Mazda CX 5 For Tall Guy (6 2)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
David Althaus

Mazda CX 5 For Tall Guy (6 2)

Post by David Althaus »

Any tall people out there have any quibbles over driver side roominess in the Mazda CX 5? I don't want to go the dealer and get a never ending string of phone calls--just yet.

All the best
eye.surgeon

Re: Mazda CX 5 For Tall Guy (6 2)

Post by eye.surgeon »

I'm 6 1 and I was comfortable on a test drive. Bottom seat cushion is a little short for taller people but that's true of many cars. Great vehicle.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

David Althaus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:57 am Any tall people out there have any quibbles over driver side roominess in the Mazda CX 5? I don't want to go the dealer and get a never ending string of phone calls--just yet.

All the best
We own two - no problems noted - 6' 3".
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

David Althaus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:57 am Any tall people out there have any quibbles over driver side roominess in the Mazda CX 5? I don't want to go the dealer and get a never ending string of phone calls--just yet.
We have a '16 and a '19. I'm 6'1" and DS is 6'2" and it's a complete non-issue -- but we're all legs and not very "wide."

I don't know if you'd want to sit behind us...
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'm 6'4" and 300, have no issue fitting in the CX-5 when I rented one for a week. The seats are a touch on the smaller side, but not in a way that made me uncomfortable. Longest single drive I've taken is around 2.5 hours.
Topic Author
David Althaus

Post by David Althaus »

Thanks for replies. Makes decision process much easier.

All the best
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

David Althaus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:03 pm Thanks for replies. Makes decision process much easier.
Oh, and get the turbo. Our '16 is a little underpowered without it, imo. The '19 has the turbo. It definitely gives up a little in fuel economy but it makes for a better driving experience. Fairly fun cars for what they are. There is supposedly a 6-cylinder on the way or at least on the drawing board -- others here will know more.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:46 pm I'm 6'4" and 300, have no issue fitting in the CX-5 when I rented one for a week. The seats are a touch on the smaller side, but not in a way that made me uncomfortable. Longest single drive I've taken is around 2.5 hours.
I'm surprised: when I looked up legroom it was only 41 inches, which is less than many other vehicles.
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:29 pm I'm surprised: when I looked up legroom it was only 41 inches, which is less than many other vehicles.
I don't actually know what measured legroom is. Seat all the way up and back? All the way down and back? Distance to the top of the pedal travel? Or to the firewall or dead-pedal?

Legroom has always been an issue for me and I've just sat in 'em.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:29 pm
lazydavid wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:46 pm I'm 6'4" and 300, have no issue fitting in the CX-5 when I rented one for a week. The seats are a touch on the smaller side, but not in a way that made me uncomfortable. Longest single drive I've taken is around 2.5 hours.
I'm surprised: when I looked up legroom it was only 41 inches, which is less than many other vehicles.
I am not sure what you are referring to as 'many other vehicles' but if you really want to be sure rent one for a couple of days which will answer the question for your situation completely.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm 6'1" and no problem. Mine is a 2015, but I don't think headroom dimensions changed.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 am
I am not sure what you are referring to as 'many other vehicles' but if you really want to be sure rent one for a couple of days which will answer the question for your situation completely.
Many as in by looking as specifications; it's very easy to find many vehicles with more than 41.0 inches of legroom. Maybe the problem is that the standard is complicated and some manufactures may still use their own arbitrary measuring standards; I'm not sure. But in terms of manufacturer-reported legroom, 41.0 is not very impressive.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:28 pm
smitcat wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 am
Many as in by looking as specifications; it's very easy to find many vehicles with more than 41.0 inches of legroom. Maybe the problem is that the standard is complicated and some manufactures may still use their own arbitrary measuring standards; I'm not sure. But in terms of manufacturer-reported legroom, 41.0 is not very impressive.
Maybe - I cannot help with numbers that are posted on specs. At 6'3" the CX5 feels better compared to our 2006 and 2014 CRV's - but less room then our full sized pickups. I still believe the best way to know how any car fits you is with a 2 or more day test drive or rental. I always find it hard to grasp that folks buy a car without seeing how it really fits them but we have owned a high number of vehicles and most never own many at all.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Honestly, asking strangers on the internet this question is not a good alternative to testing it out yourself. Even if someone is the same height as you, their body shape, lengths of torso/arm/leg/etc. will be different, preferences will be different. You need to sit in the car to decide for yourself. Pay attention as to which trim level you test, as different trim levels may have different kinds of seat adjustability (e.g., power/manual, height only or also tilt, lumbar or no).
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

All the best
I have a 2019 CX 5. I'm about 6'.

My primary complaint with the seat is that the bottom is not quite long enough to fully support my thighs. I found that setting the seat bottom at it's steepest adjustment made it comfortable. The secondary complaint is that they're just a bit narrow. But all of this is dependent on your exact body. If your femurs are shorter than mine, or if all your height is in your torso, you may never have an issue. The base model's seat adjustments are much more limited than the higher trims.

I have taken the vehicle on multiple 3-4 hour road trips. It's comfortable, though seat did take about 1,000 miles to break in. Some dealers let you take the car overnight. You might try that.

I've been pleased with the car and would buy another. I have the naturally aspirated engine and have never found it lagging, even when passing in the Vermont mountains.

At least through 2020, the weakest part of the car is the infotainment system. I think they went back to 1983 to source the CPU. It's SLOW. The built-in nav is terrible. 2019+ (not the base models) do have built-in Android Auto / CarPlay. (It can be added to most 2017 and all 2018+), which mostly compensates for it. Without AA/CP, the USB port is only 1.1 A, which may not be enough to keep your phone charged. The AA option puts one 2A port in the console.

Gas mileage is good. In the Before Times, I would get 24-25 mpg with mostly city driving. On the highway with cruise control set, it gets 30-38 depending on what speed you've set it at and whether you're hitting inclines.

The other complaints are minor. No light in the glove box or center console. The OEM roof rack front crossbar goes across the sunroof and can't easily be removed when you're not using it. Tire pressure monitoring system doesn't tell you /which/ tire is low.

I don't know if they've addressed this in MY 2021+.

The 2017+ models were a nice upgrade from 2016. They upped the features and insulation. 2016 is by no means a loud car, but it's markedly louder than 2017.

With older models (not sure of the cut off year), Mazda had a partnership with Ford. Avoid those.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

02nz wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:48 am Honestly, asking strangers on the internet this question is not a good alternative to testing it out yourself.
No, but it's safer. Earlier in the year I was considering buying a car, but dealing with so many people with varying degrees of Covid consciousness was not a pleasant experience.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 am
02nz wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:48 am Honestly, asking strangers on the internet this question is not a good alternative to testing it out yourself.
No, but it's safer. Earlier in the year I was considering buying a car, but dealing with so many people with varying degrees of Covid consciousness was not a pleasant experience.
FWIW - we have had no problems getting rentals at good rates which provides a way to test a potential car purchase.
TSR

Post by TSR »

eye.surgeon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:00 am I'm 6 1 and I was comfortable on a test drive. Bottom seat cushion is a little short for taller people but that's true of many cars. Great vehicle.
Lot of people referencing the "too short bottom seat cushion" issue in this thread. Maybe it's a question for its own thread, but are there other cars out there that do a great job of having long enough seat cushion for us tall people? Like, what are we comparing this to in the small SUV category? (I'm soon to be in the market, so this is not a purely academic question.)
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

TSR wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 am
eye.surgeon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:00 am I'm 6 1 and I was comfortable on a test drive. Bottom seat cushion is a little short for taller people but that's true of many cars. Great vehicle.
Lot of people referencing the "too short bottom seat cushion" issue in this thread. Maybe it's a question for its own thread, but are there other cars out there that do a great job of having long enough seat cushion for us tall people? Like, what are we comparing this to in the small SUV category? (I'm soon to be in the market, so this is not a purely academic question.)
Many luxury vehicles and some higher trim levels of mainstream vehicles have extendable thigh cushions that lengthen the bottom cushion for taller drivers. For tall drivers it's great.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 am
FWIW - we have had no problems getting rentals at good rates which provides a way to test a potential car purchase.
I assume you mean renting from a new car dealer. When you rent from a rental car company, you have no way to specify the car you'll get. Well, you can specify a preference, the odds being zero that you'll end up with that model, based on the many hundreds of vehicles I've rented.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

TSR wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 am
This is definitely a problem. You can stuff something under you to make up for insufficient seat height (in my one car I have 5 inches of foam that compresses to about 3 inches) but I'm not aware of anything that effectively extends a seat cushion.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:27 pm
smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 am
I assume you mean renting from a new car dealer. When you rent from a rental car company, you have no way to specify the car you'll get. Well, you can specify a preference, the odds being zero that you'll end up with that model, based on the many hundreds of vehicles I've rented.
In our case we rented from a rental car company but a dealer might work better in some instances.
We just rented a specific model last week - and we also rented a specific model in late November as examples.