Changes to LastPass free

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
neuro84

Changes to LastPass free

Post by neuro84 »

I have been using LastPass to store all my passwords for about 5-6 years now, I think based on a recommendation from this forum originally. In that time the company has changed ownership once but I have remained satisfied with the product. Although I initially paid for the subscription version (this was $1/mo when I started), I later "downgraded" to free, since the free version did everything I needed it to do. However, now this is going to change soon, per an email I received today:
What's changing in LastPass Free?

Beginning March 16, 2021, LastPass Free will include access on one device type of your choice. The first device you login with on or after March 16 will set your active device type.

If you choose computer as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all computers in your life:
ALL Computer Devices
ALL desktop computers
ALL laptop computers

If you choose mobile as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all mobile devices in your life:
ALL Mobile Devices
ALL mobile phones
ALL tablets
ALL smartwatches
Of course, LastPass realizes that one of the major perks of having a password manager is the autofill function that saves typing on both PC and smartphone visits to websites and apps. Limiting free users to one or the other will force many to start subscribing.

While I still find their product appealing, this change has me looking around at other password managers - especially free or very cheap options - to see whether I might get the same functionality I currently get from LastPass from an alternate password manager. There have been multiple Bogleheads threads on this subject through the years, but I didn't find any recent discussion, so I hope my posting isn't too redundant.

Bitwarden has been mentioned in the past as being a good alternative to LastPass, and it has a free version. Does anyone have recent experience with Bitwarden?

Also, have you gone through the process of switching password managers, and if so, how painful is this?
runner3081

Re: Changes to LastPass free

Post by runner3081 »

Interesting. This is how it used to be and then they offered mobile for free.

I think you can still use a phone browser to lookup passwords. Clunky, but works in a pinch.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

neuro84 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am I have been using LastPass to store all my passwords for about 5-6 years now, I think based on a recommendation from this forum originally. In that time the company has changed ownership once but I have remained satisfied with the product. Although I initially paid for the subscription version (this was $1/mo when I started), I later "downgraded" to free, since the free version did everything I needed it to do. However, now this is going to change soon, per an email I received today:
What's changing in LastPass Free?

Beginning March 16, 2021, LastPass Free will include access on one device type of your choice. The first device you login with on or after March 16 will set your active device type.

If you choose computer as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all computers in your life:
ALL Computer Devices
ALL desktop computers
ALL laptop computers

If you choose mobile as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all mobile devices in your life:
ALL Mobile Devices
ALL mobile phones
ALL tablets
ALL smartwatches
Of course, LastPass realizes that one of the major perks of having a password manager is the autofill function that saves typing on both PC and smartphone visits to websites and apps. Limiting free users to one or the other will force many to start subscribing.

While I still find their product appealing, this change has me looking around at other password managers - especially free or very cheap options - to see whether I might get the same functionality I currently get from LastPass from an alternate password manager. There have been multiple Bogleheads threads on this subject through the years, but I didn't find any recent discussion, so I hope my posting isn't too redundant.

Bitwarden has been mentioned in the past as being a good alternative to LastPass, and it has a free version. Does anyone have recent experience with Bitwarden?

Also, have you gone through the process of switching password managers, and if so, how painful is this?
Annoying. I too would transfer to another free company if it was easy to do. Can't imagine it's easy at all.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
supersecretname

Post by supersecretname »

ugh. no bueno
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

Interested in hearing others answers.

*Logged in from a mobile device using LastPass
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Funny - I just signed up for LP a week ago. It is pretty clunky and I'm getting used to it. In fact I've gone security crazy - I was so lax before now I'm encrypting drives, setting screen locks etc. Just when I thought I had my security nailed I found I needed a certain credit card - so I went to the little pen box on my office desk full of Credit cards and Debit cards (that I don't use - but are tied to valid accounts) - I'm like DOH! So I've hidden all of those.

My plan was to go with Premium anyhow - since it is my wife and I - I just hope I can get her on board. I need it for my iPhone and PCs (Mac and Windows.)

