Problem With Trip Booked Thru AmEx Travel - UPDATE & Resolution

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Problem With Trip Booked Thru AmEx Travel - UPDATE & Resolution

Post by LifeIsGood »

Last year we booked airline tickets through AmEx Travel Services. They took some Membership Rewards points, converted them to cash and then purchased a couple of tickets. The flights segments were on TAP Air Portugal and Virgin Atlantic. Of course the airlines cancelled the flights due to Covid and we've been pursuing a refund from AmEx Travel for the past year. After hours on the phone and many email exchanges all we've gotten is promises but it's starting to look like we're out $2,000.
Does anyone have any knowledge regarding whether or not this is a lost cause? Needless to say I'm bitterly disappointed with AmEx's handling of the situation.
Last edited by LifeIsGood on Fri May 14, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Re: Problem With Trip Booked Thru AmEx Travel

Post by Jags4186 »

I’d give a shot at pursuing the refund with the airline. Since it was a cash ticket they should have refunded the card on file.

Otherwise AMEX has a binding arbitration clause in their T&C you could look into. I’d also make it painful for them, file CFPB complaint, write your attorney general, write to their CEO.

$2000/200,000 points is enough for me to put some real effort.

Of course, stop using American Express, but don’t close anything until the issue is resolved one way or another.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

A year ago everything travel related was in turmoil and AMEX is likely not to blame. I suspect the airlines ( and AMEX) had fare rules in place at the time that were highly restrictive. It was some time later that cancelations, no fee changes or flight credit became the "norm" as everyone adjusted to the Covid related travel environment.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Please clarify being out $2k. Airlines would have offered credit at a minimum if they declined refunds.
Progapanda

Post by Progapanda »

I recommend you also pursue a US DOT complaint, particularly in light of their Enforcement Notice governing Covid-19 refunds by air carriers from April 2020 (https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 02020.pdf)). DOT clearly states that passengers are not required to voluntarily accept flight credit in lieu of a cash refund if their flights to/from the U.S. were cancelled.

Since last year, I've had a lot more success with pursuing refunds directly from the airlines, which unfortunately is more complicated with a travel agent (like American Express/Expedia) in between. You used Membership Rewards points for the purchase, which is a different situation, but I will recommend BH members book directly with airlines going forward.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Progapanda wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:16 am I recommend you also pursue a US DOT complaint, particularly in light of their Enforcement Notice governing Covid-19 refunds by air carriers from April 2020 (https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 02020.pdf)). DOT clearly states that passengers are not required to voluntarily accept flight credit in lieu of a cash refund if their flights to/from the U.S. were cancelled.

Since last year, I've had a lot more success with pursuing refunds directly from the airlines, which unfortunately is more complicated with a travel agent (like American Express/Expedia) in between. You used Membership Rewards points for the purchase, which is a different situation, but I will recommend BH members book directly with airlines going forward.
When you use Membership Rewards through AMEX travel you still pay for the ticket with a charge on your credit card. AMEX then will deduct points from your account and issue a statement credit. So it shouldn’t be any different dealing with the airline via AMEX travel when using or not using points.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Re: Problem With Trip Booked Thru AmEx Travel - UPDATE & Resolution

Post by LifeIsGood »

After many promises never kept by AmEx I decided to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. That was about 6 wks ago. Yesterday I received an email from AmEx saying that the cost of the 2 airline tickets has been credited to my account. No other explanations, etc. I don't know if this was a direct result of the BBB complaint or not but have to assume it was.
Now I'll have to call and get that credit card statement credit converted to a check but all's well that ends well. I'm just appalled at how much customer has gone down hill with AmEx in the past year or so.
beyou

Re: Problem With Trip Booked Thru AmEx Travel - UPDATE & Resolution

Post by beyou »

A good example of why I would not use a travel agency run by my cc, nor want travel points vs cash back. Conflict of interest to use cc as a vendor. I want the cc issuer on my side when disputing a transaction that the vendor will not make good. In this case vendor and cc are one and the same.

I know it’s not fraud, and cc is mainly helpful for fraud, but it’s another avenue.

Also buying direct from airlines, you can eliminate the middle man, simplifying such requests. Not sure how Amex travel made life easier for you.