Any multimillionaire's (more than 2mm) out there still mow their own lawn?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
alpenglow

Re: Any multimillionaire's (more than 2mm) out there still mow their own lawn?

Post by alpenglow »

Toons wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm Eat lots of rice and beans
Cut the grass
Wash the cars,and wax monthly
Sealcoat the driveway
cut down trees.
Paint the house
Powerwash the house
Minor home repairs
blow leaves out of the gutters,,,20 feet up
I will stop listing now,,,,
LOL

:wink: :mrgreen:
I got an unsolicited estimate from a sealcoat guy that did my neighbor's property. The quote for the job was less than my materials and the work looked good. It is one of the few jobs I won't do myself next time.

EDIT: +1 for rice and beans. Delicious, healthy, and cheap.
Toons

Post by Toons »

alpenglow wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 pm
Toons wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm Eat lots of rice and beans
Cut the grass
Wash the cars,and wax monthly
Sealcoat the driveway
cut down trees.
Paint the house
Powerwash the house
Minor home repairs
I will stop listing now,,,,
LOL

:wink: :mrgreen:
I got an unsolicited estimate from a sealcoat guy that did my neighbor's property. The quote for the job was less than my materials and the work looked good. It is one of the few jobs I won't do myself next time.

EDIT: +1 for rice and beans. Delicious, healthy, and cheap.

:wink: :wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:11 am
livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm
H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:28 pm... Maybe we should judge how much millionaires can deadlift or squat.
Or how many still cook their own food? Or clean their own bathrooms? Or vacuum their own rugs? Or do their own grocery shopping? Or brush their own teeth? Or do their own laundry?
I haven't done my own grocery shopping since COVID. I can't imagine ever going back to doing it myself...grocery delivery is the nuts.
Same here. Life is short, every little joy counts.
GCD

Post by GCD »

New Providence wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:03 pm
H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:28 pm... Maybe we should judge how much millionaires can deadlift or squat.
Or how many still cook their own food? Or clean their own bathrooms? Or vacuum their own rugs? Or do their own grocery shopping? Or brush their own teeth? Or do their own laundry?
I haven't done my own grocery shopping since COVID. I can't imagine ever going back to doing it myself...grocery delivery is the nuts.
There's a certain joy to eating vegetables, fruit and meat that I picked out myself. As opposed to a 16 year old boy making minimum wage... :wink:
Quest80

Post by Quest80 »

I mow my lawn. I like gardening/landscaping and have a small yard so it's no big deal. But the reason I'm really posting is that I had a big success yesterday. My fridge (20 year old GE Profile side-by-side) wasn't cooling properly. I diagnosed the problem (Google search), ordered the part from Amazon (condenser fan motor), and removed and replaced it. Pretty much every repair job I ever attempt goes awry, so I'm pretty excited about my success. My wife was impressed!
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 pm
crinkles2 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:03 pm I have started doing my own oil changes again... dealer wants $300-$400 for a minor service... I consider that much more efficient to do myself than lawn mowing.
What kind of car do you have? I pay about 250 every 10K and that is for a LandCruiser which they pick up and deliver me a loaner, do the service as required, wash and detail it and rotate the tires and all the little stuff that I never remember to do like filters, etc...I think I am getting taken care of ok?
That sounds reasonable for yours.

I have a V6 Camry (2017). Spark plugs are coming up too, they literally wanted an ADDITIONAL > $400 for that (admittedly a big job as they need to disassemble a ton of stuff to get to the rear bank of the spark plugs on the V6). Not sure if I am capable of disassembling everything and putting it back together but theoretically plugs are simple to change. Trying to build some confidence...
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Quest80 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 pm I mow my lawn. I like gardening/landscaping and have a small yard so it's no big deal. But the reason I'm really posting is that I had a big success yesterday. My fridge (20 year old GE Profile side-by-side) wasn't cooling properly. I diagnosed the problem (Google search), ordered the part from Amazon (condenser fan motor), and removed and replaced it. Pretty much every repair job I ever attempt goes awry, so I'm pretty excited about my success. My wife was impressed!
Congrats! That’s amazing. Probably saved yourself $1500 by not having to buy a new fridge!
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Quest80 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 pm I mow my lawn. I like gardening/landscaping and have a small yard so it's no big deal. But the reason I'm really posting is that I had a big success yesterday. My fridge (20 year old GE Profile side-by-side) wasn't cooling properly. I diagnosed the problem (Google search), ordered the part from Amazon (condenser fan motor), and removed and replaced it. Pretty much every repair job I ever attempt goes awry, so I'm pretty excited about my success. My wife was impressed!
That is a good feeling Quest.

Love this thread and the fun responses. Mow my lawn with a push mower, and can listen to tunes or podcast cranked up. Usually skip the walk on lawn day. Besides the exercise, there is something fulfilling about starting and finishing a project in the same day. I just like that feeling.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Yes. Mow my own lawn. Hate doing it. Very close to 8 figures NW. On the discou t fridge angle, we bought a chest freezer and used a temperature regulator that shuts off power based on temp using a probe to keep ithe freezer at whatever temperature we want (originally for home winemaking use, but handy with Covid to now avoid trips to Costco and grocery, and fridge was full, have a stand alone freezer too).
New Providence wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:03 pm
My wife would never trust others to pick fresh produce, so to the local sourced produce market we must brave, sadly. Still it is a unique grocery with better produce direct from farms at half the price, so worth...amazing how much longer onions, kale, mushrooms and bell peppers that were stored properly last, vs sitting almost frozen in a truck/warehouse for big box grocery.
texasgal47

Post by texasgal47 »

Seventy three year old widow here who financially exceeds the portfolio criteria presented by the original poster. Since my husband died in 2004, I have been mowing my own lawn and hate it due to our hot mucky summers on the Gulf coast. My father did his own yard work, including mowing, until his decline at age 96. He is my role model. It is my belief that his active lifestyle was part of his secret to longevity, use it or lose it. Why should I pay a gym when maintaining a yard keeps me limber and mobile? Also, other regular exercise is part of my routine.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Mow lawn, shovel snow, clean house. I did stop working on our cars about 4 years ago.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Our solution:
Xeriscape

New build. We probably spent more on it than a lifetime of lawn cutting, but we no longer own a lawn mower!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:28 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:03 pm
striker79 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:54 pm People with millions are using their time to do whatever they like. I enjoy mowing my small lawn, its relaxing and good exercise, and I like being outdoors. Not everyone hates mowing the lawn. People will pay a personal trainer to train them at a gym, those same people don't want to do any yardwork because its too much for them. How about saving yourself a personal trainer session and do the yardwork instead?
Excellent. We’ve reached a point where many people don’t know how to exercise w/o being told how. (I’m typing this from by home gym where all of the equipment except for the elliptical and treadmill were bought used on Craigslist)

Oh, and I do all of my own yard work, too.
And I'm in the middle of deadlifting at the gym. I'm in heavy weight, fewer rep phase this month. I thought multi millionaires shouldn't judge how other people would spend their time and money. But here we are. Maybe we should judge how much millionaires can deadlift or squat.
There’s a challenge I like! We’re above $2m and I can now squat and DL more than ever, in the 400s. Started off as a distance runner, so it took till I was 50 to hit this point though. (Full disclosure: I don’t have a lawn.)
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

8 figures, but still do a lot of stuff myself. That said, I live in a country where labor is extremely cheap, so I have a maid, driver, and outsource a lot of stuff.

No lawn to mow, but I do the grocery shopping for my wife (she doesn't trust delivery). When I was back in the states I did all of the car repair, cleaning, and other household chores.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

A lot of data here! What have we learned?! I suggest someone other than me write a dissertation titled something like:

The Relationship between Lawn Mowing, Wealth, and Environmental Connectivity. A Study of Personal Preferences Regarding Yard Work.

