All In One Computer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J295

All In One Computer?

Post by J295 »

87 year old dad's desktop/tower/printer are in his basement and stairs are a problem. So, we are wondering if a AIO computer with remote printer makes sense? There isn't room for the current traditional desktop set up on the first floor, but we could easily make an AIO with a remote printer work. Laptop is NOT a good option for him as the 24 inch screen is a must. Likewise, he's not interested in ipad, chromebook, etc. He and mom both have smart phones and text and FT, and use mom's ipad, but dad is locked in on needing the big screen (only one eye works).

Computer is used primarily for email/reviewing account online/printing off docs.

Does the AIO make sense? My wife and I have Lenovo laptops at home so lean towards that brand for an AIO for dad but are open to anything that is easy to use/large screen.

Thank you.
cheese_breath

Re: All In One Computer?

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't know anything about All-In-Ones, but could he use a 17 inch laptop and a bigger font?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:33 pm I don't know anything about All-In-Ones, but could he use a 17 inch laptop and a bigger font?
Thanks. That's an option but not a preferred one because he likes the full 24 inch and the stand alone keyboard. Worth keeping on the menu pending a final decision.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

How about a tiny, inexpensive Raspberry Pi?
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Hi. I moved to all-in-one computers from laptops a few years ago, after realizing that I sat in the same location with the laptop 99% of the time. I find that all-in-one computers are a good solution that provides space savings, reasonable cost, and better ergonomics than a laptop. So, I fully endorse your proposal if this reflects your needs.

In terms of models, it's not so important to focus on build quality, since you won't be moving the computer around like a laptop. I'm using a generic ASUS one at the moment, which I chose due to superior performance for the price and lack of bloatware. Before that I had some sort of iMac (which I installed Windows on).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If you have some free wall space (28" x 18") in front of where your Dad will use the computer, one suggestion is to get a 32" LED TV (Insignia brand at Best Buy are highly rated and that size runs $100-$125 on sale) and a tiny desktop. You can get a Lenovo ThinkCentre tiny computer (refurbished) for $150-$200 on Newegg. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse and the only thing that needs to sit on the desk/table is the keyboard and mouse.

You could also get a SFF computer that won't take up too much floor space under or next to the work area...
Elric

Post by Elric »

We are very happy with our HP Elite desktop. It's not an all in one but has a tiny footprint. Less than one foot square sitting flat, and I believe you can stand it on end for a smaller footprint. Then you have the freedom to use whatever keyboard and monitor work best.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
megabad

Post by megabad »

I am not a fan of All in Ones since they combine the screen and hardware together increasing the likelihood of system failure. I would go with a mini client or small horizontal tower that you could place beneath a standalone monitor. That way, if monitor dies, you could just swap another one in. You get the space saving benefits and the separate benefits. Also, this way you could get him a 32" monitor and leave the 24" back in 2005
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

Thanks for the insights. Good things for me to help dad analyze
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

megabad wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:11 pm I am not a fan of All in Ones since they combine the screen and hardware together increasing the likelihood of system failure. I would go with a mini client or small horizontal tower that you could place beneath a standalone monitor. That way, if monitor dies, you could just swap another one in. You get the space saving benefits and the separate benefits. Also, this way you could get him a 32" monitor and leave the 24" back in 2005
I was going to agree with your statement and say something along the lines that I think my monitor is now three desktops old and still works great. But then I saw the 24" remark. I believe mine is about 20". Perhaps I need to start checking out new monitors!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Some sort of random thoughts.

A big factor is what your budget is. If the cost is a factor then there are likely less expensive options than an all in one.

Some of the new "desktops" are tiny now so I would not automatically rule those out.

Be sure to check on the aspect ratio of the screen. Some screens are widescreen and may have a screen size ratio of 16:9 instead of old standard 4:3 so a 24 inch monitor may not be as tall as you are expecting.

A basic stand alone 27" monitor starts at about $150 and is really not much more than a 24" monitor so that is also a reasonable option.

Dell or Lenovo would be the brands that I would choose. Just make sure that it has at least 8GB memory and it will support the monitor if you buy it separately.

If there is space for it I would suggest just buying a $100 Brother laser printer instead of trying to deal with a remote printer that is upstairs.

Buy it with a credit card that extends your warranty. Many credit cards dropped that last year so check to make sure that yours still has that. If you by a computer at Costco with a Costco credit card you should get a four year warranty.

One problem with having a second computer is that he may end up needing something like a spreadsheet that is on the upstairs computer and if he makes a copy of it then he could have two different versions of the spreadsheets. Once it is up and running he may want to move everything to the new computer.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

We got my FIL a Dell all in 1 to replace his tower + monitor

24" or so. A few bucks off on black Friday. Easy setup. Kinda like a discount iMac but more than enough for his needs. He seems happy with it.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

DW didn’t like the clutter of our desktop, with a large case on the floor and when it came time to replace it, she suggested an all in one. I was against it from the start because I could foresee the breakdown issue in the future, but I gave in. It’s a Dell with a 24 inch touchscreen that doesn’t have a stand, just an easel type leg in the back. This makes for easy dusting. It’s an i5 with 8GB, a DVD writer drive, and a 1 TB hard drive. There’s a wireless mouse on the desk and a wireless keyboard in a pullout drawer where the front swivels out of the way for typing. I set up a backup drive out of view behind the screen. The touchscreen was a waste as we barely used it as it was cumbersome and it started acting up after 18 months or so. We disabled it. The 1 TB hard drive died after another year or so, but we sent the all in one back to Dell and they replaced it for $150 and paid for shipping both ways. I didn’t think that was a bad deal. The backup drive came in handy then.
Conclusion: it does look neater, the touchscreen was a waste, maybe an SSD would be more reliable.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

We have a touchscreen all-in-one that's lasted us for years. The concerns about it breaking down never occurred. It's gone from Windows 7, to Windows 8, to Windows 10. We still have it, but it's been functionally replaced by a huge 32 inch monitor and a tiny footprint Windows 10 PC. The Samsung monitor was about $220 from Costco, and the small form factor PC was about $250 from Amazon last year. (The PC has memory, solid state drive, and OS installed. I had to provide monitor, keyboard, and mouse.)

This has been working out very well. We updated in February/March last year at the onset of COVID. Prices may be slightly different since then.

Here's a listing of the type of system we used. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=mini+pc&i= ... _sb_noss_1 They work out well for basic computing. There are more powerful versions if they're needed.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

My first AIO melted when playing an online interactive game. The comment above about monitors being the weak link should be heeded.

I don't play video games anymore, so I got another (Dell) AIO that has worked fine up until now. I looks much better in my office than a regular PC.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
emoore

Post by emoore »

What's his budget? If around $1k I'd just go for an iMac. Easy to setup and use.
jpohio

Post by jpohio »

27” iMac?
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

J295 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:29 pm 87 year old dad's desktop/tower/printer are in his basement and stairs are a problem. So, we are wondering if a AIO computer with remote printer makes sense? There isn't room for the current traditional desktop set up on the first floor, but we could easily make an AIO with a remote printer work. Laptop is NOT a good option for him as the 24 inch screen is a must. Likewise, he's not interested in ipad, chromebook, etc. He and mom both have smart phones and text and FT, and use mom's ipad, but dad is locked in on needing the big screen (only one eye works).

Computer is used primarily for email/reviewing account online/printing off docs.

Does the AIO make sense? My wife and I have Lenovo laptops at home so lean towards that brand for an AIO for dad but are open to anything that is easy to use/large screen.

Thank you.
Don't buy an all in come. Consider an Intel Nuc.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... s/nuc.html
dbr

Post by dbr »

Possibly an obvious choice if price is not an issue is an iMac, 21.5" or 27". The 27" is a BIG screen. You can get 1TB SSD drive with either now.

I am NOT an Apple fanboy, but the option really should be mentioned. Having an iPad in the house suggests some participation in the Apple ecosystem. What are the smartphones - are they moving to new smartphones soon (iPhone?).

Looks like several of us are having the same thought.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

J295 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:29 pm 87 year old dad's desktop/tower/printer are in his basement and stairs are a problem. So, we are wondering if a AIO computer with remote printer makes sense? There isn't room for the current traditional desktop set up on the first floor, but we could easily make an AIO with a remote printer work. Laptop is NOT a good option for him as the 24 inch screen is a must. Likewise, he's not interested in ipad, chromebook, etc. He and mom both have smart phones and text and FT, and use mom's ipad, but dad is locked in on needing the big screen (only one eye works).

Thank you.
Rather than all in one, I would suggest looking for a Mini-ITX form factor computer and a big fancy monitor. If you look up how small Mini-ITX is, I believe some can even mount on the back of the monitor. This preserves flexbility if one or the other breaks.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

I had an iMac all-in-one that was the most reliable computer I ever owned. It had very high build quality -- and of course being Apple it was expensive as well. I would go weeks without even restarting it, while Windows machines need to be restarted every couple of days at least.

I tend to steer the older folks I know towards Macs if they can afford it. You never need to worry about them and they just plain work.

Windows machines always need fussing. I would totally go with Apple, myself, but I like to play games so I am stuck with Windows.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

J295 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:29 pm Does the AIO make sense? My wife and I have Lenovo laptops at home so lean towards that brand for an AIO for dad but are open to anything that is easy to use/large screen.
Lenovo makes some of the better AIOs, some quite strikingly styled. Make sure you get something with an SSD - it feels much more responsive. Unfortunately, AIOs with spinning HDDs (alone or in combination with an SSD) are still fairly common.

One reason not to go for an AIO would be serviceability and upgradability, which will be much more limited than with a traditional desktop. Monitors can easily last 10 years, while the computer bits are unlikely to make it nearly that long, and so an AIO is likely to be "wasteful" in some way.

One possible alternative is something like the Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny (decent ones go for $250 on eBay, look for a 6th-gen Core i5), which takes up next to no space, and an external monitor. I'm writing this on just such a setup, costs around $400 incl. a good monitor. Likely to last longer and will be more upgradable/serviceable than most consumer AIOs.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Chromeboxes are still a thing and he could use a giant screen with one as well as a keyboard and mouse of his choosing.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebox-P ... ljaz10cnVl
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

02nz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:17 pm One possible alternative is something like the Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny (decent ones go for $250 on eBay, look for a 6th-gen Core i5), which takes up next to no space, and an external monitor. I'm writing this on just such a setup, costs around $400 incl. a good monitor. Likely to last longer and will be more upgradable/serviceable than most consumer AIOs.
Yeah, those are an example of Mini-ITX. Also look at outlet.lenovo.com. There's a tiny model on there with an AMD A12 and 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD for $489.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Makefile wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm
02nz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:17 pm One possible alternative is something like the Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny (decent ones go for $250 on eBay, look for a 6th-gen Core i5), which takes up next to no space, and an external monitor. I'm writing this on just such a setup, costs around $400 incl. a good monitor. Likely to last longer and will be more upgradable/serviceable than most consumer AIOs.
Yeah, those are an example of Mini-ITX. Also look at outlet.lenovo.com. There's a tiny model on there with an AMD A12 and 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD for $489.
I don't believe the ThinkCentre Tinys are mini-ITX. AFAIK they are proprietary.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I'm one-eyed guy in my eighties and agree with the suggestions to consider a big monitor and a SFF desktop. But make sure the monitor is high res or the display will be blocky and annoying.

I use a 32" LG HD 4G from Costco on sale for $350 about a year and a half ago. I normally split the screen in half but can have up to eight windows. Running a single window full screen is just too big and forces me to move my head too much.

My short experience with an older AIO was not good. A friend left one with me to be "fixed". Nothing was broke, she simply forgot how to turn it on. I cleaned up the software and played with it a little and found it painfully slow. Upgrading factory-made computers can be a hassle and I would not care to monkey with that beast. Maybe today you can buy one that performs decently but you'd have to research the issue.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:07 pm We got my FIL a Dell all in 1 to replace his tower + monitor

24" or so. A few bucks off on black Friday. Easy setup. Kinda like a discount iMac but more than enough for his needs. He seems happy with it.
I’ve had one of these from Dell for several years. It’s got a nice clean look, and works great. It’s paired to a wireless printer. It does everything a family needs a computer to do.....
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Can also look into the Lenovo Tiny in One monitors (TIO). This allows for the Tiny to sit in a compartment behind the monitor. Basically acts like an AIO while keeping the monitor/computer separate.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

All in one is a bad idea. Try getting a 15" laptop with a 34" monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. This is what I used.

Check out Costco.com.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

One option is to use a small form factor desktop. I have one that is 8 inch x 8 in x 3 in. this can be used with a larger screen

You can also connect 24 inch monitor to a laptop thrugh hdmi or vga cable. It is a simple setup.

All in one is also a good option. But it is probably going to need a desk to put on. Once you agree to a desk, the mini pc or desktop would not be any different in terms of space requirement.

The thing is all in one is not a space saver, you need a keyboard and mouse as well so it is same as other options. You printer can be elsewhere if going wireless.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Drovor wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:02 pm
Can also look into the Lenovo Tiny in One monitors (TIO). This allows for the Tiny to sit in a compartment behind the monitor. Basically acts like an AIO while keeping the monitor/computer separate.
Good recommendation, I forgot about that. Best of both worlds. One cable powers both, and no need for any connections between the two (everything is built into that compartment). The TIO's speakers and webcam aren't the best, but they aren't on most AIOs.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Watty wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:01 pm One problem with having a second computer is that he may end up needing something like a spreadsheet that is on the upstairs computer and if he makes a copy of it then he could have two different versions of the spreadsheets. Once it is up and running he may want to move everything to the new computer.
If you have Windows Pro, can you access the other computer via Windows Remote Desktop Connection?
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Pick apple or PC first.

Not sure how with-it your parents are but having the computer an apple when their phone is an iphone makes my family-tech-support life easier.

Assuming apple, choice is straightforward; 27 inch iMac

Assuming PC, you have a lot more choices. Microsoft Surface Studio is crazy expensive but is sort of my hot dream.\

That said - I strongly recommend what I did; I bought a laptop and a monitor... cheaper, more powerful, more flexible.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
30west

Post by 30west »

I got a cheap, sleek AIO from costco 2 years ago. I use it for browsing, turnotax, etc. Love the streamlined look and i can use my desk now. I know its a hardware risk, but its not a high end machine. So far so good.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:42 pm How about a tiny, inexpensive Raspberry Pi?
I have many Pis. But it isn’t the most robust solution (SD card life will cause issues) for an 87-yo, and it’s probably best to stick with a familiar OS.

But there are similar sized small form-factor devices such as Intel NUCs or Dell/HP devices that attach behind a monitor, are robust and more powerful and run Windows.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

A few months ago I replaced my 10-year-old HP all-in-one with a brand new HP all-in-one. Same size screen (~23"). Works fine for me.
The new one has SSD as the primary drive, so it is much quieter than the old one. Much lighter weight, too.
My old one was an Intel i3, but this time around I got an i5 -- so I would be able to use virtual backgrounds on Zoom meetings.
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

I bought this SFF for a Blue Iris rig and it works like a charm running 24/7 for 6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074T ... UTF8&psc=1

