USPS Postmarks on Envelopes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tomd37

USPS Postmarks on Envelopes

Post by tomd37 »

Has anyone else noted the absence of USPS postmarks on envelopes these days. I see most of the mail I receive these days is what I call presorted and there is no indication of when it was mailed. Therefore I cannot determine how long it takes to reach me. Still waiting on two Valentine cards mailed February 9th from North Carolina to Tennessee. :x
Tom D.
jebmke

Re: USPS Postmarks on Envelopes

Post by jebmke »

We received two separate first class items (personal mail, not mass mail) from Columbus, Ohio. They each took five weeks. They were postmarked - that's how I knew how long it took. I don't use mail any more unless there is absolutely no other alternative.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
talzara

Post by talzara »

tomd37 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:01 am Still waiting on two Valentine cards mailed February 9th from North Carolina to Tennessee. :x
jebmke wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:45 am We received two separate first class items (personal mail, not mass mail) from Columbus, Ohio. They each took five weeks. They were postmarked - that's how I knew how long it took.
The USPS had an on-time delivery rate of just 54.6% for 3-5 day mail in the fourth quarter of 2020: https://about.usps.com/what/performance ... mance.html

This is down from a peak of 92.3% in 2012, and it's a sharp drop from 80.9% in 2019.

It's easier to destroy than to create. You can remove a mail sorting machine in an afternoon for thousands of dollars. Once the machine is gone, it'll take months and millions of dollars to set up another mail sorting line.

Edit: The Eastern Region had a 49.6% on-time delivery rate for 3-5 day mail, not the whole country.
Last edited by talzara on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

tomd37 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:01 am Has anyone else noted the absence of USPS postmarks on envelopes these days. I see most of the mail I receive these days is what I call presorted and there is no indication of when it was mailed. Therefore I cannot determine how long it takes to reach me. Still waiting on two Valentine cards mailed February 9th from North Carolina to Tennessee. :x
I just checked my USPS Informed Delivery email pdfs for the last month. All the ones with postage stamps (but not pre-sorted postage stamps) have a cancel with a date and location shown. All others with printed postage, have no cancel or date. Interesting also that there are so few postage stamps on my mail.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

I complained about slow and never delivered mail and received a form letter that blamed it on (1) covid19 causing a shortage of workers and (2) high volumes of mail. I thought the reason given for ripping out sorting machines was due to lower volumes of first class mail :oops: . I almost had an insurance policy cancelled after 1 check got lost in the mail and a 2nd check was delivered weeks late (after the 3rd check sent by FedEx finally made it just in time to avoid cancellation). The insurance company would take payment over the phone.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

None of my mail arrives post marked anymore! I noticed this recently and thought it was strange.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Vanguard is sending me some forms. Told to expect them in 7 to 10 business days. The pony express was faster.
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

talzara wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:38 pm
tomd37 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:01 am Still waiting on two Valentine cards mailed February 9th from North Carolina to Tennessee. :x
jebmke wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:45 am We received two separate first class items (personal mail, not mass mail) from Columbus, Ohio. They each took five weeks. They were postmarked - that's how I knew how long it took.
The USPS had an on-time delivery rate of just 49.6% for 3-5 day mail in the fourth quarter of 2020: https://about.usps.com/what/performance ... mance.html

This is down from a peak of 92.3% in 2012, and it's a sharp drop from 80.9% in 2019.

It's easier to destroy than to create. You can remove a mail sorting machine in an afternoon for thousands of dollars. Once the machine is gone, it'll take months and millions of dollars to set up another mail sorting line.
Amen, brother.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I've noticed of late that USPS is beginning to resemble the postal service in many lesser developed countries. Not sure how that bodes for the future.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

USPS is not what it used to be. I mailed my property tax check 6 weeks ago. USPS 1st class (mistake I know). Check has not been cashed so I called up the taxman. She said wait another few weeks before stop-payment & sending another because they often get stuff weeks late per the postmark.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

The USPS is in complete and utter disarray at this time. This includes postmarks, lost mail, delayed mail, etc.

Their current level of service is completely atrocious.

