USPS is incredibly fast!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
livesoft

USPS is incredibly fast!

Post by livesoft »

I put a check for local taxes in my mailbox on Saturday afternoon and already Tuesday morning the check has already cleared my checking account!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
UpperNwGuy

Re: USPS is incredibly fast!

Post by UpperNwGuy »

It appears USPS is finally clearing out their holiday backlog. Three holiday cards I mailed to family on December 14 arrived yesterday 250 miles away.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I’ve had varied service lately. Some letters get here quickly, but I’ve had Priority Mail take stunning amounts of time (2 weeks from Hawaii for some coffee shipped Priority, for example).

All in all, USPS is a bargain, with occasional misses.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Finally! Three weeks for several packages sent November 30th USPS Priority Mail!
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

This has always been my experience, a local letter shouldn't take more than 1-2 days.
Around Christmas even it shouldn't be an issue, and I had a letter processed locally quickly in the mad Christmas rush.
Once mail has to be transferred to another PO then all bets are off.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

A bill that I get each month on the 23rd never arrived. First time that's happened.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Let private carriers deliver letters and junk mail and charge whatever they can get. Then make the USPS a private carrier. We'll see what happens. Maybe livesoft would submit his payment electronically next time because sending a piece of paper across states costs $9.95, with the right coupon of course.
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I could have sbmitted electronically this time, but I would have been charged much more than the cost of a stamp for that privilege, so i didn't do it electronically. :twisted: I could have also just delivered the check in person, but that gasoline used would have cost more than the stamp, too. BTW, envelope provided with the bill by the taxing entity, so I didn't have to pay for an envelope. :)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Though it was a mess for a while, they have done a good job getting caught up over the last week or so. Most things seem to be shipping on time right now.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Not really saying much at this point. USPS choked when it counted.
TT

Post by TT »

My recent experiences have been mixed with some packages arriving in a timely manner and others extremely slow. One parcel took 31 days to go 225 miles :oops: and another mailed at the same time took 6 days to go 2800 miles.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
RJC

Post by RJC »

Not in Georgia right now!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:12 am I could have sbmitted electronically this time, but I would have been charged much more than the cost of a stamp for that privilege, so i didn't do it electronically. :twisted: I could have also just delivered the check in person, but that gasoline used would have cost more than the stamp, too. BTW, envelope provided with the bill by the taxing entity, so I didn't have to pay for an envelope. :)
I am planning to walk over to Town Hall this week (2.6 miles each way, so 5.2 miles round trip) to drop off my property tax payment in person (through their designated outdoor dropslot). I could pay online at a net cost of 22.5 bp (convenience fee is 2.85% and my BoA rewards card gives me 2.625% cash back) but I am currently doing a virtual hike of the Camino de Santiago so I might as well get some of my miles in while paying my taxes.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

State Farm Bank is transferring HELOC servicing to a new company. The new company says they sent me a “welcome packet” about Dec 10.

I got a survey last week from the new company saying “how was our transfer of your loan”. I called them and said “what transfer”?

Almost one month in, and the “welcome packet” still hasn’t arrived.

At least the USPS isn’t charging storage fees for the massive backlog of mail they must have.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
goaties

Post by goaties »

I have a friend who lives in small-town NH and can get the inside scoop on the latest vagaries of the postal service from the postmaster there (unlike me, in the "big" city, where the post people don't spend any time chatting). She says the closest regional hub has been slammed with Covid cases, lots of people are out sick or quarantining, and that has accounted for delays and mistakes for several months now. It will be a while yet before things get back to normal.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

RJC wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:28 am Not in Georgia right now!
Yep. Received one item yesterday that was postmarked Dec 10. A number of others shipped prior to Dec 15 still have not arrived. On the other hand, also received yesterday a letter that was postmarked Jan 2. So they may be delivering recently mailed items earlier and taking their time with packages and letters that have been stacked up for weeks....no "first in, first out" for the USPS.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Just received some packages last night that my brother evidently mailed a couple weeks before Christmas. I hope the pipes of the USPS are now clean again.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Then there is FedEx. I ordered a new Macbook Pro from Amazon on Dec 29. I was happy to see tracking info indicating that it arrived at a nearby FedEx facility (less than 5 miles away) by 7:14 am on Thurs Dec 31. It apparently sat there until it went out on a truck four days later and arrived yesterday afternoon (Mon Jan 3).