Imagine the graphs!
enebyberg

Post by enebyberg »

I cut the grass. DW does the gardening (and that is a lot of work). Kids help with the snow.
chw

Post by chw »

I just started mowing again this past fall- was spending more time at home with the pandemic, so took that job back! I did ditch the old Honda gas self propelled mower for a whisper quiet Kobalt battery powered mower (scored a 60% off end of season sale). I was quite impressed with how well it operated, and the battery charge held up just fine for our 1/2 acre lot. No more gas fumes, oil changes, or pull cords! Just occasional blade sharpening for maintenance.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

That's the best feeling. I had a recent success with our heating system. It was working intermittently and after checking a number of possibilities, I decided the sequencing relay was bad. $35 repair and we're warm again! Like you, not everything goes smoothly, but I think it is always worth taking a shot as long as it can be done safely. I've learned a lot as a homeowner over the years and probably saved $1000's with DIY.
hudson

I used to do it all....

Post by hudson »

Net Worth: I take the 5th
Retired...age 73...
Do my own yardwork/garden? Yes, I do have a working relationship with a yard service person in case I can't do it.
Clean Gutters? yes
Change own oil? I did for 40 years. Now I hire out oil changes and tire rotations...once a year. I use 2 reliable and independent shops to take care of this.
Last edited by hudson on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

BogleFan510 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:42 pm My wife would never trust others to pick fresh produce, so to the local sourced produce market we must brave, sadly. Still it is a unique grocery with better produce direct from farms at half the price, so worth...amazing how much longer onions, kale, mushrooms and bell peppers that were stored properly last, vs sitting almost frozen in a truck/warehouse for big box grocery.
+1. We cook pretty much everything from scratch and can't imagine having someone pick fruit and veg for us. We often change our meal plans depending on what looks best that day. A week ago all of the kale looked awful but the chard looked great. Easy swap that I couldn't accomplish with a delivery order. Same with meat. Last time I was looking for a nice, dry-aged strip steak but they were meh so I went rib eye instead. Of course, some might argue that rib eye is always the right answer to begin with.
alpenglow

Re: I used to do it all....

Post by alpenglow »

hudson wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:35 am Net Worth: I take the 5th
Retired...age 73...
Do my own yardwork? Yes, I do have a working relationship with a yard service person in case I can't do it.
Clean Gutters? yes
Change own oil? I did for 40 years. Now I hire out oil changes and tires rotations...once a year.
We generally use Costco for tires which includes rotations, so why not have them do it?
hudson

Re: I used to do it all....

Post by hudson »

alpenglow wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:38 am
hudson wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:35 am Net Worth: I take the 5th
Retired...age 73...
Do my own yardwork? Yes, I do have a working relationship with a yard service person in case I can't do it.
Clean Gutters? yes
Change own oil? I did for 40 years. Now I hire out oil changes and tires rotations...once a year.
We generally use Costco for tires which includes rotations, so why not have them do it?
Good question! One of my shops rotates tires if I buy from him. I live out in the boonies; Costco is an hour a way through traffic. Both of my shops are 5 minutes...no traffic. I've known the owners of both since childhood.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

Yes. Of course in SF Bay Area I don't feel rich so I:

Cut my own hair
Now my own grass
Change my own oil
Change my own brakes
Tune my own bicycle
Remodel my own house
Make my own furniture

Old habits die hard.

My father and mother did all these things. I wouldn't feel right paying someone.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Why compare net worth to doing, or not doing yard work? Either you like doing yard work or you don't.

Personally I do all my outdoor landscaping and yard chores. I love gardening but am not fond of mowing. However I get to choose when to do them so I plan outdoor work for cool mornings/days. I even snow clear some of my neighbor's driveways to help them out as they are less able than I.

One day I will no longer be physically able to mow or remove snow, then I will pay for a younger back to pick up my slack.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I will definitely not be mowing my own lawn once I have the means to spend money on services like that. There isn't a worse feeling for me than mowing the lawn on a nice day, knowing that I could be hitting golf balls instead.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Regardless of my net worth, I do not mow my own lawn because I figured out it was better to hire someone who could do it better and faster than I could.

