Cross country move.....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
four7s

Cross country move.....

Post by four7s »

We will be moving in July from Nevada to South Florida and are weighing the alternatives for moving our stuff. PODS get some bad reviews from several years ago but compared to their competitors they may be an alternative to truck hire and driving ourselves. Commercial moving companies are too expensive as we’re downsizing and getting rid of furniture and will likely end up with lots and lots of boxes. My question is if any posters have had any recent experience, good or bad, with PODS. Thanks in advance.
7eight9

Re: Cross country move.....

Post by 7eight9 »

No experience with PODS. That said, I've seen both PODS and ABF's U-Pack https://www.upack.com/?&refnum=google&c ... lsrc=aw.ds in our neighborhood.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
raveon

Post by raveon »

I had very good experience with ABF U-Pack moving from PA -> CA a decade ago. It is like the pods concept. They drop a container in your parking lot, you load/lock it, and they come back to pick it up. It took about 5 days transit time with tracking. Nothing broke, etc, as I had secured the boxes with tie downs. Total cost was $3.5 - $4.5K or so if i recall for a ReloCube (6x7x8) at that time. I packed everything myself into standard moving boxes, and loaded it up.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

I've used U-Pack three times over the past 20 years, and been fairly happy with them each time. I've looked into Pods, but they either weren't available in my area or didn't win on price, but if they're competitive for your locations they may be okay.

Not having to drive a massive moving truck thousands of miles is a burden I am very happy to avoid, and will gladly pay thousands for. You will want to bring enough you can manage for a few days or a couple of weeks while it's being shipped.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I hired a full service moving company the last time I moved. I will never do it any other way for the rest of my life. Worth every penny!
supdodo

Post by supdodo »

If you have a lot of boxes (clothes, kitchen stuff, etc.) Fedex ground is the best. If you have a lot of books, then USPS media mail is cheap. If you ship your car, you can also fit things in the trunk and backseats.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm I've used U-Pack three times over the past 20 years, and been fairly happy with them each time. I've looked into Pods, but they either weren't available in my area or didn't win on price, but if they're competitive for your locations they may be okay.

Not having to drive a massive moving truck thousands of miles is a burden I am very happy to avoid, and will gladly pay thousands for. You will want to bring enough you can manage for a few days or a couple of weeks while it's being shipped.
How much would they cost if you add loading / unloading? The driving cost of U-Pack seems very reasonable.
genzboglehead

Post by genzboglehead »

We’ve used PODS and they work great. If you have too much stuff you can use them for storage too. Done Indy to Scottsdale and back with a full pod, no issues. Just make sure you use ratchet straps to pack.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A quick tip for books. Look for apps on your phone that can scan the isbn number and give you a quote. I've been going through lots of my books and find them here and there that'll sell. Easy way to reduce the bulk and bring in some money for the reductions.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:32 pm A quick tip for books. Look for apps on your phone that can scan the isbn number and give you a quote. I've been going through lots of my books and find them here and there that'll sell. Easy way to reduce the bulk and bring in some money for the reductions.
Or ship your books Media Mail.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This might be a useful forum for you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm
How much would they cost if you add loading / unloading? The driving cost of U-Pack seems very reasonable.
I don't think U-Pack has any loading services. You'd have to separately hire movers to do that part for you. On the last move I did most everything myself, but we hired some movers to bring in the 10-15 heaviest pieces of furniture, and that seemed worth it. I think ours were $125 for two hours, but rates are probably going to vary a lot by locality.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:22 pm I hired a full service moving company the last time I moved. I will never do it any other way for the rest of my life. Worth every penny!
+100 This

Though I also needed storage for an indefinite period of time, which they also handled. It was fantastic! Best money I ever spent. When I relocated earlier last year, they put it on a truck and sent it cross country. Merely gave them an address. They showed up and unloaded it all. One guy literally carried my mattress on his back by himself. Quite impressive!
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:03 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm
I don't think U-Pack has any loading services. You'd have to separately hire movers to do that part for you. On the last move I did most everything myself, but we hired some movers to bring in the 10-15 heaviest pieces of furniture, and that seemed worth it. I think ours were $125 for two hours, but rates are probably going to vary a lot by locality.
You're right, they sort of help finding movers for you but generally not included in the package: https://www.upack.com/moving-resources/moving-labor
birdog

Post by birdog »

supdodo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 pm If you have a lot of boxes (clothes, kitchen stuff, etc.) Fedex ground is the best. If you have a lot of books, then USPS media mail is cheap. If you ship your car, you can also fit things in the trunk and backseats.
Hmmm...not sure that’s gonna work. :oops:
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

four7s wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 pm We will be moving in July from Nevada to South Florida and are weighing the alternatives for moving our stuff. PODS get some bad reviews from several years ago but compared to their competitors they may be an alternative to truck hire and driving ourselves. Commercial moving companies are too expensive as we’re downsizing and getting rid of furniture and will likely end up with lots and lots of boxes. My question is if any posters have had any recent experience, good or bad, with PODS. Thanks in advance.
ABF-Upack. we went from NC to PA. They drop off a tractor trailer you fill it up add in the bulk head and they drop it off. you only pay for what you use. Go to harbor freight and buy a dolly and moving blankets.