The frustrating thing was that several other less urgent Amazon orders arrived at the local facility on Saturday and Sunday and were delivered to me the same day they arrived at the local facility.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:12 am I could have sbmitted electronically this time, but I would have been charged much more than the cost of a stamp for that privilege, so i didn't do it electronically. :twisted: I could have also just delivered the check in person, but that gasoline used would have cost more than the stamp, too. BTW, envelope provided with the bill by the taxing entity, so I didn't have to pay for an envelope. :)
Your bank doesn’t let you automatically send checks through the mail? Then you save the cost of the stamp and the check. Not to mention your time to write out the check, return address on the envelope, and walk the letter to your mailbox (uphill both ways in the snow).
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
sport

Post by sport »

These posts about paying local taxes make me appreciate the system my county has set up. They have partnered with one of the big banks to provide electronic payment with no fees. I just go to the county web site, find my bill, select electronic payment, enter my bank account information and the amount I want to pay. I get a receipt on the spot and an email confirmation. The money comes out of my account a day or two later. They also offer credit card payment, but there is a "convenience fee" for doing it that way.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

It's the IRS being fast as much as the post office. The one time I notice the IRS is highly efficient is processing payments.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I had to quit Rx by mail and now ordering only through local drugstore.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sport wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:03 am These posts about paying local taxes make me appreciate the system my county has set up. ..., but there is a "convenience fee" for doing it that way.
Yep, we have a convenience fee for cash from checking for the same kind of thing. If there had not been a convenience fee, then I would have done it like you do.
BL

Post by BL »

Still waiting on a Priority Mail package sent about a month ago about 1000 miles away. Normally I would have only good things to say about the USPS.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

An online order was USPS mailed Dec 6. It got delivered Jan 4. It was in a padded envelope, not a huge box. It sat most of that time in a single distribution hub in Tn.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Still waiting for a check to arrive from someone 30 miles away - dropped in the mail early December.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Swansea wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:59 am A bill that I get each month on the 23rd never arrived. First time that's happened.
Back when I bought my first car, fresh out of college, the check to the loan company got lost in the mail in December. They were somewhat surprised that I called them to ask why the check hadn't cleared yet, so they waived the late fees and helped me set up auto-pay for the account. So it happens from time to time.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

USPS is a failure.

Two months ago, a bill failed to arrive. Late charge!

I got a bill yesterday that was postmarked December 10. It was past due.

Our Christmas cards have been in transit for almost two months.

I sent a letter for work to an address in the same zip code and almost 3 weeks later there is no sign of it.

We had a legal notice at work take 25 days to arrive.

USPS is a failure.

JT
beyou

Post by beyou »

I just had a vendor deposit a check I mailed a month ago.
He kept pinging me with late notices, but it was the USPS.
“Check is in the mail” is finally a valid excuse for late payments ;-)
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

bottlecap wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:57 pm
USPS is a failure.
It's a brand-new one, though. I've always had near-flawless service until late this part year. It was the envy of the world until late last year.

One bad quarter and you sell all your "loser" stocks and grouse about the market? :D I thought so.
Last edited by Pandemic Bangs on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
aarondearu

Post by aarondearu »

Thumbs up for USPS. I mailed cards all over the US on Dec 28 and they've all been received.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I sent something to Chicago on December 7th and it still hasn’t arrived. Packages I mailed to New York the same day arrived in three days.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Pandemic Bangs wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 am
USPS is a failure.
I's a brand-new one, though. I've always had near-flawless service until late this part year. It was the envy of the world until late last year.

One bad quarter and you sell all your "loser" stocks and grouse about the market? :D I thought so.
Yes! If you can't depend on it, I'm done with it for anything that has any importance.

Even "flawless" (which it never was) service in exchange for $55+ billion in losses over the last 8 years doesn't seem like stellar service.

But I guess the post office has fans at any cost! :wink:

JT
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Just got a couple cards postmarked Dec 5 that had gift cards inside. I can make my peace with slow first class mail under the circumstances. It's "2 day Priority Mail" that takes more than 10 days that was really irritating. I mean they weren't even CLOSE on the times for a while there, as UPS and FedEx continued to be more or less on time.

There must have been a LOT of Etsy and Ebay sellers who got hosed by Priority Mail delays of holiday gifts, either by refunding sellers or the unfair bad seller reviews.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

Yesterday we received a Christmas card postmarked Dec 10.
My kids are still looking for packages from their aunt that are still stuck at the post office.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Based on Informed Delivery, we expect a package to arrive today that was shipped back on 12/14. It's travelled about 590 miles in the past 23 days. That averages about 1 mph, not allowing for rest stops. More like "incredibly slow" :wink:
egrets

Post by egrets »

I haven't read all the replies but keep in mind the USPS is still gutted. The mail sorting machines removed have not been returned, the big blue mailboxes removed have not been returned, overtime is still not allowed. I hope this is fixed and other positive changes made soon.
egrets

Post by egrets »

bottlecap wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:52 am
USPS is a failure.
I's a brand-new one, though. I've always had near-flawless service until late this part year. It was the envy of the world until late last year.

Yes! If you can't depend on it, I'm done with it for anything that has any importance.

Even "flawless" (which it never was) service in exchange for $55+ billion in losses over the last 8 years doesn't seem like stellar service.

But I guess the post office has fans at any cost! :wink:

JT

Keep in mind it's hamstrung by that vicious law that requires it to have 75 years of retirement benefits set aside. As to my packages USPS has never failed to deliver them to my house. With FedEx and UPS, it's a crap shoot as to where they wind up.
egrets

Post by egrets »

USPS is a failure.

