buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
mookie
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm

buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mookie »

Hi, my wife's car just became non-functional, so we're looking to buy a 2021 Toyota Sienna XLE 8 seat in the next few days. Here was my reasoning, I'd like to check here if this all makes sense.

We chose Toyota for the brand reliability, the 2021 Sienna because we like the hybrid and new redesign (and we know that the 2nd row seats don't fold down and are not removable), the 8 seat for the versatility (we have 3 kids and sometimes have guests and haul things), XLE for the Softex seats and the adjustable front passenger side chair.

In deciding on the model, the Limited and XSE don't come in 8 seat. In deciding on the configuration, the AWD doesn't come in 8 seat, and we live in the Philly suburbs so don't think we'll need AWD.

What add-on options are worth buying?

Once we've settled on this, we're going to contact local dealer's internet sales departments and see where we can get the lowest OTD price, paying in full upfront, and then get a price on our trade-in once we're at the dealership making the purchase.
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 11204
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by ResearchMed »

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am Once we've settled on this, we're going to contact local dealer's internet sales departments and see where we can get the lowest OTD price, paying in full upfront, and then get a price on our trade-in once we're at the dealership making the purchase.
Before you finally head to the dealer to "do the deal" and find out their trade-in price, why not take a quick trip to CarMax, just in case they'd offer you more.
They are typically *not* unpleasant to deal with, and importantly, their offer is good for a few days (is it 7?).

The dealer may/may not make you a "good offer", given that they aren't trying to sell you a car. Of course, mostly what that means is they can't fiddle the trade-in offer and the sale price to make one look higher or lower, etc.
However, maybe they would indeed make you a better offer on the old car. You won't know until you have both figures.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
GCD
Posts: 1171
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by GCD »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 am
mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am Once we've settled on this, we're going to contact local dealer's internet sales departments and see where we can get the lowest OTD price, paying in full upfront, and then get a price on our trade-in once we're at the dealership making the purchase.
Before you finally head to the dealer to "do the deal" and find out their trade-in price, why not take a quick trip to CarMax, just in case they'd offer you more.
They are typically *not* unpleasant to deal with, and importantly, their offer is good for a few days (is it 7?).

The dealer may/may not make you a "good offer", given that they aren't trying to sell you a car. Of course, mostly what that means is they can't fiddle the trade-in offer and the sale price to make one look higher or lower, etc.
However, maybe they would indeed make you a better offer on the old car. You won't know until you have both figures.

RM
+1 on the CarMax suggestion. This is exactly what we did and they offered us more than the dealer. I forget now how much it was, but it wasn't a trivial amount and was the reason we went with CarMax instead of the dealer. RM's description of the process was also dead on.
Tingting1013
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by Tingting1013 »

A top of the line Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid will cost $10k less than the Sienna after federal tax credit. Only 7 seats, but the middle two are removable.
Last edited by Tingting1013 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmass
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: MA

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mrmass »

Just a suggestion. Close the deal on or before Dec 31...Closing in Jan doesn't help the dealer attain sales goals-and possibly not try and better the deal.

Finally Carvana likely doesn't care when you buy a local dealer would
Topic Author
mookie
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mookie »

OP here. Thanks for the replies. My wife's car's alternator needs to be replaced, so I don't think it will make it to Carmax to get a quote on how much they would pay for it. I just was looking for a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid to test drive, but there are none available--probably because of that 12/31 deadline for the federal tax rebate.
Tingting1013
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by Tingting1013 »

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 pm OP here. Thanks for the replies. My wife's car's alternator needs to be replaced, so I don't think it will make it to Carmax to get a quote on how much they would pay for it. I just was looking for a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid to test drive, but there are none available--probably because of that 12/31 deadline for the federal tax rebate.
Just a clarification, the tax credit does not expire at the end of the year. But the other Chrysler incentives might.
Topic Author
mookie
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mookie »

Tingting1013 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 pm Just a clarification, the tax credit does not expire at the end of the year. But the other Chrysler incentives might.
How does the tax credit work? If bought in 2021, it would reduce my 2021 tax bill by $7500? I understand that the Pacifica Hybrid is eligible for it but not the Sienna Hybrid.

How would you compare the 2021 Sienna XLE to a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (I think the ones that will be available at this point are 2021)? For the Pacifica Hybrid would you get the Touring L model?

