Recommendation(s) for Banks or CU's in Scottsdale, AZ

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
summerof42

Recommendation(s) for Banks or CU's in Scottsdale, AZ

Post by summerof42 »

Thank you in advance for your replies. This year I will be retiring and looking to move out of {{{cold}}} WI and to Arizona. Friends are in Scottsdale, but it is a bit $$$ and crazy-busy there, so I may consider Anthem.

As I start looking at Condo's and actually found a few that peeked my interest, I was starting to research Bank and CU"s for a mortgage in Scottsdale. I was disappointed to see Johnson Bank (of the same SC Johnson products company) is no longer there and sold out to AZ Bank & Trust. I was told they only do "refinancing," which bought me here because always gets such excellent input from the great folks on this forum.

Any recommendations. I have an excellent credit rating, no debt except for my current mortgage, but I will be selling this house in order to move and have quite a bit of equity built up.
runner3081

Re: Recommendation(s) for Banks or CU's in Scottsdale, AZ

Post by runner3081 »

We use Chase with their savings account for a local branch (notary, cash deposits, etc). $300 monthly balance minimum, no fees.

There are a number of branches in our area of Scottsdale.

Otherwise, all other banking is through Ally.
spitty

Post by spitty »

US Bank for many years. I know you have them in WI..there are plenty here in Phoenix. Home base is in Minneapolis.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

We use Chase and Wells Fargo for local branches (brick and mortar locations with ATM's etc.),
also Schwab has a very nice physical location branch in Scottsdale.

These physical locations work well as they are connected via ACH transfer links, etc, to our Brokerage accounts such as Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.

We have noticed that, through the years, some of the smaller banks and credit unions in Arizona, IE: Country Bank, etc, get swallowed up or merge into larger banks and it can sometimes be a hassle to change things over to different account settings, etc. So, be careful of that.

Anthem is nice. Good choice.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Credit union with a lot of branches in several states, Mountain America Credit Union, with offices around but not right in Scottsdale
https://www.macu.com/branch-locations?s ... =25&type=1
btenny

Post by btenny »

I bank at US Bank and Wells Fargo to have brick and mortar money management and real people for issues as the come up. Both have lots of offices all over the Phoenix area and all over the western states. Both do mortgages. I also know Guaranteed Rate mortgage company handles all kinds of new mortgages and refinancing. That is their main business. They have offices in Scottsdale, Glendale and Phoenix.

I have no idea if these companies have good rates or how they handle mortgage service.

Good Luck.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I continue to use the same Akron, OH area bank that I was using before I moved to Arizona. I have not been in a branch for three or four years and do everything online. I have used an ATM machine three times in the past five years.

The only issue we have had in that period is what to do with excess cash as we do not like to deposit it in an ATM.

As for the major national banks, they are all fairly expensive. As I am a treasurer for several nonprofits, I would say that Chase is the best of the worst. They offer better customer service than the others.
IMO

Post by IMO »

If I was moving to Anthem and I wanted to do banking in person (if someone needs that), I'd probably choose a local bank in Anthem so I didn't have to drive far. For things like mortgages, seems looking at the refinance thread would provide good info on where to look for best rates/fees.

From my failing memory the local ones would be:

a) US Bank location in Safeway
b) Copper State Credit Union near Ace
c) Well's Fargo near Safeway
d) Chase Bank near Walmart
e) Chase Bank near Fry's Market
f) Bank of America near Fry's Market

There was another near Sonic, but I think that closed.

For some reason, banks (especially large banks) seem to bring out negative emotions from people. But fwiw, have used Well's Fargo, and both Chase banks there which provided very nice customer service in completely non-crowded situation in that town. Not even sure how/why Chase felt the need to put in 2 full service branches in the same development.