Car suggestion for 70+ year-old mom

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Calico

Car suggestion for 70+ year-old mom

Post by Calico »

My mom recently got into a minor accident (her fault). The cars in front of her slammed on the brakes and she just couldn't react fast enough and rear-ended the car in front of her. EDITED to add: She gave me more information. She couldn't stop in time because she was distracted playing with the heater in the car that stopped working. She was looking at the heater, not the road and when she glanced up again, the car in front of her was slamming on the brakes and while she applied her brakes, she couldn't stop in time.

I think there is a good chance her old car might be totaled. It's not a lot of damage, mostly just the front bumper and grill, but it's 15-year-old Buick and it's not worth a lot and the insurance company adjuster said it's going to be at least $4000 to fix. She is waiting on the final estimate and for the insurance company to call her back. I looked up KBB value of her car and it's $2,500-$4,800 for "good" condition (sell to private party... I don't know what measure insurance companies use). EDITED: Turns out the final number for the damage is $3521 and the car itself has 50K more miles on it than I thought. The KBB value is $1,500-$3,500. No word from insurance yet.

My brother and I are trying to take this opportunity to AGAIN try to convince her to get a newer car with more safety features. We've tried this before, but I think the accident shook her up and maybe she'd be more willing to listen. She's not at a point where she needs to give up her license, but we think she needs some help. It's just that her reaction time isn't as good as it used to be and she can't turn her neck all the way around to see behind her because of neck spurs (and her old car doesn't have a backup camera).

I think she needs a car that sits up higher (she has a hard time getting in and out of the Buick with her arthritis and bad knees) and she needs something with some sort of per-collision breaking, that backing up breaking, and blind spot warning. I think my new car, a Crosstrek with eyesight would be perfect for her, but she has this bias against foreign cars and loves of GM cars because she gets a discount/my dad worked for GM. According to my brother, the GM discount isn't what it used to be though. She has an unreasonable bias against Kia because of game shows featuring cheap models. She's renting a Nissan Versa right now and now doesn't like Nissan because she thinks they are cheap. I still want to present her with good, foreign options though. I might be able to convince her that some Japanese cars are okay but my guess is she will buy a Buick again.

I did find an old thread in this forum on the same topic, but it's a bit long in the tooth as cars have changed since 2017 and some of the links in it are now dead. I think some of the recommendations there are still valid: Forester, Outback, Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX5. That thread also suggested Uber, Lift, and Taxis... they don't exist where she lives. So that's not an option. Any other suggestions? Especially GM suggestions that might be good for her? I was thinking maybe an Encore or the new Envision.

I will be seeing her this weekend when I give her my old laptop and teach her how to use it. I thought that might be a good time to talk cars and maybe look at some online. My brother, who lives closer to her, said he would take her out test driving and treat her to lunch next week... if we can convince her (or maybe we won't need to if the insurance company decides for her).
Last edited by Calico on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
rai

Re: Car suggestion for 70+ year-old mom

Post by rai »

I got my daughter an Outback that’s a wagon/SUV but drives like a tall car. Anyway it’s not too small and not too big and gets some decent gas mileage and good safety equipment and rating.

Most Subaru’s are built in the US.
Last edited by rai on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Outbacks are made in Lafayette, Indiana if that helps... :sharebeer
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Subaru for sure.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Used Subaru Forester. Great visibility. Sit up higher.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I think you also want to consider the specific safety/convenience factors.

Some of these would be back-up camera, blind spot warning, collision avoidance, etc. On some models/trim levels, some of these may be standard, but some may be add-ons.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
rai

Post by rai »

My daughters Outback she drives a lot interstate to college and we drove it 1000 miles to Michigan with three occupants and full trunk it’s only a 4 cylinder but it still moves ok. We were getting around 400 miles on a tank of gas.

I won’t say there is only one great choice, I’m sure there is a lot of great choices we looked at Mazda felt smaller inside than the Outback. We looked at Forester too but that was more upright and SUVey than the Outback more tall car.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Hi, OP. Based on Buick's website, the Envision comes standard with pre-collision braking and generally more safety features than are available on the smaller and cheaper Encore. You are also likely to get a bigger discount on this vehicle compared to RAV4 or another more popular car. If you get any kind of employee discount, that's even better. If this is the car that makes your mom most comfortable, then it seems like a good choice.

In terms of features, quality, reliability, and so on, Buick is fine. In fact, almost all cars nowadays are pretty good.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Consumer reports has a list here from 2019. Priced from 24 to 47k new.
https://www.consumerreports.org/elderly ... y-seniors/

Key Criteria for the Senior Life Stage Score:
Advanced safety features, good visibility, easy access, no-nonsense tech and/or knob controls, quiet cabin, good ride quality.

List includes:
Subaru Forester
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento
Subaru Outback
Honda CRV
Last edited by mhalley on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

My mom’s old Buick had nice cushy seats - which helped arthritis. Look for something in the Buick line with cushy seats.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

The Chevy Malibu with the Driver Confidence I and II package appears to have all the safety features. It appears that many of GM's middle priced SUVs lack the automatic braking, even with all safety packages added. This feature also appears to no be there on the very well-priced and safety featured Corolla.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Calico - I am 83 and own a 2019 Subaru Outback Touring model. It's a great car with all the safety bells and whistles mentioned by others here. One new thing that came on the 2020 model that I would have liked was the camera that shows the area immediately in front of the front bumper. The Subaru Outback and Forester are noted for their outward visibility in that the A, B, C, and D pillars are very small and placed to allow great visibility. Entry and exit is very easy and nothing like that of her old Buick. Back in 2018 Consumer Reports did a special article on vehicles for seniors and both Subaru models were #1 and 2. Forester was too boxy and tall for me.
Tom D.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I would see if you can have the car made drivable cheaply. If so take the money and post-pandemic, 2022 or whatever, go car shopping for a newer car. Having tried car shopping during the pandemic myself... ugh. And ultimately everyone has to "try on" multiple models - you can't buy one off a website.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:54 pm My mom recently got into a minor accident (her fault). The cars in front of her slammed on the brakes and she just couldn't react fast enough and rear-ended the car in front of her. I think there is a good chance her old car might be totaled. It's not a lot of damage, mostly just the front bumper and grill, but it's 15-year-old Buick and it's not worth a lot and the insurance company adjuster said it's going to be at least $4000 to fix . She is waiting on the final estimate and for the insurance company to call her back. I looked up KBB value of her car and it's $2,500-$4,800 for "good" condition (sell to private party... I don't know what measure insurance companies use).

My brother and I are trying to take this opportunity to AGAIN try to convince her to get a newer car with more safety features. We've tried this before, but I think the accident shook her up and maybe she'd be more willing to listen. She's not at a point where she needs to give up her license, but we think she needs some help. It's just that her reaction time isn't as good as it used to be and she can't turn her neck all the way around to see behind her because of neck spurs (and her old car doesn't have a backup camera).

I think she needs a car that sits up higher (she has a hard time getting in and out of the Buick with her arthritis and bad knees) and she needs something with some sort of per-collision breaking, that backing up breaking, and blind spot warning. I think my new car, a Crosstrek with eyesight would be perfect for her, but she has this bias against foreign cars and loves of GM cars because she gets a discount/my dad worked for GM. According to my brother, the GM discount isn't what it used to be though. She has an unreasonable bias against Kia because of game shows featuring cheap models. She's renting a Nissan Versa right now and now doesn't like Nissan because she thinks they are cheap. I still want to present her with good, foreign options though. I might be able to convince her that some Japanese cars are okay but my guess is she will buy a Buick again.

I did find an old thread in this forum on the same topic, but it's a bit long in the tooth as cars have changed since 2017 and some of the links in it are now dead. I think some of the recommendations there are still valid: Forester, Outback, Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX5. That thread also suggested Uber, Lift, and Taxis... they don't exist where she lives. So that's not an option. Any other suggestions? Especially GM suggestions that might be good for her? I was thinking maybe an Encore or the new Envision.

I will be seeing her this weekend when I give her my old laptop and teach her how to use it. I thought that might be a good time to talk cars and maybe look at some online. My brother, who lives closer to her, said he would take her out test driving and treat her to lunch next week... if we can convince her (or maybe we won't need to if the insurance company decides for her).
How much do you want to spend? I think Lexus makes the best all-around crossover out there- the RX350. My mother drives one and it's a great vehicle- reliable, comfortable, and very easy to park. However if she is biased against foreign vehicles, I'd highly suggest looking at the new Buick Envision. Very nice vehicle, competitively priced, and it's a Buick so it should be quite comfortable for someone older. Perhaps also I'd suggest the new Lincoln Corsair or Nautilus. Also very nice vehicles, reasonably priced, and should fit what your mom is looking for.
delamer

Post by delamer »

If there is a CarMax near your mother, it’s a good place to check out a few different vehicles to see what’s comfortable for her.

I agree that an Encore or Envision would be options, if she wants a GM product. One that is a lightly used would be a good value and can be found with all the safety features.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Almost 3 years ago, my mom, 82 at the time was looking for a new car. My dad had always required one of the big 3 and she really wanted to stick with one. In the end, she decided that a Lafayette, Indiana Subaru was a better choice than a Mexico built Ford. I met her at the dealer and she ruled out the forester in the showroom before I even arrived. We went to check out a Crosstrek which she thought she'd want from pictures on the internet. We then checked out a Legacy and she liked it much better. I insisted that she be sure that the car have Eyesight and the dealer earmarked the 2 colors she was fine with and a few weeks later, the car came in with only Eyesight as an option on a dark blue Legacy premium. She likes it quite a bit. I drove the car from Mass to Orlando over 2 days and was really impressed by both the auto braking and the adaptive cruise control, which keeps the car a set distance from the car in front regardless of the speed, up to the speed you set.

There are other good auto braking car companies. I saw Doug DeMuro review a car with GMs new automatic driving system which he put a notch above Tesla. But that's only available now on the Escalade and some ginormous sedan.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

A vote for Toyota RAV4. My wife got one about 18 months ago and loves it. It sits up much higher than a sedan, but a lot lower than a larger SUV.

And it’s a Toyota! Excellent reliability.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:54 pm I did find an old thread in this forum on the same topic, but it's a bit long in the tooth as cars have changed since 2017 and some of the links in it are now dead. I think some of the recommendations there are still valid: Forester, Outback, Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX5.
The Forester sits upright and has very good visibility. Very reliable, easy to drive, easy to enter and exit, all-wheel drive, not expensive, eyesight technology. Lots of older folks in my area drive them. As do I.

I would suggest that she try several compact SUVs. The Forester has a firm feel to its seating that some don't enjoy. Some prefer the RAV4, some prefer the CR-V. I have one 70+ neighbor with an HR-V and she loves it. I have another 80+ neighbor with a Crosstrek and she loves it.

Personally, I would never recommend a Buick.

BTW, lots of the 70+ friends I know don't like all the safety features on cars these days. Some have them disabled.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Stinky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 pm A vote for Toyota RAV4. My wife got one about 18 months ago and loves it. It sits up much higher than a sedan, but a lot lower than a larger SUV.

It sounds like the OP's mom is against foreign vehicles so a Toyota is probably not the most relevant suggestion.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:09 pm
Stinky wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 pm A vote for Toyota RAV4. My wife got one about 18 months ago and loves it. It sits up much higher than a sedan, but a lot lower than a larger SUV.

It sounds like the OP's mom is against foreign vehicles so a Toyota is probably not the most relevant suggestion.
What’s more foreign? The Buick Envision assembled in China, or the RAV4 in Ontario or Ky?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

OP said he’s presenting foreign options.

So Toyota is relevant.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
cityscapex5

Post by cityscapex5 »

How about a Chevrolet Bolt? It sits a bit higher than a normal car - I think GM classifies it as a SUV. The premiere model has pre collision braking, rear traffic alert, 360 camera. The only thing it lacks is automatic rear braking. Being an EV it has other benefits such as no maintenance, smog checks, etc. but you have to have some charging infrastructure in the house based on how much she would use it. Standard range is around 250 miles per charge.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

Thanks for the replies so far and the GM car suggestions.

With my mom, she likes GM cars because of the GM employee discount she gets though my deceased dad, but she kind of lets it blind her to other deals she could get on other, good cars. She seems to just assume the best deal she will get is on a GM car. It has nothing to do where the car is built.

Since it's hard enough trying to convince her it's time to replace her old car, so I figure I will try to pick my battles on this one. That said, I also plan to drive her around a bit in my new car (Subaru) so she can see that it's not a "tin box" like she assumes. So maybe it will open her eyes to other possibilities, in which case, I would like to have some options to present to her.

She probably won't spend the time to learn how to turn off the safety features. Besides, I think she might actually use them. She knows she has a hard time turning her neck to see in her blind spot, etc.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm She probably won't spend the time to learn how to turn off the safety features.
She won't have to. The dealership would do it for her.
Besides, I think she might actually use them. She knows she has a hard time turning her neck to see in her blind spot, etc.
That would be nice. Good luck.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:16 pm

What’s more foreign? The Buick Envision assembled in China, or the RAV4 in Ontario or Ky?
I know...I get what you're saying...but some older people just have that mindset. My father, who passed away last year, would NEVER buy a foreign-branded vehicle. He drove a Cadillac sedan for his entire life that I can remember even when Cadillac's were having issues with their headgaskets. Sometimes it's just difficult to change your ways...

After he passed my mom kept the Cadillac because she didn't want to part with "dad's car" but happily bought a Lexus because it was a much nicer vehicle.
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

You may want to try the Edmunds site to compare different vehicles. This site compares price, dimensions, ground clearance, EPA fuel economy, etc. This may be a good place to compare SUVs.

I gave my Camry to my son a few years ago & bought a RAV4, which is higher off the ground & easier to get in & out.

Google: Edmunds compare

The RAV4 is built in Georgetown, KY, USA. (According to “the google”!)

Update: I just checked & accordingly to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), my 2019 RAV4 was made in Canada.

bill
Last edited by billfromct on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armani

Post by Armani »

I vote for a Lotus Evora. That’s what we bought our elderly mother.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 pmAfter he passed my mom kept the Cadillac because she didn't want to part with "dad's car" but happily bought a Lexus because it was a much nicer vehicle.
She purchased a Japanese car? :shock:
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Please make sure that *she* drives the car for enough time to be as certain as possible (whatever that is :annoyed ) that she is comfortable in the seats and doesn't find something she hates about the car.

Perhaps, when she has narrowed it to 2 or 3 cars (or even if only 1), rent "one of those", same trim level, etc., for her for a day or two and try to make sure she drives to a few of the places she tends to go. Groceries? Medical appointments? Visit friends? Work?

And see if you can encourage her to *try* using a few key features, such as backup camera and blindspot detection. Those are easy NOT to use until one purposefully stops reflexively "doing it the old way".
Other features, like automatic braking will happen... automatically. :wink:

We got our Volvo XC60 a few years ago precisely of the backup cam. My neck just couldn't take the twisting anymore.
Also, I had a 2004 XC90, and it is not easy to see behind it. Thus, in parking lots, I started feeling almost paralyzed with fear that there would be someone - especially a child - "back there".
[Note: I had a child struck by a car decades ago, so this is an especially sensitive concern, but even without that... there was not good visibility.]

We both love this car, and will probably get the "next model" whenever it's time.

One negative: We HATE that infosystem display. But that type of thing is showing up more and more everywhere these days.
We may be dinosaurs, but we'd rather have the little switches or knobs that are, quaint thing, *labeled*.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

billfromct wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:31 pm

The RAV4 is built in Georgetown, KY, USA.

bill
Last I checked, only the hybrid was being assembled in KY. Has Woodstock shutdown their RAV4 line?
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

JoeRetire wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:33 pm
Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 pmAfter he passed my mom kept the Cadillac because she didn't want to part with "dad's car" but happily bought a Lexus because it was a much nicer vehicle.
She purchased a Japanese car? :shock:
She was always much more open-minded than my father was. :sharebeer
02nz

Post by 02nz »

delamer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:38 pm I agree that an Encore or Envision would be options, if she wants a GM product. One that is a lightly used would be a good value and can be found with all the safety features.
Confusingly, besides the Encore and Envision, there's also an Encore GX, which is sized between the two. (Apparently, between these two and the Enclave, GM ran out of words starting with E.) It's actually a completely different vehicle from the Encore, and might be just the right size - the Encore has rather awkward proportions, while the Envision is probably more car than a senior needs. Oh, and none of these cars are made anywhere near the U.S.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

02nz wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:58 pm
delamer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:38 pm I agree that an Encore or Envision would be options, if she wants a GM product. One that is a lightly used would be a good value and can be found with all the safety features.
Confusingly, besides the Encore and Envision, there's also an Encore GX, which is sized between the two. (Apparently, between these two and the Enclave, GM ran out of words starting with E.) It's actually a completely different vehicle from the Encore, and might be just the right size - the Encore has rather awkward proportions, while the Envision is probably more car than a senior needs. Oh, and none of these cars are made anywhere near the U.S.
Buick must have somehow decided that that the Encore has so much name recognition that the middle car should be named as a derivative (?).
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

I'm not familiar with GM cars anymore but Subaru's Eyesight system is awesome. The adaptive cruise control has to be manually engaged, but the blind spot monitor, and automatic braking systems work work without having to turn them on. For example, if you're backing up and a pedestrian crosses the path of your vehicle, the car will stop automatically. I've had an Outback and now an Ascent. Both are amazing cars for the price. I would take mom to a showroom and let her see which model fits her the best. A Crosstek might be just the thing for her. It's smallish and taller, but very roomy.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

Lexx wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 pm I'm not familiar with GM cars anymore but Subaru's Eyesight system is awesome. The adaptive cruise control has to be manually engaged, but the blind spot monitor, and automatic braking systems work work without having to turn them on. For example, if you're backing up and a pedestrian crosses the path of your vehicle, the car will stop automatically. I've had an Outback and now an Ascent. Both are amazing cars for the price. I would take mom to a showroom and let her see which model fits her the best. A Crosstek might be just the thing for her. It's smallish and taller, but very roomy.
I am trying to talk her into driving my Crosstrek when I see her this week (I just got it two weeks ago). It would be like a test drive without the hassle of going to the dealer. :D

We've been talking and I've been building Buicks for her online while we are on the phone (and telling her the MSRP). She doesn't like the prices with the options she wants (she wants to spend under $30K). When I told her the cheaper Encore was the same as the Chevy Trax, she was really turned off. She has a friend with a Trax that is, "always in the shop." I got my Crosstrek Limited (almost fully loaded I just don't have the fancy speakers) for $28K out the door. I joked I bet we could go back to the dealer and tell them we wanted another one, just like it, for the same price and we would probably get it. But she took me seriously on that.

Seriously though, the Crosstrek, if it's comfy for her, is everything she would need and a good price. Plus, they are more reliable than the Buicks and hold their value better if she decides to stop driving in a few years and sells it.
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

The Crosstek is a fantastic vehicle. It's perfectly proportioned for someone who doesn't need a big car. And unless she's really wedded to getting leather, I encourage her to try sitting in a cloth Premium. The cloth interiors are really really comfortable. They're not not in the summer nor are they cold in the winter. You save a few bucks as well.

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:38 pm
Lexx wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 pm I'm not familiar with GM cars anymore but Subaru's Eyesight system is awesome. The adaptive cruise control has to be manually engaged, but the blind spot monitor, and automatic braking systems work work without having to turn them on. For example, if you're backing up and a pedestrian crosses the path of your vehicle, the car will stop automatically. I've had an Outback and now an Ascent. Both are amazing cars for the price. I would take mom to a showroom and let her see which model fits her the best. A Crosstek might be just the thing for her. It's smallish and taller, but very roomy.
I am trying to talk her into driving my Crosstrek when I see her this week (I just got it two weeks ago). It would be like a test drive without the hassle of going to the dealer. :D

We've been talking and I've been building Buicks for her online while we are on the phone (and telling her the MSRP). She doesn't like the prices with the options she wants (she wants to spend under $30K). When I told her the cheaper Encore was the same as the Chevy Trax, she was really turned off. She has a friend with a Trax that is, "always in the shop." I got my Crosstrek Limited (almost fully loaded I just don't have the fancy speakers) for $28K out the door. I joked I bet we could go back to the dealer and tell them we wanted another one, just like it, for the same price and we would probably get it. But she took me seriously on that.

Seriously though, the Crosstrek, if it's comfy for her, is everything she would need and a good price. Plus, they are more reliable than the Buicks and hold their value better if she decides to stop driving in a few years and sells it.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Lexx wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:41 pm The cloth interiors are really really comfortable. They're not not in the summer nor are they cold in the winter. You save a few bucks as well.
Older people can't pivot on cloth like they can on leather (younger people probably can't either, but can work around that limitation) and this is sometimes an overriding factor for them, even those that would otherwise prefer cloth.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Uber.
I am 72.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I went from a Buick LeSabre to an Outback, and that was a very good choice. Reasoning was first the outward visibility and secondly the ease of entry and exit. After that going to AWD was an incentive. A 21st century LeSabre doesn't exist, I don't think. I would strongly suspect that the level of technology to cope with in a fully equipped Outback could be insurmountable in a case like this. I could be wrong. It isn't the kind of thing that's a problem for me. It's just another physics lab. It is true Subaru does a pretty good job with intuitive and easy to operate knobs and dials. One of my tests is being able to operate the climate controls at 20 below wearing mittens. I could do that easily in the Buick and mostly OK in the Outback.
dbr

Post by dbr »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:25 pm
Lexx wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:41 pm The cloth interiors are really really comfortable. They're not not in the summer nor are they cold in the winter. You save a few bucks as well.
Older people can't pivot on cloth like they can on leather (younger people probably can't either, but can work around that limitation) and this is sometimes an overriding factor for them, even those that would otherwise prefer cloth.
I agree. It makes a difference, but my wife complains the seats don't heat up fast enough hot enough. I already have them turned off before we hit the first intersection because they are too hot.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I would take my mom to the Subaru dealership and let her find a nice 2021 model with Eyesight --- whichever one she can comfortably get in and out of the most.

I personally do not own a Sub, but when it comes to safety, the EyeSight system is about as good as it gets with current tech.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
dbr

Post by dbr »

The information and warning set that is supplied in modern safety equipped vehicles can be a cognitive load on the driver that may be more than everyone should be trying to handle. In short, "Why does this car keep beeping at me? Am I supposed to do something?" Even just a simple event like the Eyesight shutting off when there is a little fog on the upper windshield when starting out on a cold morning looks like a notice that something serious is wrong, not just the "X" over the eyesight but the symbols showing some of the collision warnings are disabled. And then lurking in there somewhere will be one that actually matters, like low oil pressure, if that ever happens, or a flashing check engine light. Heck, at just about exactly 38F a little warning goes on that roads may be slippery (Remember bridges ice before roads!).
BL

Post by BL »

Since she likes Buick, I thought I would mention that, as a "little old lady", I really like our 2017 Buick Encore Essence, just below the top Premium. It was a new, but 1 year old small SUV with leather heated seats and lots of safety features (Premium probably has still more.) The price was about 8k below MSRP, too good to pass up. I love the narrower and shorter profile, with easier access that a higher SUV. Visibility is much better than sedan, and back-up camera with warning is great. Only complaint is battery life.

Be sure she tries out whatever she considers. The safety features can get complicated.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

CX5 is a great driving car and a good value for the money. For what its worth, Consumer Reports just rated Mazda as the #1 brand for satisfaction/reliability. I've found Mazdas to be true driver's cars. Enjoyed the two Miatas I've owned as well.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:38 pm I am trying to talk her into driving my Crosstrek when I see her this week (I just got it two weeks ago). It would be like a test drive without the hassle of going to the dealer. :D

It makes a lot of sense to see if she likes the Crosstrek by letting her drive yours. If she does, take her to the Subaru dealer and have her check out the Outback and Forester too.

They are all good cars at reasonable prices, and one will likely feel "just right".
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I see a lot of elderly around these parts driving Subaru Outbacks, Subaru Foresters and Subaru Cross Treks.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:15 am I see a lot of elderly around these parts driving Subaru Outbacks, Subaru Foresters and Subaru Cross Treks.
Just curious where do you live?

I'm in Iowa and I see most senior citizens have a strong preference for Buicks, Cadillacs, and Lincoln.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Something like a Toyota RAV4 or maybe a used Lexus RX would be my suggestion. The Japanese brands seem to be more "American" these days than what is from the traditional Big 3. My MIL has had 2 Lexus RX's, both of been great cars for her.

I really have a bias against GM except for maybe their full size offerings, I don't think even with an employee GM discount they are worth buying. At one time Buick was a decent brand, but I would especially avoid Buick, a lot of manufacturing now in China.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:15 am I see a lot of elderly around these parts driving Subaru Outbacks, Subaru Foresters and Subaru Cross Treks.
I see the same here in Maine.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Workaholic wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am
Just curious where do you live?

I'm in Iowa and I see most senior citizens have a strong preference for Buicks, Cadillacs, and Lincoln.
Upper Midwest. Snow....
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW