Buying a new car - what should I physically inspect on the car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
notmyhand

Buying a new car - what should I physically inspect on the car?

Post by notmyhand »

We're going to pick up a new Chrysler pacifica minivan tomorrow. The dealership had to bring it in from a different dealer. I know it was built in September and was at the one dealership since then so I am expecting it to have quite a few test drives on it. What should I be inspecting before I pay for it and take possession?
Voltaire2.0

Re: Buying a new car - what should I physically inspect on the car?

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Check the odometer first. If it's over 100 miles the car is veering into "demo" or "used" status, and you can negotiate an appropriate discount.

Take it on a long test drive over all types of roads. Listen for noises that shouldn't be there. Accelerate it hard once or twice and make sure it shifts smoothly and properly.

In a parking lot turn in circles, fully locked to the left and then to the right. You shouldn't hear any rubbing or grinding sounds.

Drive it on a flat, straight road and see it it tracks straight with your hands off the steering wheel.... for a few seconds.

Give it one hard brake test from 40 MPH. It shouldn't pull left or right.

Walk around the car, slowly, and look at it from the bottom up checking for nicks and scratches.

See if the seats, carpets, headliner and dashboard show any excess wear.

Run the A/C on cold. IT should blow cold air immediately and defog the car.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Look for very faint door dings and dents such as from a door from a neighboring parked car. These can be easily removed by PDR (paintless dent repair) though you will probably have to bring the vehicle back at the appointed time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Watty

Post by Watty »

A few things;

1) Make sure it includes the things like;
Manuals
All the jack parts and spare tire if it has them.
The key for any locking bolts on the wheels.
Test all the keys to make sure they work. To test a key with RF ID any other keys may need to be 20+ feet away.

2) Whenever I pick up a new car I double check the VIN number on the car to the VIN number on the paperwork, this should only take a few seconds. It is rare but I have heard of a few cases where a dealership gave someone the wrong car when they had two identical ones.

3) There may be a metal tag with numbers on the keychain or numbers in the paperwork that are security features that will be needed to do things like make new keys and activate the radio after the battery is disconnected. These will vary by make and model but make sure you keep these in a safe place. I email these to myself so I will have them if I am 500 miles from home.
hudson

Post by hudson »

notmyhand,

Consider doing the following before driving:
Call early and verify that the color and equipment is as promised.
Ask how many miles it has.
Ask if the car is there.
Confirm the deal...the out the door price. Confirm the payment information so that there are no hitches once you get there. Maybe even talk with the finance guy (also the extended warranty salesperson.)
Request that they inspect the car just like it was their own to be sure it's in perfect condition for delivery....and then call you when it's ready. (Ideas stolen from James Bragg of Fighting Chance.)
I always ask if they'll make me a deal on a spare set of keys or two. I once got 3 sets at no charge.

On my next purchase, before going to pick up the vehicle, I'm going to get a promise that I won't hear a single word about extended warranties or any sales pitches of any kind. I will ask for an expedited pickup....no sitting and waiting.
Last edited by hudson on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
matti

Post by matti »

I once bought a new car with a driver's side door that didn't shut completely due to a faulty gasket installation; this allowed water in. I don't know how I missed this at the dealership, but I did. I suspect that's very rare, but it only takes a second to check.

Also, I believe dealerships typically install the frame plugs (not sure what they are really called) during the PDI. If not, you'll want to install them on the frame rails (dealership often put the plugs in the glovebox).
Last edited by matti on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One more thing, be sure to check to see how much gas is in the tank and that you at least have enough gas to get to a gas station.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I will also say, Relax. if you find something wrong later, the dealer will fix it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:31 pm I will also say, Relax. if you find something wrong later, the dealer will fix it.
I agree, the benefit of buying a new car is that it comes with a factory warranty. Even a 1,000 miles is not much in the scheme of things. I would just make sure there are no dents and make sure the deal is done as agreed. Enjoy.
RCL

Post by RCL »

Check for fitment issues --- doors, hood, etc.
Also, some dealers put cheapo tires on cars so make sure the ones they used are acceptable to you.

Post by 123 »

Do you inspection of the vehicle outside under bright sun if possible with plenty of open space around the vehicle on all sides. If you do it inside or at night under lights imperfections that may indicate damage or repairs may not be observable.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Hookem_1

Post by Hookem_1 »

I always make sure the engine is under the hood.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 pm Check the odometer first. If it's over 100 miles the car is veering into "demo" or "used" status, and you can negotiate an appropriate discount.

Take it on a long test drive over all types of roads. Listen for noises that shouldn't be there. Accelerate it hard once or twice and make sure it shifts smoothly and properly.
Even better - test drive the car until it reaches 100 miles, and then demand a discount for high mileage.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Great suggestions from others so far: :D :D

Additionally:

We were in a similar situation last week when we took delivery of a 2021 Toyota 4Runner.

Things we checked and things we missed:

Feel the painted surfaces on the exterior. It should all be smooth and silky as a new factory paint job should be. Cars are often shipped with a plastic wrap over it and there is an adhesive stippling (feels like overspray and is rough) left on the paint when it is removed. Dealers do not always buff out and polish a new car enough to remove this and it hardens. The surface needs to be "clay polished, etc) to remove it and smooth the surface. Check for this. Easy to fix if you haven't paid the final payment for the car.

Anything that is loose, rattles on the "final test drive".

Anything that is missing: trim pieces, parts on the doors, interior, seats, floors, etc.

All of the tools for the spare tire, and if there is a spare tire.

Check that everthing works, lights, interior lights, etc. Turn on and off every single switch and "doo hickey thingy" (tech term).
(including rolling all the windows up and down.)

Check that the plungers on the back hatch and hood keep the lids up and high up so nobody hits their forehead on it because they are just high enough to hit any car hatch lids that aren't all the way up. Ouch!!

Does the interior and seats of the car smell like Axe Cologne or other stinky nasty residue of cologne or perfume or scented body spray because whoever drove the car last or transported it from a location had that nasty stinky smell on thier clothes or body?
Have the detailing shop clean the interior well to remove this.

Check all of the interior seat upholstery that all the stitching and seams are good and there are no splits or separations.

Enjoy your new car.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dbr

Post by dbr »

Make sure the car has all the options specified and all the additional amenities specified, such as all weather floor mats if you bought them, etc.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

dbr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:12 am Make sure the car has all the options specified and all the additional amenities specified, such as all weather floor mats if you bought them, etc.
+1
Match the car with the “Moroni sheet” and any extras you ordered or dealer installed.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know