Any multimillionaire's (more than 2mm) out there still mow their own lawn?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
H-Town

Re: Any multimillionaire's (more than 2mm) out there still mow their own lawn?

Post by H-Town »

Carguy85 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm Is the person I hire going to take into account ....the angle of the stripes in relation to the house/barn as well as the way the sunlight reflects off the grass or the direction the grass discharges with relation to the lighter/darker stripes? How about the optimal cutting height for my particular grass...(optimal striping vs cleanly cutting)? Will their blades be razor sharp and will the deck be level? Will the alternate pattern be exactly perpendicular and will these patterns be followed every week to optimize striping. I suppose I’d rather save that person and myself the hassle of dealing with a client like me. :D
BTW I’m neither confirming nor denying a net worth.
I'm the opposite side of the spectrum. I could not care less about my lawn. Just try to keep my wife happy and keep HOA from sending pointless letters. If HOA would allow it, I'd fill up the yards with rocks.
London

Post by London »

I do it because I like it. It’s the only time of the week where everyone leaves me alone. Can’t hear the phone, can’t check email. I like the finished product and I like knowing every inch of the yard. You couldn’t pay me to have someone else do it.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

London wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:05 pm I do it because I like it. It’s the only time of the week where everyone leaves me alone. Can’t hear the phone, can’t check email. I like the finished product and I like knowing every inch of the yard. You couldn’t pay me to have someone else do it.
I liked the riding mower for those reasons as a teenager. I am much more sensitive to noise now. Maybe I could do an electric mower. If I actually had a lawn...
Northster

Post by Northster »

I think the missing element here is age. I was fine with mowing and shoveling up to age 70 or so, but now glad to pay for someone else to do the chores.
J295

Post by J295 »

Yes to lawn and snow removal (snow blower). Lawn will be the first to go. Snow removal is more fun.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I've never mowed the lawn even when I was pre-2mm poor. I prefer the digital world, not physical.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

I enjoy mowing and the sense of a job well-done. My job had me sitting in a chair all day, and the exercise from mowing is also welcome. I did outsource it when my kids were very little, and may in-source it to my kids when they're old enough.

The gasoline/noise/fumes/2-cycle oil were a bit of a pain, so I've switched to a cordless electric weed whacker, and use an electric push mower. My lawn is small, and very manageable with the (corded) electric mower. Besides having no oil changes, and volatile fuels, the electric mower is a lot lighter and requires less effort to push up the slope than my self-propelled craftsman used to require. The cord just means I need to use a bit more finesse in my mowing pattern.

Just because I can afford to have someone else do it doesn't mean I necessarily want someone else doing it. At least not right now when I can easily do it and enjoy doing so. That said, if you have the money and don't have the time or inclination, by all means spend it. In my case, for this task, I'd rather do it myself (and keep the cash for my ice cream habit!).
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

When we had our son, I took a pause on mowing for a year because I was up all night every night and basically a walking zombie every day. I was definitely going to get back to it after he started sleeping through the night. He will turn 14 later this year, and we still use the same landscaper. I sold my lawnmower (a very nice Toro Super Recycler with only a couple of seasons on it :) ) to my dad about 6-7 years ago. I don’t see myself ever mowing again, regardless of our net worth.

I do still clear snow (often times for houses not my own) and do the majority of our auto maintenance and repairs. So it’s not like I outsource everything. But the time I’d spend working on the yard isn’t worth the ~$400/year I spend never having to ever think about it.
Last edited by lazydavid on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Normchad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:39 pm Yes indeed I mow my own.

For me, this is the curse of Honda. MyHonda HRX is 21 years old and simply won’t stop. I have vowed that when it eventually quits, I won’t buy another mower and will hire it out.
Same, except I will buy another when it quits and I'll keep on mowing as long as I can walk.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

20 Acres of "Lawn".

DW mows 20 acres of wide open pasture stuff.
Takes her a long day, takes me a week, so DW does it in a long day.
John Deere. PTO mower by "King Kutter", mows 6 feet wide.
The "King Kutter" line of "brush hogs" have a great reputation for longevity and being trouble free. They are built heavier than some cheaper brands. This one is about 8 years old now and gets a lot of use through tough pasture grass.
I mow around fence lines, buildings, and everything else that needs mowing arounding.
Takes me a week at a few hours a day every other day or so, maybe longer.
Husqvarna with custom spring seat shock absorber thingy.

Consumer topic: get the best and most efficient machines to do a task if it is a DIY.
The John Deere tractor line is solid and trouble free, easy to fix, easy to get parts.
The Husquvarna Zero Turn is easy to get parts and that's good because it needs a lot of "fixin'". I'll try another brand when this one dies. But, they are pretty pricey as mowers go.
However, once using a Zero Turn Mower, I'd never go back to the other types.

DW and I are consumate DIY's and have fun with it (mostly). We do as much as we can as a lifestyle and hobby, etc.

****This is the song to sing while mowing:
"Green Acres Theme Song" (Green acres is the place to be. . . . . )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk

(undisclosed "net worth" above or below a million) :confused
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Not a multimillionaire, but I do mow my lawn. I hire out the lawn care (fertilizer, seeding, weeds, etc.) though. Use a service that comes 6-7 times a year.

Cutting the grass and weed-wacking is mindless and gets me out of the house. I can't be trusted not to kill the grass or keep it from becoming weed infested though.
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:41 pm Not even once. My husband does that.

The generations are getting softer. The new kids moving in (30 somethings with kids) hire a lawn service, the boomers mow their own.
I’m not sure the younger generation is softer. They just make different decisions. Theyd rather spend time hanging out with their kids and enjoying their Sunday. I think the younger generation of people has very different priorities.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

If our yard had a lawn, I’d mow it. But a lawn is a waste of water and time (IMHO). I do other yard work and maintenance (painted fence last year) and shovel my sidewalk and driveway.

When I visit my parents, I move their lawn. Otherwise my dad (mid-80s) does it.
wandering_aimlessly

Post by wandering_aimlessly »

Yup - passed that milestone several years ago (not sure why that one is any more significant than any other)....still mow my own lawn, no snow here to shovel but care for my own pool (currently replacing a pump motor), and do repairs around the house (currently doing significant deck repair), gearing up for some significant landscaping this spring - I don't think NW has anything to do with who does these tasks - if you enjoy them you do them yourself, if not you try to figure out at what minimum income point can you get someone else to do them for you...works well either way...
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

Mow yard and shovel snow. 4.75M.

bcc
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

I got tired of cutting the grass in 100 degrees heat with 100 percent humidity. Alabama summer is no joke. I just pay someone. He does my leafs in the winter too. Totally worth the money to me.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Yes, I still mow my own lawn plus 99% maintenance work around the house including roof and Christmas lights. Two story house.

Don't have to deal with snow right here in the Pacific NW
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
invest2bfree

Post by invest2bfree »

EdNorton wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 pm My net worth is slightly more than 2.5 million, not counting house. About $800k taxable, $400k Roth and balance in IRA's and TSP. Current withdrawal from our savings is about 1%. DW thinks I'm a cheap [implied vulgarity removed by Mod Misenplace], I think there's a lot of cheap [implied vulgarity removed by Mod Misenplace] on this board. What say you?
:sharebeer
I have $4.5 million net worth.

We live in a $350k house, I do dishes\mop\lawn care\snow removal and my wife cooks very day, we rarely eat out. Our annual expenses are just $70k a year Our kids go to public schools.
95% VT, 5% vgsh
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

I have relatives in that range who still shovel snow for the exercise. I find it kind of wild to be honest, but hey, whatever floats your Vanguard ship!
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

GCD wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm I still mow my own grass, but in deference to my multi-millionaire status I want to get one of these to "shovel" the drive: https://throwflame.com/products/flamethrower-drone-kit/

Lucky for me, my wife thinks it's a hysterical idea and supports it. I still can't bring myself to spend money on it though, because I'm cheap. Such is my curse. Lots of money, but psychologically I can't bring myself to spend it. :oops:

Well, there's always alcohol. Maybe I will make a drunk purchase. :beer
I'd end up burning down my house with that. :shock:
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Absolutely not. I’m now at two full years of no mowing, and no snow shoveling. $80 every two weeks for half an acre, plus I pay $280/mo for weekly maintenance at my aging parents’ house. Worth every penny, and my total personal expenses barely broke $40k for 2020. :beer
For entertainment purposes only.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

jfn111 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:56 pm
GCD wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm I still mow my own grass, but in deference to my multi-millionaire status I want to get one of these to "shovel" the drive: https://throwflame.com/products/flamethrower-drone-kit/

Lucky for me, my wife thinks it's a hysterical idea and supports it. I still can't bring myself to spend money on it though, because I'm cheap. Such is my curse. Lots of money, but psychologically I can't bring myself to spend it. :oops:

Well, there's always alcohol. Maybe I will make a drunk purchase. :beer
Forget the drone part. I didn’t know I could just order a flamethrower on the internet. That might make snow removal a lot more... fun. Says Napalm compatible - what local retailer would stock the fuel? :shock:
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Yep its good mandatory excercise. I bought a non self propelled mower just because it would be better excercise.
usagi

Post by usagi »

Cheapness, isn't really it, it has more to do with how I value things.

Lawn mowing with my push mower amounts to exercise, something I spend a lot of time doing. I generally walk 7-8 miles a day for exercise. Mowing my lawn means I walk an additional 1.6 miles and that is good for me.

I also value things in terms of alternatives. I could get my lawn mowed for $25 (that is what pay when I go out of town) but that amounts to 18 to 25 ice cold bottles of Mexican Pepsi or Mexican Coke (made with delicious can sugar). Or on the other hand I could buy a duck for dinner for that, or get a really good pizza from a fancy pizza place, or a nice piece of sockeye salmon, or two lbs of large shrimp to grill, or essentially eat 5 taco lunches for the same amount. or I can buy a lot of premium ice cream for that amount. When I look at it that way, I mow the lawn.

Moreover I avoid the liability exposure that having someone come on my property entails. This latter point is not a trivial thing.
Last edited by usagi on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GCD

Post by GCD »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 pm
jfn111 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:56 pm
Forget the drone part. I didn’t know I could just order a flamethrower on the internet. That might make snow removal a lot more... fun. Says Napalm compatible - what local retailer would stock the fuel? :shock:
In anticipation of no nearby local retailers, they conveniently supply a napalm mix! Apparently they expect you to home-brew it. What could go wrong?

https://throwflame.com/products/napalm- ... ng-agents/
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Although I don't have the same type of parentage as the OP, I do still cut my own grass. It's well over an acre, but I have a nice Deere to ride. 8-)

I find that my Scrooge McDuck laps through a pool of cash don't provide enough exercise and fresh air.
Last edited by tcassette on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windaar

Post by windaar »

(Not a multi millionaire) I tried a lawn service about 20 years and they did a terrible job - Went as fast as they could, did damage to the lawn, came every week (and charged) whether the lawn needed it or not. I enjoy mowing the lawn, good exercise, relaxing. And I can see what needs attention - thistles or deer droppings the kids might step in, spots that need seed, sticks to be picked up, etc.
Nobody knows nothing.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Yes, I mow my own lawn with a push mower. I have a blue collar job, so getting my hands dirty and getting sweat on my brow are no big deal to me. It can be a rewarding job and it is good exercise. I do have the opinion that some people would be better off financially if they paid someone else to mow their lawn, and spent the same amount of time educating themselves on this websites wiki page and the website humble dollar. A 2 million dollar portfolio can easily cost $25,000 a year in fees, commisions, and AUM charges at a full discount brokerage. A lawn mowing season of 25 hours spent on these two websites should give you enough education to handle your own personal finance and investments.
Elric

Post by Elric »

Of course! I've got the time, why not? Also, with slope and drainage issues, I'd have to go with a high end service (which I could afford) as otherwise they make a mess of things with large powered wheeled mowers sliding. I know, because I did pay for mowing for a few years prior to retiring.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
grettman

Post by grettman »

I cut my own lawn. I Change oil and do other auto repair. I’d rather pay for things I CAN’T or don’t want to do. Sure, cutting my lawn isn’t fun but it isn’t like getting my teeth pulled either.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

No lawn to mow, as we live in a condo. However, DW and I clean our own unit, no cleaning service for us.

Tried it once. . .
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

dachshunddad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm No, but I only pay $40/cut. Hard to justify doing it myself at that rate.
I justify it as peace and quiet time from spouse and kids. :)
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy »

I am over 2.5 and use the Stihl iMow robotic lawnmower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG8ksxSxrs

BB
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

EdNorton wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 pm My net worth is slightly more than 2.5 million, not counting house. About $800k taxable, $400k Roth and balance in IRA's and TSP. Current withdrawal from our savings is about 1%. DW thinks I'm a cheap [implied vulgarity removed by Mod Misenplace], I think there's a lot of cheap [implied vulgarity removed by Mod Misenplace] on this board. What say you?
Everyone worth >2.5M I know mows their own lawn. The Billionaire I know mows his own lawn.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
jcar

Post by jcar »

I meet your criteria and I push mow a little over one acre weekly. I've made it part of my exercise program.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

DoctorPhysics wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:02 pm What lawn?

Converted it all to a well designed rock and plant garden with drip.

No more mowing, fantastic way to save an hour a week.
Ditto. Replaced lawn years ago. Front yard is groundcover (violets mostly), shrubs, and bark dust (aka mulch). Back is 2/3 hard scaping and 1/3 bark dust. I use native plants to avoid the need to water in normal years.

I've also never hired a housecleaning service. Yeah, I could afford it but, ... too many buts.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

Not $2 million club. But I would still mow my own lawn (push mower) even if I were at that level. It gives me the physical activity that I need. Keeps me in shape. The day I mow my lawn: it replaces my biking/jogging/walking/aerobics for that day.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

About same situation as you. I do my own yard work, but I replaced the lawn with kurapia, do it just needs edging now and then.

But I do have weekly house cleaning.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I am happy to do all kinds of diy manual labor and regularly do very intense volunteer work and really enjoy it, but I've always disliked any type of yard maintenance chores, especially mowing the lawn. Few things worse for me than the prospect of mindlessly walking behind a mower, made even worse in the heat, and I've lived in the South for 40 years. As soon as I achieved even moderate FI, I elected to never again spend even a minute on lawn mowing. Hired a yard service 15 years ago and never looked back.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

I mow my own lawn. But I grew up with the mentality that if it is green it is a lawn so I guess I should say I mow my own weeds.
Bogle7

Only $1.87M, but, as poors, we make do

Post by Bogle7 »

This a funny thread.

We (ages 72/63) used to have lawn service for our 1000 sqft lawn (on a 3000 sqft lot) for $10, but we decided the service quality was awful.
So, we decided to cut it ourselves.
But, our duplex neighbors (ages 63/63) wanted a service. So, we became the service.
Total time for mow, trim, blowing is 45 minutes. We also fertilize, trim grasses/shrubs, and mulch sporadically. Mulch and fertilizer (product, not labor) are extra charges.
Their $10/mowing has paid for: Ryobi tools, batteries, replacement batteries, replacement trimmer.
However, the $10 does not pay for the craft beer consumed after the laborious effort.
Win, win. So much wining.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I am in the low $2mm range and mow my own lawn (half acre of grass with a riding mower) and shovel my driveway by hand. I am careful to take it slow and easy to avoid overstressing myself. I am 70 years old.

I figure that it is good exercise, along with working in my 2200 sq. ft. garden. I have an image of people driving past a lawn service person to go to a gym because they need to work out.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Not only do I mow my own lawn I also maintain and repair my own lawnmower. I’d die if I could do my own labor. It’s the way I was raised. As soon as the pandemic hit And closed my business, I used the free time to paint my entire house, shutters included. By the way, my almost 80 year old dad still mows his own lawn and gets on his roof to clean his gutters, etc.

And, yes, I’m well past the net worth figure mentioned. My dad is at least 5x the figure mentioned.

The amount of money one has isn’t as closely aligned with what they enjoy doing as some people may think.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70%/30% AA. No mortgage. Simple.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Worse.

Clean my own pool filters.

Why?
$100 for 1/2 hour of work?

I never made $400,000 per year.
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

Never. Ever.

DW enjoys all forms of yard work, DIY repair, painting, remodeling. Only gal in the neighborhood with TWO leaf blowers.

Have offered to hire gardener multiple time. After 33 years I’ve stopped asking...
T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer »

I hope I will (we "only" have ~800k in investments) so while not able to say for sure I image things won't change - I , for the most part, enjoy doing everything DIY. Including lawn care, fertilization its tempting to farm out as the cost for me to buy the raw materials (no not from HD or Lowers) is not that much cheaper then a seasonal service however I have control over both what is used and when it is used which is valuable.

Nothing wrong with having never mowed your lawn or mowing it at 90, to each their own. My lawn tractor is the caddy of lawn tractors (JD X738) and I smile every time I have to use it, I also have a 54" snowblower for the Michigan winters and tend to help the neighbors out most days as I can blow the street and 3-4 driveways in about the same time as most folks do a single driveway. - I generally own commercial grade or very close to it equipment as I find it makes the jobs so much more enjoyable BR-600 anyone :D

I fully expect one day to no want to get out in the cold or mow my lawn but I hope to put that day off as long as I can - I enjoy being outside and appreciating the "art" in quality equipment.
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

I’m at $2.7M and I take care of my lawn, weeds, trimming, leaf pickup, etc.

I do pay someone to (deep) clean my house once a month tho.
pwlldvd

Post by pwlldvd »

Always mowed my own lawn, til about 5 years ago, we replaced it with rocks and plantings.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

The main reason I had kids was to mow my grass.

And once they grew up, I moved to Phoenix.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Unfortunately 2.5 million isn't worth what it once was so I still mow to keep up with our 'Millionaire Next Door' image. About half the neighborhood mows their own lawns and they do it quieter than the pros- smaller machines, many electric, and only one machine working at a time compared with 2-3 guys all running large mowers, leaf blowers, trimmers and edgers simultaneously. I dream of coordinating a neighborhood 'mow day' so all the noise is limited to a single day or two. Might also lower costs for those with services if a competitive bid arrangement can be made to coordinate multiple jobs with a single service.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot