Space X Starlink Internet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
skinhealer

Space X Starlink Internet

Post by skinhealer »

Wanted to find if any of you guys have the starlink internet or signed up for it.

I am kind excited that its new and all that but can't justify the price.

Hardware
$499.00

Service
$99.00 /mo

Shipping & Handling
$50.00

Tax
$56.28

Due Today
$99.00
===================
Total $700 first month and after that $100/month.

Speeds will surely improve down the line. At present from reddit speeds vary quite a bit.High as 110mbps to low as 1mbps.
runner3081

Re: Space X Starlink Internet

Post by runner3081 »

My $50 internet with 50 down and 3 up is probably more than I will ever need.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

No idea, but I would expect that it would appeal more to people in rural areas without other options for high speed Internet.
I'm quite curious about it though, my past experience with any sort of satellite based network connections is that even with higher bandwidth the latency makes it unusable for many applications.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

can you pay in bitcoin?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
bac

Post by bac »

The guy behind AT&T WorldNet back in the dial-up days has a couple of posts about it:

<https://blog.tomevslin.com>
onourway

Post by onourway »

Definitely aimed primarily at people who have no other good options.

Starlink is a low orbit satellite so latency is (in theory) much better than traditional satellite - advertised on the order of 20-40ms which is indistinguishable from what I get on my cable connection in practical use.
HoberMallow

Post by HoberMallow »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:05 am No idea, but I would expect that it would appeal more to people in rural areas without other options for high speed Internet.
I'm quite curious about it though, my past experience with any sort of satellite based network connections is that even with higher bandwidth the latency makes it unusable for many applications.
The satellites used by other satellite internet companies (like ViaSat or HughesNet) are in geostationary orbit. That means the satellite orbits the earth once every 24 hours, so it appears stationary from the earth's surface, and the antennas used to communicate with them don't have to move. The problem is that geostationary orbit requires an altitude of 35,800 km. So at the speed of light (300,000 km/s) a signal has a round trip time, from ground to satellite and back, of almost 0.25 seconds.

The SpaceX satellites are in a much lower orbit - around 500 km. This means the round trip travel time is much lower (0.003 seconds). The difficulty is that the satellites move relative to the earth's surface, so the antenna has to track them and switch from one to the other. The SpaceX dish uses a phased-array antenna that is able to do this without any moving parts.

Here are a few articles on the current beta test:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... s-120mbps/
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... impressed/
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:05 am No idea, but I would expect that it would appeal more to people in rural areas without other options for high speed Internet.
The latency issue is precisely what Starlink was created to address. It uses thousands of low earth orbit satellites rather than a handful of geosynchronous satellites. You'll be connecting to satellites that are 300 miles away from you rather than 30,000.

The speeds should improve as SpaceX continues to build out the network. Doubtful it will compete anytime soon in areas already wired for fiber internet, but I think it could very well render moot the various rural broadband initiatives.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Friend of mine has it out in the country where the only other option is slow DSL. The speeds (up, down and ping) are quite impressive. If I remember he gets 100mb down, 20mb up and about 30ms ping. This is better than what I get on cable.

The dish and setup is actually pretty slick too, since it uses power over Ethernet so everything is just one cable and it has a heating coil in the dish to melt snow, also slick.

The main downside currently is that every once and a while (maybe 2-3 times per day) the connection gets knocked out for 30 seconds to a minute because of lack of satellite link. This should be mitigated when more satellites are put into orbit but it is something to consider. Being knocked off a conference call isn't fun.

I would not use this for someone with better options though. It is mainly for those in rural areas with little to no high speed internet access. And really I think it would be outstanding for those who have RV's, camper vans, etc. If you can find a spot to store the dish you can get high speed internet literally anywhere you set up camp.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

As others have indicated, could be a good option for rural. Reminds me of a road trip thru Montana and Wyoming on the way to Yellowstone where your neighbor could be could be miles away. Definitely wouldn't make sense for ISP to string up wiring to serve one property.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

DH says it is better than what we have with cable internet. However, he signed up for some place he wants to be, not where we are. Interestingly, when he signed up a couple of weeks ago, they didn't require the $99 down payment, like they did when I went to sign up for our current location (about 60 miles apart from each other, but his location is an island).

We are looking forward to when it goes mobile. It is currently cheaper than a satellite phone, much less the existing satellite internet with its high latency. I thought since so many scientists in remote place were the earliest beta testers it would all be mobile, but evidently tying you to one place is part of controlling access during roll out. We are so excited by this we are thinking of tearing out our antenna tuner while we are in that part of the boat installing a new propane system. It isn't like we ever got around to connecting the tuner to the antenna after we replaced our rigging in late 2019. Getting rid of the old SSB would free up some space, as well. However, we hang our masks on the mic hook, so it hasn't been a complete waste.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

sailaway wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:55 amI thought since so many scientists in remote place were the earliest beta testers it would all be mobile, but evidently tying you to one place is part of controlling access during roll out.
I didn't realize they tied your access to a location. That's a bummer because I think one of the biggest features of this could be the mobile high speed internet access literally anywhere any time.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

I'm in a rural location and waiting for notification that it's available for me. I'm on the list.

Satellite is our only option here, it's miserable, 2-4 up and .2 down is common. Connecting and disconnecting every 10 seconds is a frequent occurrence too.

I'd be happy to pay the upfront cost.

We don't get cell phone service either, land line only.

The rest of life is much better though, so bad Internet easy to put up with.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The tied to a location may be temporary as they do not have all the satellites in place yet, so some locations might not have good coverage. Once they are, I imagine it will be somewhat mobile (ie, snowbird takes it to their Fl home in winter)as you would just need to program the dish where to point from your location.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

mhalley wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 am The tied to a location may be temporary as they do not have all the satellites in place yet, so some locations might not have good coverage. Once they are, I imagine it will be somewhat mobile (ie, snowbird takes it to their Fl home in winter)as you would just need to program the dish where to point from your location.
That isn't currently the only problem. You are currently assigned a ground station and don't have access outside of that area, even if you could program the dish to point at the satellites.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

$700 plus $100 per month is hard for me to stomach, compared to the $37 I'm paying now. My current DSL is frustratingly limited, but I need to know I will be getting significant and consistent improvement before signing up for that. On the other hand, since the last word I heard from my neighbor about his discussions with Comcast was that their prior $9,000 estimate was no longer valid and it had more than doubled, Starlink is far from the worst option.

I'm contemplating Starlink as an interim solution until the ILEC reaches me with fiber. After a decade of watching their copper infrastructure decay, the old phone company sold off the business in the region to a startup that is rapidly installing fiber in town, and supposedly will expand outward when done.

T-Mobile also advertises 5G fixed wireless in my area. I tried a speed test last night on a borrowed phone: 1.5 Mbps. No thanks.
skinhealer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:26 am Speeds will surely improve down the line. At present from reddit speeds vary quite a bit.High as 110mbps to low as 1mbps.
Average distance to the nearest satellite will improve as they fill in their constellation. That will help. Number of users will presumably increase, too. It it possible they could find enough of a market for congestion to becomes an issue.

Also, they're not currently available above roughly 53 degrees latitude, but the best coverage should be at the higher latitudes covered.
vitaflo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:58 am I didn't realize they tied your access to a location. That's a bummer because I think one of the biggest features of this could be the mobile high speed internet access literally anywhere any time.
Keep in mind they're working at distances of 300 miles or more, rather than single digit miles as mobile phones typically do. The power requirements and antenna size are correspondingly much bigger - the antenna is about 20 inches in diameter, and the peak power level could drain a mobile phone battery in less than 10 minutes. There's not really a prospect of this becoming a mobile technology in the sense we have become used to.

It's definitely a viable size to mount to an RV, though. I'm sure at some point they will open up to mobile use, probably starting with commercial services.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 am As others have indicated, could be a good option for rural. Reminds me of a road trip thru Montana and Wyoming on the way to Yellowstone where your neighbor could be could be miles away. Definitely wouldn't make sense for ISP to string up wiring to serve one property.
Careful on pre-concieved ideas!