Comes with kB and mouse, just add a big monitor and wireless printer as others have said and for $400: voila!
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:52 pm
Watty wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:01 pm One problem with having a second computer is that he may end up needing something like a spreadsheet that is on the upstairs computer and if he makes a copy of it then he could have two different versions of the spreadsheets. Once it is up and running he may want to move everything to the new computer.
If you have Windows Pro, can you access the other computer via Windows Remote Desktop Connection?
That's very easily solved by either setting up a shared folder on each of the computers if they are both on a home network and keeping the files you want to access on multiple computers in the shared folder, or you can store such files on OneDrive (or some other cloud service) and access them that way.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

If you're not against a Mac, I would recommend them.

The problem isn't the screen. The problem is eyesight.

Mac desktop OS has great accessibility features for those with low vision and even blind. https://www.apple.com/accessibility/vision/

Also, if you are married for an all-in-one, the iMacs are quite awesome. I would suggest waiting until the fall, as a refresh of the iMacs are expected.

Otherwise, the Mac Mini and a separate screen is a great solution. The Mac Mini was just updated recently and has an amazingly fast processor. If he has iPad apps he likes, many of them will work on his desktop Mac. https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Another option is get a "Mini PC" and keep his favorite 24" monitor. Watch a review on a new model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Swupk8Jr3A
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

AIO sounds like a good option. I had a Dell AIO with 23 inch monitor for 6 years and recently switched to Lenovo 15inch laptop with a Dell 27 inch HD monitor. Based upon my experience with AIO, I prefer my current configuration. There are pros and cons to AIO, but it sounds good for your situation.

The biggest problem I had with Dell AIO was the touch screen stopped working after 3 years. If I could have, I would have replaced the monitor at that time. As it was, I endured that for about 3 years before replacing the entire system.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

jpohio wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:01 pm27” iMac?
Has anyone here have good luck converting a senior to a Mac from a PC.

I’m looking to do similar because of reliability and longevity. Honestly I’m just tired of being my parents dedicated IT guy because there is always something going on with their PC. It is clogged with junk and I can’t teach them to stop clicking and accepting things online.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

acegolfer wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:43 am Another option is get a "Mini PC" and keep his favorite 24" monitor. Watch a review on a new model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Swupk8Jr3A
+1. This is better since he may want to upgrade the monitor later.
dbr

Post by dbr »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 am

I’m looking to do similar because of reliability and longevity. Honestly I’m just tired of being my parents dedicated IT guy because there is always something going on with their PC. It is clogged with junk and I can’t teach them to stop clicking and accepting things online.
I'm a senior and I haven't had luck converting myself from a PC to a Mac. Well, not seriously, they are all the same really, but I have what I have on the PC and would not change it all over. My wife went the iMac route because her sister suggested it. Added up over the years it would have been easier for me if she had gone with PCs. How many times have we messed around with there is no "Ctrl" key on a Mac; it has a different name. We recently bought MSWord for her just so our word processing looks the same on both machines, but there are still minor differences. On the other hand if we were both all Apple that might have made sense. I never changed over to Apple because while employed there was enough work at home or enough cross over from learning at work that a PC made sense. As my Megacorp entered the computer age there was so much chaos between incompatible machines that they finally banned Apple from the workplace and then centralized everything in IT with no Apple. The school where I spend time is all iPad and the teachers have Apple laptops, which turned me into an iPad guru. My best teachers are the kids.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Don't get a screen that is too big unless you can sit further away (which kind of defeats the purpose!).

Bigger is not necessarily better when vision issues are being addressed. Likely a 24" or 27" screen that he can sit reasonably (normal distance) close to will work best.

I do not see a serious downside of a AIO if he doesn't have serious computing requirements, but be mindful of the quality of the stand/base and its adjustability. Again with age and vision issues, site distance and height will likely be a need to adjustable with some fineness.

The iMac and/or Dell XPS AIO would meet the requirement I see as critical, but they aren't cheapest. I have purchased several Dell XPS AIOs and have been happy with them.

