What are your staple healthy meals?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
guitarguy

What are your staple healthy meals?

Post by guitarguy »

The title says it all friends...we are looking for some new ideas!

What are those top 5 (ish) meals that y’all find yourself making regularly?

No food allergies or any special diet restrictions to take note of, but we are looking to stay on the healthy side and don’t eat a lot of red meat (maybe once per week at very most).

Some of ours are:

Chicken fajitas or quesadillas
Spaghetti squash with various types of meat and sauce
Fish fillets or chicken breasts with rice/quinoa and vegetables
Cauliflower “fried rice” (this is surprisingly good!)
Pulled pork with various sides

Meal prep is welcome, quick + easy is always good, and we are pretty adventurous with ethnic types of food and love trying all kinds of things!
Cheez-It Guy

Re: What are your staple healthy meals?

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Bowl of oatmeal with no added sugar. Cinnamon and raisins to taste.

Baked potato with sour cream.

Boiled egg.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Semi Keto. Hearts of Palm in place of pasta, with Marinara sauce from Aldi, some Italian sausage and Mozerella/Parm cheese. Baked. Yum.
Boneless chicken legs with paprika, onions and bell peppers, Instant Pot
Zucchini boats. Mug cakes. Fried Cabbage with sausage, Coconut flour "corn"bread.
You asked!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:05 pm Bowl of oatmeal with no added sugar. Cinnamon and raisins to taste.
Bowl of oatmeal with walnuts, blueberries, flaxmeal, chocolate-flavored protein powder with maltodextrin, and made with diet Dr Pepper to add caffeine and artificial sweetener. I got this recipe off the internet somewhere.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

You got about 2/3rds of one our favorites - Spaghetti squash with red sauce.
I make red pepper Pomodoro sauce & shrimp. Nothing but sauteed garlic and onions in olive oil, 2 cans canned whole tomato's, Salt and pepper to taste, 1 tsp sugar. Secret: add about 1/4 tsp. anchovy paste (or about 2" from a squeeze tube). Simmer maybe 30 mins. Throw 6-8 peeled/de-veined shrimp on top of the sauce while simmering and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Turn shrimp after about 4 mins to cook other side.

Spoon piping hot spaghetti squash onto a bed of baby spinach, add sauce and shrimp on top. If you are feeling adventurous you can add capers to sauce when simmering.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Big salad with fresh salmon mixed in or a Cobb salad.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

livesoft wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:05 pm Bowl of oatmeal with no added sugar. Cinnamon and raisins to taste.
Bowl of oatmeal with walnuts, blueberries, flaxmeal, chocolate-flavored protein powder with maltodextrin, and made with diet Dr Pepper to add caffeine and artificial sweetener. I got this recipe off the internet somewhere.
Cut up apple and/or peach into small pieces (depending on what's in season) and cook in pot with quaker oats and the regular amount of water. When done add to bowl with broken up walnut pieces, sliced banana, and cinnamon. I also add a little bit of 1% milk and strawberries and/or blueberries if in season. No need for artificial sweetener!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Red lentil soup with spinach. There are many recipes for this staple meal.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
fatherjames

Post by fatherjames »

My favorite meal involves a lot of roasted veggies. Probably 40 minutes start to finish on this for me.

Chunk up some sweet potato, little bit of olive or avocado oil, throw it pan and give it the gas at 400.
The cauliflower and brussel sprouts get the same treatment, plus a bit of pepper. It goes in next as the potato chunks take longer.
About 12 minutes till eating time I throw some asparagus into the oven. That is when I kick off the broccoli steamer as well.

I usually marinate some boneless chicken breasts for the kids in Newmans olive oil dressing. Sear that on the stove and finish in the oven.

A couple of us like salmon so some small filets get roasted in the oven.

I might put a can of low sodium black beans in a pan on top of the stove over the oven vent so they heat up with the free heat....I am either cheap or an energy saver depending on who you ask.

Thanks for the other ideas!
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

I believe that I have posted previously about making my own special secret marinara sauce, based on my blessed Italian grandmother's "recipe".

So, then #1, add chicken and mushrooms or #2, anchovies and tuna into the simmering sauce and eventually plop mixture on top of your chosen cooked pasta. Add your favorite grated cheese to taste. Pecorino Romano for yours truly.

Or...bake chicken tenders covered in extra virgin olive oil. Slice up the cooked tenders into strips. Place on top of bakery-fresh, sliced Kaiser rolls. Cover tenders' slices with sections of cheese (pepper jack or sharp cheddar for me). Coat top half of Kaiser roll with an excellent mayonnaise. Heat in microwave until cheese melts. Yummm!
Illegitimi non carborundum.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We don't really make meals and we intermittent fast (wife 3 days per week around her training schedule, me 7 days/week) so this is probably of no help to the OP, but I am currently in the middle of eating my (one, large) meal for the day:

HUGE bowel - 8oz of whatever protein I cooked for the week (generally chicken breasts or a pork roast, but sometimes we get creative), 3-4c whatever veggies on hand (today it is asparagus and broccoli), huge mound of greens (today its combo of kale and spinach), 2 (evoo) fried eggs on top, and a whole bunch of hot sauce.

Much smaller bowel - 1/2c (dried) oatmeal (generally groats, but it's old fashioned rolled today) and a scoop of Myprotein (fruity cereal today - how much it tastes like fruity pebbles will blow your mind).

Handful or two...or three or four raw walnuts and/or almonds.

Rarely changes except for every other Sunday which is dinner at my parent's house (and even then is something similar). Our kids do not IF, but their "meals" are fairly similar (obviously much smaller).
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Stir fried vegetables over brown rice (I'm l/o vegetarian).

I season with a homemade curry powder mixture. In March-April, what went into the stir fry depended on whatever I could find at the grocery (many things were unobtanium). Potatoes, sweet potatoes, summer squash, winter squash, garlic, scallions, onion, jalapeno, kale, collard greens, carrots, celery; whatever I could find.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

stoptothink -

I do like your recipes very much, but.....it's "bowl" not "bowel". Especially in this thread, the difference in meaning between the two words is quite significant. :D

Free
Illegitimi non carborundum.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

FreeAtLast wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:29 pm stoptothink -

I do like your recipes very much, but.....it's "bowl" not "bowel". Especially in this thread, the difference in meaning between the two words is quite significant. :D

Free
:sharebeer , that's one of my best typos in a while.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

I make something with ground turkey which is like a taco salad without the shell.
Add taco seasoning or similar spices while browning the turkey and serve with cilantro-lime brown rice and toppings such as salad greens, cilantro, avocado, salsa, and I use yogurt as a sour cream sub.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Brown rice and sandwich with mushrooms or lentils instead of meat.

Go to nearly every dinner.
k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t »

Oatmeal with apples, bananas, a dab of butter, and a healthy tablespoon or two of chia seeds for omega-3. Starting your day with a nutritious, filling breakfast helps avoid high carb/sugary snacking, at least for me.
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

Bell pepper and goat cheese pasta by Marcella Hazan, from her cookbook Marcella Cucina. So yummy and very fast and simple to make. Have a nice green salad on the side.

I will often do your standard "chicken breast or pork tenderloin with a side of roasted veggies" meal.

Broccoli-cheddar risotto: make risotto as usual, roast broccoli and diced shallots, mix shredded cheddar cheese and some butter into the risotto and top with the veggie mixture and some chopped walnuts. You can also do something similar but use roasted brussels sprouts (dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar before you roast them), mix in goat cheese instead of cheddar, and add chopped pecans.

Southwest chowder (a chowder with chicken, roasted corn, black beans,and onions, served up with sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, and tortilla chip strips).

Look forward to trying all the delicious options on this thread!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Lentils and wild rice

Poached chicken cubes, Israeli couscous, cucumber salad

Fruit pieces and homemade yogurt
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Get yourself:

1) A protein. Beef, chicken, pork, tofu, etc.

2) Lots of vegetables

Take the above and put it in a large pan with olive oil and salt and cook it up.

Serve with a big portion of starch like rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, or quinoa.

The combinations are vast and there are no complex recipes and very little prep time other than setting out the protein from the freezer the night before.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.
Cooked in a "Ninja Air Fryer", comes out fresh cooked like baked. Cooks fast.

This is Sea Bass. Drizzle of sesame oil, lemon, ground pepper, local "Hawaii Blend Sprinkles", and chives before cooking.
Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar from a local vendor before eating. (fine sliced green onion is great if available). Also, Chinese Parsley.
Looks shiny because it is drenched in the balsalmic vinegar which I'm addicted to.

Brown rice
Oatmeal (b'fst)
Salad's (organic)
Steamed veg's.
Any fish wild caught.
Lean chicken.
Soy, Tofu.

Styles of cooking: Italian, Hawaiian (local island flavors), Asian/Eastern, Fusion, Japanese, Light Stir Fry, etc.

No meat, no "hoofs", no processed foods, no processed meats, no dairy, no gluten, no wheat, no "food in a box" whether frozen or otherwise. no sugars, no desserts, no baked things, no deep fried or breaded things, no eggs, no vegetable or animal fat oils, no preservatives, no additives, no fast food, no cafeteria style food, no potatoes, no wheat pasta. No "snacks, chips, cookies, crackers, candy, sweets, etc".

DW have an unlimited budget for the highest quality and most nutritious food we can find.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We will have chicken and potatoes. Spaghetti without sauce.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:51 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.

This is Sea Bass. Drizzle of sesame oil, lemon, ground pepper, local "Hawaii Blend Sprinkles", and chives before cooking.
Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar from a local vendor before eating. (fine sliced green onion is great if available). Also, Chinese Parsley.
Looks shiny because it is drenched in the balsalmic vinegar which I'm addicted to.

Brown rice
Oatmeal (b'fst)
Salad's (organic)
Steamed veg's.
Any fish wild caught.
Lean chicken.
Soy, Tofu.

Styles of cooking: Italian, Hawaiian (local island flavors), Asian/Eastern, Fusion, Japanese, Light Stir Fry, etc.

No meat, no "hoofs", no processed foods, no processed meats, no dairy, no gluten, no wheat, no "food in a box" whether frozen or otherwise. no sugars, no desserts, no baked things, no deep fried or breaded things, no eggs, no vegetable or animal fat oils, no preservatives, no additives, no fast food, no cafeteria style food, no potatoes, no wheat pasta. No "snacks, chips, cookies, crackers, candy, sweets, etc".

DW have an unlimited budget for the highest quality and most nutritious food we can find.
Ok that picture is making me hungry.

Tony
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Tom yum vegetable soup.
Vietnamese cold noodle salad.
Vietnamese chicken salad.
Spicy edamame salad.
Cold ginger chicken.

Be happy to post the recipe for any of them. They are very simple to make.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

johnegonpdx wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:03 pm Tom yum vegetable soup.
Vietnamese cold noodle salad.
Vietnamese chicken salad.
Spicy edamame salad.
Cold ginger chicken.

Be happy to post the recipe for any of them. They are very simple to make.
This is "great"!!!!! food. :D :D

Cold Ginger Chicken with grated ginger and fine chopped green onions and grated chinese parsley on top.
There's also a Vietnamese fish "pot" dish that is incredible and a unique nice flavor. But I don't know how to make that.
Also, various PHO soups, vegetable pho is wonderful. Also don't know how to make that.

mahalo!
csm

Post by csm »

Some of my regular go-to easy meals:

Salmon fillets - drizzle a bit of olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, ground pepper, fresh dill - bake in oven or saute in a non-stick pan. Serve with spinach and/or asparagus and, if desired, a starch of choice.

Boneless chicken (thighs or breast), sauteed in olive oil with garlic, mushrooms, capers, lemon juice and a bit of wine (kind of a chicken piccata but without following a traditional recipe) served on jasmine or basmati rice with steamed asparagus.

Frittata (made in non-stick pan on stovetop) - depending on what I have on hand, it may include mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, fresh spinach, asparagus, mozzarella cheese, possibly some ham or bacon. Saute the vegetables (and meat if using) in olive oil or butter, turn heat to medium low, pour the eggs on top (very lightly mixed), sprinkle cheese on top and allow to cook until the eggs are set. Sliced avocado on the side.

Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs and steamed spinach.

Scallops (sauteed in a bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice just before they are done), roasted vegetables (could be broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, zucchini).

Salad with dark greens (spinach, baby kale, arugula), avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes (marinated in olive oil), sprouted pumpkin seeds or walnuts, cucumbers. The olive oil from the artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes is usually sufficient to dress the salad (possibly add some balsamic), sea salt & fresh ground pepper. Top with cooked protein of choice (usually leftover from a previous day's meal) - e.g. chicken, salmon, steak.
Last edited by csm on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

Last edited by kimura king on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

B/S chicken breast.
1 tsp Tajin seasoning
2 TBL Olive oil
1 TBL lemon juice

1 he

Grill on medium 10 mins/side

Serve w/ Rice, salad
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

McDonald’s Happy meals!

Tony
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:51 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.

Brown rice
Oatmeal (b'fst)
Salad's (organic)
Steamed veg's.
Any fish wild caught.
Lean chicken.
Soy, Tofu.

Congratulations on being such a healthy eater! I have been told though.....balsamic vinegar has a lot of sugar in it.....!
joaquin168q

Post by joaquin168q »

oatmeal, water, and heat; nothing else.

Raw sweet peppers.

Shishito peppers.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

guitarguy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:02 pm The title says it all friends...we are looking for some new ideas!

What are those top 5 (ish) meals that y’all find yourself making regularly?

No food allergies or any special diet restrictions to take note of, but we are looking to stay on the healthy side and don’t eat a lot of red meat (maybe once per week at very most).

Some of ours are:

Chicken fajitas or quesadillas
Spaghetti squash with various types of meat and sauce
Fish fillets or chicken breasts with rice/quinoa and vegetables
Cauliflower “fried rice” (this is surprisingly good!)
Pulled pork with various sides

Meal prep is welcome, quick + easy is always good, and we are pretty adventurous with ethnic types of food and love trying all kinds of things!
omelette with avocado red peppers feta cheese
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Brown rice
Oatmeal (b'fst)
Salad's (organic)
Steamed veg's.
Any fish wild caught.
Lean chicken.
Soy, Tofu.

What sourcery is this? Images on this board?
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

cacophony wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:52 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Cut up apple and/or peach into small pieces (depending on what's in season) and cook in pot with quaker oats and the regular amount of water. When done add to bowl with broken up walnut pieces, sliced banana, and cinnamon. I also add a little bit of 1% milk and strawberries and/or blueberries if in season. No need for artificial sweetener!
Everyone seems to love oatmeal. I do: oats, fresh fruit like blueberries or strawberries, cashew bits, butter, sugar, cinnamon and sometimes crispy bacon in little pieces. The salty crunch of the bacon bits is really fun.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Steel cut oats with Ground Flaxseed, walnuts and a bit of maple syrup. w/ my cup(s) of matcha in the morning.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Chip

Post by Chip »

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, steamed broccoli, black beans w/ sriracha
Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

1. Baked potatoes, in the instant pot (8 minutes).

2. Acorn squash/brown sugar/butter, in the instant pot (10 minutes).

3. Easy chicken curry -- chicken + carrots + spices + chicken stock.

4. Sautéed mushrooms. Can't get enough of them. Just shrooms + EVOO + salt and pepper. Yum.
dougs93jeep

Post by dougs93jeep »

PBJ on ezekiel bread with berries and milk. Simple, cheap and provides necessary nutrients.

Many will laugh, my wife does, but it's a quick and healthy meal that is often thought of as for "kids"
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

fried rice made from day old brown rice with lots of whatever veggies, a couple eggs scrambled in and sometimes cooked with (not as healthy but nom, nom) bacon lardons. Excellent for brekky, and good for lunch too.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Oatmeal with Ceylon cinnamon and flaxseeds. Some fresh berries and a handful of unsalted almonds.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Baked then lightly seared in the air fryer.
Mahi Mahi Fish Fillets.

Toasted Sesame Oil
Lemon Oil
Chives (toasted bits seen the the photo).
Green Onion
Very light, 5 spices asian sprinkles before baking.
sea salt
rough ground pepper

fish is in a shallow bowl so the dressing/marinade splash on the sides looks airborne from the lighting.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Thranduil wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 am 1. Baked potatoes, in the instant pot (8 minutes).

2. Acorn squash/brown sugar/butter, in the instant pot (10 minutes).

3. Easy chicken curry -- chicken + carrots + spices + chicken stock.

4. Sautéed mushrooms. Can't get enough of them. Just shrooms + EVOO + salt and pepper. Yum.
Yes yes yes!
Saute mushrooms.
An art form when done just right!

Method #1 (still slightly crunchy and very mushroomy tasting).

Don't wet the shrooms before cooking, don't wash them and get them wet = soggy shrooms.
Light soy butter
browned garlic fine sliced and sauted lst before putting shrooms in the pan
salt n pepper

Method #2 (more saucy, not crunchy, more juicy and savory)
The Stone Wall

Post by The Stone Wall »

A staple for us would be black beans and rice.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Taco Bell
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I love lentils and rice, in any form. Not together necessarily.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tealeaves

Post by tealeaves »

I have packaged protein bars and drinks every day, all with no or low (<3g) sugar. I don't know if they are healthy or not. Literature on this is mixed.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

My regular oatmeal'n fix'ns (usually some combination of peanut butter, fruit, nuts, yogurt, honey or jam) breakfast is probably as close as I get to a "staple food".
What constitutes "healthy" food is matter of much opinion and debate.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Vegan Pesto Genovese:
-chickpea pasta (Banza)
-kale-cashew pesto (Trader Joe’s)
-green beans
-fingerling potatoes

Mix it all together. It’s delicious!
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

Cab, Zin, Syrah, Meritage...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Oatmeal with a couple of tablespoons of dried blueberries.

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and chopped tomatoes added in halfway through the scramble. A small amt of finely shredded sharp cheddar on top after eggsare plated.

Taco casserole. Cook Taco meat , add in a jar of salsa, small can of corn. Put in 9x9 cake pan. Top with Jiffy Cornbread ( prepare as if making the cornbread). Spoon on top of the meat mixture in the pan. Bake as per instruction on Jiffy package.
After baking let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Tasty meal. Reheats well,

Shrimp creole. Rib of celery, 1/2 of yellow onion, 1.5 red or green bell peppers , stewed tomatoes and shrimp. 2 teaspoons of a fairly zippy creole seasoning. Serve over rice. (My favorite meal)

Baked potato loaded with different veggies, salsa and a bit of cheese.

Egg salad sandwich. (Eggs, mayo, salt and pepper and finally sweetpickle relish - delish).