Do you cover your AC compressor in winter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snackdog

Do you cover your AC compressor in winter?

Post by snackdog »

Some people place a cover over their AC compressor in winter, which is new news to me. We don't get more than a dusting of snow here but lots of leaves. Def don't run AC from Oct-Apr or so.

Pros
-keeps out leaf debris in autumn
-potentially keeps out rain and snow, if any
-generally protects unit from elements and may prolong service life
-may save time cleaning out leaf debris

Cons
-may attract rodents/pests to shelter inside unit
-if not breathable may hold moisture and reduce service life
-if inadvertently run with cover in place may strain or ruin motor
-cost
-complexity

Options seem to range from full nylon covers to breathable mesh to partial covers or simply plywood.

Thoughts?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
runner3081

Re: Do you cover your AC compressor in winter?

Post by runner3081 »

We are in AZ. AC could be on from May through later October/November.

We do not cover it. Interesting thought though, as I watch it rain on there now.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

No
Pack rats
Mice
Critters
Rust
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I live in AZ as well (Prescott) - have about a foot of snow outside at the moment. I've never covered it. It is only on during 1/2 the year. Been close to 10 years.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

No. I've seen people do it, but I've never done it. I have family members with 20-30+ year old central AC units that have never been covered in the off-season and run fine. I do make sure the unit doesn't have vegetation growing over/into it and blow off any debris occasionally.
Unhandled

Post by Unhandled »

No. Snow not an issue for me. But I get tons of leaves in the fall. I put a 2ft by 2ft piece of plywood on top of it for a couple months. It keeps most leaves out. And it doesn't create an inviting home for pests.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I thought about covering mine also, but I think the upsides are just too small. At the end of the day, they are designed to be outside and I have one unit that's around 22 years old and has never been covered, and it's fine.

I could see covering it causing more corrosion as moisture is going to get in there and get trapped, it's just not going to ever truly be sealed. The rat thing I had not thought about, but at my place, it would be guaranteed they would nest in there.

I'd also forget and fire it up with the cover on at least once, not even a question :oops:
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

I use a mesh cover that I leave on year-round. Keeps leaves out, doesn't block air or moisture flow, so then I never have to think about it again (except one of the grommets ripped out; the cover is attached via bungee cords so I need to find a new solution after 6 years).
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I put a small sheet of plywood over the top of it. That keeps out leaves and pine needles, but allows air flow and doesn't provide a hiding spot for critters.
rob

Post by rob »

I used to because it would fill with snow & then ice - it was an open top with fan grill.... When it was replaced a few years ago I had them move it over 6 foot so it's partially covered from above but also the top of new unit is flat with no openings... so have not bothered.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
megabad

Post by megabad »

Define “cover” and define “ac compressor”. My family has a cabin where we have a “cover” that consists of an actually structure that stands a few feet over the condenser with a sloped roof. This allows the heat pump to get started in winter even with a few feet of snow on the ground. Otherwise, electric bill pretty much doubles if we just use the aux heat or I have to chop wood everyday.

I would never cover the outdoor unit otherwise. Only reason I can think of would be bowling ball sized hail or some crazy storm (ie hurricane/tornado), but if you have something like that, that unit is probably the least of your worries. Covering otherwise seems foolish and likely harmful.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

snackdog wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am Some people place a cover over their AC compressor in winter, which is new news to me. We don't get more than a dusting of snow here but lots of leaves. Def don't run AC from Oct-Apr or so.
Remember that for those of us with heat pumps, the compressor runs year round. So not only is it uncovered, but when it rains or snows, the precipitation sticks to the coils and freezes up. The compressor has a defrost cycle to burn off that ice and unblock the coils again.

Also, like car covers, I think the fear is that the cover helps trap moisture between the cover and compressor, or could even freeze to it.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

No. In Houston, it is rare to go through an entire month without running it at all.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Yes. Protects it from weathering 6 months out of the year. Probably doesn't matter, but I like things to look good. Never seen any critters.

Along similar lines, I sometimes see some outdoor units on a slant of approx. 10-15 degree angle because the slab has settled or sunk. I can't believe people can be so oblivious.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

In the southeast US. Never considered it. Never had any indication that one went bad due to the elements.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

snackdog wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am Some people place a cover over their AC compressor in winter, which is new news to me. We don't get more than a dusting of snow here but lots of leaves.

Options seem to range from full nylon covers to breathable mesh to partial covers or simply plywood.

Thoughts?
For the off-season, I put a piece of plywood on the top, held down by a brick.
It keeps the leaves and debris out, yet doesn't hold moisture or invite rodents in.

