Power tool storage in non-conditioned, detached garage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Power tool storage in non-conditioned, detached garage

Post by coalcracker »

I've taken up woodworking as a hobby in the past few years, and have reached a point at which I want/need larger power tools (table saw, planer) to complete future projects. In the past, I've done most of the messy work outside, rolling my mitre saw on its table from the basement to my gravel driveway. It's a PITA, and not a long term solution if I acquire more tools.

My detached garage is about 50 yards from my basement. It would much easier to store large power tools in the garage, and roll them onto the driveway when I need them. I use a dehumidifier in there over the summer, but it's otherwise non-conditioned and not insulated. I live the northeast with hot summers (80s) and cold winters (20s-30s).

Will storing power tools in there for all 4 seasons damage them in the long run? Any cheap fix to partially condition the garage and mitigate against wear on the tools?
alfaspider

Re: Power tool storage in non-conditioned, detached garage

Post by alfaspider »

I’ve been storing lots of power tools in the garage for a very long time. It’s only heated/cooled when I’m working in it. Hasn’t harmed them at all as far as I can tell.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

If you have anything on battery, I'd probably keep those on the inside of the home.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I'd keep the dehumidifier running as much as you can (probably shouldn't run it when it's freezing outside). We have a detached garage in the northeast near the water and the humidity did a number on the inside of the garage (rotted wooden doors, rusted tools) until I started running the dehumidifier as much as I can.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I've been using a 3-car detached garage with a walkup attic since I started dating my now-wife in 2015. Her late husband built it right before he died in 2008 and it was never insulated at all or heated. It has 3 small windows across the back, a side door and the garage doors. And a ridge vent.

It's surprised me, but nothing has rusted including his renovated '64 Olds Jetstar 88 convertible or my boat. His tools are still fine, as are all of mine. That includes our two table saws, an engine hoist, floor jack, yard tools, my woodworking tools, 7 drills, 2 riding mowers and that sort of stuff. And two bicycles. Color me very, very surprised.

We live just SE of Richmond VA about a third of a mile or so from the James River and the water table is only 20 feet down. I can look in well and tell. And we get a heavy dew 99 days out of 100 and the usual Richmond semi-tropical summers with lots of thunderstorms.
whomever

Post by whomever »

What's the local climate? 2 miles from salt water, Arizona, Louisiana?

For things like the ground cast iron top of a table saw, get some old fashioned Johnson's Paste Wax. If you aren't going to be using it for a while, rub some on with a rag, let it set up for a few minutes, and buff it off with another rag. It only takes a few minutes, goes a long way towards preventing rust, and makes the wood slide easier.

Make sure sudden temp swings never result in condensation on the tools. I haven't lived in those environments; I think sometimes people in those places put a blanket or something on them to slow the temp swings, but I don't have personal experience.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

My dad's radial arm saw, purchased in 1968, always in non-conditioned garages (Illinois, Idaho, California) was still working fine when we sold in 2017, I still have and use some of his smaller power tools from the same era, now stored in unconditioned space in the Puget Sound area.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

My tools have had to live in the garage for the past 35 years. Only issue I've had is some rust.
To prevent rust, use them often and apply paste wax to the rust prone surfaces.
Temperature varies here, upper 90's to zero.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

A lot of garages suffer from high humidity which will cause rust/corrosion/pitting in metal. Insulation and a bit of heat in the winter will help.
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

Helo80 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:47 pm If you have anything on battery, I'd probably keep those on the inside of the home.
I agree 100% based on personal experience. I keep all batteries in the house.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Quality power tools can live in the back of pickup truck in a crossbed tool box and spend all day, day after day, on jobsites in the dirt, rain, and never cleaned, and still run well day after day for many years, as well as get dropped onto a cement slab on occasion.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

As others have noted, high humidity can eventually lead to some rust, but that can be prevented by keeping the tools properly lubricated. And, as you've noted, a dehumidifier can also take care of that problem.

Temperature alone isn't a problem for power tools except for batteries.
The Sensible Steward
illumination

Post by illumination »

I don't think you have anything to worry about, storing batteries indoors is a good idea and also wiping down some surfaces with something that prevents rust if it gets humid.

