Why do car salesman want to talk to me?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Why do car salesman want to talk to me?

Post by coalcracker »

I’m in the market for a new car for the first time in almost a decade. Today I emailed a dozen dealerships for their out-the-door price. At least half of them have been pestering me for my phone number or to call them. One acted offended when I said I’d rather communicate via email.

I would imagine it takes less time and energy to send a short email than BS on a 10 minute phone call. What do they hope to gain from speaking with me?
livesoft

Re: Why do car salesman want to talk to me?

Post by livesoft »

I was fine with talking on the phone for the last 2 cars I bought. It was really much faster than e-mail. I didn't waste my time and the salesrep didn't waste their time. Besides if you don't answer your phone they will leave you a voicemail.

Of course, I don't BS them for 10 minutes on a phone call.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 pm I’m in the market for a new car for the first time in almost a decade. Today I emailed a dozen dealerships for their out-the-door price. At least half of them have been pestering me for my phone number or to call them. One acted offended when I said I’d rather communicate via email.

I would imagine it takes less time and energy to send a short email than BS on a 10 minute phone call. What do they hope to gain from speaking with me?
A lot of dealerships have a specific internet salesperson who would more than likely be thrilled to deal with you as you desire. Although it might be easier to give them the initial list of requirements on the phone since they can ask about specifics you may be unaware of.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 pm...What do they hope to gain from speaking with me?
To be able to get a feel/read your reactions so they can gauge better on pressuring selling to you. It's easier for most people to reject/ignore email. When interacting with a "real" person, most people don't want to seem "rude" or antisocial and will answer questions and interact with others in ways they might not with a faceless/voiceless email or Internet interaction.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Afty

Post by Afty »

Because they think they have a better chance at a sale by talking to you. I wouldn't worry about offending them. Remember that you're the one paying the money, so you get to decide how they sell to you.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 pm I’m in the market for a new car for the first time in almost a decade. Today I emailed a dozen dealerships for their out-the-door price. At least half of them have been pestering me for my phone number or to call them. One acted offended when I said I’d rather communicate via email.

DW and I have been shopping for an SUV for quite some time.
We went through this with Kia, then Hyundai, then finally Toyota.
Only email contacts with the internet sales offices at various dealerships across the state, referring to online inventory of new 2021 models, previously also 2020 models.
We only "engaged" with the salesman that were patient and respected our desire to only email communicate until we had more information and all that. For example: out of 6 Kia Dealerships, only 2 salesman respected our emails and communication. Then we eventually visited one of them and the salesman was very nice and we test drove the car and all that.

Eventually, we did the same thing hunting the entire state for a Toyota Dealership that had on inventory, current or coming in, exactly what we were looking for. Out of 8 Toyota Dealerships, 3 salesman did internet deals via email. We followed up with one locally and the salesman was respectful and we ended up just a tad under the other dealerships without having to travel farther.

Ended up with a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Premium, etc. for a very fair price.

Salesman need to talk to you on the phone to convince you to come to their dealership and talk to them in person. Once there in their lair, presence, then you can be better sold helped.

Suggest: persist in a no compromise buying on your terms as you are comfortable. It's your money.

For us: it's strictly business by the numbers. We can do "face to face" at the proper time down the line. But, for us, there's no sense going through anything that's not needed or all those things. When we do talk to a salesman, then that's great and part of that stage of the buying process.

Car buying "boglehead style".
This is the "way".

Suggest reading the outstanding car buying thread by "denovo". Search for it.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
doss

Post by doss »

I bought my 2020 Honda via email. Was easy. Just told them I couldn’t set foot at dealer because of COVID and they respected that. They even delivered car to me .
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
z91

Post by z91 »

Usually because it's faster. But, if you do find yourself on the phone just put your guard up and refuse to discuss other dealership prices, unless you have a "best and final offer" you'd like them to beat.

I've found the absolute best dealerships in terms of price and service are the ones that don't hassle me around. When I was shopping for a Rav4 last year the best price I got was the dealer I called who wanted to get me off the phone because they had another call to answer :D
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

I had the same experience this summer when I purchased our most recent truck. My email was sent BCC, addressed to “all XYZ Dealers within 200 miles of XYZ”, and was very direct, told them the exact vehicle I was interested (every option, package, trim level specified in any color but Red) and was willing to accept more bells/whistles but nothing less and I was prepared to buy the car immediately from the lowest out the door offer. It was 7 dealers, 3 no replies, 2 with BS quotes and 2 who would only provide a quote after talking. Was never sure why, maybe they wanted to make sure I was really a buyer, but I gave both my cell phone they both asked a bunch of questions which I answered. Maybe they were assessing my seriously or capability to buy since there lots of questions about financing. My response to financing was simply I could pay 100%, finance 100% or anything in between depending on what was the best deal. Ultimately they both emailed OTD bids based on MFG financing and I chose one that was $150 higher but 80 miles miles closer. Drove up the next morning, truck was ready, spent about 90 min between test drive, inspection and financing no attempt to upsell. Very happy with the truck, finance manger asked that I keep the loan 90days, kept it 6 months and just paid off the balance this week.
jhawktx

Post by jhawktx »

What do they hope to gain?? A car sale.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Afty wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:05 pm Because they think they have a better chance at a sale by talking to you. I wouldn't worry about offending them. Remember that you're the one paying the money, so you get to decide how they sell to you.
It's this. It's like fighting an alligator, they can do it on land or in the swamp, but they'd prefer to get you into the swamp for maximum advantage.

In the past when I've done it, 90% of dealers just won't give me an out the door price. Even after several exchanges. That's okay, I just blow them off, and work with the ones that are being straight up.

One of the things that people like most about Saturn(RIP), CarMax, Carvana, and Tesla, is that the pricing is up-front and no negotiations. It just like everything else you buy in life (other than homes and health care).
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Weird. Car salesmen wanting to talk to a guy that is interested in buying a car. Such strange behavior.

Its pretty simple really. People who actually come on the lot are more likely to buy. Car dealers get tons of emails that produce no sales. They are what's referred to as tire kickers.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I always give my number as ###-867-5309

I think only 1 has been smart enough to get it.
Most email back saying "I tried your number and it doesn't work" - yes, that's the point. Email only.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:23 pm Weird. Car salesmen wanting to talk to a guy that is interested in buying a car. Such strange behavior.

Its pretty simple really. People who actually come on the lot are more likely to buy. Car dealers get tons of emails that produce no sales. They are what's referred to as tire kickers.
This.

There ar a lot of TIRE KXIKERS asking about the OTD price on a Shelby, Corvette, GT3RS, ETC.
If they can get you into the dealership the conversion rate from shopper to buyer is much higher than over the phone or net.

I don't know what line of work the OP is in, but it is the same reason that ALL sales people want to meet in person, including some of the greats like Ziegler.

Why did Watson want his salesmen to look professional?
To convince everyone that IBM was better than everyone else.

Yes, car sales is a crappy business because of all the obfuscation, but how can they do all that "bro building" if you don't show up in person.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

surfstar wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 pm I always give my number as ###-867-5309

I think only 1 has been smart enough to get it.
Most email back saying "I tried your number and it doesn't work" - yes, that's the point. Email only.
I don't know why they don't want to talk to you JENNY 😎

(or is it Jennie...?)
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Most car dealers intentionally devise the most opaque and complex process of any consumer purchase (except medical care). Dealers' chosen system depends on high pressure and controlling the process, which doesn't work over email.

"Surely you need the tire wax maintenance program! Your tire wax on this model could go at any time! Think of your children!" falls apart when you've set the out-the-door price before coming in the door.

Marylander1
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

they want to talk to you to "sell" you
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

You can probably guess as to why.

This is how I weed out the ones (dealerships) I am not serious about....I am the buyer, I control the process.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

The answer is 100% YMMV (your mileage may vary).

In just one car buying experience, I emailed 5 Subaru dealers nearest me. I included specific stock numbers from their sites. I was looking for a new Crosstrek with no added options and asked for the total price of the car and any dealer fees, not including tax, registration or sticker. 4 dealers gave me the "come on in and we'll give you a great price". The 5th sent me a price broken down to the car, the doc fee (aka, additional dealer markup) and I brought the email from the SALES MANAGER to the dealership and bought the car. The sales people were very surprised at the price.

Something to remember: Sales people have absolutely NO authority to price a car. They can only bring an offer to their sales manager, who prices the car. The sales people are there to assess if you're a serious buyer, if you have the financial ability to buy the car and if you actually have an interest in a specific car. There will be someone else who will assess your trade. And the sales manager determines whether they will accept your offer. Later, the business manager will attempt to get financing through the dealer selected bank, try to sell you overpriced warranties and add ons.