Hopefully they will work through their very well known issues and become reliable once again for their customers.
Calico

Post by Calico »

Most of my bills don't have postmarks on them. There is one that is late (Verizon). I should have it by now but it's always the same amount and I just paid it via online bill pay. I know I got some Christmas cards, mailed in early December, as late as mid-January. Where I work, we are accepting late payments without penalty because we can see, by postmarks on personal mail, that people mailed checks in time, but they took weeks to months to get to us.

My mom gets medicine by mail and some of it's been so late she had to get emergency fills from her doctors at the pharmacy and that costs her extra money.

Hopefully it will get fixed soon.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Some political comments were removed. As a reminder, see Politics and Religion:
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

SueG5123 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:23 pm
talzara wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:38 pm
The USPS had an on-time delivery rate of just 49.6% for 3-5 day mail in the fourth quarter of 2020: https://about.usps.com/what/performance ... mance.html

Amen, brother.
Not necessarily. Beyond the talking points, many the machines were slated to be retired; even union reps admitted that some of them were not in use. My guess, and its only a guess, is that the delivery time decline is based on the drop in OT as a budget saving item. Reading articles last summer, many mail carriers would check in and wait for more mail trucks to arrive prior to sorting for their runs. Thus, they'd start late and end up with OT by end of their delivery run. Now, they check in and sort immediately, and go on their runs, finishing within 8 hours. Mail that might have been delivered today goes out tomorrow instead.

And of course, they had a LOT of folks out sick with covid.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Interesting point, Big Dog. Would you have an references to the machine retirements? I hadn't heard that and can't seem to dig up any references on Google.

It's odd that first class mail volume is decreasing (since 2000), but service levels are also decreasing. See https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/posta ... e-1926.htm. The peak of 103,000 million first class pieces in 2000 has decreased to about 52,600 million in 2020. I would have thought that aging machines would be part of an annual maintenance business plan.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Still waiting for several Father's Day cards from 2020.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
RetiredNewbie

Post by RetiredNewbie »

I am very thankful that I am not the only one noticing that our postal service has become completely unreliable. Last September I put my Dad’s monthly bill payments in the mailbox in the post office parking lot. Eleven letters with eleven checks in them. They lost them all. I filed a formal complaint on the Post Office's website. It was ignored. A month later I sent a formal complaint to the Postal Inspector in Washington D.C. by certified mail. A week later someone from the local post office called and said that they were sorry my mail got lost, but there was nothing they could do. Yesterday I found out that they lost a letter with a check in it from my own personal account. Now there is a check of mine floating around with my account numbers on it.

They can use the Covid excuse for mail being delivered late. It doesn't wash for mail disappearing.
Your attitude about risk changes significantly when the bear begins to maul you.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I think I can make this comment without it actually being political, but given the general concern about mail-in ballots being received on time last year I'm amazed there weren't more issues. Most people we know had their ballots received on time and confirmed. The mail since November, on the other hand, has been a joke.

We pay for daycare and preschool with Bank of America bill pay checks that are sent through the mail and that's been a hot mess. Those checks are constantly late and so far everyone has been patient about it, but I guess we'll have to start hand delivering them. That's not trivial with COVID since we cant get out of the car and the kiddos will have to carry them in.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Around late June 2020, the USPS started implementing changes it said were designed to increase efficiency, but resulted in on-time delivery of first class mail plummeting from about the mid-90s to the mid-80s (and some areas significantly worse, such as the 60% range). It does not seem to have gotten better since then.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Seasonal wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:04 am Around late June 2020, the USPS started implementing changes it said were designed to increase efficiency, but resulted in on-time delivery of first class mail plummeting from about the mid-90s to the mid-80s (and some areas significantly worse, such as the 60% range). It does not seem to have gotten better since then.
Maybe if a package doesn’t take a 1600 mile detour in an otherwise 35 mile trip, efficiency would increase even more. My dog’s medicine delivery was delayed by 10 days while it sat in a Pittsburgh sorting facility. 800 miles off course due to COVID?
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:11 am
Seasonal wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:04 am Around late June 2020, the USPS started implementing changes it said were designed to increase efficiency, but resulted in on-time delivery of first class mail plummeting from about the mid-90s to the mid-80s (and some areas significantly worse, such as the 60% range). It does not seem to have gotten better since then.
Maybe if a package doesn’t take a 1600 mile detour in an otherwise 35 mile trip, efficiency would increase even more. My dog’s medicine delivery was delayed by 10 days while it sat in a Pittsburgh sorting facility. 800 miles off course due to COVID?
I'd have thought problems due to COVID would have started around March rather than months later.

It's possible that the new USPS leadership that started in the summer has a different view of efficiency than you do.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

There needs to be a federal investigation of this foolishness. They are not providing the service that you pay for and it needs to be corrected. Yes, I know all about Covid but this is ridiculous. Why aren’t elected officials talking more about this?

Rant over... :sharebeer
camden

Post by camden »

Yes, mail service has declined precipitously, and is currently the worst it has been in my lifetime. But are we not complaining about the performance of an animal that we are in the process of starving?

What entity can withstand a massive decline in volume/revenue of their core business and be expected to maintain the same level or service and efficiency as before?

A huge percentage of what formerly had to be done through the mail is now being accomplished by other means, and this phenomenon seems likely to keep increasing, not to reverse. With regard to first class mail delivery, perhaps if we want it to be at the level of 30 years ago, we will have to start again to use it more or be willing to pay a lot more for it. Don’t see either of those options happening.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

camden wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 amWhat entity can withstand a massive decline in volume/revenue of their core business and be expected to maintain the same level or service and efficiency as before?
Was there a massive decline in volume/revenue between June and mid-July?

Service was quite acceptable in the first half of the year, leadership and strategy changed and service deteriorated rapidly.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 am
We pay for daycare and preschool with Bank of America bill pay checks that are sent through the mail and that's been a hot mess. Those checks are constantly late and so far everyone has been patient about it, but I guess we'll have to start hand delivering them. That's not trivial with COVID since we cant get out of the car and the kiddos will have to carry them in.
We use Fidelity Billpay for several items. Our Wells Fargo mortgage payment was "pay-by" 12/30/20. Fido sent it on the 26th. It arrived 1/7. We lost the interest credit for 2020 taxes, almost $1000 out of our pocket. Never a problem before in many years. Other payments have also been late by a couple of days, but as you say, they've been patient.

We also learned that many/most Fido Billpays are sent USPS, not EFT. Look for the symbol next to right of the payee name in you payee list: lightning bolt = EFT; pen and check symbol = USPS
RetiredNewbie

Post by RetiredNewbie »

camden wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 am What entity can withstand a massive decline in volume/revenue of their core business and be expected to maintain the same level or service and efficiency as before?
There is NO excuse for routinely losing mail. Google "mail found in dumpster". It's a management problem.
Your attitude about risk changes significantly when the bear begins to maul you.
camden

Post by camden »

Seasonal wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:39 am
camden wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 amWhat entity can withstand a massive decline in volume/revenue of their core business and be expected to maintain the same level or service and efficiency as before?
Was there a massive decline in volume/revenue between June and mid-July?

Service was quite acceptable in the first half of the year, leadership and strategy changed and service deteriorated rapidly.
Point conceded. My comments were regarding the overall situation of USPS over decades and going forward, rather than just over the last year.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

heartwood wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:52 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 am
We use Fidelity Billpay for several items. Our Wells Fargo mortgage payment was "pay-by" 12/30/20. Fido sent it on the 26th. It arrived 1/7. We lost the interest credit for 2020 taxes, almost $1000 out of our pocket. Never a problem before in many years. Other payments have also been late by a couple of days, but as you say, they've been patient.

We also learned that many/most Fido Billpays are sent USPS, not EFT. Look for the symbol next to right of the payee name in you payee list: lightning bolt = EFT; pen and check symbol = USPS
This is an ongoing problem from what I’ve read and seen. This is an issue I would highly recommend you contact your elected officials about. To lose money because of others crappy service is inexcusable.

Good luck. :sharebeer
talzara

Post by talzara »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:11 pm My guess, and its only a guess, is that the delivery time decline is based on the drop in OT as a budget saving item. Reading articles last summer, many mail carriers would check in and wait for more mail trucks to arrive prior to sorting for their runs. Thus, they'd start late and end up with OT by end of their delivery run. Now, they check in and sort immediately, and go on their runs, finishing within 8 hours. Mail that might have been delivered today goes out tomorrow instead.
That is not what's happening to the mail that's taking 3 weeks to arrive.

The barcode scans show that the mail just isn't being sorted. It gets scanned in on the day it's mailed, then it sits around for 3 weeks, and then it gets scanned in again. When it's scanned by the sorting machine at the destination, it gets delivered the next day -- just like it used to.

Overtime does have something to do with it, but not in the way you think. It's the sorting machines again.

The sorting machines used to be run until all the mail had been sorted. Now, the postal workers are no longer allowed to run overtime, so they shut down the machines even if there's still unsorted mail. The same thing happens the next day, and the day after, and the day after. All the unsorted mail keeps building up until they finally get a day with a low mail volume. Then they push through all the old unsorted mail that's been building up over 3 weeks.

If you run the same number of machines 80% as long, that has the same effect as removing 20% of the sorting machines. The machines are still there, but they're just not being used to sort the mail.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

In my opinion, the USPS has failed to provide reliable mail service at a reasonable cost and they do not have a plan to correct that. It would be sensible at this point to end the USPS monopoly on mail and let the market sort it (wakka wakka) out. I'm personally OK with it if the market is unable to provide solutions because that is no worse than the current situation, and we can always try something else. It could also drive people to actually convert almost everything to electronic communications, as they should have already since it is 2021. Most of the mail I do receive should have been electronic.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:13 pm In my opinion, the USPS has failed to provide reliable mail service at a reasonable cost and they do not have a plan to correct that. It would be sensible at this point to end the USPS monopoly on mail and let the market sort it (wakka wakka) out. I'm personally OK with it if the market is unable to provide solutions because that is no worse than the current situation, and we can always try something else. It could also drive people to actually convert almost everything to electronic communications, as they should have already since it is 2021. Most of the mail I do receive should have been electronic.
Believe it or not, there are plenty of people in the USA without reliable internet. (Obviously, neither you nor I are among them.) They can't just convert to electronic communications. There are also a lot of seniors who aren't tech savvy and aren't about to become tech savvy in the coming months.

There are neighborhoods in our region that have had weeks go by with no mail delivery at all. People waiting on medications that their insurnace insists be delivered by mail, waiting on checks, and waiting on other important items for weeks on end. Yes, their congressperson has been informed, and has as of yet been unable to get this resolved. Apparently on top of the other issues discussed above, some neighborhoods have been so hard hit by covid (illness, deaths, quarantines, etc) that there is trouble getting sufficient personnel to show up for shifts regularly.

The USPS needs to be fixed and brought back to some reasonable degree of reliability. Too many people and businesses rely on it for essential functions. The government still uses it plenty too - lots of notices (DMV for example), IRS communications, and more come by snail mail. Some of this is increasingly being done paperless or by direct deposit, etc, but there is still a lot that goes by smail mail. And again, when a significant portion of the population doesn't use the internet, the federal, state, and local government still needs to be able to communicate with them by mail for some things. IMO the USPS is like roads and bridges and whatnot - something society needs that government needs to help organize and provide. Like failing bridges, it likely needs more funding, not to be allowed to fail. I don't think a private enterprise is going to put out a reasonable costing service that is willing to try to service every single address in the USA multiple days per week. Do you?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

clip651 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm I don't think a private enterprise is going to put out a reasonable costing service that is willing to try to service every single address in the USA multiple days per week. Do you?
I guess it's an interesting debate.

I agree that this will not happen. But I also don't think it is necessary in 2021. People are capable of adapting once you break their assumptions. I just see the current USPS model as unsustainable, and the facts are bearing that out, I think.

Less mail volume and using package carriers for packages would be fine, I think. What if all this "necessary" mail came once per month, cost 5x as much to send, and you had to travel 20 miles to the nearest spot with mail service to get yours? Not convenient at all compared to having some white jeep show up at your house 6 days a week, but if it's reliable, we could function. And I suspect the "necessary" mail volume would drop to almost nothing because people would prefer methods that work faster and cheaper than waiting over a month for pieces of paper to show up. Heck, even the IRS might adapt!

But more likely it wouldn't degrade that much in the end. Just pointing out that people can adapt to even an extreme change.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

clip651 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm Believe it or not, there are plenty of people in the USA without reliable internet. (Obviously, neither you nor I are among them.) They can't just convert to electronic communications. There are also a lot of seniors who aren't tech savvy and aren't about to become tech savvy in the coming months.

There are neighborhoods in our region that have had weeks go by with no mail delivery at all. People waiting on medications that their insurnace insists be delivered by mail, waiting on checks, and waiting on other important items for weeks on end. Yes, their congressperson has been informed, and has as of yet been unable to get this resolved. Apparently on top of the other issues discussed above, some neighborhoods have been so hard hit by covid (illness, deaths, quarantines, etc) that there is trouble getting sufficient personnel to show up for shifts regularly.
Same here and I live within an 1.5 hours of DC. We have areas that have no internet and no cell service. Also, USPS is the last mile even for many shipments that start out UPS/FEDEX. And it isn't just individuals. Some of the small businesses and especially the farmers make quite a few small shipments (e.g. soil test samples) via USPS.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:13 pm In my opinion, the USPS has failed to provide reliable mail service at a reasonable cost and they do not have a plan to correct that. It would be sensible at this point to end the USPS monopoly on mail and let the market sort it (wakka wakka) out. I'm personally OK with it if the market is unable to provide solutions because that is no worse than the current situation, and we can always try something else. It could also drive people to actually convert almost everything to electronic communications, as they should have already since it is 2021. Most of the mail I do receive should have been electronic.
+1

I avoid using this “service” as much as possible. Unreliable, is the word that is used here. And I can’t risk that...
egrets

Post by egrets »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 am I think I can make this comment without it actually being political, but given the general concern about mail-in ballots being received on time last year I'm amazed there weren't more issues. Most people we know had their ballots received on time and confirmed. The mail since November, on the other hand, has been a joke.
I used the mail for my state's March 2nd election:

Mail Ballot Application Received by Local Board of Canvassers: 01/23/2021 (a few days after I mailed it)
Mail Ballot Application Status: Accept
Mail Ballot Mailed to Voter: 02/06/2021
Mail Ballot Received by the Board of Elections: 02/22/2021 (this was me, not the post office, I didn't mail it quickly)
Mail Ballot Status: Accept

Blaming the "post office" and its employees for poor service is like blaming a mugging victim for walking slowly.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Fedex and UPS charge ~$40-$50 to pick up a letter for delivery across America. How many times in the past decade have you elected to pay that for non-time sensitive letters instead of using a <$1 USPS first class stamp? I bet it is zero.

I think a better solution would allow people like yourself to opt out and give private carriers the freedom to bill you when you are sent mail.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

egrets wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:52 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 am I think I can make this comment without it actually being political, but given the general concern about mail-in ballots being received on time last year I'm amazed there weren't more issues. Most people we know had their ballots received on time and confirmed. The mail since November, on the other hand, has been a joke.
I used the mail for my state's March 2nd election:

Mail Ballot Application Received by Local Board of Canvassers: 01/23/2021 (a few days after I mailed it)
Mail Ballot Application Status: Accept
Mail Ballot Mailed to Voter: 02/06/2021
Mail Ballot Received by the Board of Elections: 02/22/2021 (this was me, not the post office, I didn't mail it quickly)
Mail Ballot Status: Accept

Blaming the "post office" and its employees for poor service is like blaming a mugging victim for walking slowly.
Maybe in your case, but most of us like have a far different experience. I blame the USPS, and NOT Covid. Here's my example, using USPS Informed Delivery tracking:

2/2/21: Vet, in a town 35 miles away, mails a small package (dog Rx refill)
2/4/21: Informed delivery (ID) shows it at Memphis PO, 2/5 delivery expected
2/8/21: package in transit to Pittsburgh PA
2/10/21 package arrives Pittsburgh PA USPS sort facility
2/20/21 after 10 days in PA, package departs for Memphis USPS
2/22/21 package returns to Memphis PO (same location it was in 2/4/21)
2/24/21 package leaves Memphis and arrives at my suburban Memphis PO
2/25/21 package delivered.

Informed Delivery continued to indicate "expected delivery on 2/5" until 2/24
On 2/22 I drove the 35 miles to the vet's office to fill the Rx, since my dog has gone without this med for a week.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, rant on the postal service). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A member requested to post:
People should verify that their QCD checks have been received by their charities. Vanguard can tell you if your checks have been cashed. Otherwise, you can mail the check to the charity, and if the post office loses it, you would never know and just wonder why you never received an acknowledgement. The current law requires QCDs to be sent by paper check.
(Thread remains locked.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.