Urgent passport issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sleepydoc99

Urgent passport issue

Post by Sleepydoc99 »

I’m supposed to go out of country on the 20th with family for vacation. My two kids and I (8 and 9) just saw that our passports are expired by two months. My wife and baby’s passports are fine.

This trip is extremely important for my family. Given my inflexible work schedule, I won’t be able to reschedule. I cannot emphasize how torn I am about this.

It seems that passport agency is appointment only, and no appointment is available anywhere in the nation. Expedited passport companies can’t help either. I’m willing to drive/fly/pay anything. Does anyone have any experience post covid with this situation?
pizzy

Re: Urgent passport issue

Post by pizzy »

Call 18774872778 on Tuesday at 8am.

If they can’t help you, no one can.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

You could call the number the other poster listed above. Depends what part of the country you are in as to where you will need to drive, but you will need to go in person. Perhaps call your rep?
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
30west

Post by 30west »

My employer uses a passport expediting service and my last renewal only took about 10 days. But you will need to apply in person with both kids and both parents in order to renew a minors passport.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

So you planned an out-of-country vacation for February 20 and didn't think to be sure you have valid passports until now, six days before departure?? :oops:

Have you checked all of the COVID-related international travel restrictions as well as the COVID test requirements of both the US for re-entry and each of the foreign nations you intend to enter?

Are you a US citizen traveling by car to Canada or Mexico? If so, look at the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative for the documents that are accepted for entry in lieu of a passport: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/ ... ative/faqs

If you are traveling by air, I'm afraid it is very likely you will not be able to travel. Your only possible hope is as follows (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... id-19.html):
Urgent Travel Service: Some agencies and centers are also offering extremely limited appointments for customers who have urgent international travel in the next 72 hours (3 business days) for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency. To try to make an appointment, visit our Online Appointment System first. The date of your appointment must be within 3 business days of your international travel. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 10 business days of your international travel. Because appointments are extremely limited, you may not be able to make one on your first try.

Call wait times are longer than usual. If you call us to try to make an appointment, understand that customer service representatives do not have access to an alternate reservation system. What you see online is what they will share with you by phone.
If, as you say, there are "no appointment is available anywhere in the nation. Expedited passport companies can’t help either", then you should consider cancelling your international travel plans perhaps in favor of a domestic vacation. This may just be an unfortunate life lesson...
30west

Post by 30west »

My employer uses a passport expediting service for mail in renewals, But you will need to apply in person with both kids and both parents in order to renew a minors passport. Your success will hinge on finding an appointment for in person same day renewal. You can search for available apointmends online right now, but with covid they are hard to come by. Consider flying to another city for an appointment if you have to. Goodluck..
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Contact your congress person. They sometimes can assist.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Precovid we had this problem (one of our passports hadn't expired but had less than 6 months left preventing travel). No appointments available. We simply went to our nearest city federal building and asked for help - got a new passport within a couple of hours. It was a little known fact they allow walkins - not sure if you can still get away with this post covid but it is worth a try. Bring your plane ticket info with you to show you are already lined up to go.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Have you tried to make an appointment at every passport agency in the US https://passportappointment.travel.state.gov/

Do you have all necessary documentation?
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

FYI for the passports that aren’t expired, make sure they are good for 6 months past the departure date. Many countries may not let you enter if your passport is within 6 months of expiring.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Sleepydoc99 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:29 am I’m supposed to go out of country on the 20th with family for vacation. My two kids and I (8 and 9) just saw that our passports are expired by two months. My wife and baby’s passports are fine.
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but even if wife and baby's passports have not expired, you should also check the requirements for the country you're visiting to make sure you have enough blank pages in their passports. There is often a requirement that you have a certain number of blank pages or you won't be able to enter (six is not uncommon). Also, make sure that there is enough unexpired time left on their passports; many if not most countries will require that your passports be valid for a certain number of months past your return home.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I would be a little bit surprised if you can get this done for non-essential travel right now. I had to travel internationally a couple of months ago for work, and our normal passport/visa processing company was unable to help with much of anything due to Covid restrictions and closures.

As noted by someone else above, have you checked the covid testing requirements for all countries you will be connecting or traveling through? For us this was the most complicated aspect of the trip as you were required to have documentation of a negative test within 72 hours of boarding any flight. Even though we live in perhaps the best county in the country for testing, and it worked out, there was essentially no way to guarantee that you could get those results back and you’d have to re-schedule if you didn’t get them in time.
Topic Author
Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 »

Thx everyone.

It seems unlikely that I will get this issue resolved. Might be an expensive lesson. It does seem silly that this is an issue... it’s a blank piece of paper in a blue book. Very frustrating.

The Covid test part, we handled. We have plans in place for appropriate testing etc. things have gotten very efficient in that regard. Even 30 min tests available free of charge.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Sleepydoc99 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:45 am Thx everyone.

It seems unlikely that I will get this issue resolved. Might be an expensive lesson. It does seem silly that this is an issue... it’s a blank piece of paper in a blue book. Very frustrating.

The Covid test part, we handled. We have plans in place for appropriate testing etc. things have gotten very efficient in that regard. Even 30 min tests available free of charge.
Sleepydoc99 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:29 am My two kids and I (8 and 9) just saw that our passports are expired by two months. My wife and baby’s passports are fine.
On the off chance that your wife and baby still take this trip (e.g., if it was to visit her family, etc.), please make sure that you double check that she has the necessary (or possibly necessary) documentation that she has the permission of "the other parent" to take the child across international borders.

One usually needs things like a copy of the child's birth certificate, a notarized statement by the "other parent" that there is permission to take the child on this particular trip, etc.
If the surnames don't all match, a few extra documents may be needed.

I think the US State Dept may have some forms/information. If not, "Google is your friend".
Check requirements of the country she'll be going to (she'll need to leave that country with the child, too, obviously), and perhaps any countries in transit.
(This is usually for purposes to try to prevent both child trafficking and child kidnapping by non-custodial parents, etc.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Are the 30 minute tests of the appropriate type? In our case, those quick tests were indeed available, but they were not acceptable to the airlines/countries we were flying to. The test had to be a PCR type which (at the time) required a 2-7 day wait for results.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I would not throw the towel in yet, call your Congressman and Senators to see if they can help. Contact the State Department, and as somebody mentioned above, they might allow walk-ins.

Same day passports do exist, but it's going to be an all-day affair b/c you generally have to wait for the thing to be printed.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

This doesn't help the OP, but I maintain a document that lists expirations (in addition to annual/monthly "to do" things). I.e. passports of my wife and I, passports of our minor children, State ID cards, drivers licenses, ham radio license, concealed carry license, etc. The beginning of each year I'll make a note of them on the kitchen calendar so I don't forget. I've always had a fear of pulling out what I thought was a valid document, only to find it's expired.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

My experience with a passport expediting agency was not a good one. They ended up not getting the job done and we had to cancel the trip. They used shady, possibly illegal tactics - they created a false itenary as justification for expediting.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

What city are you in. Are you close to a city that issues (actually prints) passports? Eg Miami, atlanta, NYC, LA?

My wife found out the night before a trip that her passport was expired. By noon the next day she was set.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 pm What city are you in. Are you close to a city that issues (actually prints) passports? Eg Miami, atlanta, NYC, LA?

My wife found out the night before a trip that her passport was expired. By noon the next day she was set.
Was this precovid?
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

There is a special queue for "life or death emergencies", although with some strict conditions:

"You may be eligible for an appointment if your immediate family member has died or is seriously ill or injured while abroad and you need to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days). Immediate family members include parents, legal guardians, children, spouses, siblings, and grandparents."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ncies.html
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

hi_there wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:11 pm There is a special queue for "life or death emergencies", although with some strict conditions:

"You may be eligible for an appointment if your immediate family member has died or is seriously ill or injured while abroad and you need to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days). Immediate family members include parents, legal guardians, children, spouses, siblings, and grandparents."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ncies.html
Hopefully those expedite services are not using this special queue when unwarrented... :shock:
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:06 pm
TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 pm What city are you in. Are you close to a city that issues (actually prints) passports? Eg Miami, atlanta, NYC, LA?

Was this precovid?
Good question. It was pre-covid. However, I would expect that the service still exists.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:25 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Was this precovid?
Good question. It was pre-covid. However, I would expect that the service still exists.
No idea if it does, but I know getting emergency passports for US citizens abroad was rough, at least a few months ago.
agnielson

Post by agnielson »

I ran into a similar situation two years ago with a vacation planned for The Netherlands and fortunately was able to travel with my family after all. Depending on your circumstances, you may just have a few extra steps.

I discovered six days prior to leaving my passport would expire about a month after my vacation. The Schengen Area only accepts passports that expire six months after arrival. You'd think that wouldn't apply for a short, one-week vacation, but I didn't want to risk flying to Amsterdam and being placed on the next plane home. I also read conflicting information on the efficacy of passport expediting companies, so I opted to not go that route.

So I located the nearest Passport Agency, which happened to be one state over. I made an appointment online, gathered my documents, took a passport photo, flew that evening and stayed overnight at the cheapest hotel nearby. As recommended on Google Map reviews for that facility, I showed up 45 minutes prior to opening and was fifth in line. The staff was kind and courteous, took my documentation and promised to have a new passport available in a hour. I had my new passport in my hands in the promised timeframe and was able to fly home that afternoon on an earlier flight.