Maybe it's worth replacing the alternator in order to buy us some time to make the Sienna vs. Pacifica decision.
Last edited by mookie on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z91
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by z91 »

+1 on CarMax. At the very least you'll have a baseline price to work with. My CarMax didn't offer me much for my Toyota a few years ago, but the process was so easy I'd go there first.
surfstar
Posts: 2436
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by surfstar »

RE the Pacifica Hybrid - it is a plug-in which qualifies it for the tax credit. There are usually additional rebate opportunities also:

Looks like you can also get a $500 PA rebate and $50 PECO rebate. (kinda low vs what our state and utility offered in CA for a Prius Prime)

If $8000 in credit/rebate makes the Pacifica a much lower priced option, it might be worth doing a strong comparison. I'm not a mini-van shopper, so I have no idea on how they compare/compete.
LawEgr1
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by LawEgr1 »

I mentioned this exact thing in another thread, just be sure you test drive the new Sienna as it wasn't explicitly mentioned. Objectively, the third row windows and rear windows are smaller vs Odyssey and Pacifica which limits visibility.

You may think it's fine though, but wanted to mention it.
squirm
Posts: 3124
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by squirm »

Take the used car to carmax and get a quote from them, then negotiate the value with the dealer.
talzara
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by talzara »

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am We chose Toyota for the brand reliability,
The 2021 Toyota Sienna is built on the same platform as the current-generation Toyota Camry, which is a highly reliable car. The hybrid Camry has also proven itself to be highly-reliable.

The Chrysler Pacifica is very unreliable. Consumer Reports gave it a very low predicted reliability rating, and previous model years in the same generation have also proven to be unreliable. The Pacifica is built on the same platform as the Jeep Cherokee, which is also a very unreliable car.

If you're looking for a reliable car, the Pacifica is not for you. However, $8,000 is a lot of money. You'll have to decide if it's adequate compensation for the risk of having your car in the shop all the time.

You could also lease and treat it as an extended test drive. Keep the car if it's good, and turn it in if it's a lemon. The federal tax credit is still available if you lease.
User avatar
TSquare
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:08 am

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by TSquare »

Not one poster has tried to steer OP to a 10y/o Corolla with narrow width carseats!? C’mon, you guys are slipping!
Goldwater85
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by Goldwater85 »

talzara wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:23 pm
mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am We chose Toyota for the brand reliability,
The 2021 Toyota Sienna is built on the same platform as the current-generation Toyota Camry, which is a highly reliable car. The hybrid Camry has also proven itself to be highly-reliable.

The Chrysler Pacifica is very unreliable. Consumer Reports gave it a very low predicted reliability rating, and previous model years in the same generation have also proven to be unreliable. The Pacifica is built on the same platform as the Jeep Cherokee, which is also a very unreliable car.

If you're looking for a reliable car, the Pacifica is not for you. However, $8,000 is a lot of money. You'll have to decide if it's adequate compensation for the risk of having your car in the shop all the time.

You could also lease and treat it as an extended test drive. Keep the car if it's good, and turn it in if it's a lemon. The federal tax credit is still available if you lease.
We have a 2018 Pacifica and it’s not that bad. Infotainment is slick but the electronics throughout have issues generally. When we bought, it was before Toyota revamped and the obvious choice.

Congrats on settling into a minivan in any event. Less than half the cost of an equivalent capacity SUV and far better suited to dragging young children around town (Lord knows I tried to rationalize a big SUV).
Tingting1013
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by Tingting1013 »

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:08 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 pm Just a clarification, the tax credit does not expire at the end of the year. But the other Chrysler incentives might.
How does the tax credit work? If bought in 2021, it would reduce my 2021 tax bill by $7500? I understand that the Pacifica Hybrid is eligible for it but not the Sienna Hybrid.

How would you compare the 2021 Sienna XLE to a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (I think the ones that will be available at this point are 2021)? For the Pacifica Hybrid would you get the Touring L model?

