Let's play chess

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Marseille07

Re: Let's play chess

Post by Marseille07 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:42 pm I haven't followed any of Nepo's prior games, so I didn't have high expectations for him. Carlsen is certainly one of the very best players of all time, very tough to beat in a long match.
I haven't followed any of Nepo's prior games either, but I somehow had high expectations because he was 4-8-1 vs Carlsen in classical TC prior to the championship games. Looks like we have to wait till 2023 when Firouzja is ready to challenge Carlsen.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Incredible stats from Game 6:
Carlsen, Magnus
2 inaccuracies
0 mistakes
2 blunders
12 Average centipawn loss

Nepomniachtchi, Ian
6 inaccuracies
1 mistake
2 blunders
20 Average centipawn loss

Carlsen just does not miss too many moves.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 pm Incredible stats from Game 6:
Carlsen, Magnus
2 inaccuracies
0 mistakes
2 blunders
12 Average centipawn loss

Nepomniachtchi, Ian
6 inaccuracies
1 mistake
2 blunders

Carlsen just does not miss too many moves.
Considering that there were 136 moves in that game and the resulting time constraints, that was a truly magnificent performance by Carlsen. Nepo is clearly a great player, but he's clearly not of the same caliber. Carlsen built up a slight edge over the last ~15 moves, taking advantage of Nepo's slight inaccuracies, until he was unstoppable.
The Sensible Steward
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:50 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:42 pm I haven't followed any of Nepo's prior games, so I didn't have high expectations for him. Carlsen is certainly one of the very best players of all time, very tough to beat in a long match.
I haven't followed any of Nepo's prior games either, but I somehow had high expectations because he was 4-8-1 vs Carlsen in classical TC prior to the championship games. Looks like we have to wait till 2023 when Firouzja is ready to challenge Carlsen.
I don't necessarily read too much into those stats. When you are the top everyone knows how you play, studies your games, etc. With many challengers and many tournaments the world champion likely puts very little effort into any specific individual player. However, in a world championship, now the world champion is studying you and only you.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:12 am
I don't necessarily read too much into those stats. When you are the top everyone knows how you play, studies your games, etc. With many challengers and many tournaments the world champion likely puts very little effort into any specific individual player. However, in a world championship, now the world champion is studying you and only you.
That's a good point. At this level, I guess dictating the outcome of the games might not be so difficult, given proper preparations for the matches.

I read somewhere Carlsen purposely chose a marathon match (longest in World Championship history) and outlasted Nepo. A strategy like this is part of the game I suppose.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

If Nepo doesn't pull a rabbit out of a hat shortly this match is over.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:41 am If Nepo doesn't pull a rabbit out of a hat shortly this match is over.
I'm afraid it is. Carlsen up +3.50 and poised to go 5-3. The series might be over as well.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Yeah I meant the whole match :).
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:45 pm
halfnine wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:12 am
That's a good point. At this level, I guess dictating the outcome of the games might not be so difficult, given proper preparations for the matches.

I read somewhere Carlsen purposely chose a marathon match (longest in World Championship history) and outlasted Nepo. A strategy like this is part of the game I suppose.
The clock is a piece.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Looks like Nepo played a very poor game.

Magnus Carlsen
2 inaccuracies
0 mistakes
0 blunders

Ian Nepomniachtchi
0 inaccuracies
1 mistake
1 blunder
32 Average centipawn loss

Before the series, Carlsen was talking smack on Nepo saying he's a moody player; unfortunately he might be correct: https://chess24.com/en/read/news/carlse ... bi-or-ding
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Agadmator's videos are so good and quite addicting :D

"Hello everyone."
"There's nothing more to be done here."
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Game 7 is one of the most dull games I've ever seen, and that's coming from a chess-playing nerd. :wink:

I think that Nepo's chances of winning this match are close to zero. Game 6 seemed to take down whatever wind he had in his sails, which didn't seem to be much in the first place.
The Sensible Steward
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Elite chess players have said that Ian overestimates positions at certain times. His b4 was a really bad move and the a pawn was grabbed.

I think game 6 has mentally done him in.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

it's pretty much over at this point. We need Firouzja to win the Candidates Tournament and challenge Carlsen in 2023.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

My youngest had their finest Eric Rosen moment yesterday. It was in a a blitz tournament against a 2400 Lichess player who continued to promote queens instead of opting for a mate in one. Fifteen moves and a fifth queen later promoted right into a stalemate.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Now Carlsen is up 5-3 in the match. Nepo made a serious and rather obvious blunder with 24...b5, and Carlsen quickly punished him for it.

The match is effectively over.
The Sensible Steward
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:23 pm Now Carlsen is up 5-3 in the match. Nepo made a serious and rather obvious blunder with 24...b5, and Carlsen quickly punished him for it.

Nepo can't lose another. I don't think he is physically fit enough to handle a 100+ move game again.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

rockstar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:23 pm Now Carlsen is up 5-3 in the match. Nepo made a serious and rather obvious blunder with 24...b5, and Carlsen quickly punished him for it.

Nepo can't lose another. I don't think he is physically fit enough to handle a 100+ move game again.
I don't think that Carlsen will allow him to get to 100 moves again.
The Sensible Steward
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:55 pm
rockstar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 pm

I don't think that Carlsen will allow him to get to 100 moves again.
If he knows he can burn him out with a long game, it might happen again unless we see more blunders. Maybe the games should start earlier than 4p.

Now, if we didn't have the time increments, than Nepo could have flagged him.
Last edited by rockstar on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:52 pm My youngest had their finest Eric Rosen moment yesterday. It was in a a blitz tournament against a 2400 Lichess player who continued to promote queens instead of opting for a mate in one. Fifteen moves and a fifth queen later promoted right into a stalemate.
That's...insane. I really wonder what go through their mind. I can't imagine trying something like that. The only extent I go is to sometimes underpromote as a rook instead of a queen.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:00 pm
halfnine wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:52 pm My youngest had their finest Eric Rosen moment yesterday. It was in a a blitz tournament against a 2400 Lichess player who continued to promote queens instead of opting for a mate in one. Fifteen moves and a fifth queen later promoted right into a stalemate.
That's...insane. I really wonder what go through their mind. I can't imagine trying something like that. The only extent I go is to sometimes underpromote as a rook instead of a queen.
I've won games online like this. I was clearly losing, but my opponent would stalemate me. This is why I follow GM Finegold's advice: never resign.

I'll also try to draw now, rather than lose. It's a mindset that I'm still working on.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Any good learning resources to improve your game?

I've been doing lichess' tutorial, but some are too easy and some are too hard (like the knight and bishop mate).
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:51 pm Any good learning resources to improve your game?

I've been doing lichess' tutorial, but some are too easy and some are too hard (like the knight and bishop mate).
I like the end game practice on Chess.com. It's under puzzles. But it's not available on their mobile app. If that's what you're struggling with, then I'd go to that site and work on it.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:59 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:51 pm Any good learning resources to improve your game?

I like the end game practice on Chess.com. It's under puzzles. But it's not available on their mobile app. If that's what you're struggling with, then I'd go to that site and work on it.
Thanks, I'll take a look! I'm struggling on all fronts, my endgame was never strong but these days making silly blunders after move 1.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 pm
rockstar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:59 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look! I'm struggling on all fronts, my endgame was never strong but these days making silly blunders after move 1.
I play for fun, so I don't take it too seriously. I'll never become a GM, so it's not even on my radar. I would like to get good enough to beat everyone at my local coffee shop. That's my goal right now.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

lightheir wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 am Until recently, I haven't had time to focus on chess. I've restarted my efforts by working through the lichess.org practice lessons and some puzzles.

I very quickly realized that I wasn't seeing the board - there were too many obvious blunders. Also, going through lessons wasn't enough. I needed a structured overview to this ultimate game of war.

Thanks to this thread, I found what I was looking for: Everyone's Second Chess Book, by Dan Heisman. It teaches you from the perspective of "Board vision". The Kindle version allows you to view the book in your web browser (Kindle "Cloud Reader). I have the book open in one browser window, lichess.org opened in another.

The lichess.org community forum post Best chess books mentions that several books have been converted to online lichess.org studies. Specifically, capablanca chess fundamentals • lichess.org. The original book is in the public domain here, but you can get the algebraic notation version from Amazon for $1.99.

I think this is a huge advantage, as it's very difficult to go through a ton of games in book format. Doing this "live" side-by-side allows you to walk through the game and understand things in context. It's also how you would play an online game.

In addition to the book and online play, I'll continue looking at YouTube videos and chess sites recommended in this thread.
Honestly, your intentions are good, but you're not doing it as efficiently as you should. Trust me, I did exactly what you are trying - it works for other fields with different emphases, but it it not optimal for chess.

First off - forget capablanca chess fundamentals. Yes, I did that too, it was free, he was a world-champion type figure, this book is quoted by numerous ex-pros, etc, but the truth is that it's archaic, the examples either too easy or too obscure, and nowhere near as clear in explaning concepts as current beginner chess media. I've also read literally all the books you mention - they're good, but again, too advanced for your level (despite being called a beginner book.) I guarantee you will gain nearly zero rating points from reading Heisman's book at your level.

You're learning the hard way (as everyone does, literally) that for a LONG LONG time, it's tactics, tactics, tactics tactics. And even when you 'get good', it's often still tactics tactics tactics.

Honestly, until you reach then 1800+ level on lichess ratings, your games will almost entirely be decided on a single errant tactic that decides the game. Note that when I say 'errant tactic', I do NOT mean just that you missed an attack and someone took a piece or pawn from you. I mean that you overlooked a winning tactic that may have been 3-5+ moves deep that you could have played and which a computer can point out instantly. In chess, if you miss such winning tactics, you often will lose the game as that's the ENTIRE point of chess strategy - to set up tactical wins, even if they are complex, and if you can't execute the kill, your position instantly weakens (watch it on a chess computer score go down on the very next move.)

At your entry level, forget about books. Too slow, too annoying. Do tons of tactical problems. Until you're sick of them and then do more. And more.

And to learn strategy - again, forget about books. Just start watching the youtube personalities mentioned above like John Bartholomew or Chess network. Free (if you have internet), super easy to understand (they are generally playing 5-min blitz games so it's almost all core concepts, not super rare subtleties), and shows the stuff you absolutely will see in actual online play. (As opposed to studying Grandmaster books which is so sophisticated it'll look NOTHING like your amateur games, even if you are good.)

Oh, and of course, ironically I forget to mention the single most important thing, which is play and learn from your mistakes.

In summary, the priority list to get better as a early beginner.
1. PLAY as much as you can! You don't even need to deeply analyze your games at this point, just play as much as possible, take lots of beatings, run the lichess CPU analysis on them to see what you missed tactically!
2. Tactics tactics tactics. It is even ok to do more tactics than playing as a beginner, but you still do have to play some.
3. Watch videos AFTER you've done a lot of #1 and #2.
4. Watch your rating go up!

This should get you to 1600-1700 on lichess fairly quickly. After that, it's still almost the same as above, but you will have to add in more self-analysis of games, and some dedicated endgame study, but that's for later.

Chess books are actually pretty terrible for beginners in chess. Hate to say it, but it's true. Just by design, chess books are hard to get through on a board (impossible, actually!) and because they are word-based, they invariably focus on higher level strategy, even if they are beginner-aimed books. I've met and beaten tons of book-loving chess players (usually older adult players), and been beaten by probably as many zero-book players (kids, actually). It's the unfortunate truth that in chess, books really become valuable only after you are quite a strong, like near-expert, because of the outsized role tactics plays.
Chess is just hard work for those without extra ordinary talent. Tactics yes, but it's hard to gain advantage after certain level because most folks at competitive level learn that too, then the whole strategy with theory of good piece/bad piece all come in.. novelties in variations. Your head starts hurting after a while thinking how much effort goes into improving a little bit. I don't know if lichess 1600-1700 is good rating, I think I was rated 1800 or so once there, but I am not 1800 at world chess or us chess rating. A 1600 player at world rating is far more stronger than a lichess player at 1800. Play over the board at strong clubs, it's just brutal grind though. I am trying to forget most of it nowadays. It's sad not being as talented as the masters at this game, just hard work for the rest of us. It's LeBron playing ball and then there is the pretty good amateur.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:29 pm I play for fun, so I don't take it too seriously. I'll never become a GM, so it's not even on my radar. I would like to get good enough to beat everyone at my local coffee shop. That's my goal right now.
Be careful...the Botez sisters are known to show up at the coffee shops.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Is Sicilian not a popular opening among the top-level GMs? I'm kind of disappointed that neither player has played it.

In 2018 it appears Carlsen was using the Sicilian defense a lot, as well as English in some cases.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

For endgames I'd start with Silman's Complete Endgame Course. He has you learn the endgames that are associated with your rating level. So you won't see the knight and bishop mate for a long time and can focus on the ones that matter most. Once you've learned those, I'd do the thematic endgame puzzles on Lichess. Specifically the pawn endgames and rook endgames as these will show up in games quite frequently.

Do some tactics everyday. Lichess puzzles also show where you are strongest and weakest. I'd focus some of the time on solving thematic puzzles where you are weakest.

Review your games. Tally where you make your mistakes (tactics, endgame, king safety, opening, etc). Then work on those areas that show up most frequently.

Slowly develop an opening repertoir (just the first four or five moves) by plugging your games into OpeningTree and see where you are losing most often. Come up with a strategy for those lines. Not necessarily the best moves but based on themes that you understand.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:02 am

For endgames I'd start with Silman's Complete Endgame Course. He has you learn the endgames that are associated with your rating level. So you won't see the knight and bishop mate for a long time and can focus on the ones that matter most. Once you've learned those, I'd do the thematic endgame puzzles on Lichess. Specifically the pawn endgames and rook endgames as these will show up in games quite frequently.

Do some tactics everyday. Lichess puzzles also show where you are strongest and weakest. I'd focus some of the time on solving thematic puzzles where you are weakest.

Review your games. Tally where you make your mistakes (tactics, endgame, king safety, opening, etc). Then work on those areas that show up most frequently.

Slowly develop an opening repertoir (just the first four or five moves) by plugging your games into OpeningTree and see where you are losing most often. Come up with a strategy for those lines. Not necessarily the best moves but based on themes that you understand.
Thank you, I'll check out Silman's, thematic endgame etc etc as well as start analyzing my mistakes :beer
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Nepo went with English and blundered something, now -2...might lose this game as white.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:56 am Thank you, I'll check out Silman's, thematic endgame etc etc as well as start analyzing my mistakes :beer
There's a free endgame course on Chessable. I've mainly gone through the pawn-and-king lines but there was plenty there to digest. Of course if you want to invest some cash you can do better.

I also bought their "1001 Chess Exercises for Beginners" for 19.99 and that's a great source of tactical puzzles, many organized by theme, and about 300 of them mixed motifs. The course name makes it seem easy but many of them are not. Best way to do these puzzles is to try to calculate the complete solution before making any moves, although sometimes if I'm having trouble I'll make the 1-2 moves that look strongest and re-evaluate once I'm there.

I analyze every loss, and while it doesn't save me from making the same mistake twice, sometimes I do remember "hey I'm getting into familiar territory".
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am
Marseille07 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:56 am Thank you, I'll check out Silman's, thematic endgame etc etc as well as start analyzing my mistakes :beer
There's a free endgame course on Chessable. I've mainly gone through the pawn-and-king lines but there was plenty there to digest. Of course if you want to invest some cash you can do better.

I also bought their "1001 Chess Exercises for Beginners" for 19.99 and that's a great source of tactical puzzles, many organized by theme, and about 300 of them mixed motifs. The course name makes it seem easy but many of them are not. Best way to do these puzzles is to try to calculate the complete solution before making any moves, although sometimes if I'm having trouble I'll make the 1-2 moves that look strongest and re-evaluate once I'm there.

I analyze every loss, and while it doesn't save me from making the same mistake twice, sometimes I do remember "hey I'm getting into familiar territory".
Thank you, I'll check those out as well. Analyzing every loss sounds like a great idea too. Randomly playing pick up games won't make you stronger unfortunately.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Game 9 ended 0-1 as 27. c5 appeared like a blunder; though to be fair Carlsen defended like a machine here, only 10 avg centipawn loss.

Ian Nepomniachtchi
0 inaccuracies
0 mistakes
1 blunder

Magnus Carlsen
0 inaccuracies
0 mistakes
0 blunders
10 Average centipawn loss
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am ...I analyze every loss, and while it doesn't save me from making the same mistake twice, sometimes I do remember "hey I'm getting into familiar territory"...
We take the FENs from the mistakes, thematic ideas, and/or other critical points from the game and then put them into Chessable as tactics. Chessable is free to use in this manner. The tactics show up again and again on a spaced repetition pattern essentially making sure that you don't make the same mistakes twice. We do the same thing with critical opening lines.

edit: I see from above that you are well aware of how Chessable works. I'll leave the content as is though as information for others.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

halfnine wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 am
canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am ...I analyze every loss, and while it doesn't save me from making the same mistake twice, sometimes I do remember "hey I'm getting into familiar territory"...
We take the FENs from the mistakes, thematic ideas, and/or other critical points from the game and then put them into Chessable as tactics. Chessable is free to use in this manner. The tactics show up again and again on a spaced repetition pattern essentially making sure that you don't make the same mistakes twice. We do the same thing with critical opening lines.

edit: I see from above that you are well aware of how Chessable works. I'll leave the content as is though as information for others.
Actually I had no idea I could make my own puzzles out of my screw-ups. That's great! It will take a little time because I make so many mistakes, but this sounds like a great tool! Thank you for sharing that.

EDIT: Is this "Create a course" or something else?
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

canadianbacon wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:22 am
halfnine wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 am

Actually I had no idea I could make my own puzzles out of my screw-ups. That's great! It will take a little time because I make so many mistakes, but this sounds like a great tool! Thank you for sharing that.

EDIT: Is this "Create a course" or something else?
Yes, you have to create a course. OTOH, I believe you initially have 4 free courses to work with. Because of the way Chessable is setup I actually had to use two of the free courses for my own stuff. One for tactics and one for openings. The reason two were required was because Chessable handles it differently if you start from move 1 versus a FEN from a move later in the game and the two are not interchangeable.

As to getting the data into the course you can do it manually by playing the moves or you can mass load using their import tool. Manually doing the moves as you review the games is probably the simplest way to go about it. Ultimately, though, I wanted an easier way to maintain the data and have future control over it so I opted to put the data into a spreadsheet and then mass import. If you are interested in going that route I can try to explain what I came up with and how to format for the mass import.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Tbh I think Nepo's collapse started in Game 6. Mentally he just hasn't been able to recover and lost his form since then. Carlsen called him a "moody player" and he was right.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Does anyone know why Nepo keeps leaving the table? I don't see how leaving the table helps him focus on the game, and I believe he started leaving the table more frequently after Game 6.

Apparently Carlsen touched a piece and moved another, a move Nepo could have challenged if he witnessed; but he wasn't there.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Game 6 was an instant classic, but the rest of the match is turning out to be rather boring, IMHO. Carlsen simply walked all over Nepo. It's hard to believe that Nepo got this far given his relatively poor playing now.
The Sensible Steward
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 pm Game 6 was an instant classic, but the rest of the match is turning out to be rather boring, IMHO. Carlsen simply walked all over Nepo. It's hard to believe that Nepo got this far given his relatively poor playing now.
What I have read is that his endurance can be an issue in tournaments. When he won candidates, the tournament was suspended halfway due to COVID, so this was less of an issue for him. Carlsen grinding him down in Game 6 appears to have had a residual effect. He also has to open things up now that he's down in the match and Carlsen has exploited that. I am used to seeing that in hockey but I guess it applies in chess as well.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

halfnine wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 pm If you are interested in going that route I can try to explain what I came up with and how to format for the mass import.
Appreciate the offer. I am currently grinding the course I have (doing a pseudo-woodpecker approach where I completed it in 28 days, now doing 14, and next will do 7), but once I am done with it I will play with this.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Here's a footage of Nepo leaving as soon as he made the fateful c5 move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLh__dvNT0

I just don't get this, where is he going and how does it help his game to leave the board as soon as making a move? Is Nepo notified when Carlsen makes a move, or Nepo's clock keeps running while he's away?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

The quality of press conferences is quite poor, especially this Maurice Ashley person. He was talking trash on Nepo and sitting between the players as if he didn't say a thing. Not very professional imo.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Why do they keep trolling the opening move? I won't post every video but this is like the 5th time it happened during this championship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydrgkJple0

I find it amusing that chess is big on the touch-move rule, but faking & redoing the opening move is apparently okay.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I wonder what the odds in Vegas (I'm sure someone is betting on it) that Carlsen will win game 11. I'd say about 60%.
The Sensible Steward
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:28 pm I wonder what the odds in Vegas (I'm sure someone is betting on it) that Carlsen will win game 11. I'd say about 60%.
I think, he's going to draw them until the end now. No need to take unnecessary risks at this point.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:45 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:28 pm I wonder what the odds in Vegas (I'm sure someone is betting on it) that Carlsen will win game 11. I'd say about 60%.
I think, he's going to draw them until the end now. No need to take unnecessary risks at this point.
He certainly might, but that doesn't seem like Carlsen's style. Rather, I think he'll wait for Nepo to blunder again and then pounce.
The Sensible Steward
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:03 pm He certainly might, but that doesn't seem like Carlsen's style. Rather, I think he'll wait for Nepo to blunder again and then pounce.
Nepo will score 3 easy points by spotting Carlsen touch pieces without saying "J'adoube."
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:28 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:03 pm He certainly might, but that doesn't seem like Carlsen's style. Rather, I think he'll wait for Nepo to blunder again and then pounce.
Nepo will score 3 easy points by spotting Carlsen touch pieces without saying "J'adoube."
He has to be at the board to do that though. :P
The Sensible Steward