It was recommended by the AC repairman last time he was here.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

Yes for us, for a few months. West side of Oregon, under a heavy canopy of leaf-shedding and needle-shedding trees. Cover it up from about October through December/January, just to keep all the crap from falling down inside. I roll up the bottom edge of the cover a bit so there's airflow, and to make it less varmint-friendly.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

snackdog wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am Some people place a cover over their AC compressor in winter, which is new news to me. We don't get more than a dusting of snow here but lots of leaves. Def don't run AC from Oct-Apr or so.

Pros
-keeps out leaf debris in autumn
-potentially keeps out rain and snow, if any
-generally protects unit from elements and may prolong service life
-may save time cleaning out leaf debris

Cons
-may attract rodents/pests to shelter inside unit
-if not breathable may hold moisture and reduce service life
-cost
-complexity

Thoughts?
LOL, I am currently running my AC.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
chw

Post by chw »

Yes. In MA here. AC installer recommended a heavy duty cover with built in vents for air flow. Have used it a few seasons now, and works nicely with no issues.
kelway

Post by kelway »

snackdog wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am
Cons

Thoughts?
That's a BIG, unacceptable con. I don't trust my wife and kids nearly enough ;-)
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

I'm running the AC as we speak . . . so no, Winter is just a foreign concept here in New Orleans.
Last edited by Prokofiev on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
wander

Post by wander »

No, I never covered it. We have snow, rain, and leaves. I've checked once in awhile but see no issue. I installed this AC system for 15+ years.
sergio

Post by sergio »

Our AC unit is under an overhang that often has massive icicles. To protect it I cover the fan grill with a 2x2 piece of plywood an a brick on top. They are designed to withstand heavy snow.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

No, I never cover mine but at least once a year I hose it out thoroughly. I spray out the coils too. It is surprising how much stuff gets sucked into the bottom of the unit.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Michael Patrick wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:53 am I put a small sheet of plywood over the top of it. That keeps out leaves and pine needles, but allows air flow and doesn't provide a hiding spot for critters.
This is a good idea.
We've got snow covering our units right now.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

No. Service people have found mce wintering in the whole house AC. Also a possibility of getting mold in the unit. My parents had the unit serviced every spring.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:44 am
snackdog wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am Some people place a cover over their AC compressor in winter, which is new news to me. We don't get more than a dusting of snow here but lots of leaves.

Thoughts?
It keeps the leaves and debris out, yet doesn't hold moisture or invite rodents in.

This is what is recommended by my home inspectors when they are reviewing with new home owners.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

Mine is now 28 years old, and I never covered it. It's survived several blizzards. I just keep the area around it clear of leaves and debris.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

jfn111 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:30 am
JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:44 am

Thoughts?

This is what is recommended by my home inspectors when they are reviewing with new home owners.
In our last house, I always covered the AC with a tarp. Invariably, I had to clean out the rodents/nests in the spring, and throw away the gnawed tarp.
Now, I remove the piece of plywood and wash he condenser fins with a hose and we're ready to go.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Not sure why people worry about the inside of their AC compressor - there isn't really anything in there. Other than the fan mounted to the top, it is just a cavity to funnel air drawn in from the sides, through the cooling fins, and out through the top. When the fan starter capacitor died on mine a couple years ago (about 15 years old at the time) I decided to remove the fan and clean the inside while I had the power off. There were a couple inches of dirt in there - only because I had a dog that liked to dig and would alternate between trying to dig under the unit and trying to bury it. I scooped/shop vacuumed it out, gave it a good hosing off, reassembled - and noticed no change in performance (not counting the fan working again). As long as air can flow through the sides and out the top there isn't much to worry about.
edge

Post by edge »

I cover the top with a piece of plywood primarily to stop leaves and other debris from entering the unit, let the rest breathe.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Michael Patrick wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:53 am I put a small sheet of plywood over the top of it. That keeps out leaves and pine needles, but allows air flow and doesn't provide a hiding spot for critters.
+1 Do the same .
Affie

Post by Affie »

Lived in MA until recently. Never covered it there even in winters with multiple feet of snowfall. I would shovel it out and remove snow from it. Never had a problem. Currently live in SC and there is no need to do so here.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I do because we have a lot of debris
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Just the top, in order to keep snow and ice off fan blades. As my installer pointed out, a full size garbage can lid (plastic, in my case) fits over the top grille perfectly. So that's what I use - tied down with two elastic straps. Rest of unit stays uncovered. I live in a heavy snow/ice area. Usually put in on in late November, off in late April or when needed.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

ubermax wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:34 am
+1 Do the same .
+2 compressor in corner. Snow slides off steel roof onto compressor. Best to let the unit "breath". 25 years same unit probably getting time to replace if only for better efficiency. I also open it up (after disconnecting electric) and clean it every spring.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

I just searched online and had a cover made by "cover lady" or something like that. Just need make and model, they have all the sizes. They allow space near the bottom so it breathes. Nice fit and looks nice. Wife wouldn't go for the garbage can lid and bungee cord.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