Maybe it's worth replacing the alternator in order to buy us some time to make the Sienna vs. Pacifica decision.
Here is a great explainer on the $7,500 tax credit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Clarity/commen ... =post_body

It does reduce your taxes by $7,500, but only if your income is high enough to owe $7,500 in the first place.
random_walker_77
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by random_walker_77 »

What vehicle needs the alternator? What's the estimate you've been given?
Note that if your price is from the dealer, you can probably get it fixed a lot cheaper at an independent shop. There are also mobile mechanics who'll come to you and swap it out on your driveway.
You can also eyeball the price for the replacement alternator on amazon, which makes it easy to find replacements that fit your particular vehicle. Labor is more than the part, so you'll want to stay clear of the cheapest ones that are below $100 but above $150, you can probably find a quality alternator. Finally, if you're at all handy, look on youtube for videos about replacing the alternator on your vehicle. This is one of those parts that involves no fluids, so if it's not inaccessible, it might be a simple job.
tbone555
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by tbone555 »

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am Hi, my wife's car just became non-functional, so we're looking to buy a 2021 Toyota Sienna XLE 8 seat in the next few days. Here was my reasoning, I'd like to check here if this all makes sense.

We chose Toyota for the brand reliability, the 2021 Sienna because we like the hybrid and new redesign (and we know that the 2nd row seats don't fold down and are not removable), the 8 seat for the versatility (we have 3 kids and sometimes have guests and haul things), XLE for the Softex seats and the adjustable front passenger side chair.

In deciding on the model, the Limited and XSE don't come in 8 seat. In deciding on the configuration, the AWD doesn't come in 8 seat, and we live in the Philly suburbs so don't think we'll need AWD.

What add-on options are worth buying?

Once we've settled on this, we're going to contact local dealer's internet sales departments and see where we can get the lowest OTD price, paying in full upfront, and then get a price on our trade-in once we're at the dealership making the purchase.
I just bought a 2021 Sienna XLE two weeks ago. I love it so far - it drives so smooth. We got it with the premium package, all weather floor mats, and the power converter. Oh yeah and the entertainment package. We went for the 8-seater so we didn't get AWD.

We paid $41k before taxes and fees. Carmax has two toyota dealerships where they sell new toyotas. One is in Laurel, MD. This is where we found the best deal. They have no-haggle pricing and easily beat all the other dealerships. It may be worth the two-hour drive from Philly. There were customers from NYC and North Carolina when we were in the dealership.
tbone555
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by tbone555 »

tbone555 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:45 pm
mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am Hi, my wife's car just became non-functional, so we're looking to buy a 2021 Toyota Sienna XLE 8 seat in the next few days. Here was my reasoning, I'd like to check here if this all makes sense.

We chose Toyota for the brand reliability, the 2021 Sienna because we like the hybrid and new redesign (and we know that the 2nd row seats don't fold down and are not removable), the 8 seat for the versatility (we have 3 kids and sometimes have guests and haul things), XLE for the Softex seats and the adjustable front passenger side chair.

In deciding on the model, the Limited and XSE don't come in 8 seat. In deciding on the configuration, the AWD doesn't come in 8 seat, and we live in the Philly suburbs so don't think we'll need AWD.

What add-on options are worth buying?

Once we've settled on this, we're going to contact local dealer's internet sales departments and see where we can get the lowest OTD price, paying in full upfront, and then get a price on our trade-in once we're at the dealership making the purchase.
I just bought a 2021 Sienna XLE two weeks ago. I love it so far - it drives so smooth. We got it with the premium package, all weather floor mats, and the power converter. Oh yeah and the entertainment package. We went for the 8-seater so we didn't get AWD.

We paid $41k before taxes and fees. Carmax has two toyota dealerships where they sell new toyotas. One is in Laurel, MD. This is where we found the best deal. They have no-haggle pricing and easily beat all the other dealerships. It may be worth the two-hour drive from Philly. There were customers from NYC and North Carolina when we were in the dealership.
Correction. We paid $40,250 before taxes and fees. Toyota is giving $750 cash back this month. We financed through our credit union
angelescrest
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: MCOL, no state income tax

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by angelescrest »

random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm What vehicle needs the alternator? What's the estimate you've been given?
Note that if your price is from the dealer, you can probably get it fixed a lot cheaper at an independent shop. There are also mobile mechanics who'll come to you and swap it out on your driveway.
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but what does one look for when finding a good mobile mechanic? Didn’t realize this was an option.

FWIW, we would love to get the 2021 Sienna if we were on the market for a new minivan. Looks amazing. We have an 8 seater, but really wish we had a 7, as we almost never use the middle.
random_walker_77
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by random_walker_77 »

angelescrest wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:53 pm
random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm What vehicle needs the alternator? What's the estimate you've been given?
Note that if your price is from the dealer, you can probably get it fixed a lot cheaper at an independent shop. There are also mobile mechanics who'll come to you and swap it out on your driveway.
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but what does one look for when finding a good mobile mechanic? Didn’t realize this was an option.

FWIW, we would love to get the 2021 Sienna if we were on the market for a new minivan. Looks amazing. We have an 8 seater, but really wish we had a 7, as we almost never use the middle.
Good word of mouth (and/or good reviews on google/yelp), and mechanic certifications (ASE?). I'm under the impression that there are simple things like brake pads, oil changes, and swapping out peripheral stuff like starters/alternators/pumps/sensors, and then there are tougher jobs involving the core engine, and transmission. For the former, it's reasonable to get that done with a mobile mechanic, and the latter requires the full toolset at the shop.
SimonJester
Posts: 2242
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by SimonJester »

TSquare wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:29 pm Not one poster has tried to steer OP to a 10y/o Corolla with narrow width carseats!? C’mon, you guys are slipping!
I'll one up this, if your current vehicle only need an alternator then spend the $120 and replace the alternator. Seems like a better deal then a $700 car payment...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
mookie
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mookie »

Besides not having an option for AWD, do you sacrifice anything by going for the 8 seat XLE over the 7 seat XLE?

Also, in terms of options, is the entertainment package nice ("entertainment center w/11.6 inch display, HDMI input, remote, two wireless headphone" for $1415).

In terms of the car that we're getting replaced due to needed repairs: the parts and labor price for alternator was $600 and the rear brake and rotor need to be replaced for another $400. We've been planning to replace it.
kelvan80
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by kelvan80 »

Being able to flip all the rear seats up and down by myself is priceless. I wouldn't even consider a minivan if it didn't have that option. We can essentially use it like a truck.
kiwi123
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by kiwi123 »

Check if Toyota Financial Services is offering a cash incentive when you decide to buy (it's shown on their website). Often it will give you an extra $500-$1000 rebate vs. if you pay cash. You can pay off the loan in 1-3 months with no penalty. The dealer makes extra profit from doing the loan so you can use that to your advantage to negotiate a lower price.
tbone555
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by tbone555 »

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:02 pm Besides not having an option for AWD, do you sacrifice anything by going for the 8 seat XLE over the 7 seat XLE?

Also, in terms of options, is the entertainment package nice ("entertainment center w/11.6 inch display, HDMI input, remote, two wireless headphone" for $1415).

In terms of the car that we're getting replaced due to needed repairs: the parts and labor price for alternator was $600 and the rear brake and rotor need to be replaced for another $400. We've been planning to replace it.
The 7 seater gives you a clear path to walk between the second row. With the midlle seat removed in the 8 seater there is a plastic center area with cup holders attached to one of the captains chairs. This needs to be stepped on/over if you want to enter the third row this way. This center piece is there to receive the removable 8th seat. It all slides forward and backward with the driver's side second row seat. Our kids have no problem entering the third row.

Entertainment package is nice. Headphones work well. Kids can listen to movie through head phones while adults listen to music through speakers. There is no DVD player, but there is an HDMI port that can connect to more expensive smart phones like Iphone and Samsung flagship phones. You can also use Miracast, but my Motorola phone does not support that. You can also use an ipad to plug into the HDMI port.
Topic Author
mookie
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mookie »

I'm now considering 2021 Sienna XLE FWD 8 passenger w/rear entertainment (+$1400), XLE plus ($2000), and 1500W inverter ($300) vs. Limited AWD 7 passenger ($8000 more MSRP than XLE but includes the XLE plus features) w/rear entertainment (+$1400) and 1500W inverter ($300). The added features on the latter are AWD, 2nd row ottoman, leather seats, and power folding side mirrors.

Any thoughts?
slickracer
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:00 am

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by slickracer »

Chrysler reliability gets a bad rap, but I'm not sure as the reality is as bad as the hype. My Wife and I bought a 2018 Ram 1500 a few years ago...she liked the Ram and I liked GM...you can see who won :). In reality, it has been a great vehicle and the interior and ride blow away anything GM and Ford have to offer. You can buy the Chrysler Hybrid, take advantage of the tax credits and put some of the savings into an extended warranty. Sometimes you have to take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt.

