Honda Accord 2nd key fob no longer working. Do I call the dealership?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LesBleus**

Honda Accord 2nd key fob no longer working. Do I call the dealership?

Post by LesBleus** »

My 2016 Honda Accord EX-L second key fob no longer works. It was working before and I changed battery and it is still not working. Nothing happens when I press the lock or unlock button nor when I push the start button. I did some research and found instructions https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blog/h ... nda-remote on programing a key fob.

Not sure if this is the correct course to fix this issue. Anyone had a similar experience? :confused
Horologium

Re: Honda Accord 2nd key fob no longer working. Do I call the dealership?

Post by Horologium »

I have a 2016 Accord Touring. I have never had an issue with one of the key fobs, but when I bought my car the dealer told me that, if I ever lost one of the key fobs, they would give me a free replacement. I don't know if this is a Honda benefit or something the dealer provides, but it may be worth looking into.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

I've had some luck getting new fobs made at Westlakes of all places. It seems they now have deals with most of the dealers to make keys and fobs for most makes and models.

The big thing for me is finding out the work hours of the one guy that is trained on how to make them and getting the car to him.
Other than that yea the dealer at $300 a pop.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We lost our backup key for our Avalon. I looked online for other options but was never comfortable with any. We had Toyota program a new key for about $300 (ouch!).
wilked

Post by wilked »

LesBleus** wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:07 pm My 2016 Honda Accord EX-L second key fob no longer works. It was working before and I changed battery and it is still not working. Nothing happens when I press the lock or unlock button nor when I push the start button. I did some research and found instructions https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blog/h ... nda-remote on programing a key fob.

Not sure if this is the correct course to fix this issue. Anyone had a similar experience? :confused
Hard to tell from your post, but was it working when you went to change the batter?

Was it - working, change battery, not working

or

working, not working, change battery, still not working
Point

Post by Point »

Auto parts stores have a tester that you could try out to see if it’s the fob. Could the replacement battery have been bad?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

If you decide to go with the dealer, try to negotiate it as an extra. Bringing the car in for new tires or a regular service? Just complain to the guy that your 2nd fob doesn't work. Act like it's not a big deal but something you might give him a couple bucks for.

If you call them up blindly and ask for fob reprogramming they'll give you some awful retail price for that.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Kind of a long shot.... but when my Accord key fob died, I bought cheap battery replacement online and the the battery was dead on arrival, so the fob didn't work. Additionally, some of those batteries look very similar, but they may not be exactly same. So personally, before taking it the dealership , I'd get another high quality battery (energizer, duracell) and make 100% sure it is exactly the same type # as the original and try again. When the key fob is open, make sure there isn't an obvious internal defect that can be easily fixed with some home made ingenuity (been there) as battery is the most common issue by far.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I saw this article online, hope it helps:

https://honda-tech.com/how-tos/a/honda- ... ing-376749
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

After you change the battery you have to reprogram the key. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to do it. You don’t need to take it to a dealer.

My wife’s key fob for her Acura quit working. I go a new OEM fob from this place: https://myaccount.carandtruckremotes.co ... del=Accord

Then I used a YouTube video to program it. Saved me about $200 if I went to a dealer.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Bad battery? Battery inserted backwards?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just FYI with as expensive as the high tech keys can be when you buy a new car negotiate for them to give you more than 2 keys. With my last car I got 4 so that if I ever lose a key it will not be a big deal.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Programing a keyfob is usually easy if you have one working fob.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I programmed my own key fob for my Honda. Took a couple minutes and the key cost ~$10 on eBay.
Instead of having to make a copy of the key, I simply took the internals of the new key and put it into my old key.

If you're unsure which key to get, I would search on a Honda forum and you can look up a YouTube video on how to program it.
Topic Author
LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** »

wilked wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:10 am
LesBleus** wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:07 pm My 2016 Honda Accord EX-L second key fob no longer works. It was working before and I changed battery and it is still not working. Nothing happens when I press the lock or unlock button nor when I push the start button. I did some research and found instructions https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blog/h ... nda-remote on programing a key fob.

Hard to tell from your post, but was it working when you went to change the batter?

Was it - working, change battery, not working

or

working, not working, change battery, still not working
It was working a a spare key fob then it stopped, so I changed battery and still did not work, thx.
Topic Author
LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** »

bi0hazard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:51 am Kind of a long shot.... but when my Accord key fob died, I bought cheap battery replacement online and the the battery was dead on arrival, so the fob didn't work. Additionally, some of those batteries look very similar, but they may not be exactly same. So personally, before taking it the dealership , I'd get another high quality battery (energizer, duracell) and make 100% sure it is exactly the same type # as the original and try again. When the key fob is open, make sure there isn't an obvious internal defect that can be easily fixed with some home made ingenuity (been there) as battery is the most common issue by far.
Ok I'll give that a try, thanks.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Luke Duke wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 am Programing a keyfob is usually easy if you have one working fob.
+1. I've had to reprogram a spare key for my VW. I used the working key and was able to program it by looking up a youtube video.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

LesBleus** wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:20 am It was working a a spare key fob then it stopped, so I changed battery and still did not work, thx.
Did you follow the manual to start the car with a dead key fob battery? I'm not familiar with an accord but on other vehicles with start buttons, you physically touch the fob to the car near or on the start button and the car will still start. It would be a safety issue if you cannot start the car just because the key fob battery is dead.

This will separate whether it is a programming issue with the keyfob or just the keyless entry portion. There are other things you can do if it's just the keyless entry portion like trying a different battery.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Like others here the dealer cost was high...I am thinking about $250 when my Equinox key needed replacement.

Local locksmith did it for $100 including programing.

In the past I have purchased from auto parts store but the remote didnt work. Didnt realize I had to program it.

ed
rai

Post by rai »

I did mobile locksmith for half the cost for my Hyundai. The key fobs look identical.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
Topic Author
LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** »

Point wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:50 am Auto parts stores have a tester that you could try out to see if it’s the fob. Could the replacement battery have been bad?
Bingo! I ordered a Duracell replacement battery and it worked! Thank you! :sharebeer
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

LesBleus** wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:16 am
Point wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:50 am Auto parts stores have a tester that you could try out to see if it’s the fob. Could the replacement battery have been bad?
Bingo! I ordered a Duracell replacement battery and it worked! Thank you! :sharebeer
Glad to hear that worked for you, but I'd also recommend looking into mmmodem's suggestion to check the manual and see if there is a way to start the car with a dead battery in the key fob. I have the LX trim, which still supports keyed entry and has a keyed starter, and I've tested that I can unlock the doors and start the car with all batteries out of all key fobs. So I know if my battery dies unexpectedly, I'm not going to get stuck somewhere.