Poor Call Quality on Google Voice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Poor Call Quality on Google Voice

Post by LifeIsGood »

I've been getting complaints recently from callers not being able to understand my conversations. I can hear them fine. It doesn't happen consistently and is unpredictable.
Details: 30MPS Comcast Cable Service
Obi200 1 port VOIP Adapter
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Calls are being made on a Panasonic cordless phone with base station plugged into Obi adapter.
There's just my wife and I and rarely if ever is there any background Internet activity such a streaming going on during these calls. The call quality test shown below was run with Pandora streaming simultaneous just to "stress" the test a bit.
If anyone can give me some things to check or tweak I'd be forever grateful.

tev9876

Re: Poor Call Quality on Google Voice

Post by tev9876 »

I would start with looking at the cordless phone - many opportunities for interference there. The call might be messed up before it even hits the internet. If you have a regular corded phone try plugging that in instead and see if the issue goes away.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Too many links.
Why an OBI?
If I use GV, from cell or home computer, I tell it which of my phones I want it to ring, landline or cell. Basically GV acts as the agent to connect us. Clear as normal all the time.
Pale Blue Dot
beyou

Post by beyou »

4nursebee wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:18 pm Too many links.
Why an OBI?
If I use GV, from cell or home computer, I tell it which of my phones I want it to ring, landline or cell. Basically GV acts as the agent to connect us. Clear as normal all the time.
OBI makes your landline a free landline.
I have my GV # ring on my iphone AND on my OBI viop “landline”.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

I use Google Voice with a similar internet speeds and have no troubles. That should be plenty (by a factor of 5) for a voice call. That said, the fact that your problem is on outbound and not inbound sound suggests your upload speeds could be an issue. I'd use speedtest to see if there are issues there.

I would also second the suggestion that it could be your phone. Either the wireless connection or its microphone itself. I am assuming, however, that if you use your iphone on wifi that you have the same issue. If so, then the phone is probably not the cause and I'd be even more inclined towards data loss or speed issues on your uploads.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

To eliminate Obi/Panasonic issue, try VOIP GV from either PC (voice.google.com) or smartphone GV app (use "prefer wifi" settings) or Google Home speaker. If outbound sound is still noisy, then it's GV issue. If clear, then it's your Obi/Panasonic issue.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. DoThe Math, I just checked my upload speed and it's 2.36 MBS. Is that enough bandwidth for decent VOIP calls? We have 5 handsets for the Panasonic system so I'm numbering each to see if one of them is the culprit.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

LifeIsGood wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:56 am Thanks everyone for your feedback. DoThe Math, I just checked my upload speed and it's 2.36 MBS. Is that enough bandwidth for decent VOIP calls? We have 5 handsets for the Panasonic system so I'm numbering each to see if one of them is the culprit.
Looks like .5 Mbps is minimum (note, I think you meant a small b there). There's other things like latency. Check the logs on your modem. Anyways, I had good speed tests, but issues for around 6 months in mid 2020, errors on the modem. I called support, they said it was my equipment, even after saying all the neighbors have the same issue. Anyways, eventually, they ditch witched 3/4 mile of cable line before our street and replaced, after that, our problems went away. Lot's of variables, could be anything.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

LifeIsGood wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:56 am Thanks everyone for your feedback. DoThe Math, I just checked my upload speed and it's 2.36 MBS. Is that enough bandwidth for decent VOIP calls? We have 5 handsets for the Panasonic system so I'm numbering each to see if one of them is the culprit.
In terms of raw speed, that should be okay. I second the suggestion to check the logs on your modem. There could be other connection issues which is causing your data to stutter.

That said, your upload speed is quite low. What upload/download rates are you paying for? You may need to upgrade your modem to get the speeds you should expect. If you google, you should be able to find information from your ISP on suggested modems and minimum requirements.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua »

I use GV through a Panasonic KX-TGF370 cordless phone via an OBI200. My cable company recently bumped my upload speed up to 10 megabit from 3 megabit. I never had a call quality problem at 3 megabit and never noticed a difference (of any kind) when the cable company bumped us up to 10 megabit. You might try a hard wired phone plugged directly into the Obi200 and see if that makes a difference.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thanks again for the suggestions. You guys are great. Here's a post of my modem logs.

Looks like there's been no entries since 1/14/21. I was talking to my daughter last night and she mentioned that my conversation was breaking up. I marked the phone I was using and set it aside. My wife is a frequent phone user and is not buying into being tethered to a "plug in" phone so I guess that will have to filter to the bottom of the rule outs.
The modem error log is all Greek to me but I'm assuming there's nothing significant going on since there were only entries on 2 dates this year and nothing last night when I was having call quality problems. I may just buy a new cordless phone system and see what happens.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I have similar setup in my home. Here is the deal, your Internet provider does not offer any guaranteed quality of service on their service. So your VoIP packets are competing with everyone else on the Internet to get to their destination. With residential service we are all in this boat together.

Next with cable service you are sharing bandwidth with your entire neighborhood and even multiple neighborhoods on the same cable node, so even though you are not using your connection if there is lots of other users hammering their connection in your area your connection may suffer. With COVID many people are home with zoom calls and what not.

The next time you are experience the issue run that same voip test and see what the numbers look like during the call.

Your MOS score of 4.2 is really good, no packet loss or high jitter is also a good sign. However that test is not to google voice service so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

One other suggestion reboot your OBI device and see if that makes a difference.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Update- I was speaking to a friend today and he could barely piece my conversation together it was breaking up so badly. I could hear him fine.
I ran the test during the call:

Unlike last time the jitter is markedly increased but I have no idea what's causing it or what to do to remedy it.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

Is your cable modem pretty recent? Is it DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1? Check the number of channels it bonds as well.

Also how is the signal strength for up?
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home ... -p/3362218
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Have you tried other voip apps to confirm it's your connection and not the app? Try Skype, Google duo, FaceTime, etc. And if those have problems too, fine, it's your connection. If they are fine then it might just be GV
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Here's the connection info from my modem. It's a Netgear CM 400 Docis 3.0. Cable Internet speeds up to 340 Mbps — 8 downstream & 4 upstream channels.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

High jitter is caused by network congestion and in your case its the upload path. As I said before you are competing with all your neighbors for the same cable pipe going back to your cable provider, and then all their customers going out to the Internet. Speak with your cable provider and see if they will acknowledge the issue. But my guess is they will just shrug you off...

Of course try the simple things like rebooting your cable modem and router. I would also reboot the OBI.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

I had a similar problem with my VoIP. I updated settings in the router; specified high priority for the VoIP device.

In my router, I can see a table that shows bandwidth utilization by device.

The link to that table is only shown at the bottom of the screen under the Advanced tab; Setup; QoS Setup, and scroll down until the link appears at the bottom of the page. Then select the device and edit the priority setting.

I also reserve an IP address for the VoIP device (as well as most other devices).
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

A couple of ideas to try.

1. Upgrade the modem for increased channel bonding. "The only scenario where 32x8 would be needed above 24x8 is if you have congestion on your node."
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking ... mbps_down/

2. Upgrade to from the OBi200 ->OBi202 and put it between your cable modem and the wifi router. It might give voice priority over the rest of the traffic in your house.

3. Check all of the RG6/RG59 connectors in your house. Limit them if possible, this might help with signal loss.
sneezeslayer

Post by sneezeslayer »

I think it may just be Google Voice. I have GV on my cell phone and had to stop using it for constant complaint of poor call quality of my voice. The normal phone app works fine. This happens whether or not I'm on wifi or mobile data.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

FWIW, we use Google Voice, an Obihai box, and a variety of cordless phones. We also have high-speed fiber Internet. We have had no problems with call quality.

(We also added cheap service from CallCentric to our Obihai. This gives us real caller ID for incoming calls, which Google Voice doesn’t provide with Obihai, and also 911 calling with our location, which Google Voice doesn’t do at all.)

Cyclist
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Can you please elaborate on #3? How do you limit RG6/RG59 connectors?

I scoured all the logs in my router but don't see anything resembling bandwidth utilization by device
I also don't see a setting for QoS setup.

Two days ago I lost all internet service so I went the old standby route of powering down the modem, router and Obi and then rebooted everything. Maybe just a coincidence but everything seems to be fine now. Fingers crossed.

vasaver wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am A couple of ideas to try.

1. Upgrade the modem for increased channel bonding. "The only scenario where 32x8 would be needed above 24x8 is if you have congestion on your node."

2. Upgrade to from the OBi200 ->OBi202 and put it between your cable modem and the wifi router. It might give voice priority over the rest of the traffic in your house.

3. Check all of the RG6/RG59 connectors in your house. Limit them if possible, this might help with signal loss.
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

LifeIsGood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 am ...

I scoured all the logs in my router but don't see anything resembling bandwidth utilization by device
Perhaps this will help on QoS setup for TP-Link AC1750
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1104/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/ ... ub-title-1

Several other results can be found
search: tp link qos by device
or, tp link qos obi200
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thanks sawdust. I'll make those changes and see what happens.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

LifeIsGood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 am Can you please elaborate on #3? How do you limit RG6/RG59 connectors?

Two days ago I lost all internet service so I went the old standby route of powering down the modem, router and Obi and then rebooted everything. Maybe just a coincidence but everything seems to be fine now. Fingers crossed.

vasaver wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am A couple of ideas to try.

#3 - Check all of the connectors along the cable runs you can get to on the outside and inside - like the attic and the basement if it isn't finished. Coax connectors should be tight and if you have splitters that aren't being used that could cause unneeded signal loss. Another option would be to convert splitters to taps to ensure the line from the outside has less loss on the way to your cable modem.

https://otadtv.com/cables/index.html#:~ ... d%20cables.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/using-a-tv-ante ... n-rtl-sdr/
Last edited by vasaver on Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

LifeIsGood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 am Can you please elaborate on #3? How do you limit RG6/RG59 connectors?
Every connector is a potential intermittency if loose.

Based on you RX signals levels being all about the same (+3.5dbmv), I doubt there is a connector or a cable issue, either in your house, or on the cable lines. Poor cable/connector issues tend to be frequency sensitive and would be evidenced by one of more channels with a lot lower signal level along with lots of lost packets. Do check your signal levels again when you you see the issue, but I doubt you will see much change.

Your posted error log is normal. There will always be some number of modem resets and/or lost packets. Seeing a reset every couple of hrs would be a red flag. Packets collide all the time and TCP knows how to handle that.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have used two Dixie cups with a string connecting them. This has worked well.😂🤣

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bogdog

Post by bogdog »

LifeIsGood wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 am ...Two days ago I lost all internet service so I went the old standby route of powering down the modem, router and Obi and then rebooted everything. Maybe just a coincidence but everything seems to be fine now. Fingers crossed.
Any update to this after half-a-year? Upstream signal levels at modem still out-of-spec?

After all the possibilities, simple reboots seem to have fixed the problem in this case. Easiest is best.