We also have a 2008 Sienna that has been a faithful servant for our family but is starting to show its age. Another Sienna is the default choice, however, I will be taking a hard look at the Chrysler. Their UConnect 8.4 system is superior to anything else on the market. And it looks like the dash was designed for it. I can't stand how it looks like Toyota duct taped an iPad to the dash.
BlueCable
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 am

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by BlueCable »

Is the Sienna/Pacifica love over the Odyssey all due to the hybrid transmission?
engin33r
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm
Location: North ATL

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by engin33r »

talzara wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:23 pm
The Chrysler Pacifica is very unreliable. Consumer Reports gave it a very low predicted reliability rating, and previous model years in the same generation have also proven to be unreliable. The Pacifica is built on the same platform as the Jeep Cherokee, which is also a very unreliable car.
Do you have a source for your claim that Pacifica is a Jeep Grand Cherokee platform? My understanding was that FCA spent $2B to design the Pacifica platform from the ground up.

(I own 2020 Pacifica Limited. I am wary of Chrysler but was somewhat comforted by being 4 years into the redesign. 6 months in, the Pacifica has been trouble-free, knock on wood)
Topic Author
mookie
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by mookie »

BlueCable wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:03 am Is the Sienna/Pacifica love over the Odyssey all due to the hybrid transmission?
Yes, we'd like to get a hybrid. I like that the Pacifica Hybrid is electric because the daily commuting, which is short distance, could be done without any gas. But there are none currently available in my area, and I have concerns about its reliability compared to the Sienna.
BlueCable
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 am

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by BlueCable »

mookie wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:06 am
BlueCable wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:03 am Is the Sienna/Pacifica love over the Odyssey all due to the hybrid transmission?
Yes, we'd like to get a hybrid. I like that the Pacifica Hybrid is electric because the daily commuting, which is short distance, could be done without any gas. But there are none currently available in my area, and I have concerns about its reliability compared to the Sienna.
I understand. Friends have gotten such large discounts on Pacificas that I'm considering it, even though I never would have entertained a Chrysler vehicle before. Between the discounts and tax incentives, you can pay for a lot of repairs and depreciation.
tbone555
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by tbone555 »

mookie wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:58 pm I'm now considering 2021 Sienna XLE FWD 8 passenger w/rear entertainment (+$1400), XLE plus ($2000), and 1500W inverter ($300) vs. Limited AWD 7 passenger ($8000 more MSRP than XLE but includes the XLE plus features) w/rear entertainment (+$1400) and 1500W inverter ($300). The added features on the latter are AWD, 2nd row ottoman, leather seats, and power folding side mirrors.

Any thoughts?
I like having the 8th seat. It stores nicely out of the way in the back when not in use. We are a family of four and have friends and family with four. Will be nice to get have room for eight. We like the leatherette sears in the XLE. I'm sure real leather is better/softer, but we don't plan to worry much if the seats get dinged up over time.

You will be happy either way. I really love driving this van.
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1835
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

slickracer wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:30 am Sometimes you have to take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt.
I am amused at the frequent trashing of the Consumer Reports' reviews and ratings. For sure, they sometimes value things that I don't and undervalue things that are important to me. But they (generally) buy their vehicles, accept no financial support from the manufacturers, and have their own professional staff and 300-acre testing facility.

They also do an (unscientific) survey of the readership collecting experiences of tens of thousands of owners. So if their reviews need a grain of salt, what about random people on the internet or car magazines that are financially supported, wined and dined by the manufacturers? Their report on the Pacifica, for example, discusses the poor reliability. An individual chiming in that they have never had a problem with their example carries little weight. You might decide to buy one anyway and the suggestion of an extended warranty might figure into your calculation.

If you buy a car without looking at their reviews you are leaving lots of good data out of your decision.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
talzara
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: buying a 2021 Toyota Sienna in the next few days

Post by talzara »

engin33r wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:19 am Do you have a source for your claim that Pacifica is a Jeep Grand Cherokee platform? My understanding was that FCA spent $2B to design the Pacifica platform from the ground up.
I never said that the Chrysler Pacifica was built on the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform. The Grand Cherokee is a completely different car from the Cherokee.

The Chrysler Pacifica and the Jeep Cherokee are both built on the Fiat Compact platform. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is built on a Mercedes W166 platform.

FCA would like you to think that it spent $2 billion designing a new platform for the Pacifica, but it actually adapted an existing platform.
The reimagined Pacifica does its best to meld both concepts, its “all-new” platform is once again a warmed-over derivative of one of the company’s bread and butter platforms— in this case, the Compact US Wide (CUSW) platform — to once again offer comfort and efficiency, but now with a new touch of refinement.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/201 ... -made.html
Post Reply