Question for framed art experts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Unchained

Question for framed art experts

Post by Unchained »

I recently purchased a signed/numbered Alexander Calder lithograph from a reputable gallery. Before shipping it to me they float mounted and framed it, topping it off with Optium Acrylic glazing.

My concern is that they did not use any spacers. I called the gallery and they said that they do not use spacers when they are shipping art in order to prevent movement, and resulting damage to the lithograph. My concern is that the art is pressed against the plexiglass.

I checked with two local galleries and heard two differing opinions. One said spacers should always be used, and that it’s never good for the art to touch the glazing. She said air flow between the art and glazing is important so as to prevent condensation. Another said that they would not be concerned with the acrylic, but would feel otherwise if glass was used. His rationale for leaving it alone is that with plexiglass, he doesn’t have condensation concerns, but worries that spacers could lead to warpage of the acrylic over time.

It’s not expensive to address this and we would like to do what’s right. We’d appreciate any advice from Bogleheads with experience. Thanks in advance.
HomeStretch

Re: Question for framed art experts

Post by HomeStretch »

Consider contacting the artist or a conservator at a local art museum for an expert opinion.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

asked DW who's a registrar at an academic art gallery, and ships art in and out on a regular basis.

she's never heard of a reputable framer press art up against glass/acrylic... if you float mount you should use spacers... if they were worried about it moving during shipping they should have used a window mat. She would recommend you go to the framer who recommended spacers and have it done.

the acrylic used is relatively high quality and unlikely to warp, she also recommends reading cleaning instructions for the acrylic on Truvue's website (if you happen to keep it). although that acrylic is great at UV protection you still might want to make sure you hang the artwork out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.

"She" has spoken ;)

cheers!
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

privateer79 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:41 am asked DW who's a registrar at an academic art gallery, and ships art in and out on a regular basis.
Registrars do important work and are often unsung heroes at museums. Your wife must be very organized.
Topic Author
Unchained

Post by Unchained »

privateer79 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:41 am asked DW who's a registrar at an academic art gallery, and ships art in and out on a regular basis.

she's never heard of a reputable framer press art up against glass/acrylic... if you float mount you should use spacers... if they were worried about it moving during shipping they should have used a window mat. She would recommend you go to the framer who recommended spacers and have it done.

the acrylic used is relatively high quality and unlikely to warp, she also recommends reading cleaning instructions for the acrylic on Truvue's website (if you happen to keep it). although that acrylic is great at UV protection you still might want to make sure you hang the artwork out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.

"She" has spoken ;)

cheers!
Thank you for taking the time to look into this for us, and please thank your DW. We will do as she suggests.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

Picasso wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:28 am
Registrars do important work and are often unsung heroes at museums. Your wife must be very organized.
one of us better be... and it sure isn't me ;)