Cheap Passport Photos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
myfrogger

Re: Cheap Passport Photos

Post by myfrogger »

Consider using the app called "Passport Booth"
Easy and affordable when I've used it
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Theres apps that take passport photos. You stand against a white wall, take the pic, then send the photo to a place like costco, cvs, etc. It will print out on a 4x6 then you cut it out. Costs less than $0.15.
Jb526

Post by Jb526 »

I performed the entire process (passport application, photograph, check payments, etc.) at my local U.S. Post Office and got it done. Took minimal time, and the costs were all reasonable. Even got a duplicate photo included to keep.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

My county clerk provides $10 passport photos in conjunction with the passport submittal process. I find that it takes less time and marginally cheaper.

They run a tight ship so it is fast and easy.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

ShadowCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons). Passport photos appear to cost around $15 per person at Walgreens which seems like a scam. Lots of sketchy websites online advertising cheaper costs but I'd be more willing to trust them if someone here has personal experience.
If you have AAA you can get it for free.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Anyone used any of these sites or apps successfully to take a baby passport photo?

Maybe I'm being too nit-picky with it, but I'm having a hard time.

I think our intake center doesn't even require masks anymore, so we want to minimize time baby is there (they do offer photos for $10, plus I think baby will be crying if they are taking it).
Ani

Post by Ani »

If you are good with computers

1. take a photo against any background

2. go to remove.bg and edit photo to remove the background and make it white.

3. go to travel.state.gov photo composition tool to crop it into acceptable size

4. then go to 123passportphoto to get the photo on a 4by 6 format---

5. get it printed at walgreens for a couple cents. :sharebeer
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Ani wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:50 pm If you are good with computers

1. take a photo against any background

2. go to remove.bg and edit photo to remove the background and make it white.

3. go to travel.state.gov photo composition tool to crop it into acceptable size

4. then go to 123passportphoto to get the photo on a 4by 6 format---

5. get it printed at walgreens for a couple cents. :sharebeer
I thought based on travel.state.gov you are not allowed to digitally manipulate photos. Wouldn’t removing the background be such a manipulation?

EDIT: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... hotos.html, under "Resolution, Print Size, and Quality" says "Do not digitally change the photo" and further down they specifically mention NOT to do digital red eye reduction. Wouldn't removing the background be such a manipulation?
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Pay the $30 dollars to Walgreens and move on with your life. Is it worth the extra time and the chance that whatever solution you come up with gets rejected?
Ani

Post by Ani »

I don't think so.

I did it and it worked.

They don't want you to manipulate the way you look. You're not manipulating the way you look by making the background white.

or just get it done professionally. :happy
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:30 pm Anyone used any of these sites or apps successfully to take a baby passport photo?

I think our intake center doesn't even require masks anymore, so we want to minimize time baby is there (they do offer photos for $10, plus I think baby will be crying if they are taking it).
Just find a white background (we used our wall) and take a bunch of pictures. Find the best one and used a website like this one (https://www.idphoto4you.com/) to crop the photo to the proper size. You can either use your own photo printer, or take the photo on a thumb drive and print it out at any number of retailers that offer photo printing (pharmacies, etc.).
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:30 pm Anyone used any of these sites or apps successfully to take a baby passport photo?

Just find a white background (we used our wall) and take a bunch of pictures. Find the best one and used a website like this one (https://www.idphoto4you.com/) to crop the photo to the proper size. You can either use your own photo printer, or take the photo on a thumb drive and print it out at any number of retailers that offer photo printing (pharmacies, etc.).
I tried doing this and there were always shadows and lighting issues. I walked a block to Walgreens and it was taken care of quickly. I don’t think it’s worth the risk to save $30.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Orangutan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:13 pm

I tried doing this and there were always shadows and lighting issues. I walked a block to Walgreens and it was taken care of quickly. I don’t think it’s worth the risk to save $30.
My spouse and I were both able to get decent photos using this method, our passport applications were approved and we have them in hand. Definitely worth a shot to try to take some photos first before shelling out $, free to take photos.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Make sure the flash is forced on with the phone/camera and you're standing pretty close to the subject in order to get the photo up to spec anyway. Flash will fill out any shadows. Passport photo apps will help you compose the picture properly.