Daughter lives in very rural MT about 100 miles north of Yellowstone. County pop. = 2500, Town = 900. With the exception of the off-griders, everyone in the county got Fiber 10 years ago. This fiber carries their TV, telephone, and Internet, via the area's telephone co-op which covers 5 counties and does it all. The adjacent counties that are covered big name telephone systems have not been so fortunate.

I live in the heart of Silicon Valley and fiber to me only because available last year and it's availability today is still spotty.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I can't wait to ditch Windstream and am signed up to be notified when Space X Starlink is available in Georgia.

I pay almost $75.00/mo for an advertised 3 Mbps down/768 Kbps up but my speeds average .5-1.5 Mbps down and .05-.25 up most of the time. Latency is usually over 200ms. Our only other option is traditional satellite internet, such as HughesNet. Neighbors who have that say it is no better than Windstream.

Some rural EMCs are partnering with internet providers to run fiber to all of their customers, but we have been hearing that "fiber is coming soon" for at least ten years so I'll believe it when I see it! I've got more confidence in Elon Musk's plans...
IMO

Post by IMO »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 am can you pay in bitcoin?
Does it work from Mars?
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

I would do it for my place in the backcountry. 43 Latitude but not available yet for Beta. I would live there full time if I could. LTE speed is iffy and burns through data so it's only good for a long weekend of work. Where is your Latitude?
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Just noticed they are taking orders for my area with availability in late 2021.
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

Seems like it could be revolutionary if it could give users service on their mobile and desktop. Having to pay for both irks me. $50 ATT and $60 Time Warner. Give me a $100 option with as good or better speeds, coverage on my remote hikes, and I’ll buy the stock.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:59 am My $50 internet with 50 down and 3 up is probably more than I will ever need.
Its for rural/remote folks without cable or fiber
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Depends on DW’s employer’s decision about WFH. We don’t have many Fios outages, but iirc have had 2 since COVID. I think as a backup to Fios it could be worth it, since when she needs to be on a video/phone call, she really needs to be on it.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:58 pm
vitaflo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:58 am I didn't realize they tied your access to a location. That's a bummer because I think one of the biggest features of this could be the mobile high speed internet access literally anywhere any time.
Keep in mind they're working at distances of 300 miles or more, rather than single digit miles as mobile phones typically do. The power requirements and antenna size are correspondingly much bigger - the antenna is about 20 inches in diameter, and the peak power level could drain a mobile phone battery in less than 10 minutes. There's not really a prospect of this becoming a mobile technology in the sense we have become used to.

It's definitely a viable size to mount to an RV, though. I'm sure at some point they will open up to mobile use, probably starting with commercial services.
By mobile I meant RV or Boat. Obviously it's not going to be in a cell phone.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

I signed up for reminder when it would be available. Have not heard anything.
Where is it available now? Not sure I would sign up, but i am rural and presently have no internet aside from phone.
ballons

Post by ballons »

vitaflo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:50 am Friend of mine has it out in the country where the only other option is slow DSL. The speeds (up, down and ping) are quite impressive. If I remember he gets 100mb down, 20mb up and about 30ms ping. This is better than what I get on cable.
Right now your friend has two internet options. If starlink puts their DSL out of business, they will left with one completely unregulated provider who can leave at any time i.e. they would actually be worse off. People should be careful supporting a company that doesn't have physical assets locally. Having zero wired internet available would depress home values as well.
seersucker

Post by seersucker »

We got it a few months ago and love it. It may cost $100 a month but being able to tell CenturyLink to stick it was priceless.
mkc

Post by mkc »

ballons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:52 pm Right now your friend has two internet options. If starlink puts their DSL out of business, they will left with one completely unregulated provider who can leave at any time i.e. they would actually be worse off. People should be careful supporting a company that doesn't have physical assets locally. Having zero wired internet available would depress home values as well.
To provide a view from the other side, many areas of our state have zero wired internet options available currently. We live just outside city limits in a reasonably populous area and our only choice is traditional satellite or cellular data. No DSL, no fiber. Those that do have the sole DSL provider in the area report outages that last weeks and sub 1 Mbps download speeds. We are on the "notify us" list for Starlink
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

ballons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:52 pm
vitaflo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:50 am Friend of mine has it out in the country where the only other option is slow DSL. The speeds (up, down and ping) are quite impressive. If I remember he gets 100mb down, 20mb up and about 30ms ping. This is better than what I get on cable.
Right now your friend has two internet options. If starlink puts their DSL out of business, they will left with one completely unregulated provider who can leave at any time i.e. they would actually be worse off. People should be careful supporting a company that doesn't have physical assets locally. Having zero wired internet available would depress home values as well.
AT&T phased out DSL without anything close to complete fiber coverage so it's not like a company with local physical assets is any sort of guarantee of continued service either.

Starlink will be gift for folks who are rural and can afford it. Our ILEC tries hard but if you're at the long end of a loop there's only so much they can do economically.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

ballons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:52 pm
The DSL they have is barely 1.5mb. It's not enough to do video calls for work. And they're a horrible company to boot. They basically already have no real options where they live. My parents are in a similar boat. Starlink is a godsend for these people.

This isn't choosing Starlink over modern broadband, it's choosing Starlink over 1990's level internet service that vast swaths of the country still have to put up with.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

valid point, why would Tesla not make every product they sell purchasable via BC? (like their cars apparently are)

_____

Am I the only one concerned w/ all the satellites they're dumping into space? which will be outdated in X years necessitating more be launched, wash rinse repeat.

Its not like an item on the ground you could actually dissemble and recycle or repurpose (or at least try to). These are in space forever (?) unless they become like Skylab.
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

F150HD wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm
Am I the only one concerned w/ all the satellites they're dumping into space? which will be outdated in X years necessitating more be launched, wash rinse repeat.

Its not like an item on the ground you could actually dissemble and recycle or repurpose (or at least try to). These are in space forever (?) unless they become like Skylab.
My understanding is there is a deorbiting plan for them. In fact, I think they already deorbited and replaced many of the first generation starlink satellites.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I live in a miwestern state with a lot of rural expanses with a low population. Yesterday I saw on the news our governor talking about the state subsidizing high-speed internet to these areas. It seems like Starlink Internet solves this problem where it is available. Maybe not today for some places, but in a couple of years for sure.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Aaand...it'sgone wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:38 pm
F150HD wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm

My understanding is there is a deorbiting plan for them. In fact, I think they already deorbited and replaced many of the first generation starlink satellites.
The first 60 were prototypes only. 3/4 of them have been deorbited so far. Of the satellites planned for the main constellation, they have been averaging about one each launch (out of 60 that a Falcon 9 can lift) that they deorbit shortly afterwards, presumably because it fails its on-orbit checkout.

For the current orbital height and size of the satellites, the Starlink satellites' orbits would decay natural on a timespan of about 5 years if they lost the ability to deorbit themselves.

I believe currently it is the FCC that mandates end-of-life disposal plans as part of the operating license for commercial satellites.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:40 pm The first 60 were prototypes only. 3/4 of them have been deorbited so far....
Aaand...it'sgone wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:38 pm My understanding is there is a deorbiting plan for them. In fact, I think they already deorbited and replaced many of the first generation starlink satellites.
Good to know. :thumbsup
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

I don't suppose there are "coverage maps" or similar for this?

I understand the whole system is still in its infancy, but this looks like a great option for some of the northern New England locations I have been real estate shopping. No internet and/or cell coverage is often the norm.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

skinhealer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:26 am Wanted to find if any of you guys have the starlink internet or signed up for it.

I am kind excited that its new and all that but can't justify the price.

Hardware
$499.00

Service
$99.00 /mo

Shipping & Handling
$50.00

Tax
$56.28

Due Today
$99.00
===================
Total $700 first month and after that $100/month.

Speeds will surely improve down the line. At present from reddit speeds vary quite a bit.High as 110mbps to low as 1mbps.
Can you negotiate the rates even lower?

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

$500 down for hardware would be hard to wrap my head around. Any internet service we have ever had supplies the hardware. We may “rent” the modem for a few bucks a month (which is on the bill).

Tony
onourway

Post by onourway »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:44 am $500 down for hardware would be hard to wrap my head around. Any internet service we have ever had supplies the hardware. We may “rent” the modem for a few bucks a month (which is on the bill).

Tony
Again, this is primarily aimed right now at people for whom the only other option is no service other than marginal cell or satellite, and maybe those who are within range of cable or fiber, but would have to pay $10k+ to extend it to their property.

$500 up front for usable broadband is a bargain in that case.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

onourway wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:48 am
abuss368 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:44 am $500 down for hardware would be hard to wrap my head around. Any internet service we have ever had supplies the hardware. We may “rent” the modem for a few bucks a month (which is on the bill).

Tony
Again, this is primarily aimed right now at people for whom the only other option is no service other than marginal cell or satellite, and maybe those who are within range of cable or fiber, but would have to pay $10k+ to extend it to their property.

I know. It just bother me companies charge customers this!
Tony
radiokurt

Post by radiokurt »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:39 am I don't suppose there are "coverage maps" or similar for this?

I understand the whole system is still in its infancy, but this looks like a great option for some of the northern New England locations I have been real estate shopping. No internet and/or cell coverage is often the norm.
https://satellitemap.space/#
radiokurt

Post by radiokurt »

onourway wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:48 am

Tony

Yes - just looked into this for a vacation spot. Was really surprised how dismal internet service is in many areas outside of urban/suburban areas. Current satellite providers are a joke and terrestrial providers charge high rates for slow service.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

radiokurt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:52 am
brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:39 am I don't suppose there are "coverage maps" or similar for this?

Interesting. Thanks.

Some significant and variable coverage gaps.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I've pre-ordered! Now the waiting....
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:19 am

Interesting. Thanks.

The coverage constantly changes because the satellites constantly move. This is why the connection drops out every once and a while, and why they are continuing to put more satellites in space, so that there will eventaully always be a satellite available.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

That's a cool map. Thanks

For brokendirtdart - they have not clarified very well where they are currently signing up customers, other than that they are focusing on northerly latitudes. Since it is considered a paid beta test program, they don't seem very worried yet about marketing, and probably have more people signed up for testing so far than they need.

I suggest going to their website and signing up with an approximate address for notification when service is available in your area. They reportedly have also started taking public pre-orders with a deposit, with service expected to be ready sometime in 2021 or 2022.

https://www.engadget.com/spacex-starlin ... 27490.html

Hypothetically, they should be able to offer service anywhere up to 53 degrees latitude for their initial constellation, with best service the further north you are. They will add more satellites over the next couple of years to reach 70 degrees latitude, as well as increase the density at lower latitudes.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:19 am

Interesting. Thanks.

The circles are assumed by that website based on simple cone that forms a 45 degree angle with the ground. Coverage might be broader than the circles, depending on broadly the satellites can aim their beams, but speeds should be expected to be lower due to distance and possibly decreased antenna performance at high angles.

The best way to gauge coverage right now is going to be to search through online discussions for people describing their beta test experience, and see if they mention their general location. I would start here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

It's nothing of interest to me at the moment...but in 25 years when I might want to retire somewhere more rural, a product like this will be cool to have internet in a quiet location. I'm sure the basics behind it will be well along by then, which is nice.
illumination

Post by illumination »

What I have now is better, but there's a lot of people that this will be a game changer. Always glad to see more competition in this space and not let a handful of cable providers operate with almost monopolies.

I know when Google fiber just threatened a rollout in my area, suddenly my cable company dramatically upped their speeds out of nowhere and started getting way more competitive with prices.