Old Apple iPhone - Worth Replacing Battery?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Old Apple iPhone - Worth Replacing Battery?

Post by ruanddu »

Hello,

I have a 3 year old Apple iPhone SE. The battery only lasts about 6 hours now before needing a recharge. Would you suggest a new battery through Apple store for $50? I am not sure if that will fix battery drain since I have heard the newer iOS versions drain the battery faster. Appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
crystalbank

Re: Old Apple iPhone - Worth Replacing Battery?

Post by crystalbank »

Yep, for $50 I would replace the battery. Only buy a new phone if Apple stopped support or it's beyond repair. iPhone SE 1st gen will likely be supported until next year.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

yes. i would replace the batter. the risk is low ie. only $50. However, if you want a new phone b/c of better features, etc..then don't replace the battery.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've had apple batteries replaced and while worth the time and money to have it done, don't expect it to give the phone an equal life as the first battery did. My first battery lasted four years before I replaced it. The replacement one was worse than the first after about half that time. But it kicked the can down the road a couple more years and was a lot cheaper than the depreciation hit of buying a new iPhone.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I would suggest a small external battery bank.
You could buy 2 or 3 and put one in the car, office and home.
I bought quite a few and put them in Christmas stockings.

I bought a few on clearance for $1 each at best buy.
I see on ebay there are some 2600 milliamp hour ones
for $1.70 plus shipping and some 5800 milliamp hour ones with
faster charging for double that.

There are bigger ones in the $20-40 range, but I find my small
one at 2000 milliamp hour provides about 2/3 of my battery in my pixel 3a XL.

Post by 123 »

It depends on if you're willing to "kick the can" on replacement down the road for a couple of years. I was in a similar position last year between replacing a battery on an old iphone or buying the new SE (2020) for $399. It depends on what you use for your phone for and how much you use it. I'm happy with my decision to get the SE (2020), barring unforeseen circumstances I don't expect to revisit the phone issue for another 4 years.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Another yes vote. I replaced my iPhone 7 battery not too long ago, it was like a new phone.

I have a 12 now, I could have easily gone a another 1-2 years on my 7. The SE is even newer.
Dicast

Post by Dicast »

I have fixed a few of my iphones and replaced a few batteries over time. Buy the tool kit from ifixit and then just buy the batteries if you want to save money. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+SE+ ... ment/61303 It is worth having a magnifying glass and a good kit of tools if you want to try this. I do enjoy having a magnetic pad to place the screws while I am taking it apart.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Check your battery health first (Settings > Battery > Battery Health). I would replace if it's lower than 85% or so.
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

If you're going to stay on iOS, consider buying a new iPhone SE for the same amount of money (unlock it after 180 days) because Apple will likely kick off the 6s/SE first generation within a year:

https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/shop/deals
$49.99
Lots to love. Less to spend.
Switch and get the new iPhone SE
In-store only. After rebate redemption & 3 months service with AutoPay. Limit one. ID validation required. 64 GB only. Additional restrictions apply. See store for details. Offer not valid in CT/RI/Miami-Dade.

--

https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/terms-c ... olicy.html

Unlock eligibility requirements

We unlock mobile devices that meet the following eligibility criteria free of charge:

The device must be purchased from Metro by T-Mobile.
The device must not be reported as lost, stolen or blocked.
One hundred eighty (180) days must have passed since the device’s activation date.
Last edited by donfairplay on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

crystalbank wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:28 pm Yep, for $50 I would replace the battery. Only buy a new phone if Apple stopped support or it's beyond repair. iPhone SE 1st gen will likely be supported until next year.
iPhone SE (original) and 6S updates will likely stop at the current iOS generation (14). There will still be some security updates to 14, but iOS 15 will likely drop those phones (with internals from 2015).
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

donfairplay wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm If you're going to stay on iOS, consider buying a new iPhone SE for the same amount of money (unlock it after 180 days) because Apple will likely kick off the 6s/SE first generation within a year:

$49.99
In-store only. After rebate redemption & 3 months service with AutoPay. Limit one. ID validation required. 64 GB only. Additional restrictions apply. See store for details. Offer not valid in CT/RI/Miami-Dade.
I'm in a similar situation (old iPhone SE with battery problems)

But that doesn't say what plan you have to sign up for ? Their cheapest plan is $40/month ? Not a bad price, but my current plan is $15/month.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm
donfairplay wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm If you're going to stay on iOS, consider buying a new iPhone SE for the same amount of money (unlock it after 180 days) because Apple will likely kick off the 6s/SE first generation within a year:

$49.99

But that doesn't say what plan you have to sign up for ? Their cheapest plan is $40/month ? Not a bad price, but my current plan is $15/month.
Their cheapest plan is 2GB/mo at $30. But you should confirm w/ them that this plan qualifies.
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

$49.99

I think there's two factors to look at in your case.

One is that you're going to be kicked off the platform within a year. There really isn't a better option than these prepaid carrier deals that pop up because you wouldn't have to pay rack rate for a phone ($399 for a 2nd gen SE, $700+ for the iPhone 12's, etc.). If you're going to stay on iOS there's going to be an outlay of cash eventually.

Two is that the delta isn't that bad for the prepaid carrier deals. $25 a month more for 6 months (plus $20 initial activiation fee) isn't that bad if you switch back to your $15 a month plan after six months and after you ask the carrier to unlock (make sure it is unlocked). It might be more than what you're paying today, but you can probably stay on the iOS platform for another 5'ish years with a 2nd gen SE.
cody69

Post by cody69 »

I've had apple batteries replaced and while worth the time and money to have it done, don't expect it to give the phone an equal life as the first battery did. My first battery lasted four years before I replaced it. The replacement one was worse than the first after about half that time. But it kicked the can down the road a couple more years and was a lot cheaper than the depreciation hit of buying a new iPhone.
^this

I had the same experience... the replacement battery gave it a bit more life... but the phone never compared to its original state. I recently purchased an iPhone 12 and using the trade-in program and got a pleasant amount of money for the older unit.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

donfairplay wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:19 pm

I think there's two factors to look at in your case.

One is that you're going to be kicked off the platform within a year. There really isn't a better option than these prepaid carrier deals that pop up because you wouldn't have to pay rack rate for a phone ($399 for a 2nd gen SE, $700+ for the iPhone 12's, etc.). If you're going to stay on iOS there's going to be an outlay of cash eventually.

Two is that the delta isn't that bad for the prepaid carrier deals. $25 a month more for 6 months (plus $20 initial activiation fee) isn't that bad if you switch back to your $15 a month plan after six months and after you ask the carrier to unlock (make sure it is unlocked). It might be more than what you're paying today, but you can probably stay on the iOS platform for another 5'ish years with a 2nd gen SE.
Thanks.

Not to hijack the thread, but my current iPhone SE is their Sprint model, which really works only on Sprint/MVNO brands (and internationally). That was the actual spectrum it listens on, so even when unlocked you can't go off Sprint or it's MVNOs. Is the iPhone SE 2020 model also restricted to certain frequency bands if you buy it from T-Mobile ?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

There is a cheaper solution. Buy a battery case for your IPhone SE for less than $30. There are plenty of options at amazon.com

KlangFool
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

illumination wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:41 pm Another yes vote. I replaced my iPhone 7 battery not too long ago, it was like a new phone.

I have a 12 now, I could have easily gone a another 1-2 years on my 7. The SE is even newer.
How do you like the 12?

I want to upgrade from 7 but having analysis paralysis on 12, 12 pro, and 12 max.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

ruanddu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:25 pm Hello,

I have a 3 year old Apple iPhone SE. The battery only lasts about 6 hours now before needing a recharge. Would you suggest a new battery through Apple store for $50? I am not sure if that will fix battery drain since I have heard the newer iOS versions drain the battery faster. Appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
If you like the phone otherwise, definitely. It’s a steal! Unless you plan to upgrade soon, in which case just a battery case perhaps?
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Yes, replace the battery.
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

lthenderson wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:13 pm I've had apple batteries replaced and while worth the time and money to have it done, don't expect it to give the phone an equal life as the first battery did. My first battery lasted four years before I replaced it. The replacement one was worse than the first after about half that time. But it kicked the can down the road a couple more years and was a lot cheaper than the depreciation hit of buying a new iPhone.
I had the same experience with my iPhone 6.
Carnut

Post by Carnut »

I was faced with this same question over a year ago and simply replaced the battery. Phone works great again and I am satisfied. If you don't have to have the latest and greatest Iphone, I feel that is a good option.
wander

Post by wander »

I wouldn't waste time to replace the battery. Just buy a Battery Case like this one or an external battery park that you can later use for other phones.
siker

Post by siker »

I have the same phone a and I am going to hang on to it as long as I can because they have the earphone jacks - I have several earphones lying around and I don’t need to worry about charging them or misplacing them.

I also feel it is wasteful to buy a new one when the old one is working just fine - so I would suggest getting a battery case or replacing the battery.

Also if you can hold on to it longer the current iphone 12 will become the old model and you can buy it for a lower price :D
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Post by Dicast » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:47 pm

I have fixed a few of my iphones and replaced a few batteries over time. Buy the tool kit from ifixit and then just buy the batteries if you want to save money. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+SE+ ... ment/61303 It is worth having a magnifying glass and a good kit of tools if you want to try this. I do enjoy having a magnetic pad to place the screws while I am taking it apart.
This is exactly what I did with my wife's 6S last year, and it's working like a champ. Being extra careful, and deliberate, it took me about 30 min to do the job. She doesn't want a larger phone; and likes this one just fine. Lots of money wasted on newer phones, when not necessary.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

02nz wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm Check your battery health first (Settings > Battery > Battery Health). I would replace if it's lower than 85% or so.
Thanks! Mine is at 87 percent “maximum capacity”.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Appreciate all the replies! Will check out the battery case. Also, good to know the original SE likely won’t be supported with iOS 15.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ruanddu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:05 am
02nz wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm Check your battery health first (Settings > Battery > Battery Health). I would replace if it's lower than 85% or so.
Thanks! Mine is at 87 percent “maximum capacity”.
Then you won't see much difference from a new battery.
ruanddu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:11 am Will check out the battery case.
A battery bank is a much better buy. A battery case will be useless once you replace the phone with a different model, and it adds bulk even when you don't need it.
illumination

Post by illumination »

mortfree wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:32 pm
illumination wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:41 pm Another yes vote. I replaced my iPhone 7 battery not too long ago, it was like a new phone.

How do you like the 12?

I want to upgrade from 7 but having analysis paralysis on 12, 12 pro, and 12 max.
I got the 12 mini, almost exactly the same size as the 7.

I like it, but if I could have done it all over again, I may have done an SE instead. I'm just not crazy about facial recognition vs fingerprint. Apple dropped the ball not having both. Not only is the face mask a problem but just having to position the phone perpendicular to your face can be annoying if it's say laying on a desk.

I do love the camera on the 12, the picture quality is amazing. Screen quality is great and processor is lightning fast. 5g though is just not really a relevant factor yet. It's a pretty mild upgrade, for me anyway.

Ultimately, I upgraded earlier than I needed to because my daughter needed a newer iPhone. I give her the hand me downs and get a cheap prepaid cell plan through Tracfone for her.
John Dulworth

Post by John Dulworth »

I have a 5S model that has a weak battery. I decided to buy a Mohpie battery case a couple of years ago. Never had a dead battery since. Phone does everything I need it to do so I will probably keep it till it dies or can no longer be used.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

02nz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:12 am A battery bank is a much better buy. A battery case will be useless once you replace the phone with a different model, and it adds bulk even when you don't need it.
How does this work exactly from a practical point of view? A typical battery bank looks to be comparable or larger in size and weight to the phone itself. So now I’m carrying around the bulk of two items plus a connecting cable?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

marcwd wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 pm
02nz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:12 am A battery bank is a much better buy. A battery case will be useless once you replace the phone with a different model, and it adds bulk even when you don't need it.
How does this work exactly from a practical point of view? A typical battery bank looks to be comparable or larger in size and weight to the phone itself. So now I’m carrying around the bulk of two items plus a connecting cable?
What do you mean, "how does this work?" Plug in when needed to charge. Unplug when you have enough charge. The iPhone SE has a small battery and it gains charge (in percentage terms) pretty quickly with most chargers/battery banks.

There are many different sizes/shapes of battery banks. Some of them are the size of a lipstick. Some of them are huge. Some have wireless charging so you don't even need a cable. My point was, they have the advantages of being useful with other devices (including a replacement for the SE), and you're not stuck with the weight/bulk when not needed.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

02nz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 pm
marcwd wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 pm
What do you mean, "how does this work?" Plug in when needed to charge. Unplug when you have enough charge. The iPhone SE has a small battery and it gains charge (in percentage terms) pretty quickly with most chargers/battery banks.

There are many different sizes/shapes of battery banks. Some of them are the size of a lipstick. Some of them are huge. Some have wireless charging so you don't even need a cable. My point was, they have the advantages of being useful with other devices (including a replacement for the SE), and you're not stuck with the weight/bulk when not needed.
My point was that if my phone‘s internal battery has degraded to the point where I‘d now have to routinely tote around an external battery, it’s time to either replace the battery or the phone itself.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I bought a "new to me" first gen SE after attempting a battery swap myself in my 5s. Something didn't work and the phone is toast. But the kit was only $14 on Amazon, so live and learn. I do also have a couple external batteries I've come across in my eScrap hobby. Next time the battery goes, I'll just stick with an external battery. I can charge the phone at home, wherever there's ac power, wherever there's a usb powered outlet, in my car. So if it lasts an hour, that's good enough for me. I reject upgrades in ios anyways, so I could care less if apple doesn't support the SE in new releases. ios 12 does everything I need.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid