Car hit in parking lot (no note)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
czaj

Car hit in parking lot (no note)

Post by czaj »

Last Wednesday, I found damage to my trunk and bumper of my car when walking out to my designated parking spot at my apartment complex with no note left. I hadn’t used my car since Saturday evening, so it could’ve happened anytime between. Looking for advice related the situation.

I filed a police/collision report and notified the property manager, who checked out cameras, but the camera is too far away.

I also filed a claim with my insurance company. Right now, they are saying it’s collision insurance, but I am hoping it will at least be determined to be a uninsured/underinsured coverage after they obtain the police report. (I live in WA)

I’ve moved my cat camera to my window where I can see the car and parking lot. (One neighbor I talked to also put a camera out his window too)

Now, I suspect that it is one of my neighbors who did it. Across the parking lot, there is an oversized truck who backs in. When he backs in, the front of his truck comes into my spot, but I didn’t see any damage on his steel front bumper plate. Given the height of the damage, I’d say it was a truck. Not sure he’d even have felt hitting my car with his truck.

Insurance company estimated the damage at $950 ($50 below collision deductible), so I am planning on getting a second estimate as that seems lower than I’d expect. If insurance company agrees it’s a hit and run, then it will be a $300 deductible.

I’ve verbally asked two neighbors if they witness anything. I am thinking about leaving a note on a few neighbors’ (including oversized truck neighbor) doors just to ask if the witnessed anything. Do you think this is a good idea?

Am I missing anything? What would you do? Appreciate any advice!
TallBoy29er

Re: Car hit in parking lot (no note)

Post by TallBoy29er »

I empathize with you, and think you've done the right things. At this point, if it were me, I'd probably call it a day, and pay to get it repaired myself. Going on a scavenger hunt for the guilty party wouldn't be worth my time, and is not my jam. I'm also skeptical that it will turn up anything worthwhile, I'd consider the results pretty unlikely to change anything, which is that you know nothing.

And one last thing, don't let this eat at you. It may have been noticed by the other driver, it may not have been. Get things fixed, and move past it.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

TallBoy29er wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 am I empathize with you, and think you've done the right things. At this point, if it were me, I'd probably call it a day, and pay to get it repaired myself. Going on a scavenger hunt for the guilty party wouldn't be worth my time, and is not my jam. I'm also skeptical that it will turn up anything worthwhile, I'd consider the results pretty unlikely to change anything, which is that you know nothing.

And one last thing, don't let this eat at you. It may have been noticed by the other driver, it may not have been. Get things fixed, and move past it.
I agree with this post but I know it would eat me up inside regardless. I would probably walk around the parking lot to see which vehicles have damage, and if none then maybe it was a visitor.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

This is something that is really frustrating to me. My wife's car was hit in front of our house one day. There wasn't a note either, but it was only scuffed paint, no serious damage. We haven't bothered to fix it because I feel like it will just end up happening again. It's one of the reasons I won't buy a new car. If it's $1,000 or less, I'd just pay to fix it and be done with it. I wouldn't want my insurance involved if they didn't have to be.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

forget the insurance company estimate, take it to a reputable body shop and ask them for an estimate.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I would chalk this up as the cost of living in an apartment complex and proceed no further other than to fix the damage only if it will shorten/reduce the life of the car or inhibit my ability to use the rear trunk. I lived in various apartment building for a decade and this sort of thing happened fairly frequently.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

6 months ago, my car was hit in the parking lot of a public park. No notes. It's a hit and run type.

My rear bumper has some damage. But there were a lot of broken glass and plastic that not belong to my car. I suspect the other car has it much worse.

I just moved on. I could file the police report, find witnesses, find cameras, etc. and I could have a slim chance to find the suspect. But I paid no mind to it.

I didn't even fix the bumper. It is what it is. It's a 10 year old car, 150k miles. And I drive it like a tank. :sharebeer
Time is the ultimate currency.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Sorry this happened to you, but, no, I would not go around asking everybody what they saw and playing detective. Anecdotally, my neighbor just chased down a guy that hit his car on the Interstate and ran. This resulted in him getting a torn rotator cuff that will require surgery and 12 weeks of rehab (not the hit and run, the subsequent altercation in which he was thrown to the ground). I think all you can do is go the insurance route. Cameras are a good idea in general. I suggest strong defense but not offense. In other words, figure out how to protect against this happening again.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Parking damage with no note happened to me when I lived in an apartment as well. There's nothing you can do. Oddly it didn't bother me that much - was just mildly annoying. My car was about 4 years old at the time, 100k+ miles.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

H-Town wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:17 pm ... I just moved on....
Me too. Happened to me twice in my long life. Once in a bowling alley parking lot, once when I left the car on the street overnight. Driver's side door both times. Before security cameras, no way to find any witnesses. Sometimes you just have to let it go and move on with life.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Stuff like this is why I don't spend money on expensive cars. It is unfortunate that it happens but would bother me much more on an expensive vehicle. I once had someone back into my front bumper and my car was only a few weeks old.

Good luck.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

Pay your deductible and move on. Not worth your time to investigate further.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

This is why you need to buy a Tesla... (ok I said it 😀) ... sentry mode. Anyhow, aside from maybe a note that might trigger some sort of integrity, get a non insurance estimate at a body shop... maybe even call the dealer and see if they can put you in touch with who they have do touch ups. If it’s “only” $1000 I’m guessing it’s pretty minimal. If it still bothers you then pay out of pocket to have it touched up....it will likely happen again
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I hope the laws have changed since this happened to me.

I went into Home Depot. I came out and saw my left rear quarter panel was severely dented. No note. I called Allstate and they told me it falls under the moving violation part of my auto policy. I argued "My car was parked". I got a ding on my driving record and my rates went up.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
hnd

Post by hnd »

Happened at my wife (then GF's house) parked on street when we were in college. came out to a giant dent in rear quarter panel. we had a pizza delivered and a few people show up. i investigated at the pizza place myself and found a vehicle that it could of been. I called the police and by the time they talked to the pizza place, that care was gone. i never saw the car there again.( i began to make that part of my drive every day) I used a gallon of bondo to repair it and eventually sold it for the motor (Honda Prelude SI)
Unchained

Post by Unchained »

OP. This should clearly be settled under your uninsured motorist coverage. In my state the deductible would be zero. Doesn’t WA limit the deductible to $300?

You may need to push your insurance company.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I agree that you won't likely find the guilty party. However, since I am quite petty, I would put up a notice in a public area urging caution in the parking lot, and indirectly shaming the unknown perpetrator for what they did.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Carguy85 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:07 pm This is why you need to buy a Tesla... (ok I said it 😀) ... sentry mode. Anyhow, aside from maybe a note that might trigger some sort of integrity, get a non insurance estimate at a body shop... maybe even call the dealer and see if they can put you in touch with who they have do touch ups. If it’s “only” $1000 I’m guessing it’s pretty minimal. If it still bothers you then pay out of pocket to have it touched up....it will likely happen again
Sentry mode sounds like the cars have machine guns on them. :D
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Our car was hit in a restaurant parking lot a couple of years ago. The driver of the other vehicle (a fairly old gentleman according to witness descriptions) clearly noticed the collision and moved his vehicle to another spot. The witness left a note with the offender’s car description and license plate on our windshield. By the time we returned, the other vehicle was gone. We called the police (from home) and provided the information (license plate, vehicle description, witness phone number).

Long story short, the police declined to actually file a police report or cite the other driver. Apparently hit and run isn’t a big deal anymore :oops: :annoyed

I don’t recall how we got ahold of the other driver’s insurance (either from the cops as they did contact the driver or our own insurance was able to get the information from the DMV). In any case, our insurance company handled the claim on our behalf and the other guy’s insurance paid.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

It's a raw deal and has happened to us a few times. Just happened to my rental car. Happened in hotel parking lot. Cracked the plastic bumper cover and dented the trunk. No one saw or reported it and no security cameras in the parking lot. I called the police and they say they will not file a report since no one saw anything and it was occurred on private property. The bad thing a claim will be filled against my insurance.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Years ago my friend's car was hit when a car tried to back into a parking space behind his. He didn't see it happen. When he returned to his car he found a note on his windshield that went something like this:
  • I'm leaving this note so that the people who saw this happen think that I'm leaving you my name & contact info. Sorry.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Unchained wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 pm OP. This should clearly be settled under your uninsured motorist coverage. In my state the deductible would be zero. Doesn’t WA limit the deductible to $300?

You may need to push your insurance company.
In many states, damage does not fall under uninsured motorist coverage. Unless the driver causing the damage is positively identified and determined to be uninsured. An unidentified hit and run falls under collision coverage.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Unless you have something "smoking gun" like your paint on the neighbor's bumper, I'd just pay out of pocket and move on. If he wasn't honest enough to leave a note, who's to say he'll confess when asked? And you may end up alienating people if it comes off like accusations and they had nothing to do with it.

Don't be shocked though if it was not a neighbor, lot sof people usually go in and out. When I lived in an apartment, it was almost a weekly/monthly thing where someone's window was smashed for their stereo and all sorts of other vehicle mishaps. One time a car was even set on fire. :confused

I feel like if you live in an apartment, don't have a nice car you worry too much about.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:57 pm Long story short, the police declined to actually file a police report or cite the other driver. Apparently hit and run isn’t a big deal anymore :oops: :annoyed
I was in my vehicle when someone backed into it in a Texas parking lot. Police were called but said they never file a report citing fault in parking lot situations. The police told me parking lots were considered the "Wild West" of road rules and regulations. The only thing they did was force the offender to show me her license and insurance which she refused to do until the police politely asked her.
z91

Post by z91 »

I had some fairly serious bumper damage parking in the city once and was 100% sure it was the car that parked behind me. They had scuff marks with my paint color and exact height/position of where my bumper was hit. It was quite obvious, but can see how they didn't notice as it can't be seen from the sidewalk. My insurance pulled the plate and wasn't able to do anything as it was a vanity plate (I guess there's a separate system for these). I left it at that as I didn't have the time to deal with it (two tired kids in the car with a multi-hour drive ahead of us) so drove home.

I was super upset and wanted vengeance but figured it was not worth wasting my time. I ended up pulling the bumper off myself and fixing it as close as I could. Luckily I got to it quickly enough where the bumper didn't crease up so I was able to save it using some tools I already had at home and YouTube.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:40 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:57 pm Long story short, the police declined to actually file a police report or cite the other driver. Apparently hit and run isn’t a big deal anymore :oops: :annoyed
I was in my vehicle when someone backed into it in a Texas parking lot. Police were called but said they never file a report citing fault in parking lot situations. The police told me parking lots were considered the "Wild West" of road rules and regulations. The only thing they did was force the offender to show me her license and insurance which she refused to do until the police politely asked her.
It’s pretty crazy. So what happens if someone is injured or killed in a parking lot accident?
z91

Post by z91 »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:05 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:40 pm
It’s pretty crazy. So what happens if someone is injured or killed in a parking lot accident?
Then it becomes vehicular manslaughter, which is something they'd go out there for, I'd imagine.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Has happened to me twice, same car about a decade ago. Walked out of Home Depot and the driver's side door of my truck was bashed in pretty good. It was an older Nissan hardbody pickup, only worth ~$2500 so only had liability. Didn't even bother to fix it. Good thing because a handful of months later (about 4am on January 1st) I woke up to a really loud crashing sound, ran outside in my pajamas and watched as the back end of a Suburban sped off. Tracks made it clear they had sideswiped my little truck parked on the side of not-very busy residential street, knocking it halfway onto the curb, then reversed and just took off. My truck was totaled. Hey, at least I got a new car for the new year. One of the events which convinced me that a nice car is just never worth it.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

OP czaj
I was always under the impression that this type of damage, "hit and run", is covered under your comprehensive insurance if you have it. You may have a deductible involved there also. I recommend you check with your insurance company. I seem to remember my daughter in the early 1990s being struck in a parking lot by such a driver. I think my insurance company paid it under my comprehensive policy, under which I have never had a deductible (had full coverage).
Tom D.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Nate79 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 pm
Carguy85 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:07 pm This is why you need to buy a Tesla... (ok I said it 😀) ... sentry mode. Anyhow, aside from maybe a note that might trigger some sort of integrity, get a non insurance estimate at a body shop... maybe even call the dealer and see if they can put you in touch with who they have do touch ups. If it’s “only” $1000 I’m guessing it’s pretty minimal. If it still bothers you then pay out of pocket to have it touched up....it will likely happen again
Sentry mode sounds like the cars have machine guns on them. :D
That would get me to buy a Tesla :twisted:
We plan. G-d laughs.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:39 pm Years ago my friend's car was hit when a car tried to back into a parking space behind his. He didn't see it happen. When he returned to his car he found a note on his windshield that went something like this:
  • I'm leaving this note so that the people who saw this happen think that I'm leaving you my name & contact info. Sorry.
Wow. Just wow. :shock:
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

This is a question of whether you want to "open a can of worms" by following a "now what"?

It goes like this:
1. Find a car/truck in the parking lot with damage the looks like from your car and has rubbed off paint from your car.
"Now what"?
2. Find the owner of the car or the apartment that the parking stall belongs to where the offending car is parked.
"Now what"?
3. Get the apartment assigned to the parking lot that the offending car is parked from the resident manager, but they will not give out a phone number of the tenant.
"Now what"?
4. Leave a note on the apartment door of the offending car that was parked in the parking lot saying to contact you via phone or email regarding possible damage to your car. Nobody contacts you.
"Now what"?
5. Keep your eyes open and one day you see who walks to a car in that parking stall or in and out of that apartment. So now you know what they look like. But, not sure if they were the one's that actually caused damage to your car.
"Now what"?
6. One day you see that person in the parking lot and approach them, introduce yourself, and ask if they had the car or knew of the car that hit your car. The person says that they don't know but will let you know if they find out in the future and walks away. Or confronts you that it was an accident and your car was sticking out of your parking space to much so it was partially your fault as well so it'd be a good idea to forget about it.
Or the guy that did hit your car is evasive, says he didn't do it, and is 2x your size and in a bad mood and wants to hit you.
"Now what"?
7. So you do #1-6 and now it's forever awkward to see that other person in the parking lot.
"Now what"?

See?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Similar thing happened to us. Except it was the car next to us and they were still parked there. The owner never came back. We filed a report that stated the car had matching damage and our paint on his car. We had photos of damage but no witness. The insurance came back and said the driver said they didn’t do it and there’s no witness so case closed. Unfortunately don,t think there’s a lot you can do here.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Pre-covid, parked on street in front of friend's house for evening. Come out and driver rear mirror destroyed. Electric operation. Blindspot sensing. Color-coded to body. $750 later all was fine.
Topic Author
czaj

Post by czaj »

Thanks to everyone for their perspectives and advice.

Here's what I'm doing:
• I am waiting to hear back from my insurance company regarding UM/UIM coverage, to mitigate my losses to a $300 deductible. I believe they are waiting to receive the police report filed to prove it's a hit-and-run
• I plan on getting a second estimate at a body shop tomorrow.

My camera got an example of the oversized truck who backs into his spot every day; this matches exactly where the damage on my car is. For those interested, here is the video:

I have sent this to the the property manager. Even if he does not own up to it, I wanted to let the property manager know that I am concerned it would happen again.

Now that I have this video, is it crazy if I just put a note on his door asking if he hit my car with a screenshot from the video of his truck using my spot to back in? I assume there is not an insurance route I can go with this evidence? At this point, it is just closure for me in that I asked the likely suspect. If he wants to blatantly lie to me, that's on him.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

If you want to confront him directly, be prepared for it to get ugly. You still have to deal with him an a neighbor for the future.

You're going to essentially call him a liar to his face, or at least he's gonna see it that way. Not worth it. If he DID do it he's going to keep lying and be pissed off. If he didn't do it, or truly didn't notice, then he's never going to agree to pay a thousand bucks in damage based on a video that doesn't show it happening.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Are the parking spots assigned? So that truck parks there every time?

Something like the video you just showed, I would confront the person and just see what happens. I agree that truck almost certainly hit your car. I'd also measure the height of their bumper to make sure it matches. Even if you get no monetary compensation, I would want to call him out on it.

My guess is, you won't get the satisfaction you want out of it, but I personally couldn't just pretend it never happened without at least confronting the person.
Topic Author
czaj

Post by czaj »

illumination wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:34 am Are the parking spots assigned? So that truck parks there every time?

Something like the video you just showed, I would confront the person and just see what happens. I agree that truck almost certainly hit your car. I'd also measure the height of their bumper to make sure it matches. Even if you get no monetary compensation, I would want to call him out on it.

My guess is, you won't get the satisfaction you want out of it, but I personally couldn't just pretend it never happened without at least confronting the person.
Yes, parking spots are assigned, and he parks there every day. I work from home so do not use my car every day and keep my car pulled all the way to the parking curb. The height/shape of the damage match his steel front bumper cage/plate, but it did not have any marks on it the day after I found the damage.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

I would request a different spot from property management. Also, if you pursue it, I would do it by providing the footage and licence plate of this person to your insurance company and let their experts contact the insurance of the car in question. If they chose not to, it is a good sign of the cost/benefit for likely outcome they would expect from a legal action.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

tomd37 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:38 pm I was always under the impression that this type of damage, "hit and run", is covered under your comprehensive insurance if you have it. You may have a deductible involved there also. I recommend you check with your insurance company. I seem to remember my daughter in the early 1990s being struck in a parking lot by such a driver. I think my insurance company paid it under my comprehensive policy, under which I have never had a deductible (had full coverage).
YMMV, but certainly not in the four states I have lived in. In fact, my experience is the exact opposite. Comprehensive coverage specifically excludes collision.

For example, comprehensive coverage will pay for a stolen car not recovered or damaged due to theft of parts or vandalism. However, in many states it will not cover collision damage to a stolen vehicle and will only be covered if you also have collision coverage.

YMMV applies to almost everything regarding vehicle insurance. Coverage requirements vary significantly state to state. It is unwise to make any blanket statement based on your limited experience
Topic Author
czaj

Post by czaj »

Here are some images for those interested to add to the camera footage above. I understand that this probably won't be too costly to fix and I am too persistent :happy. But I think it's very clear it was the truck.

cacophony

Post by cacophony »

I agree that it's almost certainly the truck based on what you've posted. Have you measured the height of the circled hook and compared to the damage area on your car?
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

With this video, you can ask the person point blank if he did it. Show him the video and give him the benefit of the doubt that he may not realize at that time. But if he didn’t realize, he seems to be under influence. You’ll get more information on who your neighbor really is. Work with the rent office as well. If he’s not a good neighbor, look to move out at the end of your lease.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Topic Author
czaj

Post by czaj »

cacophony wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 am I agree that it's almost certainly the truck based on what you've posted. Have you measured the height of the circled hook and compared to the damage area on your car?
Not precisely. I used my body/coat as a reference when comparing the damage to it, but it lined up. Was not trying to lurk around his truck. I may take some more measurements.

There is also a right angle scratch to the right the dents, which would seem to line up with his bumper plate. The height and angle at the bottom of the bumper plate also seems to match the height and angle of the lower dents on the trunk and bumper.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Unfortunately I don't think the video is convincing alone as evidence. Unless someone has witnessed it along with the video you would have the smoking gun.
Years ago when we were living in an apartment. A neighbor backed into my car and smashed in the tail light and permanently bent the trunk and bumper. A neighbor had witnessed the accident. The female that did it did not admit to the damage. I then took my Arnold Schwarzenegger almost like body over to ask her husband about it and said I would call the police to report a hit and run if they do not provide insurance information or pay for the damage. He then admitted to his wife doing the damage and gave me the insurance information. The husband was very apologetic and said she has very bad driving record and didn't want to make another insurance claim.
Today it still bothers me but not as much as it did when I was younger. My, DW and DD cars have been damaged in hit and runs several times in my life.
reddison

Post by reddison »

Once I came home from work and our garage door was open. My neighbor from across the street was in my garage looking at the back of my wife's car. I asked what he was doing and he said someone had hit his son's car that he'd parked on the street directly behind my driveway. Really ticked me off as no one from my household (and no one we knew) had hit the car. And we would have told him and paid for if we'd done it. It left a bad taste in my mouth and to this day, I don't like the guy.

I had someone else hit my car while at a restaurant and not leave a note - twice. Both times it cost about $900-950 to repair and we have a $1,000 deductible. The first time I called the police, waited for an hour in 95F heat. They said, do you really want us to write a report, stating it wouldn't do any good. I asked for the report since I had waited that long. The 2nd time I didn't even bother with the police. It's very frustrating but I paid it and moved on.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Now when you do have to leave a note -be very careful - take lots of pictures of the car and license plate and document the exact dent/scratch you caused.

I had this encounter in Oakland, CA in Home Depot - I left a note - I took pictures - I called my Allstate agent.

Two people filed a claim - one person Allstate closed the claim with - had a Ford Van - which was not at all the Car I reported - then the car owner filed a claim. Allstate took care of all of it - even though I clearly told them and provided pictures of the car that was damaged - An old very beat up Cadillac.
illumination

Post by illumination »

czaj wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:31 am Here are some images for those interested to add to the camera footage above. I understand that this probably won't be too costly to fix and I am too persistent :happy. But I think it's very clear it was the truck.

I think that's probably closer to $2k+ worth of damage, I can't imagine a quality body shop fixing that damage for $950 plus the cost of getting a rental for a few days.

I don't blame you at all for not just letting it go. That angled crease seems to line up pretty perfectly with his angled bumper. And the deep scratch underneath with his tow hook bolt.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Dude2 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 pm Sorry this happened to you, but, no, I would not go around asking everybody what they saw and playing detective. Anecdotally, my neighbor just chased down a guy that hit his car on the Interstate and ran. This resulted in him getting a torn rotator cuff that will require surgery and 12 weeks of rehab (not the hit and run, the subsequent altercation in which he was thrown to the ground).
This is why I would not even dream of conducting such an investigation. Even if the area is a generally 'classy' and/or friendly, people who don't leave notes when they damage other people's cars are far more likely to be hostile, 'off' mentally or both than the general population in the same area. And in some places there's a higher frequency of hostile people in the general population than other areas (and perhaps depending on what your background appears to be, vs. theirs, from your appearance).
Topic Author
czaj

Post by czaj »

JackoC wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:30 pm
Dude2 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 pm Sorry this happened to you, but, no, I would not go around asking everybody what they saw and playing detective. Anecdotally, my neighbor just chased down a guy that hit his car on the Interstate and ran. This resulted in him getting a torn rotator cuff that will require surgery and 12 weeks of rehab (not the hit and run, the subsequent altercation in which he was thrown to the ground).
This is why I would not even dream of conducting such an investigation. Even if the area is a generally 'classy' and/or friendly, people who don't leave notes when they damage other people's cars are far more likely to be hostile, 'off' mentally or both than the general population in the same area. And in some places there's a higher frequency of hostile people in the general population than other areas (and perhaps depending on what your background appears to be, vs. theirs, from your appearance).
Agreed, but I honestly don’t think he would know he hit my car with the truck. I think that area of the car dents easily, and we’re talking steel vs aluminum. He probably barely touched it.