It was a pain in the butt to take care of at the time, but looking back it's a funny anecdote to a fun vacation experience with my family. I hope you are able to make something work and salvage your vacation. Good luck!
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Sound like something that would happen to me!

Any luck with renewal? I hope you can resolve this issue and vacation as planned.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Topic Author
Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 »

OP here:

Went on a wonderful vacation to Jamaica with the passport issue resolved. Just getting the appointment was hard, VERY HARD, but my state senator office was able to help me.

It did cost me in higher fees for the kids and I, one day lost work to drive 3 hours one way to the passport agency, and certain other expenses that I can’t talk about. But it worked.

Thank you to certain people who told me that it’s possible!
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

Sleepydoc99 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:54 pm OP here:

Went on a wonderful vacation to Jamaica with the passport issue resolved. Just getting the appointment was hard, VERY HARD, but my state senator office was able to help me.

It did cost me in higher fees for the kids and I, one day lost work to drive 3 hours one way to the passport agency, and certain other expenses that I can’t talk about. But it worked.

Ok now you just have everyone intrigued. Spill the beans!
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

I just sent my application for a passport book and card replacement in late January. The passport center received it in early February. I just got a notice that I should receive it in the mail in early March. Just a normal non-expedited request. Originally I was told 10-12 weeks. For me more like 5 weeks. Not bad for government work.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Rudy Tooty wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 pm I just sent my application for a passport book and card replacement in late January. The passport center received it in early February. I just got a notice that I should receive it in the mail in early March. Just a normal non-expedited request. Originally I was told 10-12 weeks. For me more like 5 weeks. Not bad for government work.
Funny. My wife’s renewal is going on 10 weeks and still no passport.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

You contacted your state senators office so you could go on vacation to Jamaica in the middle of Covid? Is this a joke?
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:59 am Contact your congress person. They sometimes can assist.
In the case of emergency travel, yes. But not to vacation to Jamaica because someone forgot their passport expiration date.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

JonnyDVM wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 am
Rudy Tooty wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 pm I just sent my application for a passport book and card replacement in late January. The passport center received it in early February. I just got a notice that I should receive it in the mail in early March. Just a normal non-expedited request. Originally I was told 10-12 weeks. For me more like 5 weeks. Not bad for government work.
Mail application for passport renewal Jan 23. USPS first class, non-expedited service. Check cleared Jan 27. New passport received yesterday, Feb 27.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Curious, how easy is it to get state senator attention and how do they make it happen?

You call their office, talk to their staff, senator calls you back and they know who the admin is in passport office?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

"certain other expenses that I can’t talk about"

Re-election campaign donation
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

This reminds me of a sign we used to have hanging in our office.

"Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On Mine"
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

November 2025 - Note to self: Renew kid's passports.

Or, put a Post-It on the front of each noting the expiration date, that way each time you go to use them in the future you're reminded. Glad to hear it worked out though!
rob

Post by rob »

Orangutan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 am

You contacted your state senators office so you could go on vacation to Jamaica in the middle of Covid? Is this a joke?
No... The joke is that it appears to have solved the issue....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
1nv3s70r

Post by 1nv3s70r »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:49 am
Mail application for passport renewal Jan 23. USPS first class, non-expedited service. Check cleared Jan 27. New passport received yesterday, Feb 27.
You won the lottery, that is nothing short of miraculous.

We made mistake of mailing priority (asked for express, lady at counter screwed it up and just put it priority) mid Feb, and its stuck in transit for 2 weeks with no updates anyone can give.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Doesn't seem to be a joke. Does seem rather outrageous on a number of levels.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

clip651 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:14 am

Doesn't seem to be a joke. Does seem rather outrageous on a number of levels.

Completely agree.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

helloeveryone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:51 am Curious, how easy is it to get state senator attention and how do they make it happen?

You call their office, talk to their staff, senator calls you back and they know who the admin is in passport office?
Every Senator has a constituent services office that can help grease the wheels of government. There are staff that specialize in this area and the Senator probably has no idea they even called. The staffers deal a lot with passports/visas, social security, the IRS, and other agencies and offices that interact heavily with the public. On the other side, the executive agencies have legislative affairs offices that help, too.

Weather international travel at the height of a global pandemic is the ethical I’ll leave to other people. I’m sure the staffer in the Senator’s office was probably glad to do something they could actually help with for a change helped, though.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:49 am
They definitely cashed the check several weeks back but still no passport. Curiously, the kids passports came rather quickly. We’re not traveling until May so no need to call in a favor with my senator 😂

“Hey, remember that $25 I sent to help get you elected? ....it’s payback time”
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns