TaxAide: Acer 315 Chromebook USB-C -> HDMI adapter? [Solved]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chip

TaxAide: Acer 315 Chromebook USB-C -> HDMI adapter? [Solved]

Post by Chip »

I'm a TaxAide volunteer and expect that we will probably be working from home this tax season. I want to connect the TaxAide-supplied Acer 315 Chromebook to an external monitor that has an HDMI input. I know that I need an adapter to connect to the USB-C DisplayPort output of the Chromebook, but am having trouble identifying a compatible adapter. I've searched Amazon, read the Acer manual, searched the volunteer portal, etc. without success.

I know that a lot of you are TaxAide volunteers, and some are on the tech side of things, so would appreciate any insight.

At this point I'm thinking of this particular adapter, though I can't find any mention of it working with the Acer 315:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-P ... 3?dchild=1

Does anyone have experience with that particular adapter, or can you recommend a different one?

Also, we have some volunteers in our district who still have old monitors with 15 pin VGA inputs. Is there an adapter that would work for them?

Edit: Title
Last edited by Chip on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strafe

Re: TaxAide: Acer 315 Chromebook USB-C -> HDMI adapter?

Post by strafe »

These are universally compatible. It’s $12. Suggest you just buy it.

I have not used that specific adapter but can tell you that a similar one from Anker works just fine with my Chromebook.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Since you've already identified that it's a DP-capable USB-C port you're all set. It will almost certainly work.

There's too many Chromebook makes and models out there to count on finding specific guidance for yours most likely. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, return to Amazon for free.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Topic Author
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks for the replies.
strafe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:18 am These are universally compatible. It’s $12. Suggest you just buy it.
I was about to, and may still, but read some Amazon reviews that indicated some incompatibilities. Of course those reviews may have been written by the technically challenged. :)
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:48 am There's too many Chromebook makes and models out there to count on finding specific guidance for yours most likely. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, return to Amazon for free.
The reason I was looking for specific guidance is that TaxAide distributed thousands of this same model Chromebook to volunteers last year. There are many TaxAide volunteers on this board. If no one responds with direct experience, I will "just buy it".
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Chip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:10 am Thanks for the replies.
strafe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:18 am These are universally compatible. It’s $12. Suggest you just buy it.
I was about to, and may still, but read some Amazon reviews that indicated some incompatibilities. Of course those reviews may have been written by the technically challenged. :)
dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:48 am There's too many Chromebook makes and models out there to count on finding specific guidance for yours most likely. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, return to Amazon for free.
The reason I was looking for specific guidance is that TaxAide distributed thousands of this same model Chromebook to volunteers last year. There are many TaxAide volunteers on this board. If no one responds with direct experience, I will "just buy it".
Tax-Aide has a list of approved “peripherals”. The list should be available on the portal in the technology section. Your TC should know which ones are recommended.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

This cable is arriving later today to connect my son's Dell Chromebook from school to his monitor. I'll let you know how it goes.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Chip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:13 am I'm a TaxAide volunteer and expect that we will probably be working from home this tax season. I want to connect the TaxAide-supplied Acer 315 Chromebook to an external monitor that has an HDMI input. I know that I need an adapter to connect to the USB-C DisplayPort output of the Chromebook, but am having trouble identifying a compatible adapter. I've searched Amazon, read the Acer manual, searched the volunteer portal, etc. without success.

I know that a lot of you are TaxAide volunteers, and some are on the tech side of things, so would appreciate any insight.

At this point I'm thinking of this particular adapter, though I can't find any mention of it working with the Acer 315:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-P ... 3?dchild=1

Does anyone have experience with that particular adapter, or can you recommend a different one?

Also, we have some volunteers in our district who still have old monitors with 15 pin VGA inputs. Is there an adapter that would work for them?
The one you linked above is on the list for TaxAide (I just checked).

The recommended USB-C to VGA adapter is the following

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Ce ... 837&sr=8-3
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
Chip

Post by Chip »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 am Tax-Aide has a list of approved “peripherals”. The list should be available on the portal in the technology section. Your TC should know which ones are recommended.
Thanks! That was the pointer that I needed. I had looked in the Technology section but hadn't seen the "Peripherals and Adapters" folder.

The TaxAide recommended adapter is the Anker A8306. It's a little hard to find on the Amazon site and the Anker site shows it as out of stock.

I see you posted again as I was writing this. The Anker product I was first looking at was the A8312. I didn't see that on the TaxAide list. ?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Chip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:48 am The TaxAide recommended adapter is the Anker A8306. It's a little hard to find on the Amazon site and the Anker site shows it as out of stock.

I see you posted again as I was writing this. The Anker product I was first looking at was the A8312. I didn't see that on the TaxAide list. ?
I would be extremely surprised if these two were not electrically identical. They probably just revised the casing and cable to look more premium.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Chip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:48 am
jebmke wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 am Tax-Aide has a list of approved “peripherals”. The list should be available on the portal in the technology section. Your TC should know which ones are recommended.
Thanks! That was the pointer that I needed. I had looked in the Technology section but hadn't seen the "Peripherals and Adapters" folder.

The TaxAide recommended adapter is the Anker A8306. It's a little hard to find on the Amazon site and the Anker site shows it as out of stock.

I suspect they are not always quite up to date on the lastest models or it could have been bought up by other volunteers. The one you linked should work fine.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

Amazon is really easy to return if it doesn’t work. Take your chance and get it, and if it doesn’t work you can return it
Topic Author
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks to all who weighed in!

I've ordered the Anker A8306. While I agree Amazon makes returns easy, it's worth a few bucks to get the one recommended by TaxAide.