Its a great service and known as one of the best and most secure - though I read a very good criticism of it - to which they have mostly patched the risks identified - there are some outstanding - but far from super risky. Based on that - I've disabled all the OneTimePasswords in the two Browsers (LP plugin) that I use to access LP. So no temp passwords laying around (vulnerability) - if I lose my master password - hey that is on me.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

A few months ago after researching a lot, I decided to leave LastPass for good. I first tried Bitwarden, didn't like its limitations, especially when it came to sharing the passwords. They have a weird system, where sharing is not really sharing, but instead, it is moving the entire ownership of your password to another user! Also didn't like that they don't have many categories to choose from. I then tried 1Password and found it was way much better. I never regret the move. It is one of the best subscriptions I have!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

sperry8 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 am
neuro84 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am I have been using LastPass to store all my passwords for about 5-6 years now, I think based on a recommendation from this forum originally. In that time the company has changed ownership once but I have remained satisfied with the product. Although I initially paid for the subscription version (this was $1/mo when I started), I later "downgraded" to free, since the free version did everything I needed it to do. However, now this is going to change soon, per an email I received today:

Annoying. I too would transfer to another free company if it was easy to do. Can't imagine it's easy at all.

Surprisingly easier than you'd think. I use Lastpass, but trialed bitwarden last year. You can bulk copy your passwords from lastpass into bitwarden.

For what it is worth, I found lastpass to have a better user interface, so didn't switch.

This price change will likely have me switch.
bob991

Post by bob991 »

I've been using the free version for many years now. I'm going to just pay the $27/yr, I feel like I owe them and I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

bob991 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:50 am I've been using the free version for many years now. I'm going to just pay the $27/yr, I feel like I owe them and I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing.
Makes sense. I mean if you trust them - and now they need money to make the product better and more secure we all win.
supersecretname

Post by supersecretname »

I'll probably just pony up also - it's not that much money. The emergency access is a nice feature, which I would encourage everyone to set up.
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

Agree on Bitwarden being clunky after coming from LastPass. It works ok but LastPass was a bit more seamless in how things worked for better or worse. I'm not sure I'll get the rest of the household ever onboard with it. If its just you, I'd say go for it!

For the family plans, it looks to be a toss up with all around $40/year.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I'll just keep an eye on things. I have never used LastPass on anything except my desktop PC, so this change affects me in no way.

I understand there are needs to monetize freebies by those offering them. I moved to LastPass from RoboForm due to the changes in RoboForm's offering.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
seymore92

Post by seymore92 »

bob991 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:50 am I've been using the free version for many years now. I'm going to just pay the $27/yr, I feel like I owe them and I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing.
I would too, though their pricing has increased at least twice in the recent past. 1/2017 - $12/yr. 1/2019 I renewed at $24/yr and by 1/2020 it was $36/yr. At that point I downgraded to Lastpass Free.

https://www.bruceb.com/2019/06/lastpass ... m-logmein/
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I downloaded Bitwarden's free version a little while ago to compare to LastPass free. So far, it appears to have the same usability and features as the free version of LastPass. My impression is that Bitwarden will likely meet the needs of any who are currently using the free version of LastPass.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

neuro84 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am In that time the company has changed ownership once but I have remained satisfied with the product.
When LastPass changed ownership, I switched to Bitwarden because I suspected a change to LP would come. Transition was super easy following tutorial. No more right click to fill in password. But keyboard shortcut (ctrl-shift-L) works fine.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I got the same message this morning. Been using it the free for years.
The problem with moving to a competing free version, it will probably become a subscription based too just like Lastpass has now become.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:23 am Interesting. This is how it used to be and then they offered mobile for free.

I think you can still use a phone browser to lookup passwords. Clunky, but works in a pinch.
Has anyone confirmed that browser access from the "wrong" device type will still work? I'm not sure how to know that without it already being restricted.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

squirm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am The problem with moving to a competing free version, it will probably become a subscription based too just like Lastpass has now become.
It might, but it literally took me less than five minutes to sign up for Bitwarden, install the browser extension, download and install the app, set-up the app to auto-fill on my mobile and export my LastPass passwords and then import them into Bitwarden.

So one can stay and pay or just switch to Bitwarden's free version with the understanding that features and/or costs could change in the future. :beer
squirm

Post by squirm »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 am
squirm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am The problem with moving to a competing free version, it will probably become a subscription based too just like Lastpass has now become.
It might, but it literally took me less than five minutes to sign up for Bitwarden, install the browser extension, download and install the app, set-up the app to auto-fill on my mobile and export my LastPass passwords and then import them into Bitwarden.