If you do your homework, you should be able to figure out how low the price might go. Figure that out. Drop the price from what you believe is as low as possible and then make an offer by email or phone a hundred or 2 below that price. It's how I bought my Jeep. Lowest price, subtract $200, leave a voicemail for the sales person who I bought the last Jeep from well before business hours so it went to voicemail. I said who I am, exactly what I wanted and that if they could meet "this price", I would drive over mid morning to put down a deposit. They agreed, I drove in and left a credit card deposit to order a brand new Jeep with exactly what I wanted on it.

So what's the homework? Go drive the model vehicle as close to what you're looking for. I tend to do this at a dealer who has no chance of getting my business. With the Jeep, I wanted to be sure that the interior of a Wrangler without power windows had the same interior as one with. I found one, looked and confirmed that it was fine. I did give that dealer the opportunity to sell it to me as it had no extra options I didn't want but was not in the color I wanted and lacked a limited slip differential. They told me something along the line of that they'd give me a great price. They proposed a price that was just an average first price. I simply responded along the lines of "I thought you were going to give me a great price. I can do better than that just by looking at online prices at your competing dealers". They never went any farther.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Keep it to 100% email. You’ll be glad you did.

Your final deal with a sales managers signature will be emailed to you and that is what you will print and bring along with your checkbook when you go to pick up your new car.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70%/30% AA. No mortgage. Simple.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Re phone call.

Because if your wallet is open they want to dip in for more. It's called up-selling. And they want you to think they are your friend so you will buy from them.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:23 pm Weird. Car salesmen wanting to talk to a guy that is interested in buying a car. Such strange behavior.

times are changing. If dealers don't realize that many buyers don't want to come in to the dealership, talk to a salesperson when it can all be done by email. There are people who know exactly what they want and email is all they need. Hard to believe people still go to a dealership, sit at a desk as a salesperson runs back and forth between you and his manager. Ridiculous.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I think they're trained to do whatever the boss says. If the boss is an idiot...

When I was shopping for my current 4Runner I emailed a dealer in D.C. and asked if a specific truck, by number, had KDSS a $1750 option. I told them I was in Richmond and had purchased vehicles in D.C. previously. Didn't hear back from them.

Three days later I got a return email, "When can you come by?" I responded that I was in Nags Head NC and wouldn't be back in Richmond for a week or so. I again asked if the truck had KDSS.

Their immediate response? "Can you come by today?"

Sure, it's only 3.5 hours to Richmond and another 100 miles to D.C., let me fill up with gas and I'll be right over.
wilked

Post by wilked »

I will disagree and say that these days you should have an early phone call. Dealers get these emails OFTEN these days, and they are ignoring many of them. Now you could say 'well I just won't deal with them', which is fine, but won't get you the lowest price.

A lot of people recommended this method (I think here it was recommended)
https://fightingchance.com/

I used that 2 years ago. As part of buying the package you get to talk to the guy James Bragg. Well I went email only, most Subaru dealers just ignored me (my emails were specific, best out the door price on VIN XXXXX). I did get what I believe to be a great price on one of the few dealers who responded, but it's hard to be sure as I only had a couple respond to me.

After this I called James to get advice on whether to move ahead, and he made it clear that I messed up by not following his advice and calling the dealers first.

Generally, he advises like this:
-Call the dealers, make a connection/relationship via phone with sales manager. Let her/him know you will be contacting a number of dealers on specific cars in the next week and you will be asking for best price out the door. Let them know you will be using email only and you won't visit the dealership until a price is agreed and firm. Get their personal email. Repeat for others. Once you have them all, then you send out the multiple emails, recalling the conversation on the phone. You are very likely to get > 80% compliance doing it this way.

The next time I'm going to buy a car I will change my method to the above.

I agree with others, I would rather not call, but I have experienced the failure in relying on email only.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Because they want to know you're a real person, and a serious buyer, and not waste their time for the so-called "tire-kickers". Getting a price together (with sales tax, registrations, etc) can be somewhat time consuming for them too.

We literally just bought a minivan 3 last week and I was ready to blast emails to several dealerships to get OTD prices. But I called first to "warn them" and to show them that I was a serious buyer. I ended up only sent the email to one of the dealership. I told them straight-up I was calling several dealership to get the prices and I would buy within a day or two from the lowest price, after giving everyone one chance to counter. Most just asked me some basics questions, didn't want / need me to send email, and came back with prices (via phone call) after few hours (I called in the morning and got ~6 prices by the afternoon same day).

Some tried to intimidated me, cajoled me, told me to come to the dealership, come back after I got lowest price and they'd beat whatever. I just had to stand firm and calmly told them the way I want to play it. I said "you don't have to participate if you don't want to but I am not coming to a dealership until we have a deal and finish most of everything by phone/email". Remember that you're in control. Also remember that my objective was not to get a specific price, but the lowest price anyone is willing to sell me at the time I was ready to buy. Having that objective in mind is really important and it changes the dynamic of process, at least psychologically to me.

Talking to them is also a time to gauge whether or not you want to deal with them for your car-buying. I for one would not deal with whoever sounds sleazy, disrespectful, etc even if their price is lower.

In the end we had a deal within a day for a price that True Car rated as "excellent", with the dealership / salesman we felt good about. I literally spent less than 10 minutes at the dealership, to sign two paperwork there and waited for the temporary plate before driving off.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

There are those who respond well to messages that state the obvious: You have researched pricing, are interested and not just fishing around, are ready to buy, want OTD prices, minimal haggling and want to avoid as much in-person contact due to Covid19 or other reasons, realize they get many fishing inquiries but you will purchase if price is right or get out of the way quickly if there is no possibility of a sale. That has worked well for us when just taking the casual approach but sometimes directly acknowledging that in-person haggling is obviously inefficient but maintained because it generally works to the advantage of the dealer. We indicate that we are not averse to that but are willing to buy if they cut to the chase. Compare the responses to Kelley and Edmunds reports on combined averages for trade-in and vehicle cost to determine the quality of your deal and don't forget that doc fees vary widely and driving to another area may be worth it.

Tim
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

You know very well why they want your phone number. They want to sell you. "When is a good time for you to come in and see what we have available?" "What are you looking to spend?" "Here's why you should buy from us...", "Let me tell you about our financing offers", "Can you come in today, we have a special running today only but you'll need to come in so we can get something put together for you."

Hopefully you were very specific in your initial email about your vehicle requirements, giving them all the specs and options, down to the trim package, any option packages and exterior and interior colors.

If they email back requesting a phone number, just respond with something along the lines of "Do you have some questions about my request that I can answer, if so, please just email those to me. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing back from you on availability and your best OTD price on the model I am looking for. Thanks, Mr. Coalcracker"

Stand firm! Good luck!
Last edited by galawdawg on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:05 pm

DW and I have been shopping for an SUV for quite some time.
We went through this with Kia, then Hyundai, then finally Toyota.
Only email contacts with the internet sales offices at various dealerships across the state, referring to online inventory of new 2021 models, previously also 2020 models.
We only "engaged" with the salesman that were patient and respected our desire to only email communicate until we had more information and all that. For example: out of 6 Kia Dealerships, only 2 salesman respected our emails and communication. Then we eventually visited one of them and the salesman was very nice and we test drove the car and all that.

Eventually, we did the same thing hunting the entire state for a Toyota Dealership that had on inventory, current or coming in, exactly what we were looking for. Out of 8 Toyota Dealerships, 3 salesman did internet deals via email. We followed up with one locally and the salesman was respectful and we ended up just a tad under the other dealerships without having to travel farther.

Ended up with a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Premium, etc. for a very fair price.

Salesman need to talk to you on the phone to convince you to come to their dealership and talk to them in person. Once there in their lair, presence, then you can be better sold helped.

Suggest: persist in a no compromise buying on your terms as you are comfortable. It's your money.

For us: it's strictly business by the numbers. We can do "face to face" at the proper time down the line. But, for us, there's no sense going through anything that's not needed or all those things. When we do talk to a salesman, then that's great and part of that stage of the buying process.

Car buying "boglehead style".
This is the "way".

Suggest reading the outstanding car buying thread by "denovo". Search for it.
j :D
You've been watching Mandalorian again on Disney Plus I'm guessing

Happy New year J

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
hnd

Post by hnd »

we recently did some work at a car dealership with a number of locations. I had to visit them all. There are a zillion reasons why they want to talk to you on the phone.

But the one reason I think that has been missed here the most is hunt and peck.

While at these dealerships, all the sales people are sitting at their little tiny desks out in the open. I would say 80% of them were hunt and pecking on their keyboards. Nothing against people who can't type but the reality is that for them to type what i'm typing now would take probably a half hour! or 2 minutes on the phone.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

Sales 101. Get customers talking. It's been proving over time that more sales happen.

Sure that doesn't work for all of us. Some of us prefer simple emails. I do as well.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

When I bought my 2012 F-150 new I handled everything over the internet. Seemed to go very well. We showed up to finalize the sale and they said I couldn't have the truck we agreed upon, but to pick another. In hindsight they probably felt they were taking advantage of me somehow (or found a better buyer for the original truck we agreed upon) but I chose a truck that gave me more than I had asked for on the first one, a better color, and for the same price. Very pleased and the truck is running well eight years later.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If I was a car salesperson, I'd rather talk to a live person on the phone than sift through 100s of emails from people that may or may not be serious about buying a car. 11 of the 12 people will have wasted their time on your emails. I know it is part of the job.

Time is money.

If you can do it via email, great. Dealing with 12 car dealerships to save $500, great.

Your time and effort is money too. Find a middle ground. Car salespersons need to eat too. :D
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

theplayer11 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 am

times are changing. If dealers don't realize that many buyers don't want to come in to the dealership, talk to a salesperson when it can all be done by email. There are people who know exactly what they want and email is all they need. Hard to believe people still go to a dealership, sit at a desk as a salesperson runs back and forth between you and his manager. Ridiculous.
Sales is still sales. More buyers buy when they come on the lot.
For large purchases like cars people like to see it, drive it, smell it etc. The salesman knows he will make more money with people coming to the dealership than banging out emails all day.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am Car salespersons need to eat too. :D
The problem is that sometimes what they eat is YOUR lunch! :shock: :wink:
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 am
bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am Car salespersons need to eat too. :D
The problem is that sometimes what they eat is YOUR lunch! :shock: :wink:
I've bought many cars. I've wanted every one. The salesperson wanted to sell every one.

I never agonized over $300 or $500 on any of the purchases. Life is too short. It is just a car.

If I paid $500 more than a car 50 miles north of here, that salesman should go to lunch on me. :beer
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 pm What do they hope to gain from speaking with me?
It is pretty simple. If they can get you on the phone, they sell more cars. They are trained to talk you into a sale and are pretty good at it. Email creates a barrier where they cannot asses your personality to sweet talk you.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 pm I would imagine it takes less time and energy to send a short email than BS on a 10 minute phone call. What do they hope to gain from speaking with me?
They might know about other offers that you should consider
They might want to help make sure that the car you are considering is really a good fit for you which can be determined through conversation
They might want to sell you a different car with higher profit for them or their dealership.

Many of us have experienced saving time by using a 10 min. phone call over a series of emails. If you are dealing with several dealers, then this may not be true.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

It seems like the "email everyone within 200 miles" approach isn't working anymore because many or most dealerships are not responding. Maybe because they are disinclined to spend the effort if the probability of a sale is low. Maybe because...it could be a competitor, sussing out what the competition is willing to sell for??

It seems to me that showing a level of seriousness- either with a visit or a phone call...is probably necessary to be taken seriously.

I did this recently. One dealership never followed up because I wanted a model not on the lot. Another one eventually did find a suitable vehicle, and we settled on a deal with a mix of phone calls and email.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

They want to talk to you to gauge their interest. You would be surprised at how many flaky people there are online.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:29 pm It seems like the "email everyone within 200 miles" approach isn't working anymore because many or most dealerships are not responding. Maybe because they are disinclined to spend the effort if the probability of a sale is low. Maybe because...it could be a competitor, sussing out what the competition is willing to sell for??

Because dealerships don't want to waste their time sending you a quote, when you're just going to cross-shop them and will go to a competitor for $50. Save their time by going to their competitor first.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:40 am
theplayer11 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 am

Sales is still sales. More buyers buy when they come on the lot.
For large purchases like cars people like to see it, drive it, smell it etc. The salesman knows he will make more money with people coming to the dealership than banging out emails all day.
that’s why dealers should have a good internet sales person.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Anything that works is good technique. You are in the drivers seat as you can do it your way. If a salesperson becomes offended, I disregard and refocus on what I want....an OTD price on a specific model. Do it your way. I like the phone. I think that salespeople like to talk to you to see if you are a serious buyer and not somebody from a far off country.