Been thru 5 passport renewals DIY with print at CVS/Walgreens with no issues from State.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Taking your baby's photo in the comfort of your home is so much better than going into a Walgreens. Follow the advice below taken directly from the State Dept's FAQ. Then use any of the apps to properly crop the photo and create a 4x6 inch photo that you can later print at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc.
What's the best way to take a photo of a baby or toddler?

When taking a photo of your baby or toddler, no other person should be in the photo.

Lay your baby on his or her back on a plain white or off-white sheet. Make certain there are no shadows on your baby's face, especially if you take a picture from above. Covering a car seat with a plain white or off-white sheet and taking a picture of your child in the car seat may also be helpful.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... hotos.html
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

I found this hilarious photo that's crazy enough that it might work.

EddyB

Post by EddyB »

jayjayc wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:21 pm
Taking your baby's photo in the comfort of your home is so much better than going into a Walgreens. Follow the advice below taken directly from the State Dept's FAQ. Then use any of the apps to properly crop the photo and create a 4x6 inch photo that you can later print at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc.
What's the best way to take a photo of a baby or toddler?

When taking a photo of your baby or toddler, no other person should be in the photo.

Lay your baby on his or her back on a plain white or off-white sheet. Make certain there are no shadows on your baby's face, especially if you take a picture from above. Covering a car seat with a plain white or off-white sheet and taking a picture of your child in the car seat may also be helpful.
My finger was in my oldest son’s first passport photo. It gave me a strange joy.

My wife had a very disappointing set of photo booth pictures for her ID card, so for her passport she spent about twenty bucks on photos from a guy who does tons of them; she was really happy with them!
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

jayjayc wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:29 pm I found this hilarious photo that's crazy enough that it might work.

Wow, that's actually genius!
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

15 bucks is nothing -I did CVS - super convenient (15 minutes top) - I'm sure Costco would be a pain - likely a wait or something - our CVS is always pretty empty.

I would buy them and not take any chances as you will not get the passport for perhaps upwards of 4-6 months - and there is no person you can contact when you need info - you are at the mercy of the govmt.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

rebellovw wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:43 pm 15 bucks is nothing -I did CVS - super convenient (15 minutes top) - I'm sure Costco would be a pain - likely a wait or something - our CVS is always pretty empty.

I would buy them and not take any chances as you will not get the passport for perhaps upwards of 4-6 months - and there is no person you can contact when you need info - you are at the mercy of the govmt.
For me with baby photos it is not the price but limiting exposure of unvaccinated child to potential COVID risk. I would gladly pay someone $15 to take baby passport photos as I think I've spent (not kidding) at least 4 hours now on this task.

EDITED TO ADD: I live in a part of the country where COVID is not taken super seriously, and things like masking are pretty much gone in most places.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Just pointing out the person taking the photo at CVS/Walgreens is not didn't go thru a certification course on taking passport photo. If they mess up, which they can, you can complaint to CVS all you want but you still have to deal with the passport wait.

Those claiming DIY is at risk of taking an unacceptable picture is just fearmongering especially these days with numerous passport photo apps readily available.

This is not rocket science. If you can use tax software to do your 1040, you can use a passport photo app.

Just keep a look out for the common errors provided.

mrjohnanderson007

Post by mrjohnanderson007 »

Did mine at Walmart a 4 months back. I can't remember the price. Maybe $15. Yeah you could do it yourself for less but you're going to spend more time than it's worth to save a few bucks. Think of how much time you spent reading these replys when you could already be out the door and done for $15.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

seawolf21 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Make sure the flash is forced on with the phone/camera and you're standing pretty close to the subject in order to get the photo up to spec anyway. Flash will fill out any shadows. Passport photo apps will help you compose the picture properly.

Been thru 5 passport renewals DIY with print at CVS/Walgreens with no issues from State.
Shadows have been the thorn in my side while doing this! Any additional tips for dealing with shadows?
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
fullham

Post by fullham »

My last passport photo was taken at Walgreens and got rejected, I don’t think it was taken from close enough iirc. I went back to Walgreens and had them retake it and was accepted the second time. Not a big deal other than the delay, but don’t just assume that a store taken passport photo will be accepted.