So one can stay and pay or just switch to Bitwarden's free version with the understanding that features and/or costs could change in the future. :beer
Cool, thanks for that. I might switch myself, I thought it would be a pain. Thanks again.
blueman2

Post by blueman2 »

Interestingly, I tried to upgrade to Premium, but their site has been down. Cannot even log into my account. You would think they would have planned for this new level of traffic? Does not give me much confidence in LastPass.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I too received the same email. I guess I'm in a holding pattern for now. I don't use LastPass on any important financial sites on my mobile phone but I do occasionally use it on some non-important stuff that I have to re-input the password from time to time after an app or phone software upgrade. If it becomes to cumbersome, I will most likely be changing to something else.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Does Bitwarden allow you to add note histories like LastPass does?

Does it allow you to also import your existing note histories from LastPass? (not even sure if you can export the notes History of LastPass - probably should check)

I find the notes/history capability of Last Pass to be the most useful thing about it... I have years of notes and stuff within.

Are there other alternatives to consider aside from Bitwarden?
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

noraz123 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am

Surprisingly easier than you'd think. I use Lastpass, but trialed bitwarden last year. You can bulk copy your passwords from lastpass into bitwarden.

For what it is worth, I found lastpass to have a better user interface, so didn't switch.

That's good to know. I wonder if the switch to 1password is as easy?
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

squirm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:29 am
galawdawg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 am So one can stay and pay or just switch to Bitwarden's free version with the understanding that features and/or costs could change in the future. :beer
Cool, thanks for that. I might switch myself, I thought it would be a pain. Thanks again.
FYI, https://bitwarden.com/help/article/impo ... -lastpass/ It's pretty straight forward.
blueman2

Post by blueman2 »

I was not able to log into their system to upgrade my account, but I was able to just create a new account using another email I have. I just exported password file from my old account, imported it into my new account, and now can have one for Mobile devices and one for PCs. Only issue is syncing across the 2 every few weeks or months as needed.

But I will probably upgrade anyway at some point.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Sounds similar to what Dropbox did (started limiting access to less devices trying to encourage people to pay for it). I've paid for lastpass for a while now and the fee is pretty minimal in my opinion. Many things that were free end up either costing money or being closed down/sold.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 am
runner3081 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:23 am Interesting. This is how it used to be and then they offered mobile for free.

Has anyone confirmed that browser access from the "wrong" device type will still work? I'm not sure how to know that without it already being restricted.
Back when they limited it to computer only and no mobile on the free plan, I could use the browser on my phone to access the site, but not the mobile app.
seymore92

Post by seymore92 »

The better business model for LastPass is to offer $0 subscriptions and sell login flow to front runners.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

acegolfer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 am
squirm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:29 am
galawdawg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 am So one can stay and pay or just switch to Bitwarden's free version with the understanding that features and/or costs could change in the future. :beer
FYI, https://bitwarden.com/help/article/impo ... -lastpass/ It's pretty straight forward.
It appears Bitwarden also supports biometric login on the browser extension with their free version. :happy

LastPass only supports that feature in their paid versions.
mhalley

Last pass nerfing free tier

Post by mhalley »

[merged into existing thread - moderator prudent]

I know there are many lastpass users here and thought this info would be useful.
https://gizmodo.com/lastpass-is-serious ... 1846278777
Starting March 16, you’ll only be able to use one type of gadget. To make matters worse, beginning May 17, free users will also lose e-mail support as well.

As a free user, your first login on or after March 16 will set your active device type,” reads LastPass’s blog announcing the change. “You’ll have three opportunities to switch your active device type to explore what’s right for you.”

As a kicker, free users will also lose the ability to receive customer support for technical issues over email beginning May 17. LastPass says they’ll still have access to its Support Center, which “has a robust library of self-help resources” and access to LastPass Community forums that are “actively monitored by LastPass specialists.” Basically, it’s an ultimatum to free users to either fix issues themselves or pay up
I use keepass and mobile apps based on it myself.
avidracer

Post by avidracer »

I recently migrated to Bitwarden (before this announcement) - it was seamless. Was able to download the list from lastpass and (relatively easy) import into Bitwarden. If you are on the fence, you can start with your secondary browser (or profile).

It said you can use dropbox or such to store your profile, I have not tried any of the advertised special/advanced functions yet.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

sperry8 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:53 am
noraz123 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am

That's good to know. I wonder if the switch to 1password is as easy?
I switched from LP to BW to 1P, yes, transitioning is easy among the 3
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

I don't mind paying for a better product, but if the alternatives are just as good, I'm not going to stick with them.
Bcdkgf

Post by Bcdkgf »

Our family is going to the family plan, $4.00/month includes up to six people. We have 5. Both children work in I.T., we have many kinds of devices and we do share passwords. The daughter will manage it for all of us. Sometimes you have to pay the piper.
Women and men plan, the Gods laugh.
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CCD

Post by CCD »

Do you guys know if you can share passwords with another user with the free version of Bitwarden?

Thanks,
CC
czaj

Post by czaj »

Agree with others that Bitwarden was easy to switch to and appears to work as well for me as Lastpass did.
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

czaj wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:46 pm Agree with others that Bitwarden was easy to switch to and appears to work as well for me as Lastpass did.
Have you tried Bitwarden on an android phone? Lastpass is hit or miss for me on the App fills and often requires re-login.
czaj

Post by czaj »

CCD wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm Do you guys know if you can share passwords with another user with the free version of Bitwarden?

Thanks,
CC
Looks like it can be accomplished by setting up an organization

https://bitwarden.com/blog/post/whats- ... passwords/
czaj

Post by czaj »

mervinj7 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 pm
czaj wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:46 pm Agree with others that Bitwarden was easy to switch to and appears to work as well for me as Lastpass did.
Have you tried Bitwarden on an android phone? Lastpass is hit or miss for me on the App fills and often requires re-login.
Have not tried on Android. Only iPhone and PC
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

mervinj7 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 pm
I have and so far it works flawlessly. For some reason, Lastpass seemed to have trouble (particularly with logging in to Bogleheads :shock: ).
seymore92

Post by seymore92 »

Based on the advice in this thread, I migrated from LastPass to Bitwarden (free) on MacBook Pro (chrome browser) and iOS and it was quite seamless (about 6 minutes in all).

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/impo ... -lastpass/
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I've been using Bitwarden on a Windows 10 PC, Chromebook, and Android phone for maybe two years, after migrating from LastPass. I've been happy with it, and pay $10/year for a Premium account to help support the open-source effort. I rarely use the Win 10 client - it's usually easier to just use the browser extension for the rare non-browsing password or secure note lookup.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I like KeePass. It's free. It's Open Source. It's file based, so I use DropBox to sync my file on all my devices. In addition to passwords, I store scans of key documents like my passport, driver's license, insurance cards, etc.
z91

Post by z91 »

I'm more upset they made it not worth paying (I paid $1/month, then switched to free) but now they are charging more than double. I'm going to switch just out of principal.
go140point6

Post by go140point6 »

made the switch to Bitwarden today... will test it out on free for bit, definitely considering paying $10 for the premium... might take a closer look at other competitors as well, but Bitwarden Free seems pretty much equivalent to what I was using with LastPass Free (once you configure a few options in Bitwarden).

the way LastPass is changing the free account makes it pretty much unusable for most users I imagine... no way I'm rewarding them with this bait-and-switch by upgrading to their premium service.

For those thinking of leaving LastPass, better export your stuff asap... they start to bleed users, and maybe the export feature becomes a premium feature all of a sudden like the security scan recently did... and once you are sure you have everything, don't forget to delete your account. No good leaving your stuff out there on their servers (and maybe you'll be asked why you are leaving and can let them know).
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

$27/yr? I'll just pay it, useful product and I need it on both and I don't want to resetup everything on a new platform that I may not even like
b4nash

Post by b4nash »

Been using LastPass for 11 years, including as a paid subscriber for a few but I'm switching. Interestingly, Microsoft and Apple have made announcements regarding their own cross platform password managers in the past few weeks (Microsoft adding a password manager to their Authenticator app and Apple adding a Chrome browser extension to support iCloud keychain).