I also want to support a local business so as long as I can afford it, I'll hire the crew.
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

If you count private-company (monopoly money) equity, I am worth about double that and still mow my own lawn :sharebeer. Whenever I have $2M liquid I plan to do the same.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

dsmil wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 am I will definitely not be mowing my own lawn once I have the means to spend money on services like that. There isn't a worse feeling for me than mowing the lawn on a nice day, knowing that I could be hitting golf balls instead.
I find it amazing that this type of attitude is so rare here.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm
dsmil wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 am I will definitely not be mowing my own lawn once I have the means to spend money on services like that. There isn't a worse feeling for me than mowing the lawn on a nice day, knowing that I could be hitting golf balls instead.
Everybody is just different. There is no right or wrong here. Some people hire it out. Some people actually enjoy it.

And there is nothing magic about lawn mowing. I cut my own grass, but was happy to pay for a maid service. I enjoy a lot of home improvement stuff, but I’d hire some stuff out if I just wasn’t in the mood that day, etc.

But everybody should spend their money the way that makes the most sense for them. Some really value a sense of self sufficiency, and want to not depend on anybody else. And others want to hire everything out, and do something else with their time.....

There’s no wrong answer here.

But maybe it’s rare here, because this is forum of people who manage all their own finances. I.e. it’s a self selected group of people who are willing to take on things that some find too challenging. DIY inclined if you will. If this were a golfing forum, the tendency would probably be very different.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I think my parents are probably in that category. My dad mows the lawns at their house, at the farm (where my brother and his family now live, though my nephew might take that one over this summer), and at my brother's hog site/cattle lot. He's north of 60 now and is happy doing the work like that where he can more or less relax and listen to the radio for a few hours and leave the more physically demanding jobs to my brother.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

This hit me like a ton of bricks. Former 2 handicapper, now just handicapped (figuratively). If I were hitting balls at the range I'd be so frustrated at how bad I've become that mowing my yard would seem pleasant. 😀
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Normchad wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:42 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm
Everybody is just different. There is no right or wrong here. Some people hire it out. Some people actually enjoy it.

And there is nothing magic about lawn mowing. I cut my own grass, but was happy to pay for a maid service. I enjoy a lot of home improvement stuff, but I’d hire some stuff out if I just wasn’t in the mood that day, etc.

But everybody should spend their money the way that makes the most sense for them. Some really value a sense of self sufficiency, and want to not depend on anybody else. And others want to hire everything out, and do something else with their time.....

There’s no wrong answer here.

But maybe it’s rare here, because this is forum of people who manage all their own finances. I.e. it’s a self selected group of people who are willing to take on things that some find too challenging. DIY inclined if you will. If this were a golfing forum, the tendency would probably be very different.
I'm not saying there's a right or wrong. And certainly, if you enjoy mowing the lawn you should keep doing it. But I don't think I've ever met a person in real life who actually, truly, genuinely *likes* yardwork more than doing their actual hobbies. That's my only point. Once you have enough money to comfortably outsource stuff like mowing, you should at least consider doing just that, in order to prioritize your free time in the order of things you prefer/enjoy doing.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I enjoy mowing our 2 acres. Of course, having a 50" Toro zero turn helps make it fun. And so does being retired and having the time to do it when it needs it. I do the maintenance, too.

Moneywise, when I bought it in '16 for $3900 my soon-to-be wife had been paying $70 per mow for a hit and run. Prior to that she had been paying $100/mow. Figure 7 months of mowing per year and it adds up quickly.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

H-Town wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 pm
Carguy85 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm Is the person I hire going to take into account ....the angle of the stripes in relation to the house/barn as well as the way the sunlight reflects off the grass or the direction the grass discharges with relation to the lighter/darker stripes? How about the optimal cutting height for my particular grass...(optimal striping vs cleanly cutting)? Will their blades be razor sharp and will the deck be level? Will the alternate pattern be exactly perpendicular and will these patterns be followed every week to optimize striping. I suppose I’d rather save that person and myself the hassle of dealing with a client like me. :D
BTW I’m neither confirming nor denying a net worth.
I'm the opposite side of the spectrum. I could not care less about my lawn. Just try to keep my wife happy and keep HOA from sending pointless letters. If HOA would allow it, I'd fill up the yards with rocks.
I am in 100% agreement on the above. I would love a no maintenance rockscape.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

goldendad wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:04 am shovel snow
Toons wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm
cut down trees
Paint the house
I think being active is wonderful. To each his own, but I can not relate to those who pay for a gym and hire someone to mow the lawn.

However, please recognize your limits. Please recognize the risks of certain tasks. I have personally known someone who has died or been severely impaired by doing each of the above tasks on their own. We are not always good at recognizing our increased risk at falls, strokes and heart attacks as we age, especially if we are essentially active and healthy. Consider asking a friend or family member what they think about your plan at the age of 75 to paint your 2 1/2 story house using only an extension ladder. Or your plan to shovel after a 12 inches of a heavy, wet snow.

Stay active and stay safe!
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I cut back 12 6-foot rose bushes to shin level yesterday and hauled the trimmings around the house and across the yard and out into the woods.
Today I cut back a 10-foot tall x 5-foot diameter ornamental grass plant to ankle height and stuffed most of it in 8 green bags before hauling the leftovers to the woods.

It was 45 degrees F and gusty, and I'm 70, so I had a beer with lunch.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

crinkles2 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:29 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 pm
crinkles2 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:03 pm I have started doing my own oil changes again... dealer wants $300-$400 for a minor service... I consider that much more efficient to do myself than lawn mowing.
What kind of car do you have? I pay about 250 every 10K and that is for a LandCruiser which they pick up and deliver me a loaner, do the service as required, wash and detail it and rotate the tires and all the little stuff that I never remember to do like filters, etc...I think I am getting taken care of ok?
That sounds reasonable for yours.

I have a V6 Camry (2017). Spark plugs are coming up too, they literally wanted an ADDITIONAL > $400 for that (admittedly a big job as they need to disassemble a ton of stuff to get to the rear bank of the spark plugs on the V6). Not sure if I am capable of disassembling everything and putting it back together but theoretically plugs are simple to change. Trying to build some confidence...
As long as you dont strip a plug you should be fine...I bet that one in the back is interesting...LOL
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I didn't before retiring but now I do primarily for the activity but also so I can control bagging and use of the cut grass for mulching or composting.
Kruser64

Post by Kruser64 »

True wireless noise cancelling earbuds are a wonderful invention. Unlimited music on my phone still is an amazement to me (Spotify). I find that doing "chores" like mowing, shoveling, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, laundry, car washing, cooking, gym/exercise, etc, is really an opportunity to enjoy music. (Electric mower so mower is not that loud, and noise cancelling is amazing.) Some of my friends do similar with podcasts.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I am surprised nobody mentioned lawn mowing robots. I don't have one but hear they are pretty good for certain types of lawns.
Anyway lawn mowing is really easy for me: 3-4 times a year x30 minutes with an electrical (cord) mower. Yard work is much harder so we do not do it. It's natural. I like forests, meadows etc so I don't see why I would not like my own yard.
gips

Post by gips »

we were paying about $10k per year for mowing and landscaping for our two acre property. i retired about 7 years ago but this year we decided to do it ourselves for the first time in 30 years. i purchased an ego self propelled electric mower, edge cutter, blower and chain saw for about $1k. at $150 per cut the equip quickly paid for itself. the mower runs quietly and i listen to podcasts while cutting.

my wife bore the brunt of the work, planting and caring for our large gardens. luckily, she enjoyed being outside for hours everyday. i’m actually looking forward to mowing next spring.
4nursebee

Re: Only $1.9M, but, as poors, we make do

Post by 4nursebee »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:39 pm This a funny thread.

We (ages 72/63) used to have lawn service for our 1000 sqft lawn (on a 3000 sqft lot) for $10, but we decided the service quality was awful.
So, we decided to cut it ourselves.
But, our duplex neighbors (ages 63/63) wanted a service. So, we became the service.
Total time for mow, trim, blowing is 45 minutes. We also fertilize, trim grasses/shrubs, and mulch sporadically. Mulch and fertilizer (product, not labor) are extra charges.
Their $10/mowing has paid for: Ryobi tools, batteries, replacement batteries, replacement trimmer.
However, the $10 does not pay for the craft beer consumed after the laborious effort.
Win, win. So much wining.
I used to push a push mower up hill one half mile to get to a mowing job that took a long time to do, hated it!

Ended up buying a rental home that had a lawn mower, gave it to youngster in family to earn money with. I told him he should put out free fertilizer so they would have to pay him more often, don't think he ever did that.

This kind of a topic could just as well be do you still cook, shop, clean, drive, fly business class.
I expect one could even start a topic about at what point to you stop using TP (insert my original inappropriate phrase) as many here like talking about how important it is to have an electric outlet by the toilet. I am amused that a financial forum would have discussions about warmed water fluff and puff of ones backside. I wonder how many bidet owners mow their own lawn?
Pale Blue Dot
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"There isn't a worse feeling for me than mowing the lawn on a nice day, knowing that I could be hitting golf balls instead."

It doesn't take all day. I no longer play golf, but I can get up at 4 to go fishing and have the boat back in the garage later in the afternoon with plenty of time left to mow 2 acres before it gets dark. It takes me about 1.5 hours to mow and 30 minutes to scrape the deck and get cleaned up.

Or mow in the morning while it's cooler and then fish the late afternoon and into the evening.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

andypanda wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:38 am "There isn't a worse feeling for me than mowing the lawn on a nice day, knowing that I could be hitting golf balls instead."

It doesn't take all day. I no longer play golf, but I can get up at 4 to go fishing and have the boat back in the garage later in the afternoon with plenty of time left to mow 2 acres before it gets dark. It takes me about 1.5 hours to mow and 30 minutes to scrape the deck and get cleaned up.

Or mow in the morning while it's cooler and then fish the late afternoon and into the evening.
Sounds like you're either retired and/or don't have significant family commitments. Not all of us have unlimited time, so even if mowing doesn't take all day, time is still a limited quantity. If I spend time mowing it directly reduces the amount of time I have to spend on something fun.
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

How did I miss this thread? Yes, I am in that cohort and (at age 68) mow my own lawn, etc. DW has long urged me to give it up, but I think I do a better job with my small mower than the lawn guys do with their big riding mowers.
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

Just met that level in Nov. When it's time to mow again, I'll be the one doing it. Frugal habits are hard to break.
Carl Z
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

The grassy area of my lawn is quite small. It would probably be more of a hassle to pay somebody to do it than just do it myself, especially since the growing season is relatively short in the PNW.
Bogle7

Bidet toilet is awesome

Post by Bogle7 »

4nursebee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:16 amThis kind of a topic could just as well be do you still cook, shop, clean, drive, fly business class.
I expect one could even start a topic about at what point to you stop using TP (insert my original inappropriate phrase) as many here like talking about how important it is to have an electric outlet by the toilet. I am amused that a financial forum would have discussions about warmed water fluff and puff of ones backside. I wonder how many bidet owners mow their own lawn?
We own a Toto toilet with a washlet. Have had it for 1 year. Would not give it up.
We mow our lawn and our neighbors'.
We love to cook (very therapeutic) and seldom dine out (even pre-Covid).
My wife cleans because she thinks that Merry Maids did an inadequate job.
We are stepping up to first class because we have so many points.

P.S. We also have a Runtal Versus towel warmer in the master bath which we really enjoy.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

1) No. I don't mow my lawn. My 10 year old does it - I'm paying room and board after all.
2) I clean the bathrooms and do the vacuuming and floor cleaning. I actually like cleaning up the toilets :D . A good clean toilet is godly!!
3) Still fly coach except for > 17 hour trips where we can spring for business class
4) Wife and I split cooking - hardly any dining out in Covid times.

EDIT: Like KyleAAA, we are in the PNW so lawn mowing (or rather moss mowing) isn't much of an issue.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I mow the lawns on both our properties and have never paid someone to cut my lawn in almost 40 years of home ownership.

I actually enjoy mowing the river property with the cheapo Troy-Bilt riding mower I bought. I put on the noise blocking shooter headphones with some bluetooth earbuds inside them, put on Pandora, and go to town for an hour and a half in my own little music world.

We have a $3.3M net worth in a VLCOL area.
Last edited by beernutz on Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers