Where to buy a diamond?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JHU ALmuni

Where to buy a diamond?

Post by JHU ALmuni »

Looking to buy a diamond for custom ring. Any recommendations on reputable websites? I'm not too familiar with diamond pricing and looking to get the best value for my budget.

I'm also open for pre-owned diamonds.

Thanks
Watty

Re: Where to buy a diamond?

Post by Watty »

There are lots and lots of threads on engagement rings that you can look up by using the search box which is in the top right corner of most screens.

JHU ALmuni wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm ...looking to get the best value for my budget.
I am not an expert or anything but you will likely get the best value by buying man made diamonds. Search those threads for the words "synthetic" or "lab grown". This are chemically the same as mined diamonds and usually only an expert with special tools can tell them apart. These are real diamonds unlike diamond substitutes like Cubic Zirconia or Moissanite.

Using the synthetic diamonds is also better environmentally and you do not need to be concerned with getting a "Blood Diamond" that may have been mined in a civil war zone using slave or child labor.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

JHU ALmuni wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm Looking to buy a diamond for custom ring. Any recommendations on reputable websites? I'm not too familiar with diamond pricing and looking to get the best value for my budget.

Thanks

BlueNile

You must get a GIA certified diamond.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

There was a recent thread Engagement Ring that had some good advice as well as names of on-line retailers.
Link - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=336963
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc »

Highly recommend you visit https://www.pricescope.com/— the bogleheads equivalent for jewelry. If you post the characteristics you are after and your budget, their community will be glad to recommend you stones to choose from.

Some reputable online retailers that jump to mind are Brian Gavin Diamonds, Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, and Blue Nile.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Big City Pawnshops! Local dealers and such...
Just gotta know the 4 C's (Color,Carrat,Cut,Clarity)
They were Used when they came outa that Volcano!
I've literary seen 10 drawer Tool boxes filled sized by drawer - pick your Stone & Matching set!
(a couple in our Condo that made jewlery gave me a real lesson. they're a commodity)
and I went to a buddies divorce, and when he left the courthouse he looked around saw a pawn an swapped the goldring for a NICE 1ct sol)
phantom

Post by phantom »

I just spent 2 weeks learning about this stuff from scratch myself. There is quite a bit to know and in addition to pricescope, I found

https://niceice.com/
https://beyond4cs.com/
https://www.stonealgo.com/

to be useful. If you just buy something on bluenile without educating yourself a bit first, odds are you'd pick something bad or overpriced.

If I were advising a friend who didn't want to spend anytime learning about this stuff, I would just say buy one of the inhouse diamonds from whiteflash.com in G-H color and Vs1-Vs2-(or maybe SI1) clarity. Their inhouse cuts are held in very high regard, and finding the best cut is normally the most time consuming part.

Having said this, I bought something from bluenile and it looks to be quite good. So it is definitely possible to avoid the worst mistakes people make by reading through the above resources.

Good luck!
Last edited by phantom on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

JHU ALmuni wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm Looking to buy a diamond for custom ring. Any recommendations on reputable websites? I'm not too familiar with diamond pricing and looking to get the best value for my budget.

Thanks
When you say custom ring, are you making it yourself or are you getting a jewelry store to make it? Stay away from man made diamonds unless you're really trying to save money. Best value is probably online, but I'd prefer to go to a reputable local jewelry store (not one of the chains) and have them show you a range of diamonds. There are so many cuts and levels of quality. You'll also want to make sure whatever cut you get will fit your custom design.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Is February your annual buy a diamond month?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=303449&p=5012116#p5012116
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

So if you are open to preowned that opens up a world of great value and a small amount of additional risk. We bought my wife's diamond, about 40 years ago, from a small independent jeweler. Might as well call him a pawn broker but they were technically not legal at that time and place. She loves it and continues to love it. She wanted a yellow diamond and that is what she got, the point being that the path I'm describing will probably not get you the highest quality in terms of the cut, color, and clarity. If that is super important or your are gonna get quizzed on the numbers and compare rings with magnifying glasses then some of the other advice is what you should follow. If you are going to look at stones / mountings and get what you like, and are not put off by the "source" then that is the way to go.

Find a local jeweler/ gold buyer/seller who deals in used jewelry, ideally one who will mount in a custom set you like. Insist that you may bring it to another jeweler for appraisal. That way you know for sure it is a diamond. If you get a 'replacement or insurance appraisal' it should be much higher than the cost. It is all bs in my opinion, but the relative numbers should be a guide.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

I had a great and very straightforward experience Buying online from GemsNY.com.

Was researching through rarecarat.com, but ultimately went through the website directly. Had good communication, great pricing, and verified locally after purchase I received what was ordered.
benderbr

Post by benderbr »

Diamonds are good for cutting tile. It's hard to justify buying them for jewelry once you learn more about where they come from and how they were popularized. This tradition has been declining for years now. There are many reasons to skip diamonds including funding conflicts, slavery, and just plain getting ripped off.

One positive outcome of the pandemic is the acceleration of the crash in the diamond industry.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timtreadgo ... it-is/amp/

If you're open to alternatives check out this link for some interesting examples.
https://www.theknot.com/content/non-dia ... ment-rings
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

Costco
100factorial

Post by 100factorial »

David S Diamonds in NYC
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

anon3838 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 pmCostco
Def, Costco but they don't sell loose diamonds. But if looking for a diamond engagement ring look there. Plus if they say no you can return it.
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

2nd Costco and Bluenile.com (frequently has good sale / coupon codes).
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Antwerp, Belgium.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Watty wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 pm There are lots and lots of threads on engagement rings that you can look up by using the search box which is in the top right corner of most screens.

JHU ALmuni wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm ...looking to get the best value for my budget.
I am not an expert or anything but you will likely get the best value by buying man made diamonds. Search those threads for the words "synthetic" or "lab grown". This are chemically the same as mined diamonds and usually only an expert with special tools can tell them apart. These are real diamonds unlike diamond substitutes like Cubic Zirconia or Moissanite.

Using the synthetic diamonds is also better environmentally and you do not need to be concerned with getting a "Blood Diamond" that may have been mined in a civil war zone using slave or child labor.
+1. We used https://puregrowndiamonds.com/ (formerly gemesis). We liked that the diamond was "real" and presumably should last forever (CZ / Moissanite starts to wear per my understanding) but at a substantial discount to wildly sourced diamonds, on top the of human element.