No. I live in Chicago. I see some of my neighbors do. I think it is totally unnecessary. It is meant to withstand the elements.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Current house never covered unit, which is now 21 years old. New place with a lot of leaves I used this.

https://smile.amazon.com/Classic-Access ... 713&sr=8-1

HVAC guy saw it and said he ought to start selling them.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

My inspector required me to cover the air conditioner outside unit (everything, not just the compressor which is at the very bottom) because he was concerned that the adjacent condensing gas furnace discharge pipe exhaust would corrode the unit. I’m not sure if this was a valid concern, since most discharge gases would rise. It was a lot cheaper to cover than move the unit though.

I always leave enough gap near the bottom to ensure air flow, so moisture cannot build up.

I also pull the adjacent power disconnect when installing the cover. This is important. There is no way the unit could start while the cover is on.

For my heat pump home, I use a similar cover during leaf and needle season, as I don’t need to heat or cool then. I also put the cover on (touching the ground) while blowing leaves near the unit, any time of year, so I’m not sandblasting the coils with debris.
mancich

Post by mancich »

+1. We do something similar and have never had an issue.
Topic Author
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Nice selection of responses and logic. About 50% like a cover of some kind although it’s not clear it is warranted.

17 do not use a cover or see it as needed since units are made for outdoor use. Most clean out debris as needed.
9 cover top at least with plywood or equivalent to reduce leaves and debris. Snow/ice not a concern.
8 use a mostly full cover
3 need AC year round
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

snackdog wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:37 pm Nice selection of responses and logic. About 50% like a cover of some kind although it’s not clear it is warranted.

17 do not use a cover or see it as needed since units are made for outdoor use. Most clean out debris as needed.
9 cover top at least with plywood or equivalent to reduce leaves and debris. Snow/ice not a concern.
8 use a mostly full cover
3 need AC year round
I leave mine uncovered. We get snow. Before we use the AC for the first time for the year I check to make sure their is no debris. Never had an issue. When we rented, the management company never covered the AC compressor.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I built a slanted plywood assembly that allows plenty of airflow during the winter. (Has to be removed for the NJ summer season.) The weight rests on four cast assemblies rather than on the grille. I thought that the brass wood screws projecting from the bottom would assure (deliberately loose, drop -on install) retention in high winds (it weighs at least 20 pounds), but it blew off in a hurricane. No damage. Apply wood preservative every few years.

I happen to have beech trees and red oaks that drop a LOT of debris. This would accumulate at the bottom of the interior, which is not easily accessible. There is a problem with chipmunks tunneling under the plastic "pad" already.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Yes.

Keeps the snow out.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 am I also pull the adjacent power disconnect when installing the cover. This is important. There is no way the unit could start while the cover is on.
why not just throw the breaker to the off position in your breaker box. You can do that from inside.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

my concern w/ a cover is condensation forming, which ultimately causes rust. If you've ever covered a vehicle in a garage (non-heated, not a climate controlled one and not in AZ), you'd never do it twice. Even w/ a gap at the bottom from a custom cover condensation could still form near the top of the unit when/if hot/cold temp cycles occur in winter and spring.
Plywood or similar on top is a good and simple compromise.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Never. There is no need.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

F150HD wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:50 am
criticalmass wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 am I also pull the adjacent power disconnect when installing the cover. This is important. There is no way the unit could start while the cover is on.
why not just throw the breaker to the off position in your breaker box. You can do that from inside.
For the same reason that there is a power disconnect outside right at the unit!

I cannot install nor remove the cover from inside, so there is no additional trip necessary outside. There is no advantage to shutting it off inside.

I don't want someone (including me) to turn breaker on to "fix" the unit if it is not working, or to "think" I already removed cover outside downstairs if I haven't. This ensures that the unit is in sight and ready before applying power. It's also a lot easier to do as part of putting the cover on, rather than going back upstairs later/earlier and turning off breakers.

Note: Do not leave power shut off to a heat pump with a traditional compressor for extended time in cold weather, unless you plan to give it enough time to warm the compressor crankcase oil before starting unit.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

F150HD wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:52 am my concern w/ a cover is condensation forming, which ultimately causes rust. If you've ever covered a vehicle in a garage (non-heated, not a climate controlled one and not in AZ), you'd never do it twice. Even w/ a gap at the bottom from a custom cover condensation could still form near the top of the unit when/if hot/cold temp cycles occur in winter and spring.
Plywood or similar on top is a good and simple compromise.
I can't speak for climate everywhere but it's not an issue in NJ. I've been covering mine for over 30 years without issue but I do have the gap at the bottom of the cover to prevent this. Lots of covers all around the state. Place I got it from makes all the covers with this gap.