As much as I love my tools, I personally wouldn't want to spend money on any sort of climate control, I could easily see that cost exceeding the value of my tools "at risk".
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

You will be fine. The only thing that I would be aware of is the cast pieces of your major woodworking equipment (table saw, bandsaw, jointer, etc.) will be prone to rusting if they sit for a while. The dehumidifier will help greatly. They also make coatings that will help with this.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

coalcracker wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:30 pm Will storing power tools in there for all 4 seasons damage them in the long run? Any cheap fix to partially condition the garage and mitigate against wear on the tools?
I've been storing tools in my unconditioned garage for three decades now without any damage to humidity. However, on large steel surfaces like on my tablesaw and planer, I try to polish them with wax (to decrease friction) several times a year and that also acts as a protectant against humidity. As far as handheld tools go, I do absolutely zero.

With woodworking, I think the odds of your tool remaining in your possession long enough to develop humidity damage are slim compared to the odds of upgrading it every decade or so to the latest and greatest.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Insulate and properly ventilate the garage. For the few bucks and little time that it takes, it will make it better for tool storage - and, much more comfortable for you to work in.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Pigeye Brewster wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:20 pm
Helo80 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:47 pm If you have anything on battery, I'd probably keep those on the inside of the home.
Battery chemistry is important here, and I don't believe Li-Ion batteries are nearly as susceptible to temperature swings normally experienced in a garage environment as the old NiCads were. The oldest of my Milwaukee M12 batteries are now 5 years old, and perform indistinguishably from new. Stored in my garage in suburban Chicago year-round, except for whichever one happens to be in my heated jacket at any given time. The only special treatment they get is I top them up every few months if they haven't been used.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:47 am
Battery chemistry is important here, and I don't believe Li-Ion batteries are nearly as susceptible to temperature swings normally experienced in a garage environment as the old NiCads were.
I never had much experience with ni-cad batteries, but li-lon batteries really don't do well in cold weather. Many will not work at all once they drop below 32 F. Those who use their phones in cold weather can attest to this. When skiing, I have to keep my phone in a warm pocket or it will die. You can read some about the cold weather issues of li-ion batteries here.
The Sensible Steward
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:03 am I never had much experience with ni-cad batteries, but li-lon batteries really don't do well in cold weather. Many will not work at all once they drop below 32 F. Those who use their phones in cold weather can attest to this. When skiing, I have to keep my phone in a warm pocket or it will die. You can read some about the cold weather issues of li-ion batteries here.
Agreed, but I don't think there is permanent damage as a result of them simply getting cold.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:03 am I never had much experience with ni-cad batteries, but li-lon batteries really don't do well in cold weather. Many will not work at all once they drop below 32 F. Those who use their phones in cold weather can attest to this. When skiing, I have to keep my phone in a warm pocket or it will die. You can read some about the cold weather issues of li-ion batteries here.
Agreed, but I don't think there is permanent damage as a result of them simply getting cold.
No, it doesn't cause damage; they just don't work.
The Sensible Steward
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:03 am
lazydavid wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:47 am
Battery chemistry is important here, and I don't believe Li-Ion batteries are nearly as susceptible to temperature swings normally experienced in a garage environment as the old NiCads were.
I never had much experience with ni-cad batteries, but li-lon batteries really don't do well in cold weather. Many will not work at all once they drop below 32 F. Those who use their phones in cold weather can attest to this. When skiing, I have to keep my phone in a warm pocket or it will die. You can read some about the cold weather issues of li-ion batteries here.
Sure, but that's not really an issue unless you plan on working with the powertools out in the cold. I suppose if you are, you could always just bring the batteries inside for an hour before using them.

I agree with another comment that the cost of climate controlling a garage 24/7 would far exceed the potential damage from not doing so. I have milwaukee M18 batteries that have lived in a non-climate controlled garage for 6 years now with no issues.
IMO

Post by IMO »

I do think in the long term with the humidity and condensation, power tools would over time be more prone to be negatively affected.

Can you make covers for the equipment when not in use?