That's about when some mail sorting machines were removed, overtime was prohbited, the big blue mailboxes were removed.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 am I put a check for local taxes in my mailbox on Saturday afternoon and already Tuesday morning the check has already cleared my checking account!
As it's said, my mileage varies from yours. I've got many examples in the Nov - Dec 2020 time frame of very late mail and packages. I'll mention one.

This one will cost me slightly less than $1000 in federal tax at my bracket since WF issued their 1098s today w/o the payment I wanted in 2020.

I billpay my Wells Fargo mortgage from my Fidelity CMA account. It's on recurring auto-payment and has worked for >5 years. I pay (to be rec'd by Payee) on the 30th of the month for the payment due the next month, e.g., Dec 30, 2020 for the payment due 1/1/21.

Today's the 6th. Wells has received nothing; Fidelity shows it as "outstanding". With payments to Wells, Fidelity sends a paper check. Fidelity suggests its a USPS problem due to covid and the holidays.

So pay date is 12/30, not received by the 6th.

I also spent over an hour on the phone with Fido and WF. There's more FU (follow-up) to come to complete my "homework". The payment is late after the 18th.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

heartwood wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 am
livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 am I put a check for local taxes in my mailbox on Saturday afternoon and already Tuesday morning the check has already cleared my checking account!
As it's said, my mileage varies from yours. I've got many examples in the Nov - Dec 2020 time frame of very late mail and packages. I'll mention one.

This one will cost me slightly less than $1000 in federal tax at my bracket since WF issued their 1098s today w/o the payment I wanted in 2020.

I billpay my Wells Fargo mortgage from my Fidelity CMA account. It's on recurring auto-payment and has worked for >5 years. I pay (to be rec'd by Payee) on the 30th of the month for the payment due the next month, e.g., Dec 30, 2020 for the payment due 1/1/21.

Today's the 6th. Wells has received nothing; Fidelity shows it as "outstanding". With payments to Wells, Fidelity sends a paper check. Fidelity suggests its a USPS problem due to covid and the holidays.

I also spent over an hour on the phone with Fido and WF. There's more FU (follow-up) to come to complete my "homework". The payment is late after the 18th.
Do you think this will reverse for your 2021 taxes? Maybe you’ll have 13 interest payments credited this year?

Still, even if this happens, you’ll lose the use of $1000 for a year.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 am
heartwood wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 am

Do you think this will reverse for your 2021 taxes? Maybe you’ll have 13 interest payments credited this year?

Still, even if this happens, you’ll lose the use of $1000 for a year.
I'll stick with 12 payments. I'll change the Pay On dates going forward to the first of the month when actually due. I see no benefit to us to pay more against the mortgage. The early payments, before the 1st, were an artifact of starting a mortgage in Nov several years ago and initially trying to get an extra deduction that first partial year.

Going back to the OP, glad that your USPS works. Mine usually has, unless it didn't. In these days of no/low interest on bank funds, I'll pay early. I've been schooled.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

We are experiencing slow service from USPS. A card sent three weeks ago SD to CLE has still not arrived.
vveat

Post by vveat »

I am enjoying the tracking trail for a package that I expected yesterday (shipped in late December). The day before yesterday it arrived at my town post office, but an hour later it moved to the post office in the adjacent town, then in another hour to the "USPS facility" of that town. It sat there for a day, and then today in the morning it unexpectedly departed for a "regional destination facility" an hour away.

Slow pace I have come to expect, but moving it back and forth? I am terribly curious where it will head next :sharebeer
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

vveat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:12 pmSlow pace I have come to expect, but moving it back and forth? I am terribly curious where it will head next :sharebeer
I wouldn't trust what you are looking at. The package probably went nowhere. Let me spread a conspiracy theory: The hack of US infrastructure by the Russians is all part of this. There is a new video game played by kids in Russia that allows them to virtually move USPS packages around in silico.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I received a Christmas card from my sister-in-law yesterday. She lives 3 miles from me.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

egrets wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:20 am Keep in mind it's hamstrung by that vicious law that requires it to have 75 years of retirement benefits set aside. As to my packages USPS has never failed to deliver them to my house. With FedEx and UPS, it's a crap shoot as to where they wind up.
Then there's OnTrac, masters of the drop and dash delivery method. Good thing I have a video doorbell, because they rarely actually ring the doorbell or knock when they deliver a package. The one earlier this week literally dashed down my sidewalk back to the vehicle to make the next delivery.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Christmas gifts sent on the 14th of December to my brother still haven't been delivered. Stuck at one USPS center for more than a week as part of the process. Even normal letters don't seem to be coming as they should. Though my stuff is anecdotal I am not sure how one locally mailed item is indicative of anything either (especially given widespread reporting of major delays).
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Conditions are still bad! Christmas card postmarked in Trenton, NJ on December 16th was delivered today (January 6th) in Nashville, TN. Address was perfect and USPS coding/scanning on bottom of front side was not damaged in any way. :confused
Tom D.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

A check I had my bank send was sent on Dec. 9th and still hasn't arrived. Horrible.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi