Honda Fit discontinued after 2020

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Irenaeus

Honda Fit discontinued after 2020

Post by Irenaeus »

Honda announced that it will no longer offer the Honda Fit in North America after its 2020 model. Might the buyer of a 2020 Fit face part replacement problems as a result?
hi_there

Re: Honda Fit discontinued after 2020

Post by hi_there »

I don't see why finding parts will be a problem. There are so many Honda Fits around that Honda is going to be selling OEM replacement parts for a pretty long time.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Most Japanese car companies make significant styling and mechanical changes to their cars every 3-4 years or so to the point that very little is still shared with the previous version of the same model. My daughter drives my old 2004 Civic and it naturally bears no resemblance to my 2016 Civic, yet parts availability for her car aren't a problem. If they can do that, there won't be a problem with parts for a FIT that is being discontinued, especially since that line ran for a long time.

Cheers.
benderbr

Post by benderbr »

One issue with buying a discontinued model is resale values may drop. They are being discontinued because reduced interest and declining sales. Maybe ok if you get a great deal on it. A few years from now it will be harder to sell. Cheap cars like the Fit may be an exception since any reliable car will have a terminal value.

https://apnews.com/article/581ca5f0c614 ... a3de1058ae
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

You'll still be able to buy parts even if it's discontinued. All our cars are at least 10 years old, no problems.

I used to own a Fit, wonderful vehicle. But I'd only recommend it for a "city dweller" here in the USA, everyone seems to have a large SUV or Truck. I want an equal amount of metal around me, hence I also drive a truck.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Parts are readily available for both 1st and 2nd generation CRX's. They made orders of magnitude more FITs than CRX's. Parts will remain available 30 years from now. (the last CRX was produced 30 years ago).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Considering this is a world car and sold in massive numbers in other countries, I don't see a problem. The used car part market is huge, and a lot of salvage yards list parts online too.

The big downside will be for people that want to buy a new Fit in the future. What do they do? Civic Hatchback? VW Golf?
matti

Post by matti »

When we found out last fall that the Fit was being discontinued, my wife bought a new-to-her 2019 Fit EX with 1,000 miles (to replace her 2009 Fit). We don't feel the need to worry about availability of replacement parts, as others have noted.