Do I need new tires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tideout

Do I need new tires?

Post by Tideout »

A few days ago I went for a 50,000 mile service, on my 2016 Toyota Corolla le. The service guy at the dealership said 50,000 miles, is time for new tires. I had been thinking of waiting to 60,000. Tire depth is 4/32. Should I wait? Or dump my coffee and rush to get tires?
Normchad

Re: Do I need new tires?

Post by Normchad »

Tread depth is only one measure. The age of the tire, and an uneven wear is also important.

If they are not unevenly worn (I.e. down to the cords in some place), and are no t crazy old, you are probably okay.

Personally though, I love new tires. And if I’m going to keep the car a while, I might just buy them now.
Last edited by Normchad on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

New Michelin tires from Costco.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

At 4/32nds tread depth, it it generally recommended that tires be replaced.

I would replace them at your earliest convenience.

Good performing tires are one of the most basic safety features of a vehicle. I would not try to get every last mile out of your tires at the expense of safety.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Tideout wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:59 am A few days ago I went for a 50,000 mile service, on my 2016 Toyota Corolla le. The service guy at the dealership said 50,000 miles, is time for new tires. I had been thinking of waiting to 60,000. Tire depth is 4/32. Should I wait? Or dump my coffee and rush to get tires?
Rule #1 about purchasing new tires: Never, ever purchase them from a car dealer. Go to a local tire shop instead.

Take a look at your tires. Are they unevenly worn? If so, time for new tires.

Are they evenly worn down to the wear indicator? If yes, time for new tires.

Alternatively, put a penny upside-down in the tread, and look at it directly, not from a higher angle. Can you see the top of Lincoln's head? If yes, time for new tires.

Enjoy your coffee!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
LongRoad

Post by LongRoad »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 am New Michelin tires from Costco.
Had to chuckle at this because it’s what I did on my 2016 Corolla. At 20000 miles. Because the stock Goodyears were easily the worst tires I’d ever driven in Winter conditions, in a state that has four seasons.

You’re probably OK for the moment but I wouldn’t fixate on a mileage target, but rather the condition and performance of your tires.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

bubbadog wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 am At 4/32nds tread depth, it it generally recommended that tires be replaced.

Good performing tires are one of the most basic safety features of a vehicle. I would not try to get every last mile out of your tires at the expense of safety.
+1. When in doubt, safety first!
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I recently had new Michelins put on my car at Costco. Best experience ever. Could barely eat my hot dog in the amount of time it took them.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

4/32nds is getting close to having to change them.
Generally at 3/32nds is when you should change them, More or less than that based on your risk tolerance.

So, at your stage start shopping around and don't get pressured into buying ASAP.
You easily can go 5k more miles. And don't dump your coffee for sure!
Big sales typically happen around holidays, and keep your eyes out for rebates for tire brand you prefer.
Monk53

Post by Monk53 »

I agree with 4/32nds tread depth along with age and condition of tires. The penny is not an adequate test based on data I've read. The new test is using a quarter.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Monk53 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 am I agree with 4/32nds tread depth along with age and condition of tires. The penny is not an adequate test based on data I've read. The new test is using a quarter.
I guess it all depends on the distance from the rim of the coin to the deceased president's head, and the condition of the coin.

(I suspect that the coin's mint-mark is irrelevant!)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

If you ever drive above 30 mph when it's raining, I would buy new tires now.

I'm surprised that yours have lasted as long as they have. You must drive conservatively and live where it is flat and straight.
Taylor Larimore

Tire Rot?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I see no mention of "tire rot"? The dealer wants to replace my son's tires because of "tire rot." The tread is fine but the tires are old. He lives in Florida. What do you think?

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Learn from the experience of others. It's cheaper."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

4/32 - time to start looking
3/32 - you better replace those tires
2/32 - dump your coffee and rush to buy tires
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

+1
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Depends on where you live.
Dry? I go as long as possible. Rain/snow - how much do you have to drive in weather?
How long will you keep the vehicle? If you get more utility out of having the new tires now vs later (b/c you might sell it at 75k miles for example) - sooner purchase makes sense.

