Storm-related Pipe Leak that Stopped after several days?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
creant

Storm-related Pipe Leak that Stopped after several days?

Post by creant »

During the recent storm, our faucets and shower on one side of the house froze. Over the next few days (still freezing/near freezing temps), there was a slowly enlarging water stain on the ceiling (1-2 cm/8 hours). I then cut a small hole in the ceiling and stuffed a few towels at the site. The towels became slowly wet over the next day, and I swapped new dry towels.

The storm was over the following day, the first warm day, when I worried the leak would increase in speed due to melting of any frozen pipes. However, the towels actually remained dry for next several days up to the present with no detectable signs of additional ceiling staining.

The plumber is coming out soon (after being called many days ago), but do the Bogleheads have any thoughts on what might be going on?
Investtoski

Re: Storm-related Pipe Leak that Stopped after several days?

Post by Investtoski »

Based on where the water was, could you have had ice dams leaking in rather than burst pipes?
Topic Author
creant

Post by creant »

Thanks for that idea - I was ignorant of this phenomenon. I think that is exactly it! There is a high ceiling skylight there with a separate higher water stain closer to that light. The insulation in this part of the house (laundry) is relatively poor as well.

Moving forward, other than adding insulation, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this when it snows (rare here)?

If I add extra heat to the room to keep the pipes from freezing, my understanding is that this would exacerbate the ice dam. If I keep the room unheated, I suspect this may increase the risk of pipes freezing (would running the water faster mitigate this problem?).
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

creant wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 am Moving forward, other than adding insulation, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this when it snows (rare here)?
The easiest ways to prevent ice dams from forming is to keep the roof as cold as possible. This can be done by adding more attic insulation, air sealing any ceiling penetrations and increasing air flow through increased attic ventilation.

More expensive solutions are to lay down an ice dam barrier on the bottom edges of your roof before you reshingle the house and also install heated cables on the lower reaches of your roof.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

creant wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 am Thanks for that idea - I was ignorant of this phenomenon. I think that is exactly it! There is a high ceiling skylight there with a separate higher water stain closer to that light. The insulation in this part of the house (laundry) is relatively poor as well.

Moving forward, other than adding insulation, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this when it snows (rare here)?

If I add extra heat to the room to keep the pipes from freezing, my understanding is that this would exacerbate the ice dam. If I keep the room unheated, I suspect this may increase the risk of pipes freezing (would running the water faster mitigate this problem?).
I tend to view all skylights as leaks. And all basements as "they will eventually flood". Just based on observations and personally experiences. When I moved to AZ years ago I assumed flooding wouldn't be an issue but then the landscape guy left a hose running in the front flower bed by the front bedroom window (low to the ground). I came home and walked into that room to hear "squish squish" and the 2 front rooms were flooded. So water and I have had a number of issues.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Check the flashing and, if old, consider replacing the skylight. Snow may be rare but even a driving rain at the correct angle could cause more leaking.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 am
creant wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 am Moving forward, other than adding insulation, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this when it snows (rare here)?
The easiest ways to prevent ice dams from forming is to keep the roof as cold as possible. This can be done by adding more attic insulation, air sealing any ceiling penetrations and increasing air flow through increased attic ventilation.

More expensive solutions are to lay down an ice dam barrier on the bottom edges of your roof before you reshingle the house and also install heated cables on the lower reaches of your roof.
This is excellent advice. And I'll just add if you have soffit vents in the overhang at the edge of your roof, be sure not to block those by pushing insulation into the eaves and reducing cold air flow into the attic. You can also buy styrofoam baffles at most building supply stores to keep an open path for airflow if the insulation gets too high