become a foreman or project manager. Something less physically intensive.

Some open up their own business and do very well.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Perhaps you could combine your aviation training with your interest in the trades to:

A. be an airplane mechanic
B. be a test pilot
C. design or help build airplanes or components [eg work at Boeing, suppliers, smaller outfits]
D. start a company that handles plumbing/electrical issues in hard to access “off the grid” locations

Probably other ideas worth brainstorming, where the value of your pilot training has carry-over value.
Icamp

Post by Icamp »

26 is not too old but here it takes 8+ years to become a master plumber. It is not a part time endeavor. It takes 4 years of working full time to get the necessary hours to be eligible to take a Journeymans exam. After you're a journeyman for a few years you're eligible to take your master plumbers exam. The only shortcut is if you happen to have an engineering degree. I own a plumbing company and have for 20 years. You will want the hands on experience in order to be a successful owner. Plan on at least 10 years from getting an apprenticeship to having a business.

I started a business just before turning 30 and will be retiring next year. It's been a good and lucrative career but people are crazy and I'm ready for a change.
Hanuman

Post by Hanuman »

You are a licensed commercial aircraft pilot, and you want to go into the plumbing field? Reminds me of a comedy skit with Rodney Dangerfield; it was a play on "Flashdance." Rodney was a gifted dancer, but he dreamed of being a welder...
I was a steamfitter, I started on plastic condensate lines where I learned to factor in pipe length for fittings and offsets, worked my way past Victaulic and into welded pipe, then moved onto welded stainless pipe at the nuke plant. I was earning a ton of money, and as a side bonus earned a security clearance. That made me golden. I occasionally did some electrical work, liked it, and moved into commercial electrical (think MC Dean). Both of these trades are high paying, but you will wear out a lot of gloves, and be exposed to many dangerous situations where you can get get crushed, burned, or killed or your buddy can crush, burn or kill you. If aviation is not your dream life, and you are considering trades, I'll suggest you research BOMI. The Building Owners and Managers International organization will provide training and networking in the field of commercial and industrial property management. You will usually work at one location, with a nice office. You'll have to understand ALL the technology in the building and work with your team to manage a safe, comfortable and efficient environment for your tenants. That will be your technology fix, and all the plumbers, electricians, roofers, elevator/escalator tech, HVAC etc people will work for you. Side story; when I was working as a steamfitter I was dating a nice gal and as things got serious her parents threw me out of the house and told me never to return because "our little girl is not going to marry some filthy plumber." This was back in the 1980's and I was earning over $100K, much more than her proud poppa could ever earn. Oh, and along the way attended ERAU distance learning earning a BS degree, and I achieved my Commercial / ASMEL Instrument rating. Mooney M-20K. GOOD LUCK.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Icamp wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm 26 is not too old but here it takes 8+ years to become a master plumber. It is not a part time endeavor. It takes 4 years of working full time to get the necessary hours to be eligible to take a Journeymans exam. After you're a journeyman for a few years you're eligible to take your master plumbers exam. The only shortcut is if you happen to have an engineering degree. I own a plumbing company and have for 20 years. You will want the hands on experience in order to be a successful owner. Plan on at least 10 years from getting an apprenticeship to having a business.

I started a business just before turning 30 and will be retiring next year. It's been a good and lucrative career but people are crazy and I'm ready for a change.
My neighbor is a commercial plumber and I've been thinking of asking him if I can tag along and get a feel for it. It seems that if I work for him for necessary hours, I can then become a licensed journeyman. Perhaps by that time, he may be interested in retiring and selling the business. I talked to another tradesperson and they told me small business succession is hard, so this could be my "in". Do you think this is a viable path? Thank you for your input.
Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 »

ironman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 am The average apprentice is 26 years old at our IBEW-NECA electrical apprenticeship. I have had former CPA's, an attorney, wildlife biologists, masters educated teachers, and high school dropouts as students. It may be surprising to many people the number of college grads who transition to the trades in their mid to late 20's for a variety of reasons (boredom, better pay/benefits, etc.). We have a well funded defined benefit plan which is hard to find outside of union/gov work.
Thanks, ironman. I could find myself in the career-changer group for the reasons you mentioned.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Look for a 50 year old plumbing business owner that does not have an up and coming assistant to take over the business and sign on with him to learn the business and eventually buy him out. You will need to do the apprentice/journeyman years to qualify for a license and this is the best way to get it done. The industry is dying for young blood that wants to take on the responsibility of owning the small businesses.

If you want own a business go open shop.

Disclosure: This is what my son is doing and he couldn't be happier. That bachelor's degree in Finance with minors in Psychology and Chinese are really helpful :shock:
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I also have a friend who was in the dental lab business that switched to plumbing in his 40s and is really enjoying it, but he is finding it late to get through the hoops to be licensed, so his long-term upside is limited, but it is a profession that won't get outsourced overseas like his previous career.