Finally... if you have an Americas Tire / Discount Tire nearby, use them - their coupon/rebate/CC offer will beat Costco with a wider selection. They'll even price-match Costco and allow you to still get the CC and Manu. rebates.
Normchad

Re: Tire Rot?

Post by Normchad »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 am Bogleheads:

I see no mention of "tire rot"? The dealer wants to replace my son's tires because of "tire rot." The tread is fine but the tires are old. He lives in Florida. What do you think?

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Learn from the experience of others. It's cheaper."
It is commonly recommended now to replace tires after six years, *from the date of manufacture*. There is a code on the sidewall that will tell you the manufacture date.

The reasoning is that “tire rot” is real, and is a safety concern. And yes, it might mean that some people only get 10,000 miles out if a set of tires before they are recommended to replace them. As far as I know though, my state safety inspection does not check for this in our annual inspection.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

4/32 of tread is fine on dry pavement, not so good on wet or icy pavement. If you live in the desert, you may get another 6 months out of them. I never go lower than 4/32 before replacing tires. I handled total loss auto claims for an insurance company and owned a body shop for years. I saw many one car accident total losses and tires appeared to be the culprit on over 1/2 of those- along with the alcohol......
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have similar situation. When I had car in to change oil etc, they said "soon." Since I drive only a couple of miles 3-4 days a week at pretty low speed and rarely in bad weather I decided to push it through the winter. Now that I will likely be driving more in the spring will probably go ahead and get it done. Highway speeds and a little off the road calls for good tire.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

bubbadog wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 am At 4/32nds tread depth, it it generally recommended that tires be replaced.

I agree. I directly pay for all different types of insurance. This is indirect insurance. You're paying for the right to have that extra traction just in case you're forced to the limit.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

+1!
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

I would never advise that you dump your coffee. :D
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I think everybody should have waited for the OP to come back and specify what kind of driving, in what environment (driving and storage), and whether the car is going to be sold soon.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Getting tires from my dealership this Saturday for my 2017 Accord. 38k miles.

Buy 3 get 1. They make up for it by requiring an alignment. Same price as CJs Tires if anyone is familiar with them.

First time in a while not going to CJs. Just seemed like something was off about our vehicles after going there.

No Costco nearby and haven’t heard good things about BJs Wholesale club for tires.

Thinking I may need to get tires on my 2014 Pilot soon due to age (originals).

2/32 fails in Pennsylvania state inspection
Mid-40’s
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

samsoes wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:08 am
Tideout wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:59 am A few days ago I went for a 50,000 mile service, on my 2016 Toyota Corolla le. The service guy at the dealership said 50,000 miles, is time for new tires. I had been thinking of waiting to 60,000. Tire depth is 4/32. Should I wait? Or dump my coffee and rush to get tires?
Rule #1: Never, ever purchase them from a car dealer. Go to a local tire shop instead.

Alternatively, put a penny upside-down in the tread, and look at it directly, not from a higher angle. Can you see the top of Lincoln's head? If yes, time for new tires.

Enjoy your coffee!
Regarding Rule #1 (never purchase tires from a car dealer)- - it's something I have up-to-now always followed but am considering revising. I'd be interested on your take.

About 4 months ago I purchased a set of tires at Costco. I arranged for an alignment at my car dealership (which has service rebates that make the cost of doing business with them much lower than expected), and my service adviser asked to compete on price. He was willing to order from Tire Rack. Costco's price was lower on a special and he could not meet it, so I bought and installed and balanced at Costco, and then drove over local streets to the dealership and got my alignment.

Later, driving on highway for 1st time, it felt like at least one of the new tires was out of round. I called Costco, and arranged for them to do a look-see. Meanwhile the manager at Costco raised the possibility that the alignment was bad or that some damage to suspension of car was causing the problem. I had a rebalancing done at Costco. The manager said the tech said there was only the most minor of adjustments.

Fortunately, the rebalance has seemed to fix the problem. The car is just barely noticeably not quite perfect at full highway speeds, but not really noticeable any more. If it hadn't, I'm wondering what level of hell it would have been to try to sort things out.

Here's the thing. If you are getting an alignment after new tire install (our Costco does not do this) and afterwards there is an issue, you potentially have the tire manufacturer, Costco, the auto manufacturer, and the alignment provider all pointing the finger at one other. On the other hand, if your dealer's prices are reasonable and if the dealer is getting fresh tires of the make and model you want, balancing and aligning, then it seems to me that having a single point of contact has lots of value, and it comes down to if the price and time and risk benefits up with any increased cost. I'd be interested to hear other opinions in case I'm missing anything.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I would guess that it would cost somewhere around $400 to replace them at some place like Costco. If they last five years then that is $80 per year. If you get another year out of them then that is in effect betting $80 vs all the things that can go wrong marginal tires. That is not a bet I would take.

Being able to replace them when it is convenient to you is also handy and you have can make sure you get a good price and quality tire.

The original tires that come with cars are usually not that great anyway.

I also have a Corolla and I have owned other small cars. One thing that would be good to do is to research which tires will have less road noise. They are not all created equal and the Costco tire that is on sale this month may be on the noisy side even though they are otherwise good tires.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Beehave wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:30 am Regarding Rule #1 (never purchase tires from a car dealer)- - it's something I have up-to-now always followed but am considering revising. I'd be interested on your take.
It's like when you're taking a multiple choice test: whenever "never" or "always" is involved in a response, it's rarely correct.

I'm not sure your tire situation is "fixed", though. I would guess that alignment is rarely involved in the behavior you describe. It would usually be a balance issue, or some inconsistency in the construction of the tires. The inconsistency aspect can get worse with time (I had one set that definitely did, although I'm not sure if it was just one tire or more than one.) Many tire stores will replace tires within a short period if you're just not happy with them, so you might consider that.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Watty wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:43 am I also have a Corolla and I have owned other small cars. One thing that would be good to do is to research which tires will have less road noise. They are not all created equal and the Costco tire that is on sale this month may be on the noisy side even though they are otherwise good tires.
Is there some resource that objectively measures road noise? That would be helpful. I realize that in theory relative noise could be different on different vehicles but determining that would require a vast amount of testing. I'm thinking of just having tires rolling in a controlled environment where the noise can be compared.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Normchad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 am

It is commonly recommended now to replace tires after six years, *from the date of manufacture*. There is a code on the sidewall that will tell you the manufacture date.

The reasoning is that “tire rot” is real, and is a safety concern. And yes, it might mean that some people only get 10,000 miles out if a set of tires before they are recommended to replace them. As far as I know though, my state safety inspection does not check for this in our annual inspection.
Not disagreeing but just noting there's some range of recommendations. Michelin says their tires should be 'thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional' after 5 years, but recommends replacing them at a maximum of 10 yrs (from manufacture) 'even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.'
https://www.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html

The Michelins on our older car (2005 Lexus GX470) were made in 2014, rubber condition appears excellent besides lots of tread at ~34k miles (70k warranty): I'll probably get rid of the car in next couple of years without replacing them, if there's no sign of deterioration. The original set of tires were replaced at ~60k/9 yrs without being close to minimum tread. Rubber condition will also depend on general climate and how much direct sun the car gets where it's parked assuming that's where it spends most of it time.
Last edited by JackoC on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

You know, I've gotten to place where I don't fret these kinds of choices any more. The tires will have to be replaced at some point and depending on how long you keep the car, it probably doesn't matter. If you sell the car at 100k miles, for example, this would the only tire change you'd likely make, negating any advantage to you for waiting an extra 10k miles. Same if you keep it to 150k...you replace at 50k and then again at say, 115k. That's not all that differently from holding out until 60k and then replacing again at 130 or 140k. You still have to replace tires twice, it's just the person who you sell the car to that gets to take advantage of those extra unused miles.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

weirdsong1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm You know, I've gotten to place where I don't fret these kinds of choices any more. The tires will have to be replaced at some point and depending on how long you keep the car, it probably doesn't matter. If you sell the car at 100k miles, for example, this would the only tire change you'd likely make, negating any advantage to you for waiting an extra 10k miles. Same if you keep it to 150k...you replace at 50k and then again at say, 115k. That's not all that differently from holding out until 60k and then replacing again at 130 or 140k. You still have to replace tires twice, it's just the person who you sell the car to that gets to take advantage of those extra unused miles.
This is really my thinking as well. So I don’t mind maybe replacing a bit early, it won’t affect the number of sets of tires I end up buying.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Normchad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 am It is commonly recommended now to replace tires after six years, *from the date of manufacture*. There is a code on the sidewall that will tell you the manufacture date.
Most automakers recommend replacing tires after 6 years.

The tire manufacturers say that their product will last 10 years, but they won't back it up with a warranty.
Many automakers, including Ford, Nissan and Mercedes-Benz, tell owners to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... tires.html
midareff

Post by midareff »

or new Michelin tires from the Tire Rack. It's almost March and it's 4/32nds..... I'd replace before the start of your rainy season. AFAIC, the #1 safety feature of any car is your tires ability to stop, corner and maintain traction in all conditions.... that includes rain and cold weather. Do not cheap this out.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Normchad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 am It is commonly recommended now to replace tires after six years, *from the date of manufacture*. There is a code on the sidewall that will tell you the manufacture date.

The reasoning is that “tire rot” is real, and is a safety concern. And yes, it might mean that some people only get 10,000 miles out if a set of tires before they are recommended to replace them.
I have been thinking about this in the context of the full size spare on my 2008 RAV4. I will soon put on a fresh set of tires -- will be the third set including the originals. BUT, the full size spare on the back is the original spare tire. My tendency is to just let it go if it appears still generally OK since it would only be used for a short time until a tire was repaired or replaced.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jucor

Post by jucor »

Best wishes.
Taylor
If the tires are older than 4 years or so, then look at the tires and if you see a number of small cracks then dry rot is an issue. tires that are dry rotted will have less strong sidewalls and may be more prone to blowouts. Lots of sun exposure can accelerate the aging process in tires (much as it can in humans!)

As tires are a key safety factor in controlling a vehicle i'd replace them if there was any doubt.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:09 pm
Watty wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:43 am I also have a Corolla and I have owned other small cars. One thing that would be good to do is to research which tires will have less road noise. They are not all created equal and the Costco tire that is on sale this month may be on the noisy side even though they are otherwise good tires.
Is there some resource that objectively measures road noise? That would be helpful. I realize that in theory relative noise could be different on different vehicles but determining that would require a vast amount of testing. I'm thinking of just having tires rolling in a controlled environment where the noise can be compared.
Tirerack has some good comparisons reviews on road noise where you can look up various tires on their site.
I have seen a large difference in tire noise with different tires on the same vehicle in the same driving conditions and these reviews were pretty accurate.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I also bought Michelins at Costco. Great tires.

a few pointers:

at 5-6 years old the tires are no longer safe.

Make sure the tires you buy are no more than 6 months old. Here is a link that shows how to determine when the tire was made:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=11

I don't want tires from any 3rd world country (many tires are now made in China). The country where the tire was made is on the side of the tire.

Make sure they are the proper size, speed rating and load rating (info is usually in the owner's manual or on the placard on the door post)

Buy brand name tires (like Michelin, Goodyear, ...), not off name tires (usually from China)

when you buy new tires take a good tire off the car and replace the spare. (you want a spare that is less than 6 years old.)

I write down the requirements for my new tires and give a printed copy to the store so there is no confusion.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

smitcat wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:43 pm Tirerack has some good comparisons reviews on road noise where you can look up various tires on their site.
I have seen a large difference in tire noise with different tires on the same vehicle in the same driving conditions and these reviews were pretty accurate.
I question the value of their "consumer ratings" for comparative purposes. How can a typical consumer do A-B tests of tires on their vehicle?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor, I would have your son replace his tires. Old tires, even with good tread should be replaced. If I could hazard a guess, tire life would be about seven years. Tires, as far as I know don't rot, but everything degrades over time. The tires probably are more brittle and less flexible over time. One's life literally rides on automobile tires, this is not an area to economize.

Edit: I was right. Below from car and driver magazine:
There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left. How do you know how old your tires are? There’s a code on the sidewall that you can read about here.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1533 ... out%20here.
Last edited by nedsaid on Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Chip

Post by Chip »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:39 pm I have been thinking about this in the context of the full size spare on my 2008 RAV4. I will soon put on a fresh set of tires -- will be the third set including the originals. BUT, the full size spare on the back is the original spare tire. My tendency is to just let it go if it appears still generally OK since it would only be used for a short time until a tire was repaired or replaced.
What I've done in this situation in the past is paid a little extra to dismount the spare and replace it with the best of the 4 tires being taken off. It will still have some tread and won't be nearly as old.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

On TireRack, you can look at the "tire rack tested" meter for each tire - lots of choices for Corolla. When I owned one, I had Pirelli P4 put on and liked them. They were decent in snow too if needed.

Noticed that some question the consumer ratings - read a few of them, there are a lot of people who will be very detailed in their analysis!

Tire Rack also does comparisons on their track - depending on type - like Touring, Grand Touring etc.
Can use Consumer Reports too as an additional or primary source.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

weirdsong1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm You know, I've gotten to place where I don't fret these kinds of choices any more. The tires will have to be replaced at some point and depending on how long you keep the car, it probably doesn't matter. If you sell the car at 100k miles, for example, this would the only tire change you'd likely make, negating any advantage to you for waiting an extra 10k miles. Same if you keep it to 150k...you replace at 50k and then again at say, 115k. That's not all that differently from holding out until 60k and then replacing again at 130 or 140k. You still have to replace tires twice, it's just the person who you sell the car to that gets to take advantage of those extra unused miles.
This is also exactly how I look at the decision ^. Unless you can sell the car with the last mile of tire used it might matter. If you live to tell the tale. And besides, new shoes on the machine are always a joy!

Also, I never go past 4 years either. Change out tires on the garage queens with 80% tread left but it's worth it.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:12 pm
smitcat wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:43 pm Tirerack has some good comparisons reviews on road noise where you can look up various tires on their site.
I question the value of their "consumer ratings" for comparative purposes. How can a typical consumer do A-B tests of tires on their vehicle?
I have found their noise ratings to be very accurate on the tires I bought when I have swapped tires on the same vehicle with the same conditions.
I measure noise with a Radio Shack sound meter set on fast response.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

You can also buy online from tirerack and tirebuyer (some cash back affiliates will give you % back). They ship to a local auto repair shop for installation.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Beehave wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:30 am
Rule #1: Never, ever purchase them from a car dealer. Go to a local tire shop instead.

Enjoy your coffee!
Regarding Rule #1 (never purchase tires from a car dealer)- - it's something I have up-to-now always followed but am considering revising. I'd be interested on your take.

About 4 months ago I purchased a set of tires at Costco. I arranged for an alignment at my car dealership (which has service rebates that make the cost of doing business with them much lower than expected), and my service adviser asked to compete on price. He was willing to order from Tire Rack. Costco's price was lower on a special and he could not meet it, so I bought and installed and balanced at Costco, and then drove over local streets to the dealership and got my alignment.

Later, driving on highway for 1st time, it felt like at least one of the new tires was out of round. I called Costco, and arranged for them to do a look-see. Meanwhile the manager at Costco raised the possibility that the alignment was bad or that some damage to suspension of car was causing the problem. I had a rebalancing done at Costco. The manager said the tech said there was only the most minor of adjustments.

Fortunately, the rebalance has seemed to fix the problem. The car is just barely noticeably not quite perfect at full highway speeds, but not really noticeable any more. If it hadn't, I'm wondering what level of hell it would have been to try to sort things out.

Here's the thing. If you are getting an alignment after new tire install (our Costco does not do this) and afterwards there is an issue, you potentially have the tire manufacturer, Costco, the auto manufacturer, and the alignment provider all pointing the finger at one other. On the other hand, if your dealer's prices are reasonable and if the dealer is getting fresh tires of the make and model you want, balancing and aligning, then it seems to me that having a single point of contact has lots of value, and it comes down to if the price and time and risk benefits up with any increased cost. I'd be interested to hear other opinions in case I'm missing anything.

I'd still avoid the dealer, they ding you for everything, like just getting a rotation can be over $100, purchasing at Costco or Discount Tire it's free as long as you own the tires. 1-2 rotations per year, it adds up. Or an alignment at my Lexus dealer I want to say was around $200, a good shop that specializes in alignments did mine recently for $60.

If you have weird vibrations at highway speeds after a new set of tires, it's almost always something like a tire that wasn't balanced correctly. Weights falling off are pretty common. I've also had a tire with an internal belt problem that was defective. It's just sometimes finding a knowledgable tire shop can be hard.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nedsaid wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor, I would have your son replace his tires. Old tires, even with good tread should be replaced. If I could hazard a guess, tire life would be about seven years. Tires, as far as I know don't rot, but everything degrades over time. The tires probably are more brittle and less flexible over time. One's life literally rides on automobile tires, this is not an area to economize.

Edit: I was right. Below from car and driver magazine:
There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left. How do you know how old your tires are? There’s a code on the sidewall that you can read about here.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1533 ... out%20here.
It depends a lot on the conditions the tires are subjected to. Tires may last over a decade on a "garage queen" that seldom sees ultraviolet rays or extreme temperatures. My motorcycle tires lived 13 years and even then tread wear was the dominating factor! Tires that spend many hours a day with direct sun/wind exposure will dry rot more quickly.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

niagara_guy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:08 pm
I don't want tires from any 3rd world country (many tires are now made in China).

when you buy new tires take a good tire off the car and replace the spare. (you want a spare that is less than 6 years old.)
Back in the 70s, when I was a Niagara guy, China was a 3rd world country. It's now considered a 2nd world country.

I agree with using a recently replaced tire as a spare, although many cars no longer have full size spare tires. Some have no spare tire.

6 years is generally considered approaching the life limit of a tire in service. A spare that spends all of it's life in the trunk has much reduced UV and ozone exposure, and is therefore generally considered to have a 10 year service life by those who sell tires. Some mechanics say a dedicated spare can remain in service for 15+ years.

A tire with hybrid usage, i.e. one that' first lives on the axle and then is moved into the truck as a spare, falls somewhere in between.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Boglegrappler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 am If you ever drive above 30 mph when it's raining, I would buy new tires now.
Agreed, unless you live in the southwest where it rarely rains, then you could take them down awhile more. (assuming that the rubber is still good and not cracking.)
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

There are these little bumps (thread wear indicators) in the threads that you can feel if you run your fingers down the thread. If they are flush with the tire, you need new tires.

This is the best pic I could find:

https://simpletire.com/learn/tire-news- ... e-wear-bar

This is what I use to make a decision about changing out my tires. I'm in hot AZ, so my tires wear down faster here as well as my battery. I regularly test my battery and check the wear on my tires.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Rule #1 about purchasing new tires: Never, ever purchase them from a car dealer. Go to a local tire shop instead.
I bought my last set from Discount Tire as Costco didn't carry the tires I wanted. And Discount Tire had to order them. Took about 6 weeks for them to come in.

My vehicle is AWD, which adds the extra pain that if one of the tire gets a flat, and I replace that flat. I now need to have the thread on the new tire cut down to the match the other tires. Otherwise, I'll screw up the AWD. This is something I had overlooked when I bought an AWD vehicle.