A basic SFF desktop and a carefully chosen monitor will likely be a lot cheaper, but also with age, dealing with clutter and configurations are a bit harder with this approach. the AIO has the advantage of literally only having to be plugged into the power outlet if you use WiFi. Don't discount the value of that, especially with aging users (I have seen the challenges of this several times in recent years). Simply reaching for the cables can become difficult eventually. :(
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:42 pm How about a tiny, inexpensive Raspberry Pi?
This is not viable as a "it just has to work" solution for an 87 year old. Even the pi 4 is slow as a full-time desktop compared to any Intel (or Mac ARM) solution, and there are too many things that can require tinkering. Even minor things like sound and remote printing will require some Googling to setup at a minimum.

I also wouldn't even think about switching someone at that age (apologies) to a new OS ecosystem. If this person knows Windows or Mac don't change it now.

Since full monitor and kb are preferred I'd say an I3 NUC or the new Mac Mini if you want to keep your old monitor and stay affordable. For all in one I'd look at Dell XPS through small business store with extended in home support, or an iMac.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Beautiful computers. Mine is from 2008 and 21 inch screen. The sound from it is really good too.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

dbr wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:18 am

I'm a senior and I haven't had luck converting myself from a PC to a Mac. Well, not seriously, they are all the same really, but I have what I have on the PC and would not change it all over. My wife went the iMac route because her sister suggested it. Added up over the years it would have been easier for me if she had gone with PCs. How many times have we messed around with there is no "Ctrl" key on a Mac; it has a different name. We recently bought MSWord for her just so our word processing looks the same on both machines, but there are still minor differences. On the other hand if we were both all Apple that might have made sense. I never changed over to Apple because while employed there was enough work at home or enough cross over from learning at work that a PC made sense. As my Megacorp entered the computer age there was so much chaos between incompatible machines that they finally banned Apple from the workplace and then centralized everything in IT with no Apple. The school where I spend time is all iPad and the teachers have Apple laptops, which turned me into an iPad guru. My best teachers are the kids.
Sounds like you are very PC competent and having an easy to use trouble free Mac experience is not a big deal for you.

I switched my mom from a google phone to an iPhone about 6 months ago. It took a little getting used to, but because it is so similar to her iPad the transition was not that big of deal. She now prefers the iPhone. Next it to switch my dad to an iPhone. I think the last item will be an iMac from an old PC. Once there, everything will just work seamlessly.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 am I’m looking to do similar because of reliability and longevity. Honestly I’m just tired of being my parents dedicated IT guy because there is always something going on with their PC. It is clogged with junk and I can’t teach them to stop clicking and accepting things online.
Obviously every situation is different, but I resisted the temptation to convert my dad from Windows to MacOS. Some of the Windows transitions were tricky enough when software he had gotten used to suddenly didn’t work anymore under Win 10 and I had to find an alternative.

What cut my IT support calls down somewhat was introducing an iPad (and later iPhone). It also gave him an a second and third option to access information and email when disaster strikes and the PC/Windows has a problem that requires tech support.

And frankly, MacOS isn’t without 100% trouble-free either. I had a security update a couple of years ago that caused an endless reboot loop of my MBP.

On the bright side, I have been surprised how much my dad has learned over the years (he basically started using PCs in his 60s). It’s become something of a hobby for him in retirement.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Your mileage will vary.

A big part of it is if you are available to set it up at the beginning. I set my dad up when he was in his mid 70s with his Mac, because I was tired of going over to his place every month to clean out his Windows computer. Now he is asking for help (10 years later) as he wants to get a new iMac as his current one is too slow.

Realistically, most users just need to know how to get to the internet, word processing, and use the printer. Maybe view/manage photos as well. Set up the internet with a router to act as a poor man's firewall.

If you can set that all up and show him how to keep the OS up to date, most of the rest is just gravy.