Anyone planning on traveling after vaccine?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Anyone planning on traveling after vaccine?

Post by retire14 »

2 weeks after a 2nd dose of vaccine, anyone is itching to travel again? And to where? We are dreaming of some place warm but still apprehensive.
Devil's Advocate

Re: Anyone planning on traveling after vaccine?

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Vegas next weekend, Alaska in July.

DA
Tigermoose

Post by Tigermoose »

We never stopped. Had Covid in December- very mild respiratory flu symptoms. We are very glad we did not lock ourselves down for a year over that.
Institutions matter
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

You'll still need to wear a mask everywhere you travel to because nobody will believe you are vaccinated yet... but don't be apprehensive to go somewhere.

I'll be fully 2x vaccinated + 2 weeks on March 18th... but everyone around me has zero vaccine yet... So I'm still stuck. 👎👎
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

retire14 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:51 pm 2 weeks after a 2nd dose of vaccine, anyone is itching to travel again? And to where? We are dreaming of some place warm but still apprehensive.
I have been traveling this entire time. No issues.
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc »

Yes. Aruba in 10 days.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:59 pm
retire14 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:51 pm 2 weeks after a 2nd dose of vaccine, anyone is itching to travel again? And to where? We are dreaming of some place warm but still apprehensive.
Haven't flown yet, but we have traveled multiple times in the past year. Did a beach vacation and some other closer trips. We're headed to Tahoe in June whether I'm vaccinated or not (wife already is).
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I will be taking car trips, staying in hotels as necessary but only eating takeout.

Destinations will be parks, etc. where I can stay well away from other people. I will keep a mask at hand for unavoidable encounters.

No air travel for a while yet.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I have a cruise booked for late July. Hoping that all in my party will be able to go.

Also eager to get back to Vegas, as that was one of 2020 trips that got scuttled.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Flight to Miami in the morning.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We took an RV trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons as well as a car/hotel trip to the Southwest last year. This year, we're planning on several RV trips in our newly purchased motorhome around the PNW. If we get the virus, so be it. Those are age and younger, including our daughter, are not at meaningful risk from it. We're at much greater risk of dying in a vehicle accident.
The Sensible Steward
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Wife never liked flying, so a good excuse for her to never do it again :)

We are planning two in-state road trips, one in June and one in September. Both to AIRBNB reserved house, literally both in the middle of nowhere.

We did travel at the peak of COVID for 4th of July weekend, however - by car, to the California coast.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Tigermoose wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm We never stopped. Had Covid in December- very mild respiratory flu symptoms. We are very glad we did not lock ourselves down for a year over that.
This. Elucidating would get this thread shut down. We have out of state trips scheduled for April and June.
mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 »

Got the second vaccine on Friday and going to Florida tomorrow and again in two weeks. Can't wait to travel again.
Topic Author
retire14

Post by retire14 »

uberdoc wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 pm Yes. Aruba in 10 days.
Thinking about this also. How are you planning for the tests to go back to the US?
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

As soon as we get vaccinated. I don't enjoy flying, but do like visiting other places. Hope we can get to/from Canada by summer.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Normchad wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:08 pm I have a cruise booked for late July. Hoping that all in my party will be able to go.

Also eager to get back to Vegas, as that was one of 2020 trips that got scuttled.
Cruising is the one thing I have little desire to ever do again. Although I admit I wasn't a big fan in the first place. Maybe an Alaskan cruise one day in the distant future.
checkyourmath

Post by checkyourmath »

retire14 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm
uberdoc wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 pm Yes. Aruba in 10 days.
Thinking about this also. How are you planning for the tests to go back to the US?
A few people will travel but if you look at the TSA numbers the vacation industry is going to be on hold until we figure out the new social norms. We are flying to Charleston in July with no other plans after that.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:59 pm
Same here, domestically and overseas. A marvelous time. Not looking forward to (relative) normalcy, tbh.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Same here since September, currently in Colombia. I do hope to get back to the US in mid-April and get vaccinated (and get the all-important vaccine paperwork).
How are you planning for the tests to go back to the US?
The US has (in my opinion) a reasonable requirement because it can be a PCR test or an antigen test (latter takes a finger prick for blood and gives results in 15 minutes). Many popular tourist destinations now offer antigen tests in the airport for departing visitors. The other good thing about an antigen test is the travelers tend to get these tests much closer to their departure time. Arranging a PCR test and getting the results back in time is more difficult and expensive.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Planning a trip to Italy as soon as they are open for business.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

As a reminder, covid risk discussion is off-topic for this forum. Several posts were deleted.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

We have an RV.

We’ve slept away from home so many nights over the last year I’ve lost count. Probably somewhere around 100.
Being wrong compounds forever.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I think the list would be shorter if you ask who isn't itching to travel.

Yes, we'd like to go. Family first, then vacations.
Van

Post by Van »

My wife and I agreed many months ago that we will not get on an airplane untilafter we have been vaccinated. We are 70 & 79 years of age.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Just local trips to camp areas. Still too much risk out there (especially with the South African variant). Can young kids fly if the parents have been vaccinated?
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Flown on two trips, both in US, since vaccination.

Did lots of trips prior to that, but they were all to wilderness locations.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think we're well past the peak of this in the US. We're averaging under 800 cases a day in Utah now and I'll bet we hit 100 a day before we hit 2000 a day.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Tigermoose

Post by Tigermoose »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 pm We have an RV.

We’ve slept away from home so many nights over the last year I’ve lost count. Probably somewhere around 100.
We took advantage of the “work from home” to spend 2 months last summer traveling around California in our RV. Planning some more trips now.
Institutions matter
Watty

Post by Watty »

How is the availability of campsite reservations?

I heard it second hand so I don't know how reliable it is but someone told me that their parents were having difficulty in finding any campsites. They have a large camper trailer they bought about a year before the pandemic.

I know that all the big parks fill up fast even in a normal year but it sounded like they were looking at lots of places without much luck.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Tigermoose wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:19 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 pm We have an RV.

We took advantage of the “work from home” to spend 2 months last summer traveling around California in our RV. Planning some more trips now.
National parks, and grail state parks too, have been really nice without foreign tourists. Hopefully this goes on through the summer. :sharebeer
Being wrong compounds forever.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Booked (with cancellation insurance) for Ireland in October.

Last Euro trip was to Italy, Oct 2019. Local ever since.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is locked for moderator review.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Some members choose not to follow CDC guidelines regarding the virus and travel, which is creating contentious discussion. Those posts have been removed. Threads from a few months ago were locked for this reason.

Apparently, it's still too soon to discuss travel plans. Let's hold off for a while. See: Personal Consumer Issues

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.