We recently had to provide passport photos for my spouse and I in applying for her green card and I used an app that is just called “Passport Photo”. It is pretty hard to screw up if your read the instructions. While this was sent to USCIS instead of the State Dept, I can’t see any reason why it would have been rejected for a passport.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

I went to Staples over the summer and everything went fine (new passport received, so no issues with the photo quality, etc.) I guess I hadn't considered at the time the possibility of Staples not complying with State Department requirements.

I no longer recall the price. Maybe $12 or so? The location was convenient for me and there was virtually no wait. I'm satisfied.
kenai

Post by kenai »

StevieG72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Shadows have been the thorn in my side while doing this! Any additional tips for dealing with shadows?
I go to my bathroom which has bright white lights overhead and light colored walls. I place myself in front of the mirror which has also has lights on top and move around the bathroom until the shadows on my face goes away. I use my iPhone to take a selfie doing this. Then I brighten the photo, remove the background and crop the photo per requirements.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

ShadowCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons). Passport photos appear to cost around $15 per person at Walgreens which seems like a scam. Lots of sketchy websites online advertising cheaper costs but I'd be more willing to trust them if someone here has personal experience.
This is how I do it for mailing in:

Follow the passport requirements. Get a nice light colored wall with sufficient lighting. Take digital pictures. Crop and lay them out to scale on a letter size file. Have the page(s) color printed at 100% on photo paper for about $1 a page, or about 13¢ a picture.

PS: I think now you only have to mail in 1 or 2 photos.
Last edited by tetractys on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I've had to make appointments at a USPS office and include the photos in the appointment selection. An adult's passport is good for 10 years, so on an annualized basis it's not a big expenditure to pay them to make the photos and get them correct.

But I am intrigued by the idea of an app.(And soon we'll just have to hold up the phone and say "passport photo," and it will be delivered by a drone in one hour.)
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

$8 at AAA, wife went last week
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
snic

Post by snic »

StevieG72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:02 pm Shadows have been the thorn in my side while doing this! Any additional tips for dealing with shadows?
Shadows are a huge pain. Ironically, they seem to come from having too much lighting; i.e., too many light sources. For instance, if you have a room with 4 can lights, you're almost certain to have lots of variations in light intensity (which we perceive as shadows) anywhere in the room. The trick to getting a picture without shadows is to use low lighting and let your phone do its magic thing. Another alternative is to take the picture outside, assuming the weather cooperates and you can find a smooth light wall to use as background.

With a little trial and error and fiddling, it's possible to get good passport photos on your own. And there are now some really good websites that will crop them for you for free. Last time I used idphoto4you. I've been doing my own passport photos for years and have yet to have one rejected.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

You've spent more than you are worth thinking about how to save 6 dollars rather than just paying $15 and moving on with your life. Pick your battles.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

StevieG72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:02 pmShadows have been the thorn in my side while doing this! Any additional tips for dealing with shadows?
One way is not to use flash. Phone cameras are quite good nowadays with no flash.

Have subject stand 5 to 6 feet in front of light-colored featureless background such as a non-textured painted drywall. Lighting can be diffuse from across the room behind and perhaps above the camera. Pro might bounce flash off a featureless white ceiling, but one doesn't have to do that.

Anyways avoid subject being close to the background featureless wall.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Try less light? If not possible, then go in the other direction of additional lighting from another light source (such as another phone) but of course you have to have them stacked closed to the picture taking phone to minimize shadows...or invest in an "light ring" that Youtube bloggers/photographers use (will pay for itself eventually).

At the end of the day, IMHO, the acceptance criteria is not as tight as one is lead to believe from a literal reading of the photo requirements when you consider the actual quality/size of the photo printed on the passport.
livesoft wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:34 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:02 pmShadows have been the thorn in my side while doing this! Any additional tips for dealing with shadows?
One way is not to use flash. Phone cameras are quite good nowadays with no flash.

Have subject stand 5 to 6 feet in front of light-colored featureless background such as a non-textured painted drywall. Lighting can be diffuse from across the room behind and perhaps above the camera. Pro might bounce flash off a featureless white ceiling, but one doesn't have to do that.

Anyways avoid subject being close to the background featureless wall.
I agree. Last photo and application I submitted was two years ago I vaguely recall not even turning on the phone flash and just having applicant move closer/further from the wall until shadow from overhead bright white LED light were minimized.
mnsportsgeek wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:31 pm You've spent more than you are worth thinking about how to save 6 dollars rather than just paying $15 and moving on with your life. Pick your battles.
You really just have find the perfect location one time. 6 family members becomes $90. Walgreens/CVS one 4"X6" print promo is often $0.

It's like me replacing my 2 prong outlets with 3 prong. Electrician wanted $75-$100 per outlet. I spend 6 hours on the first one to ensure everything was grounded properly and pass various tests and multiple trips to home depot for the correct tools. The remaining 19 outlets took 10 minutes each.

To each his own.
snic

Post by snic »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:31 pm You've spent more than you are worth thinking about how to save 6 dollars rather than just paying $15 and moving on with your life. Pick your battles.
What, and not be able to brag about how I got my passport picture done for $0.19? That's a battle worth fighting for!
retired_tom

Post by retired_tom »

We just applied for our first passports. I was wondering where to get a passport photo taken. Since it was an initial passport, we had to go in person to an acceptance center. It turned out, our local library was an acceptance center. I just needed to make sure that we had an appointment so the acceptance officer would be available. I inquired where they suggested to get a passport photo taken. They said they'll do it for free. I did have to pay the acceptance fee of $35, but nothing for the photo.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

pizzy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:45 pm $8 at AAA, wife went last week
Probably varies by club (state). Michigan AAA is free for member or associate member. They did mine free, wouldn't do non-member wife's at all. :confused
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

kenai wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 pm

I go to my bathroom which has bright white lights overhead and light colored walls. I place myself in front of the mirror which has also has lights on top and move around the bathroom until the shadows on my face goes away. I use my iPhone to take a selfie doing this. Then I brighten the photo, remove the background and crop the photo per requirements.
Can you elaborate on how you brighten, remove photo and crop? Are you using iphone software? An app? Something else. I need to renew my passport and prefer DYI to try to get a decent picture, I am not photogenic to say the least!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:50 pmCan you elaborate on how you brighten, remove photo and crop? Are you using iphone software? An app? Something else. I need to renew my passport and prefer DYI to try to get a decent picture, I am not photogenic to say the least!
I’ve used my iPhone with the iPhone photos app. You can take all the photos you want and pick the best, even picking the best frame out of Live Photos. Use a light or off white background and have light from the sides or somewhere to eliminate shadows. Framing from the right distance is easiest with some help. I’ve used a stand and voice command, and also the timer. You can easily edit and crop in the iPhone photos app to the passport specs.

You can use Pages on IPhone to layout a page of passport photos to scale and have it printed at an office store at 100% on photo paper.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

The post office does them also . I'm not sure of cost
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

I have been using this app on Android for YEARS now - passport renewals for me, spouse, LO and several country visa applications that were done using passport photos from this app. Never had any issues.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

I had to pay $7 or so one-time several years ago to unlock all the premium features - something I recommend doing just for the background removal feature alone. Now passport photos cost me 40 cents to print at walgreens, so the app has paid itself in just one use.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Orangutan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:58 pm Pay the $30 dollars to Walgreens and move on with your life. Is it worth the extra time and the chance that whatever solution you come up with gets rejected?
Exactly. Getting scammed for $15 seems like a pretty poorly designed scam.

CVS did my son's for about $15. Took 90 tries for the algorithm to confirm an acceptable shot. My boy thought it was a photo shoot and made goofy faces the first 89 times. The photo lady earned her money that day.
p1db

Post by p1db »

I have used an iPhone 12 Pro Max to take good passport photos. The iOS Photos App allows you to remove the background. For US passport photos, a white background is acceptable.
I then use a website like epassportphoto.com to make 4 passport photos panel in standard photo size of 4 by 6 inches and get it printed at the local drugstore for a few cents.
I have had success with 3 US passport applications with this process.
JohnG2000

Post by JohnG2000 »

p1db wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:35 am I have used an iPhone 12 Pro Max to take good passport photos. The iOS Photos App allows you to remove the background. For US passport photos, a white background is acceptable.
I then use a website like epassportphoto.com to make 4 passport photos panel in standard photo size of 4 by 6 inches and get it printed at the local drugstore for a few cents.
I did the same. Took prints at Walgreens.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

JohnG2000 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:52 am
p1db wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:35 am I have used an iPhone 12 Pro Max to take good passport photos. The iOS Photos App allows you to remove the background. For US passport photos, a white background is acceptable.
I did the same. Took prints at Walgreens.
+1