I prefer to make contact using the phone first. I've already done my homework and know exactly what I want. I know that they have a vehicle or vehicles on their lot that I want. I'll call and ask for an OTD price on that vehicle or the equivalent. I tell them that I'm a serious buyer that's going to buy in say 2 days. If they agree to give me an OTD price, I exchange any contact info that they want: email, phone, text, etc. I get their information also. I also want a backup person in case they won't be available at any time over the next 2 days.
I'm a very polite stubborn. I won't come into the dealership. I won't share any info about other quotes. If they don't give me an OTD price, I thank them nicely and move on. There are lots of dealers. You could use the same method with email. I like the phone because I get immediate feedback and I can have a deal in 2 days or less.

There's a good car buying discussion started by DENOVO that you might want to read?
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Brief update:

After emailing about a dozen dealerships, I got itemized emailed quotes from 3 of them. The other dealers emailed or contacted me in some way, but never gave an actual price. One of the offers was lower than the other two and better than I expected based on what I have read and researched.

I went back to my local dealership (one of the higher offers), and they were willing to match the lowest offer. So I put a deposit on the car (it will need to be built).

TL;DR Email worked
wilked

Post by wilked »

coalcracker wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 pm Brief update:

After emailing about a dozen dealerships, I got itemized emailed quotes from 3 of them. The other dealers emailed or contacted me in some way, but never gave an actual price. One of the offers was lower than the other two and better than I expected based on what I have read and researched.

I went back to my local dealership (one of the higher offers), and they were willing to match the lowest offer. So I put a deposit on the car (it will need to be built).

TL;DR Email worked
Getting a 25% return rate is an example of it working?
pennylane

Post by pennylane »

Because they want to qualify you for any incentives you might qualify for to give themselves the best chance of selling you a car. Their day usually consists of 11 hours of trying to make something out of nothing.

Get on the phone, make a deal and move on. Why do people insist on making everything difficult. You’re buying a car, not a plot of land in Jupiter.
wilked

Post by wilked »

pennylane wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 am Because they want to qualify you for any incentives you might qualify for to give themselves the best chance of selling you a car. Their day usually consists of 11 hours of trying to make something out of nothing.

Get on the phone, make a deal and move on. Why do people insist on making everything difficult. You’re buying a car, not a plot of land in Jupiter.
Other than a house, which is a whole nother topic, it’s the one thing that most people buy that costs > $1000. It is definitely a unique purchase, to pretend otherwise is ignoring reality
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

wilked wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:02 am Other than a house, which is a whole nother topic, it’s the one thing that most people buy that costs > $1000. It is definitely a unique purchase, to pretend otherwise is ignoring reality

People hem and haw about extracting every penny out of a deal. If somebody 750 miles away pays $200 less, I think some on here would be very upset.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Helo80 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:10 am
wilked wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:02 am Other than a house, which is a whole nother topic, it’s the one thing that most people buy that costs > $1000. It is definitely a unique purchase, to pretend otherwise is ignoring reality

People hem and haw about extracting every penny out of a deal. If somebody 750 miles away pays $200 less, I think some on here would be very upset.
Good point! I see what you mean
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

Dealerships now make more money in the finance office than they do the sales floor. Meaning the finance charge, GAP insurance, warranties, are more profitable than the actual vehicles themselves.

I knew this going into buying my wife's van so I knew there'd be little room for negotiating since we were paying cash. I too, contacted a number of dealerships online but it was only to value our trade. I didn't waste my time trying to negotiate price. If you're not financing, they're not interested. Ended up driving a couple hundred miles to get the van, but only because there was such a limited supply of the 2-3 y/o Toyota Siennas that we were shopping for.

I agree with other posters who have mentioned your time would be better spent somewhere else than beating up a bunch of dealerships against each other to save $500.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

lessismore22 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 am Dealerships now make more money in the finance office than they do the sales floor. Meaning the finance charge, GAP insurance, warranties, are more profitable than the actual vehicles themselves.

I knew this going into buying my wife's van so I knew there'd be little room for negotiating since we were paying cash. I too, contacted a number of dealerships online but it was only to value our trade. I didn't waste my time trying to negotiate price. If you're not financing, they're not interested. Ended up driving a couple hundred miles to get the van, but only because there was such a limited supply of the 2-3 y/o Toyota Siennas that we were shopping for.

I agree with other posters who have mentioned your time would be better spent somewhere else than beating up a bunch of dealerships against each other to save $500.
Why would you tell the dealership you're paying cash until the very last minute? Absolutely haggle on price as much as you can. If they want to know how you'll be paying for the purchase, a simple "I'm not entirely sure" or "it depends on what financing rate you can offer me" will suffice.